Is testing on animals OK or NOT?

clayton

Registered Senior Member
What are your thoughts and or feelings on the topic of Is testing on animals OK or NOT OK.

This should have been posted in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice'.
Agreed. Done.

As to the thread topic, of course it's Ok so long as measures are taken to not be unnecessarily cruel.

After all, we can eat them. We can kill them for fur or leather. We can keep them as pets. We can train them to perform in the circus. But we can't use them for important medical research?

Last edited:
Since humans are animals and they can choose, I'd think it is up to each person to decide if they would allow testing to be performed on them or not.

Putting nail polish on a bunny's eye to see the effects isn't okay. There are several things that are not okay, and downright retarded. I wonder what human's going to paint his eyes with nail polish.:rolleyes:

Putting nail polish on a bunny's eye to see the effects isn't okay. There are several things that are not okay, and downright retarded. I wonder what human's going to paint his eyes with nail polish.:rolleyes:
How about what human is going to burn their eyes with a curling iron? I've seen that about three times. How about what human is going to put tic poison in their eye? I saw that this morning. How about what human is going to spray battery acid in his eye? Seen that too. Glue his eyes shut with super glue? Yep. Stab themselves in the eye with a pencil? Seen that twice. Hit self in eye with a golf ball? Once. A paintball? Once (that was nasty). A thorn bush. A bug stuck in the eye.....

You'd be amazed at the stuff people get in their eyes.

How about what human is going to burn their eyes with a curling iron? I've seen that about three times. How about what human is going to put tic poison in their eye? I saw that this morning. How about what human is going to spray battery acid in his eye? Seen that too. Glue his eyes shut with super glue? Yep. Stab themselves in the eye with a pencil? Seen that twice. Hit self in eye with a golf ball? Once. A paintball? Once (that was nasty). A thorn bush. A bug stuck in the eye.....

You'd be amazed at the stuff people get in their eyes.

So the reason for doing it to an animal is to test treatments?

Eventually we have to test it in humans and that's what college students are for....

I imagine it would be done in order to test medical treatments. I agree with you unnecessary experimentation is unwarranted. But then you get into the question what is unwarranted experimentation? Is it ok for students to conduct animal experimentation as a learning experience? I remember doing same in high school. I didn't think much of it at the time. I captured and experiemented on Rats.

I think many of us do not recognize how violent and cruel life is in the natural world. How cruel is it for animals to be eaten alive? It happens every day in the wild. This dos not warrant cruelity...but just to put animal experimenation it into perspective.

No I don't think it is 'ok', unfortunately it seems that in some cases it is warranted (medical research) but I think we need very tight regulations in place to ensure that an absolute minimum of animals are used and that they do not suffer as a result.

My problem with animal testing isn't just that sometimes it is a complete waste of time, it is the intrinsic cruelty of it. Why not test on brain damaged chidren? Why is it ok to force testing on animals but not humans?

More should be done to develop alternatives, and I know this is happening but not nearly enough.

Instead of testing on animals, we should test things on people who protest the testing on animals. After all, they should better DO something about it, and what is better then volunteering for testing?

I'm not the one who's walking around with nail polish, so why should I become a test subject just so that some **** can walk around with red nails?

To the other, there are alternatives where you don't even require a living being to test on. I mean if Body Shop can do it, why can't other companies, too? I thought we're smart enough not to create a Unit 731 for living beings..I mean...we can fly to the moon.

Just write 'Alternatives to vivisection' in your google bar, and several results will show up.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002683...lternatives+to+vivisection&ie=utf-8&sa=Search

http://altweb.jhsph.edu/

I imagine it would be done in order to test medical treatments. I agree with you unnecessary experimentation is unwarranted. But then you get into the question what is unwarranted experimentation? Is it ok for students to conduct animal experimentation as a learning experience? I remember doing same in high school. I didn't think much of it at the time. I captured and experiemented on Rats.
Is it okay? In my opinion, it's not okay because it's not needed any more. There are all sorts of visual media to capture a vivisection with, and then show it as a video, or on photos to students. To the other, it might unnecessarily traumatise some. I know for sure that I would have refused to do it, and I'm actually glad that our school never did such things with us. I can't imagine anyone sane feeling good when cutting a still living rat open, especially when they know they could have just simply looked at pictures. Why does a child need to learn how to torture and cut a frog, or rat open at school anyway? Tell me.

If using a mayfly or other small critter will help humanity overcome some type of problems then by all means do so. However using a chimp, dog or cat would be very disturbing to me and I wouldn't think it was needed. It really depended upon what kind of research was being done.

Agreed. Done.

As to the thread topic, of course it's Ok so long as measures are taken to not be unnecessarily cruel.

After all, we can eat them. We can kill them for fur or leather. We can keep them as pets. We can train them to perform in the circus. But we can't use them for important medical research?

So basicly you think that it is in a way but not testing poisons on helpless animals.

Back