Is Satan the source of evil?

Evil intrinsic, or acqired

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
but then evil is not intrinsic as stated earlier, but acquired

Evil is acquired much the same way the AIDS virus was, and then passed on from generation to successive generation.

So that even though the human race was created good, the "virus" of evil has become in a sense spiritually hereditary.

Evil intrinsic, or acqired

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
but then evil is not intrinsic as stated earlier, but acquired

Evil is acquired much the same way the AIDS virus was, and then passed on from generation to successive generation.

So that even though the human race was created good, the "virus" of evil has become in a sense spiritually hereditary.

Re: Evil intrinsic, or acqired

Originally posted by biblthmp

if evil is like AIDS then it had to be created first. Only god would have been capable of creating evil then. On purpose! An evil act!
Originally posted by biblthmp

God did not fill humans with evil, he filled them with free will.

if there is free will then there is also no evil. It wouldn't matter what adam ever did because he did it out of his own free will. We have then the free will not to accept the decision by adam. But apparently we haven't since we are evil. And this trade has been determined by adam. Where is the free will in that?

we are contaminated? We never wanted to be contaminated. Adam was apparently responsible for this. God then knew he/she was possibly contaminating humans with evil by tempting adam. We never had a decision in this process, hence never had free will.

If we would then state that we actually do have free will then that would mean that god doesn't exist.

Originally posted by Enkidu
I had a conversation with some one about…..If Satan was Gods “evil double”.

Now didn’t Satan and the other fallen angels fight the arc angels, then God sent them to be the keepers of hell? Where hell is the keeper of the evil. Is Satan the source of evil, or is man the source of evil? Will Satan come and spread his evil over Gods people, or will we bring our own evil upon aware selves?

Well no,human nature is evil and satan represents us going back to nature,everything else is a hypocritical facade.
But the proof is in the pudding as they say,that people can be good even in nature's root level,or maybe its just what morals you have drummed into you.

If i took law away,took away politics and religion then you would live how you want to,
now if you wanna kill someone you can do it,but thats your choice not satans,theres plenty of people that would still do good things even without laws,religion and so on.

You dont see animals killing each other for no reason every day,and even if you did its cos they have less intelligence and dont quiet have the same emotions overall.

If you will kill,steal,rape and so on without law,religion,politics then you are evil through and through,and the only thing keeping you in line is law and religion cos you fear punishment.

However there are many people out there that would not do evil,no matter what the case is,law or no law,punishment or no punishment,if they can do it,whats wrong with everyone else?

Thats what a good person is,its someone who is naturally a good person and wouldnt do what people consider wrong even if there was no law,religion and punishment.

Bear in mind there are plenty of people who do bad things even though law is in place,even though they may be religous,this means they are not only inherently evil but they also have no fear of punishment,it may also turn out that society has made them that way.

But perhaps as i stated earlier,you are only a good or bad person depending on how you are taught,brought up or your natural personality thyats evolved out from how others have treated you,perhaps we are all born evil but shown why you musnt do bad things cos you wouldnt want them done to yourself,treat others how youd want to be treated.

Unfortunatly theres actually quiet a large amount of people born without empathy,i call them handicapped,cos they only stay in line if they fear punishment,they are the most dangerous people on the planet youll ever meet,and you probably meet them alot and not know it.

More Psyco than indian

Dear psyco
You are arguing just for the sake of arguing you do not express an opinion. You did it before when you dismissed my submissions as crap yet of in your typical fashion you did not substantiate what you are saying (probably because your position on thast issue is wrong)

Re your last retort are you stupid enough to expect an absence of assumptions when one is rationalising spirits or god or satan.

Yeah well the way i understand it satan was the most beautiful angle that god had made, and the strongest.
He was the divided of earth from the heavens, he in this way held up the heavens, and tried the soles of people, meaning you could no go to heaven without frist being tried.
over all you had to pass the test to enter heaven, satan tried you on earth, such as christ was tried in the desert. satan was also the binder of man to woman, that the kingdom of men would contiune on, on earth.
he is the one that keeps you siiners from tainting the kingdom of god. no satan is not the source of evil sinners are, satan just keeps your sins from reaching good kingdom. plainly you can reach the kingdom of good with out passing through the kingdom of satan, if oyu prove unworthy then you are held back. to re try ect....... Satan is gods gaurdian angle.

DWAYNE D.L.RABON

"Primary" source material needed

It is as I expected.

First, of the Bible: Please understand that the canon is a political result, the arrangement of men seeking to exploit certain components to certain ends. The Bible has some difficulty gaining historical substantiation.

Of Josephus: Josephus is a secondary source.
Of Tacitus: Tacitus is a secondary source.

In fact, I'll point you to Infidels.org, and direct your attention especially to the latter portion of Tacitus and Jesus:
Conceivably, Tacitus may just be repeating what he was told by Christians about Jesus. If so, then this passage merely confirms that there were Christians in Tacitus' time, and that they believed that Pilate killed Jesus during the reign of Tiberius. This would not be independent confirmation of Jesus's existence. If, on the other hand, Tacitus found this information in Roman imperial records (to which he had access) then that could constitute independent confirmation. There are good reasons to doubt that Tacitus is working from Roman records here, however. For one, he refers to Pilate by the wrong title (Pilate was a prefect, not a procurator). Secondly, he refers to Jesus by the religious title "Christos". Roman records would not have referred to Jesus by a Christian title, but presumably by his given name. Thus, there is excellent reason to suppose that Tacitus is merely repeating what Christians said about Jesus, and so can tell us nothing new about Jesus's historicity.
This is the problem with secondary sources. They are not primary sources. Roman records, for instance--those would constitute primary sources. Hitherto, I have yet to see a primary-source confirmation of Jesus' existence.
Your argument may have held some weight, had not Jesus the annointed come to earth, as a historical figure, to exemplify to us, what is the perfect good.
I submit that it still holds weight. Jesus as a historical figure has not yet been resolved as true.

Believe me--if someone had made the demonstration, we would have heard about it. Tickertape parades and dancing in the streets. Well, for most Christians. The rest can do the Charleston.

But it hasn't happened yet, and without a lucky cache of Roman records showing anything from a Joseph and Mary paying taxes to an execution warrant would do.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Luke 10
17The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name."
18He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.

As Tiassa so eloquently demonstrated, demonology and the study of the occult is an extrabiblical past-time. In the Bible, the threat of evil is subjected to the danger of sin.
Jer.2:35 you say, 'I am innocent; he is not angry with me.' But I will pass judgment on you because you say, 'I have not sinned.'

Evil has been vanquished already. The place where he is mentioned most is in Job, who did not submit to Satan but to God even through suffering.

"Satan" means accuser. He is also called the father of lies and masquerades as an angel of light. He tempts us to do sin, and sin is rebellion against God. That is what Adam did wrong, and that is what people are still doing wrong. We are not simply condemned by what Adam did long ago, we are still a part of it. Consider the following:

Jer.2:3 Israel was holy to the LORD, the firstfruits of his harvest; all who devoured her were held guilty, and disaster overtook them,' declares the LORD.

People are still "crucifying" Jesus, and accusing Christians of believing in the unseen. Christians are also accused by Satan for following God. Nobody is exempt from Satan's influence. We also see that Jesus did not bother to differentiate between Satan as a mindset and Satan as an anthropomorphical being.

Peter did not agree with what Jesus said would happen, he fell asleep when Jesus was praying, he did not stay true to Jesus when he was accused of knowing him but disowned him. Jesus said:
Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

This is the same Peter after Jesus ressurrection:
Acts 4:8Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people! 9If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, 10then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11He is
" 'the stone you builders rejected,
which has become the capstone.' 12Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
13When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

Zechariah 3:1 Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right side to accuse him. 2 The LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD, who has chosen Jerusalem, rebuke you! Is not this man a burning stick snatched from the fire?" 3 Now Joshua was dressed in filthy clothes as he stood before the angel. 4 The angel said to those who were standing before him, "Take off his filthy clothes."
Then he said to Joshua, "See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put rich garments on you."
8 " 'Listen, O high priest Joshua and your associates seated before you, who are men symbolic of things to come: I am going to bring my servant, the Branch [Christ]. 9 See, the stone I have set in front of Joshua! There are seven eyes on that one stone, and I will engrave an inscription on it,' says the LORD Almighty, 'and I will remove the sin of this land in a single day.
10 " 'In that day each of you will invite his neighbor to sit under his vine and fig tree,' declares the LORD Almighty."

Jesus came to earth to "...open [our] eyes and turn [us] from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that [we] may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me." (Acts 26:18)

As long as we stand accused, we are guilty until proven innocent, and through Jesus we are made innocent. It is a complex interplay - all of which serves the Lord's purpose. But we know what is right and therefore should do it.

Last edited:
DW... i wasn't absolutely dismissin what you were sayin as crap.. what i asked for is how were you basing your statements.. for eg. this one..

So we may say LIVE backwards is indeed EVIL (punn intended) and this then forms a natural corrollary and that is to say one that was productive and good is one who LIVED as opposed to those acting degeneratively or backwards may be deemed DEVIL.

its a very clever twist on words i have to say... im just wonderin if you're philosophizin on this or you are sayin it from a religious point of view... and i asked you cuz i didn't wanna make an assumption on what you were saying...

Re your last retort are you stupid enough to expect an absence of assumptions when one is rationalising spirits or god or satan.

we can talk about this all day and get nowhere... you are makin an assumption based on a few givens which haven't been proved..

im just wonderin what are you exactly trynna say...

Wow!

So we may say LIVE backwards is indeed EVIL (punn intended) and this then forms a natural corrollary and that is to say one that was productive and good is one who LIVED as opposed to those acting degeneratively or backwards may be deemed DEVIL.
Does that work in French, Swahili, and Tlingit, as well?!

:m:,

Re: "Primary" source material needed

Originally posted by tiassa
It is as I expected.

First, of the Bible: Please understand that the canon is a political result, the arrangement of men seeking to exploit certain components to certain ends. The Bible has some difficulty gaining historical substantiation.
thanx,

Where is your evidence for this, or was this a revelation you received, after some bad ganga?

Re: "Primary" source material needed

Originally posted by tiassa
It is as I expected.

thanx,

Where is your evidence for this, or was this a revelation you received, after some bad ganga?

Adam and Eve

Adam wasn't the only one who "screwed up," Eve took the first bite, which would explain why females have to go through menstraul cycles, and deliver babies, it's a punish towards women, for having eaten that on juicy, and very tempting apple.:)

Evil is as evil does.

On that note, if Satan had been god's favorite, and become stuffy and concieted before deciding that he wanted to run the show, wouldn't that mean that evil already existed, and that satan just decided to partake of it? So much for "perfect creation of God".

BTW, Hyperwader is my new personal hero.

Notes on the Canon

Biblethmp
We've heard it all before :rolleyes:

One question: is this the best you can come up with?

At any rate, we can start with Irenaeus of Lyon:
It is not possible that the Gospels can be either more or fewer in number than they are. For, since there are four zones of the world in which we live, and four principal winds, while the Church is scattered throughout all the world, and the "pillar and ground" of the Church is the Gospel and the spirit of life; it is fitting that she should have four pillars, breathing out immortality on every side, and vivifying men afresh. From which fact, it is evident that the Word, the Artificer of all, He that sitteth upon the cherubim, and contains all things, He who was manifested to men, has given us the Gospel under four aspects, but bound together by one Spirit. (Adversus Haereses, 3, 11, 8)
This is stellar logic :bugeye:

But there you have your reason why there's four gospels.
There was no canon of scripture in the early Church; there was no Bible. The Bible is the book of the Church; she is not the Church of the Bible. It was the Church--her leadership, faithful people--guided by the authority of the Spirit of Truth which discovered the books inspired by God in their writing. The Church did not create the canon. Fixed canons of the Old and New Testaments, hence the Bible, were not known much before the end of the 2nd and early 3rd century. ("The Canon of the Bible")
This document, from Catholic Apologetics Org, states it clearly: It was the Church--her leadership, faithful people--guided by the authority of the Spirit of Truth which discovered the books inspired by God in their writing.

The site even lists criteria:
Canonical books are those books which have been acknowledged as belonging to the list of books the Church considers to be inspired and to contain a rule of faith and morals. Some criteria used to determine canonicity were
special relation to God, i.e., inspiration;

• apostolic origin;
• used in Church services, i.e., used by the community of believers
• guided by the Holy Spirit.

Other terms for canonical books should be distinguished: the protocanonical books, deuterocanonical books, and the apocryphal books.

The protocanonical (from the Greek proto meaning first) books are those books of the Bible that were admitted into the canon of the Bible with little or no debate (e.g., the Pentateuch of the Old Testament and the Gospels)

The deuterocanonical (from the Greek deutero meaning second) books are those books of the Bible that were under discussion for a while until doubts about their canonicity were resolved (e.g., Sirach and Baruch of the Old Testament, and the Johannine epistles of the New Testament).

The apocryphal (from the Greek apokryphos meaning hidden) books have multiple meanings:
a complimentary meaning - that the sacred books were too exalted for the general public;
pejorative meaning - that the orthodoxy of the books were questioned;
heretical meaning - that the books were forbidden to be read; and lastly
neutral meaning - simply noncanonical books, the meaning the word has today.

Another word, pseudepigrapha (from the Greek meaning false writing) is used for works clearly considered to be false.
(ibid)
Look at the criteria for aporcryphal:

- Too exalted?
- Pejorative? Who determined the orthodoxy but an assembly of men?
- Heretical? Well, we've seen what constitutes heretical to Irenaeus; four principal winds ... :bugeye:
- Neutral: Hey, one out of four ain't bad.

But please understand, these determinations are made by men, according to the priorities most immediate to them.

A Protestant Bible is merely a Catholic Bible with several Old Testament books cut out for reasons apparent to the immediate priorities of those who shaved words off The Word:
Dispute arises over the canon of Scripture due to the fact that the Greek Septuagint contains forty-six books while the Hebrew version only thirty-nine. The additional books are Tobias, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), Baruch, and 1 & 2 Maccabees. In addition, there are extra fragments and chapters in the Septuagint versions of Esther and Daniel, namely: the seven last chapters of Esther (10, 4 to 16, 24); the prayer of Azarias and the canticle of the three children in the fiery furnace (Dan. 3, 24-90); the history of Susanna (Dan. 13); and the history of Bel and the Dragon (Dan. 14). Together, these additional books and paragraphs constitute the Deuterocanon.

_

Dispute has also arisen at times over the canon of the New Testament. Some early Christians had doubts as to the genuineness of Hebrews, 2 Peter, 2 & 3 John, St. James, St. Jude and Revelation. These doubts were echoed by some of the early Protestant Reformers, notably Martin Luther. Added to this confusion, some in the early Church regarded letters such as the Epistles of Barnabas and Clement, among others, as scriptural. The oldest scrolls in our possession which give a complete list of the Old Testament books date back only to the 4th century AD.
("The Canon of the Bible")
I include the following bit simply because, seriously, I hadn't known there were any Anabaptists left:
The Apocrypha contains fourteen books, namely, 1 and 2 Esdras, Tobit, Judith, the rest of Esther, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, the Song of the Three Children, the Story of Susannah, Bel and the Dragon, the Prayer of Manasses, and 1 and 2 Maccabees. it is true that by some of the fathers of the Christian church a few of these books have been quoted as canonical, but they were not looked on in this light; nor were their titles included in any list of canonical writings during the first four centuries after the birth of our Lord. It was not, indeed, until the Council of Trent, in 1545, that they were definitely declared to be an integral portion of Holy Scripture as acknowledged by the Romish church. "Philo," says Angus, "never quotes them as he does the sacred Scriptures; and Josephus expressly excludes them. The Jewish church never received them as part of the canon, and they are never quoted either by our Lord or by His apostles; a fact the more striking as St. Paul twice quotes heathen poets. It is remarkable, too, that the last inspired prophet closes his predictions by recommending to his countrymen the books of Moses, and intimates that no other messenger is to be expected by them till the coming of the second Elijah (Mal. 4:4-6) * * * Internal evidence, moreover, is against their inspiration. Divine authority is claimed by none of the writers, and by some it is virtually disowned (2 Mac. 2:23; 15:38). The books contain statements at variance with history (Baruch 1:2, compared with Jer. 43:6,7), self-contradictory, and opposed to the doctrines and precepts of Scripture." ("How the Canon of the Bible Came to Us"
I boldfaced that last portion because it sheds light on the criteria of the Canon. You'll note the justifications respect a priori the accepted Canon.

Excerpts from another page; I feel it's getting a little repetitive:
The Canon, then, is the collection of 66 books properly recognized by the early church as the complete authoritative scriptures not to be added to or subtracted from. In general, certain semi-specific tests could be used to determine the Canon.

* Does the work carry the concept of being authoritative ("Thus saith the Lord"?)
* Is the work prophetic, that is, does the author set forth the "claim" of being a "a man of God" (2 Peter 1:20)? A book in the Bible must have the authority of a spiritual leader of Israel (Old Testament - prophet, king, judge, scribe) or an apostle of the church (New Testament - an original apostle. This does not have to mean an Apostle actually wrote the book, merely that it be connected to an Apostle in some fashion. Likewise, the same may be said for the books of the Old Testament.).
* Is the book otherwise consistent with other revelation of truth?
* Does the book change lives?
* Has it received, accepted and used by the nation of Israel and / or the Church? This test is not as simple as it may sound. Remember there were no copy machines in those days. All of the manuscripts were hand copied. And while for most of its life, the nation of Israel had the Tabernacle or the Temple as a storehouse for the Old Testament scrolls, much of the New Testament is a series of letters written to the early Church and circulated between cities.

How was the Canon actually formed? God the Holy Spirit formed the Canon (2 Peter 1:20-21). But, man being man, had to go through the motions of "forming" the Canon so as to ultimately accept which books God meant to have in Scripture. Here are but a a few of the highlights:

* As far as the Old Testament goes, the books were probably collected by Ezra and appear to be in tact by about 250 B.C. when they are translated into Greek.
* The New Testament refers to Old Testament books as "scripture" (Matt.21:42, as an example).
* The Council of Jamnia (A.D. 90) recognized our 39 Old Testament books.
* Josephus (A.D. 95) indicated that the 39 Old Testament books were recognized a authoritative.
* The New Testament books were determined by the early church.
* The apostles claimed authority for their writings (1 Thess.5:27)
* The apostle's writings were equated with Old Testament Scriptures (2 Pet.3:2,15,16).
* The Council of Athenasius (A.D. 367) and the Council of Carthage (A.D. 397) recognized the 27 books in our New Testament today as inspired.
(Jude Ministries "The Canon of the Bible")
You can get the same and much more from Bible Org's "Survey of Bible Doctrine: The Bible", which includes a definition of canon:
Definition: The collection of 66 books were properly recognized by the early church as the complete authoritative scriptures not to be added to or subtracted from. (IV, A)
From Carthage:
Canon 24. Besides the canonical Scriptures, nothing shall be read in church under the name of divine Scriptures. Moreover, the canonical Scriptures are these: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua the son of Nun, Judges, Ruth, the four books of the Kings, the two books of Chronicles, Job, the Psalms of David, five books of Solomon, the book of the Twelve [minor] Prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Tobias, Judith, Esther, the two books of Ezra, and the two books of the Maccabees. The books of the New Testament: the Gospels, four books; the Acts of the Apostles, one book; the epistles of the apostle Paul, thirteen; of the same to the Hebrews, one epistle; of Peter, two; of John the apostle, three; of James, one; of Jude, one; the Revelation of John. Concerning the confirmation of this canon, the Church across the sea shall be consulted. On the anniversaries of martyrs, their acts shall also be read ("Third Council of Carthage, Canon 24")
I should ask, Biblthmp, what evidence would be satisfactory. If the in-house historical summaries of various Christian organizations is insufficient, please let me know.

It should be noted that part of Christian faith inherently involves accepting as fact the notion that those who walked in Christ's way before you have been perfect, as their heavenly father is perfect. But, as all people are born into sin, they are by God's grace imperfect. Specious logic, sophistic presumption--these are the hallmarks of nearly any large-scale human endeavor. As a final note, I would turn you toward a picture of the early church, taken from Karen Armstrong's A History of God, and quoted by me in a prior topic. It's a long quote, and best not reproduced here. Please follow this link and give consideration to the quoted segment from pages 109-111 in said book which appear in the first response to the topic post.

The Christian Institution is specifically that: an institution. It has administrative rules, an overarching paradigm, and legions of rank-and-file believers who put teamsters to shame for bandwagon self-destruction. Christianity is the creation of human beings, and subject to human corruptions. The politics of the early church should be enough to demonstrate that Christianity is not immune to human infection. Luther was a tax-protester. The Protestant Canon is merely trimmed from the Catholic in an effort to remove some of the glaring contradictions in order to present the Bible as a history, and not as merely a holy text.

One need not be stoned to see it. But marijuana does make the irony more palatable.

:m:,

Tiassa - you're argument is, as always, very eloquent. But you seem to hold all this as evidence of corruption? That the Bible has become more concise and to the point, with its content and material having been sifted an reasessed, is a testimony to the sincerity of the people who take it most seriously. That is why the four gospels weren't reduced to one "authorative" and non-contradictory one.

Granted, it might seem like burocratical hidden-agenda type stuff - as if the content was doctored to fit their conscience. But the myths and facts of the matter all point towards one message: that God has set in motion a plan for salvation. And it involves a large-scale human endavour. And why should we be immune to anything anybody else is not?

The protestants do not use the apocryphal, and most deuterocanonical books for the same reasons that you reject them. We use the protocanonical books not only for reasons evident to a select few, as you know - the complete message is intact. The main reason is to hold the message that God sent us, and while accepting the human side of it, not become trapped by it. Human reason and understanding will always be fallible and incomplete - but God is complete, and we are part of Him. Our incompleteness in Him makes us whole, if only in theory at the moment. Eventually it will be in practice.

Umm ... yeah

But you seem to hold all this as evidence of corruption? That the Bible has become more concise and to the point, with its content and material having been sifted an reasessed, is a testimony to the sincerity of the people who take it most seriously. That is why the four gospels weren't reduced to one "authorative" and non-contradictory one.
Well, Jenyar, take as an example, oh .... Irenaeus (see prior posts). I mean, come on. How seriously can I take Irenaeus?

I pointed Biblthmp toward this old topic because in the first response to the topic post I included a lengthy quote from Karen Armstrong regarding the Council at Nicaea. As Athanasius and Arius duked it out, Athanasius presented a condition which would more or less come to be held heretical in later days. The condition was that Christ was more than just a man; he could not picture a frail human Redeemer, and required something more. Yet, interestingly enough, the topic that post is in seizes directly on the consequence of that logical sacrifice. It was mere ego--not wishing to believe that Jesus was merely a man endowed by God--that pushed Nicaea into the realm of the ridiculous. I cannot take these processes seriously because I'm not sure they warrant serious consideration. Honestly, there are many bizarre religious events and standards with which I can empathize in the abstract. The pettiness that must have dominated Nicaea is greater than my self-restraint allows me to imagine in another human being; it is indecent to regard someone as that unintelligent, yet Athanasius chose pride.

Reading the early church documents, the epistles of the Apostolic Fathers, for instance--they're insane. Is it Origen who was the castrato? I mean, bluster and bravado and demonizing Jews and then all manner of silly logic--people were put to death because of logic like Irenaeus'.

Consider, please:
That is why the four gospels weren't reduced to one "authorative" and non-contradictory one.
If you think that my difficulties with the Bible involve the notion of there being too many books, I must smile as I correct you. Rather, I think there are too few. The story of the Christ is a tradition in history, a myth which holds significant and myriad implications. People make far too much of it, though. They seem to seriously believe that Heaven and Hell are at stake. If such a thing as a perfect truth existed, the Kingdom of God would be here and now. And that's what I don't understand. And the last major Reformation of the Christian organization saw several books removed from the canon in order to make the myth read more like a history. The contradictions are only important because the people who believe in the Bible seem to believe in a way that makes them important.

Biblical faith in the modern day is absurd! From shielding pedophiles to televangelism to school boards and libraries, ballot boxes and doctor's offices--what is going on here? How is it that these things have become important? Children still starve, wives still get beaten, the dying still need forgiveness. Yet its gays and abortion and thou-shalt-not-love and creationism-as-science and by the way, did I mention that I'm an American, and that means my tax dollars are paying for a holy war?

And all I really want to know is how?! Think of it this way: in the end, I don't care what any person chooses to be as long as they don't hurt others. And right now, Christianity has a net effect on the world that is harmful. I do not call for extermination, I do not yell for the silencing of the flock. We're on this rock together, and as with all other things, I, Tiassa, would rather know why things are the way they are. Strangely, most days I feel like I have a better idea than most. Go figure.

The answer so far seems to be that Christianity, being a modular addition to Judaism, is modular in and of itself. It is designed institutionally, and thus is the faith cultivated. That the canon and the creeds are political is almost beyond doubt; I say almost because some people still manage to doubt it.

The difference between theory and practice is whether or not the theory is viewed clearly. At the moment, Christians themselves cannot agree on what the theory actually is. Admittedly, this is a possible outcome of building and regulating on the fly. But in the history of the Canon, I don't see much to take seriously. It's all been rather quite political.

thanx,

Tiassa,

I won't disagree with you that religious folks and scientists alike have made some ridiculous statements - and probably still are (we'll only know in retrospect).

But to use Nicea as the gunpoint from which religion has fired its man-made myths and smote millions of innocent tabula rasas. Even the argument that the New Testament is anti-Semitic is a bit short-sighted. In villainising the Jews instead of the Romans the Bible makes clear under whose laws Jesus was crucified: under the 'mythical laws' of religion, while the unbiased roman laws were the hands that similtaneously washed itself clean and delivered the lethal punishment. The Bible shows have both, and we are no different than Jew or Roman in our convictions. Whether saint or sinner - all have had a part in condemning Jesus.

And yes it is political. It is also social, economical and psychological. The people in question used to be Israel and Jerusalem (to some it still is), but the gospel brought God's message to all the world: that we are all chosen for salvation, and have all received it through the resurrection of Jesus. Jesus was fully God and fully human. His torture and death was physical and mental, with all the pain and suffering we know first-hand ourselves. But God raised Jesus, and God's Spirit which gives life remained intact. It is this suffering and this Spirit that we share. What people could kill is what died, and what God gave life is what lived.

Which is why the kingdom of God is here and now. Christians could have stayed being Jews and war-waited for the messiah easily. Yet Jesus wanted us to change our ways, which is why he has a following as peacemaker even among non-christians. He preached that we can't use religion or law anymore to validate our faith or our freedom. "Our fight is not against flesh and blood..." We could only use our faith in God's ability to save our lives.

So our goal is the same, Tiassa. Only I don't know how someone with your intelligence can blame Christianity for the world's suffering any more than you can blame humanity. Why do you call Iraq a holy war, if it isn't waged under the banner of religion? Would you say this a religious war more than it is political? don't think so. It's people waging war against people. Terrorism certainly isn't Christian. Then on which side are you on? We are all on the same rock. It's our "why's" that differ.

Jenyar

But to use Nicea as the gunpoint from which religion has fired its man-made myths and smote millions of innocent tabula rasas. Even the argument that the New Testament is anti-Semitic is a bit short-sighted
Not quite as short-sighted as you might think. The topic is narrow--Is Satan the source of all evil? Trying to discuss that in the context of its own issues is one thing, and while it is predictable that to someone like me that Satan is not the source of all evil, it is also important to me to help Christians get past this silly notion.
In villainising the Jews instead of the Romans the Bible makes clear under whose laws Jesus was crucified: under the 'mythical laws' of religion, while the unbiased roman laws were the hands that similtaneously washed itself clean and delivered the lethal punishment.
What's funny about that is that the Bible depicts Pilate as a hand-wringing moron; this is obviously a more favorable depiction than deliberately cruel or tyrannical. This notion is explored in Pagels' Origin of Satan, but I haven't the book on hand right now; in the meantime, Rutgers University offers the following:
The Pilate described by Josephus & the Roman historian Tacitus was a strong willed, inflexible military governor who was insensitive to the religious scruples of his Jewish & Samaritan subjects & relentless in suppressing any potential disturbance. This stands in sharp contrast to the impression conveyed in the Christian gospels which, for apologetic reasons, portray him as reluctant to execute Jesus. Pilate's decade long tenure [26-36 CE] testifies to both his relative effectiveness in maintaining order & to the aging emperor's lack of personal attention to administrative affairs. The ruthless slaughter of thousands of Samaritan pilgrims by Pilate's cavalry [ca. 36 CE], however, led to such a strong Palestinian protest that Pilate was eventually recalled to Rome. Tiberius died before his return; but the new emperor [Caligula] relieved Pilate of his command & exiled him to Gaul [Vienne-on-Rhone]. In good Roman military fashion, as one who had suffered defeat & public disgrace, he committed suicide. ("Pontius Pilate")
In villainizing the Jews instead of the Romans, the authors of what would become the Gospels were playing to the Romans for favor.
The people in question used to be Israel and Jerusalem (to some it still is), but the gospel brought God's message to all the world: that we are all chosen for salvation, and have all received it through the resurrection of Jesus.
There are some issues about that which make it a problematic part of the theology. However, the best way to go about explaining that is to examine your next point:
Jesus was fully God and fully human. His torture and death was physical and mental, with all the pain and suffering we know first-hand ourselves.
We'll start with the first part of that:

Jesus was fully God and fully Human: This piece of rhetoric is one that, frankly, I find empty. For ages the Catholic Church struggled against the heresy of docetism, which focuses on the assertion that if Christ was divine, his suffering was only the appearance of suffering and not genuine human suffering, or, as you have put it:

His torture and death was physical and mental, with all the pain and suffering we know first-hand ourselves: I would ask you to consider the facts. Jesus knew who he was. In the modern day, some assert that Jesus knew who he was from the moment of Creation. Indeed, I have a most curious volume, entitled The Clear Word. Its author, for the record, is Dr. Jack Blanco, chairman of the Religion department at Southern College of Seventh-Day Adventists. I want it understood that this is a Christian doing this to the Bible.

But I have long wondered who God was talking to in Genesis 3.22: Then the LORD God said: "See! The man has become like one of us, knowing what is good and what is bad! Therefore, he must not be allowed to put out his hand to take fruit from the tree of life also, and thus eat of it and live forever."

Who is the "us" that man has become like? And what does that mean? I've always wondered if God is frightened at this moment, for why must man not be allowed to live forever and possibly become "their" equal? So who are "they", anyway? I've heard a few suggestions in the past: the heavenly hosts, the other 2/3 of the trinity, and so forth.

Dr. Blanco offers me an answer:
(3.21) But God didn't carry out their sentence that day. He told them He had a plan to save them. Adam must sacrifice a lamb as a symbol of their Savior who would come and die in their place. God then took the lamb's skin to cover Adam and Eve's nakedness. (22) God said to His Son, "Man was like us, but he has changed. He now knows good and evil, so he's infected with sin. If we leave him in the garden and he continues to eat from the Tree of Life, he will never die, and he and his descendants will live in sin forever. We can't let this happen." (Genesis 3.21-22, The Clear Word, pg. 5)
I mean, with Blanco making it so much more clear, I wonder how it is that Christians survived with such crappy translations of the Bible. The amount of extraneous information asserted to make the story palatable, in addition to the rescripting of the role of God ... come on--not only is he butchering the Bible but also shooting holes in the redemptionist scheme.

The question becomes for the moment, Why did God will that mankind should fall?

For God has knowledge, and it is clear by the presence of The Son at Eden that by the time He became manifest in the flesh, He knew darn well what was going on. Look at the role reversal between the Bible in an English translation and the "paraphrase" by Blanco:

•_In the Bible, man has become like the divine by "knowing" good and evil..
•_In the paraphrase, man was like the divine, but loses that commonality by "knowing" good and evil. Furthermore, God "had a plan to save them."

Blanco's subscription to the notion that it was The Son to whom God was speaking points not only toward Jesus' knowledge of his identity and mission (and, as we know, the Gospels are clear on this point), but when combined with God's knowledge and will paints a picture in which sin and Redemption were part of God's creative scheme, a necessary development.

Blanco writes: He now knows good and evil, so he's infected with sin. If we leave him in the garden and he continues to eat from the Tree of Life, he will never die, and he and his descendants will live in sin forever. We must rely on the presumption of God's knowledge for this to be true, because the logical connection of the one to the other is tenuous at best.

Myself, I doubt Blanco's perspective. It renders the presumption of sin as an obvious necessity of Creation, and thus begs the question, What mercy is this? In terms of Jesus' combined humanity and divinity, it is hard to combat the docetic result. If Jesus knew what was afoot, then the nature of his human suffering was changed. Part of the human aspect of sacrificing one's life to the greater good is that one rarely, if ever, knows for certain that the sacrifice will bear fruit. You don't take a bullet for your child because you know that she will escape unharmed, but because you're giving her as much a chance as possible. If the next salvo cuts her down, so be it.

Which actually brings to mind Tim O'Brien's "How to Tell a True War Story", but such a digression would be extraneous. If you ever come across it, though, give it a read.

But if Jesus knew his sacrifice would bear fruit, as the Bible seems to suggest despite Blanco's glaring gaffe, the terms of the sacrifice are ultimately changed, leading to the quasi-docetic assertion that the mental and spiritual anguish, at least, bore a different character; and this would affect the perception of the physical anguish. Did Jesus know it was worth it? Or did The Son merely believe?
Which is why the kingdom of God is here and now. Christians could have stayed being Jews and war-waited for the messiah easily. Yet Jesus wanted us to change our ways, which is why he has a following as peacemaker even among non-christians. He preached that we can't use religion or law anymore to validate our faith or our freedom. "Our fight is not against flesh and blood..." We could only use our faith in God's ability to save our lives.
As an American, I have a problem extending this vision beyond your declaration. If you believe and practice as you express, more power to you and my best wishes in your quest for understanding. But statistically and functionally it is a far different climate around here. (Insert here my typical litany against modern Christian political activism, its manifestations, and its results.)
So our goal is the same, Tiassa
Perhaps. My end goal is a harmonious human endeavor. If it is unified, excellent. If it is cooperative, so be it. Whether Christians disappear or learn to function harmoniously with their neighbors on a mass scale doesn't actually matter to me; I just know that the species really needs such a large and influential portion of the human endeavor to stop working against the rest. By whatever condition this comes about, and within the bounds of human dignity, I don't care.
Only I don't know how someone with your intelligence can blame Christianity for the world's suffering any more than you can blame humanity.
Its central role in much negative history makes it an easy target. Its denial of its difficulties makes it dangerous. Not only are Judeo-Christian, Christian, and post-Christian ethical constructs primary influences over Western culture, they are also the bulk of what makes Western culture so problematic and dangerous.
Why do you call Iraq a holy war, if it isn't waged under the banner of religion?
Ask George W. Bush. He's the one who (A) insists that Iraq be considered part of the War on Terror, and (B) stooped to declaring that "God is on our side". I think he's serious. I think he really believes that crap.
Would you say this a religious war more than it is political?
There's no doubt it's political and economic. However, religion being the opiate of the masses (I prefer straight opium, myself), it must be taken into consideration to what degree religion affects politics. We can look beyond the blatant examples: teleministries, moral majorities, Christian Coalitions, and so forth. One of the hard things about fighting against Christian dominance of the political scheme is that its ideas are so pervasive among people. People are taught as children to believe in God, and that God is, more often than not--though decreasingly--some variant of the Christian God. From the Acts of the Apostles on through today, this vein of culture which has followed the Bible and sometimes relied on it has relied on conditioning and superstition, and has licensed some of the greatest advances in human barbarism. To many of us these issues of history would be less important if we didn't see the cycles recurring in our own time. Certes, we're not burning people at the stake in this country, but at least one former president (Poppy Bush) thinks atheists shouldn't be allowed citizenship, and one current one (Dubya) would rather pagan groups be left out of his faith-based initiatives. I also recommend Max Weber's Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, which can help you understand the fundamental tie between religion and economy that has so skewed Western, and especially American politics.
Then on which side are you on?
I haven't determined the sides. However, as I look at George Dubya versus the fundamentalist Muslim factions and illegitimate dictatorial governments, it's hard to tell who the good guys are. In Texas terms, everybody's wearin' a black hat. I stand for peace. If my country opts for war, 'tis tragic indeed. But we'll win, so I have no need to worry about that. Instead, I would rather worry how to get society past the idea that wars solve anything. Christianity, unfortunately, has made itself one of the stumbling blocks along the road to harmony. When somebody's reason why compels them to act to the detriment of other people on the rock, it's a fair issue to want to know what's going on. It can be reasonably argued that Hitler's goal was the same as yours or mine insofar as he saw order and harmony through the species serving a common purpose. We rightly questioned his version of "Why". And when "God is on our side" and we're carrying a homefront war against Muslims, I feel well within my rights to question "Why?" And undeniable among those reasons why is the tendency of Christian-influenced imperialism to treat other human beings badly.

I recognize the Constitution as the Supreme Law of the Land in the United States, but even that cannot change the fact that I am, fundamentally, a human being first. It is only dualistically-challenged folks like George Dubya who need it put so clearly--we are either with him or against him. I'm on the side of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. I'm on the side of Justice. I'm on the side of promoting the general welfare, securing the blessings of liberty, and providing for the common defense of all humankind. My patriotic side strives to save this country from itself.

You show your stripes, Jenyar:
I won't disagree with you that religious folks and scientists alike have made some ridiculous statements
What was the purpose of expanding the scope of this discussion as such? Was there any purpose? Or was I supposed to nod and go along with it?
But to use Nicea as the gunpoint from which religion has fired its man-made myths and smote millions of innocent tabula rasas.
Nicaea is an interesting nexus in Christian history. I find it quite interesting though that you would see this in terms of religion in general. Christianity does not the whole of religion compose, and the sooner people get used to it, the better.

If the Kingdom of God is here and now, then I have a few choice words for the King; I'll keep them to myself for now, as they're not decent for general use.

thanx,

Satan has been traditionally associated with a snake. But it is also known that many, If not all ancient cultures saw the serpent as a symbol of divine wisdom.

The Nag Hammadi authors(gnostics) paint an interesting picture of creation. For starters the story of Adam and Eve is told from the viewpoint of the snake. Here, the serpent is described as "good"; it encourages the first couple to gain the knowledge by eating the fruit - the apple is a symbol of spiritual immortality. It's God (which actually is the Demiurge, the false god) who's the jealous, negative character here, who doesn't want people to attain knowledge, gnosis.

My question is - since gnostics always considered themselves as true, original and only Christians - which creation story is the true one. Also - since we're discussing Satan here - how did it happen that the snake became the symbol of evil?

burningmad.gif

Back