Is Omission the Same as Lying?

Fraggle's description is quite correct.

Maybe it is somewhat off topic but wouldn't some of you agree that sometimes we place too a high value on the idea of complete honesty? I mean there are times when complete honesty can be destructive. Sometimes it is required to withhold information or to simply not tell the truth but I guess one would have to discern ones intent at those times.

Yes I would agree. Sometimes we are not completely honest because doing so would serve no constructive purpose.

* * * * NOTE FROM THE LINGUISTICS MODERATOR * * * *

The main definition of "lie" in any dictionary is, in essence: a false statement made knowingly and deliberately. A lie is something you say, not something you don't say.Well, we do have the term "lie of omission." Deliberate and knowing failure to reveal information whose disclosure is ethically appropriate has the same effect as lying, even if it doesn't qualify as a lie grammatically.I don't think you should get hung up on semantics. Leave that kind of argument to the kids in college who have too much time and not enough work.
Then why bring it up here Fraggle, especially as your take appears to be incorrect. My dictionary gives this as its second defintion for lie: to convey a false impression or practise deception. That seems to cover the idea of lying by omission.

And I do hope you won't retort that you said the main definition excluded lying by omission. That would be truly playing the pseudo semantics game.

Hmmm interesting.. Most laws cover lying deliberately and lying by omission in the same verse and therefore have the same penalty.

Deliberate omission and lying are fundamentally the same thing, in the eyes of the law. Why people seem to feel less guilty about one than the other I'm not sure..

Back