is miscarriage immoral?

vslayer

Registered Senior Member
if we are to assume that abortion is immoral, then is it also immoral to become pregnant when miscarriage is a near certainty?

Reconsidering the question itself

Such situations are, on the one hand, both common and uncommon. Some of it has to do with what treatments are available, and how one's conscience regards such medicine.

Perhaps a more prudent question, if I may, is if any imperfection in a pregnant woman's conduct that might lead or contribute to a miscarriage, is immoral.

Still, though, it is a hard case to make. Were society of a different form, perhaps it would be an easier argument. Some things, like the use of drugs for personal satisfaction, seem fairly clear-cut. Diet can even come into question. But in a society where many women labor in the workplace, live in two-story homes, or maintain their hygiene with showers, there are plenty of mundane behaviors which might in some way precipitate a miscarriage.

but if the argument against abortion is that fetuses are living things and cannot be "killed" then surely purposefully creating a fetus which is destined to "die" is equally immoral.

i would liken it to trapping someone in a garbage compactor instead of shooting them, even though you dont directly kill them you are still putting them in a situation where they will be killed, they are the same thing in a moral sense.

This isn't really a tangible question and it doesn't make too much sense.
Abortion is voluntary and miscarriage is accidental.

The question,to me, answers itself.

You're asking if it's immoral to get pregnant when a miscarriage is near certain? Personally, I would avoid getting pregnant if a miscarriage is very likely. But is it IMMORAL? No, I don't think so. But I'm pro-choice, so I don't think abortion is immoral.

This isn't really a tangible question and it doesn't make too much sense.
Abortion is voluntary and miscarriage is accidental.

The question,to me, answers itself.

the circumstances i am talking about are where miscarriage is a certainty, and you know this prior to attempting pregnancy.

if a blind guy walks in front of a bus and gets killed its an accident, but if you tell him that the road is clear knowing there is a bus coming, that is no different to putting a gun to his head.

You're asking if it's immoral to get pregnant when a miscarriage is near certain? Personally, I would avoid getting pregnant if a miscarriage is very likely. But is it IMMORAL? No, I don't think so. But I'm pro-choice, so I don't think abortion is immoral.

im also pro-abortion, i ask this question because the wife of my workmate is predisposed to miscarriage(a genetic defect i believe), having miscarried 3 children and having one stillborn(plus two live children) and despite him being anti-abortion, they are still trying to conceive, i wanted to know if anyone else saw the flaw in this logic.

Personally, I couldn't do it. Seems too painful. Maybe she is clinging to that little morsel of hope that she will have a healthy baby.

They already have two children?

yes, but i would have thought that with a 1/3 survival rate he would see see setting a fetus up to die as equally as immoral as abortion.

No I think it's moral.
The mother obviously wants a baby so she's doing what she can to have one. With abortion the mother is purposely killing the baby because she doesn't want it.

Personally I think that a woman who does that is in denial and is just setting herself up for disappointment. However if you believe that killing a fetus for any reason is wrong then getting pregnant knowing the baby will die, is a very selfish act and I find the moral standing the same. But I'm pro-choice, so I think she can do whatever she wants though I wouldn't recommend it.

if we are to assume that abortion is immoral, then is it also immoral to become pregnant when miscarriage is a near certainty?

no its not immoral, in fact most women dont know they're pregnant and will misscarry,

its just natures way of saying it just isnt right and women who misscarry shouldnt be branded has awful, what if the woman wants a baby bad enough that she's told if you have a baby you will die? i dont think thats immoral either i think if a woman wants a child strongly enough she will try and have one,

i know someone who has had 9 misscarriages and she now has 3 kids and was told that if she had kids she would die,

no its not immoral, in fact most women dont know they're pregnant and will misscarry,

its just natures way of saying it just isnt right and women who misscarry shouldnt be branded has awful, what if the woman wants a baby bad enough that she's told if you have a baby you will die? i dont think thats immoral either i think if a woman wants a child strongly enough she will try and have one,

i know someone who has had 9 misscarriages and she now has 3 kids and was told that if she had kids she would die,

That's a lot of determination, pain, and suffering.

could we please stick with the assumption that "abortion is murder" for this hypothetical.

but surely if you believe abortion is killing babies, then you would seek some other option, rather than trying to reproduce knowing that it may very well result in a babies death?

if a woman wants a child strongly enough she will try and have one

and if i want money badly enough i will rob a bank, it doesnt mean either of them is right.

...but surely if you believe abortion is killing babies, then you would seek some other option, rather than trying to reproduce knowing that it may very well result in a babies death?

But they don't "know" that it would result in miscarriage. And that's just the point. No doctor could say for certain, so there's no "knowing" involved.

And just so you know, there's also a chance that even healthy births "may very well result" in the baby's death ...from infancy all the way thru adulthood. Does that mean no woman should elect to reproduce?

Baron Max

But they don't "know" that it would result in miscarriage. And that's just the point. No doctor could say for certain, so there's no "knowing" involved.
Baron Max

It's like murder in the 2nd degree. It may not have been your intent to kill anyone, but your behavior was risky enough to increase the chances of someone's death. Even if you didn't kill someone on purpose, your actions directly caused their death so it's still considered murder. (Got to love jury duty). Abortion would be murder in the 1st degree. A woman who gets pregnant knowing that the chance of miscarrying is very high, has committed malice of forethought (doing something knowing that her actions could very well result in one's death, like shooting through random windows in a building) and her actions were premeditated.

Last edited:
It's like murder in the 2nd degree. It may not have been your intent to kill anyone, but your behavior was risky enough to increase the chances of someone's death. Even if you didn't kill someone on purpose, your actions directly caused their death so it's still considered murder. (Got to love jury duty).

If you go by that theory, Marie, then driving a car should be illegal, too! In addition to thousands of other things that humans do almost daily.

Sorry, Marie, but it seems to me that you're pushing the envelope of legalities to the far, far limit of ones comprehension!

Baron Max

Something of a blank

Vslayer said:

but if the argument against abortion is that fetuses are living things and cannot be "killed" then surely purposefully creating a fetus which is destined to "die" is equally immoral.

But that's the thing. Humans defy destiny all the time. Kind of cheapens the concept, but that's beside the point. We count on beating the odds. It's part of our human myth.

I knew a woman who once attempted to carry an anencephalitic fetus to term. She miscarried. It almost killed her. Just as her doctor told her would happen. Religious convictions. She was hailed as a hero by the priests at school. Frankly, I thought it was stupid. But, you know, faith in the Lord and all. Maybe the Wizard will give your baby a brain, or something.

Or a beating heart.

But then, life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Help me out, please. Part of the problem I'm having is that I'm drawing a blank. The one thing I can think of is a couple who knows they have an Rh contrast between them and do nothing about it (not quite guilty, but that's another story). But that's treatable, even after conception if you're on it quick enough.

Does that count? Or had you something in mind?

Note: Bells has been so kind as to refer to the obvious. Sorry I missed it. I think at least part of the answer has to do with faith in God, though, and all of that. A lot of people are conditioned to believe in the infinitesimal.

Last edited:
could we please stick with the assumption that "abortion is murder" for this hypothetical.

but surely if you believe abortion is killing babies, then you would seek some other option, rather than trying to reproduce knowing that it may very well result in a babies death?
Any pregnancy can result in a miscarriage. In face, a great majority do. I think the estimated figure is at around 50% or so. So what are the "other option" if you believe that abortion is murder? Adopt? Surrogacy? And if other women stop reproducing because it is highly immoral to do so due to the high chance of a miscarriage, the rate of reproduction in the world population would fall dramatically. So we can thus rule out adoption, since the number of babies up for adoption would not be great. Surrogacy? Well, the surrogate can also miscarry at any time during the pregnancy.

You friend and his wife are going through what a lot of couples go through. She can obviously carry a child to term, since she has already had children in the past. And she could very well have another healthy child in the future. You just don't know for certain.

getting pregnant is a gambling game anyways, if you knew your grandmother died of heart disease would that be immoral to conceive a child due to genetics. no.

Back