Is Jesus Michael the Archangel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reiku

Banned
Banned
I had an arguement today with some Jehovah's Witnesses.

They stated to me that Jesus Christ was Michael the Archangel.

I protested. I told them they were talking nonesense. Then they read me out a passage from revelation saying the The Lamb would descend from Heaven with an Archangels Voice.

I told them that revelation was a riddle. That only [some] of it was literal, and the rest cryptic.
I told them that it could mean that Jesus would be followed by Archangels singing His praise... In fact, it could have meant a lot of things.

They gave some other evidence, which was lame.

I said its impossible. I gave them a situation in the Bible.

When John, (in the end of revelation) - 22 i think, or maybe just before it, goes to bow down to the angel (probably an archangel)... but the angel tells him that he should not, because he was nothing more than a servant of God too.
Now if its true, then why does the Bible clearly state that all knees will bow to Jesus>? Isaiah somewhere :)

If this was the case, then Jesus to would have been nothing more than another servant of God, and would have not been given that type of authority.

Does anyone agree?

Then i proposed a second arguement to counter them. I gave them John1:1 to consider, only to find again that John1:1 says, ''In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was [a] god,'' with a small letter g.
In King James, indeed most of the Bibles in the world have ''Was God.''

Is their religion blasphemous?

I've never had a JW come to the door. Some mighty nice looking Mormon boys have been here though.
rowr

I don't see how Jesus and Michael the Archangel can be the same person really..
They are described as totally different persons in the bible as far as I know.

Is their religion blasphemous?

Yes, but there are many among them who are very nice people...it must break God's heart to see so many who think they are serving Him yet so deceived...they are factory produced automatons...taught to parrot teachings, canned presentations, answers etc from special books and literature. They are drilled in strict discipline along pre channeled thought patterns regarding interpretations of a deliberately altered bible...deliberately altered in accordance with/to support those same interpretations--which is therefore no bible at all--originating at the upper levels of the organization...Sad...many are so sincere, but, sincerely wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, but there are many among them who are very nice people...it must break God's heart to see so many who think they are serving Him yet so deceived...they are factory produced automatons...taught to parrot teachings, canned presentations, answers etc from special books and literature. They are drilled in strict discipline along pre channeled thought patterns regarding interpretations of a deliberately altered bible...deliberately altered in accordance with/to support those same interpretations--which is therefore no bible at all--originating at the upper levels of the organization...Sad...many are so sincere, but, sincerely wrong.

Interesting and what do YOU suppose happens to these people? When they die. Faithful to god, yet misdirected?

Faithful to god, yet misdirected?

Faithful to God? I don't think so: ...all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent Him...he who rejects Me rejects the One who sent Me.

It will all depend on which Christian cult you belong to, obviously. Cults like Jehovah's Witness, Catholism, Mormonism, Pentacostalism, etc. have some very contradictory interpretations of Christian mythology -interpretations that are, very often, tailored to suit their political and social agendas for their specific cult in-groups.

But arguing whether Jesus Christ or an "archangel" are the same or different creates and existential fallacy if the premise is that they are both real. If you are arguing from a semantic point of view, then the argument is no different than two Star Trek fans arguing about which Captain was better or two Lord of the Rings fans arguing about Hobbits verses Elves.

So to find the answer to the OP's question, one would need to look at the source mythology and then compare the two cults' interpretations and then use literary criticism to evaluate the question on a literary basis.

I agree. Not many religions these days implore their followers to go from home to home to spread the Word. But in all honesty, I've always wondered WHY they try to recruit followers, as one of the tenets of their belief is that only 144,000 people will be allowed into heaven. Perhaps they have their rationalizations, but empirically speaking, the fewer your numbers the better your chances.

I have always found them to be very kind and thoughtful people, and do know the scripture pretty well.

I protested. I told them they were talking nonesense.

True. Real nonsense. Not the rational evidence like virgin birth, bringing back zombies from the dead, drinking blood at the Last supper and changing some bread into more bread....when he could have turned it into Pizza and beer.

Those JWs sure spout nonsense! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back