is it unethical that evangelicals try to influence poltics when politics is not allow

they never tried to put there beliefs above other people that is the key difference
But the OP is making the case that religious people should not be able to influence governement because government cannot influence the churchs. Setting aside whether all the assumptions are true in this, I think madanthony's example is appropriate.
Shall we ban evangelicals from participation in politics because of their attitude? It was OK because MLK was humbler, but these people aren't humble?

I mean I have tremendous distaste for their politics but I can't see taking away their rights because they are religious.

Look, man ... all our disagreements aside, what am I or anyone else supposed to think when you put this kind of argument forward?

Would you assert that King was attempting to compel the government to enact specifically Christian legislation? Would you compare the civil rights movement of King's time to attempts by Christian groups in later years to compel state governments to declare creationism a science, or to disenfranchise homosexuals? Are we actually supposed to believe you're honestly comparing Dr. King's work to creationists in Kansas who feel discriminated against because they feel their beliefs should be treated as a science despite being unable to present their beliefs according to the scientific method? Are we supposed to believe you're honestly comparing Dr. King's work to a bunch of bigots in Oregon and Colorado who sought to censor library books, fire state employees, institutionalize discrimination, inform medical students, and challenge the authority of the state to prosecute the killings of homosexuals, all because they said the Bible says so?

Are we really supposed to believe that's what you're saying? Because those are the implications when we compare your statements to history.

I have to agree with madanthonywayne ESPECIALLY in the context of the OP. My politics are probably much more like yours Tiassa, but he was right on the money raising MLK in the context of this thread. The OP is suggesting that religious people - in this case evangelicals - are being by definition unfair because they are trying to influence government while government cannot influence them. (See my response to the OP to point out some of the faulty assumptions in this.)
This can only be seen as saying that the category, religious people, cannot try to influence the government especially if they do it with reference to religious principles. I think that is just BS and anti-democratic. I don't think we can analyze the roots or source materials or even the rationality or lack of it that goes into how people arrive at their political opinions in a discussion of whether they have a right to influence. Of course they do. We can hate their reasoning or lack of it. We can hate what they are trying to do, but I do not think they are breaking the rules. And if they are well MLK was also. Perhaps Malcolm X also. The Berrigan brothers in relation to Vietnam.

To me the OP is making a case for exclusion of religious people from having their rights to influence government. In fact I would say it is also moving in a direction against free speech. You can try to influence government, but you cannot mention that you are basing this influence on Christian principles or the Bible or you are being unfair.

Nah.

Greetings, salutations, and ... huh, what?

Sowhatifit'sdark said:

I have to agree with madanthonywayne ESPECIALLY in the context of the OP. My politics are probably much more like yours Tiassa, but he was right on the money raising MLK in the context of this thread.

If we limit ourselves exclusively to the topic post as you note, then yes, I think you have a point. I do find it interesting, though, that you deign to tell the topic poster what he meant, especially in light of his example that Draqon rejected. As PJdude1219 noted, in order to clarify for Draqon, "the whole intelligent design fiasco."

Now, acknowledging that you have suggested that our politics probably have much in common, I would presume to reframe the topic post according to PJ's example in post #3, thus compelling me to ask you the following:

(1) Is "intelligent design" a proper scientific concept?
(2) Is it oppressive, discriminatory, or violative of free speech to say that intelligent design is not a proper scientific concept?
(3) Is "intelligent design" really analogous to Dr. King's work?​

I would answer those questions in the negative. No, intelligent design is not a proper scientific concept because, in the end, the only proof of intelligent design would be direct evidence of the designer—e.g. demonstrating the existence of God. Until someone can put forward a testable hypothesis that will prove the existence of God, the scientific method cannot be applied to test intelligent design. Ergo, it is not a proper scientific concept.

Thus, it is not oppressive, discriminatory, or violative of the First Amendment to keep intelligent design out of public school science classes. Additionally, I would protest the idea that science textbooks in public schools should bear warning stickers mitigating the theory of evolution, a circumstance that has come about at least once; there were no warning stickers about the theory of gravity, which suggests that the stickers about evolution were intended to favor a religious outlook.

And no, I do not consider "intelligent design" analogous to Dr. King's work.

Likewise, is a Christian's First Amendment right to free speech violated if another person's is not suppressed? This was at the heart of the OCA's campaigns in Oregon, which started when an anti-abortion group seeking a political victory decided that a book about lesbians in the public library violated the First Amendment rights of Christians statewide. I explicitly reject any analogy between the Christian fight to oppress homosexuals and Dr. King's fight to win equal rights for nonwhite Americans.

Would you agree with John McCain that Christianity should be a prerequisite for serving as President of the United States? Would you equate that standard to Dr. King's work?

I strongly disagree with the idea that Christians working toward a non-religious outcome to the benefit of all people is in any way analogous to Christians working toward religious outcomes intended to establish Christian supremacy in American society.

And Christian supremacy and exception to the law are at the heart of that list of considerations I included in #18 above:

• Churches can potentially defraud financial contributors. (Exception to law.)
• Christian mores should decide who gets to be equal, e.g. homosexuals. (Supremacy.)
• Pledge of Allegiance should force people to acknowledge God as a specific repudiation of atheism. (Supremacy.)
• House of Representatives should acknowledge supremacy of Christianity. (Supremacy.)
• God told Bush to invade Iraq. (Um ... okay, this is just insane.)
• Pastor bullying foreign governments under false pretenses. (Supremacy.)​

And, of course, is our topic poster's example of the intelligent design debate (supremacy).

Perhaps I would not disagree with Madanthonywayne had he heeded PJ's clarification. Perhaps I would not disagree had PJ not responded to Draqon at all. I don't think you're being fair to leave out what PJ wrote in order to pursue another line of discussion. The idea that people who have religion should not be allowed to attempt to influence the government is absurd, and I don't see it proposed openly until we reach your repudiation of the notion. (I do see it implied in Madanthonywayne's sarcasm.) I think you are tilting windmills on this one.

(And welcome to our happy loony bin. Do enjoy your time here, please. Don't let us drive you too crazy.)

If we limit ourselves exclusively to the topic post as you note, then yes, I think you have a point. I do find it interesting, though, that you deign to tell the topic poster what he meant, especially in light of his example that Draqon rejected. As PJdude1219 noted, in order to clarify for Draqon, "the whole intelligent design fiasco."

Now, acknowledging that you have suggested that our politics probably have much in common, I would presume to reframe the topic post according to PJ's example in post #3, thus compelling me to ask you the following:

(1) Is "intelligent design" a proper scientific concept?
(2) Is it oppressive, discriminatory, or violative of free speech to say that intelligent design is not a proper scientific concept?
(3) Is "intelligent design" really analogous to Dr. King's work?​
He gave an example of an item on the political agenda of the evangelicals. This does not change, for me, the debate, but is an example within the debate of one of their problematic beliefs that they are trying to legislate. The fact that intelligent design is silly does not make the fact that they are relgious people trying to influence legislation unfair.

If neo-con atheists, for example, think that our high school history textbooks are getting to revisionist (read: accurate) by being too critical of colonist treatment of Native Americans, indentured servants, poor people, etc. and try to legislate locally to change these books I do not think this is less (or more) unfair because they are atheists.

You get what I'm saying, here.

If you think the whole debate now centers on whether intelligent design is the same as civil rights, well, OK, I agree with you.

I hope that knowing I am taking the debate as about the right of evangelicals, for whatever reasons and with whatever dubious authority, to try to influence government is inherently unfair because they are a religious group that the government - according to the OP - cannot influence - note the slide from the individuals to the organizations
you will agree with me. That however unpleasant it all is they are simply excercising their rights.

Tiassa,
take a look at this and see if I am simply tilting at windmills.

one it is not against the constition for the others. and 2 yes you are an evangelical. you are a non denomanatioial evangelical. born agains are by definition evangelicals. i never said you think like but you do act like it
1. unions tend to fight the good fight so i am ok with that.
2. the only reason you view that as a problem is they vote democrat, if they voted for republicans you wouldn't give a shit
3. you mean like the people guilanni does buisness with.
4. less of a problem than it was it is practically a non issue.
5. i do have a problem with it

My bold.
Do you think it is against the constitution for the evangelicals to try to influence legislation?
And notice his reason for not being concerned about Unions. I can think of a better rebuttal. But notice his.

Sorry I think my posts fit in the debate.

But if we shift the debate to the one you are having - which I think can ALSO be said to fit, then I am on your side.

(Insert title here)

Sowhatifit'sdark said:

Do you think it is against the constitution for the evangelicals to try to influence legislation?

No, I think it's against the constitution to pass a law establishing the supremacy of any one religion. If a labor union fights for one of its tenets to become law—e.g., better working conditions—that is its business. If a religious organization fights for one of its tenets to become law—e.g., God says homosexuality is wrong—it is unconstitutional. Additionally, the separation of church and state does not, Crefo Dollar notwithstanding, mean churches are above the law.

Sorry I think my posts fit in the debate.

And a good portion of it does. I think you're tilting windmills on that one point, when you forego PJ's clarification and tell him what he means.

You get what I'm saying, here.

Actually, I don't. There are a couple of points that seem ... well ... here:

The fact that intelligent design is silly does not make the fact that they are relgious people trying to influence legislation unfair.

I admit, this sentence confuses me. I think I know what you're after, so I'll take a shot at it.

It's not that they are religious people. That's merely coincidental insofar as anyone demanding an irrational outcome should be repudiated.

If neo-con atheists, for example, think that our high school history textbooks are getting to revisionist (read: accurate) by being too critical of colonist treatment of Native Americans, indentured servants, poor people, etc. and try to legislate locally to change these books I do not think this is less (or more) unfair because they are atheists.

This is truly bizarre to me because it wouldn't have anything to do with the religious affiliation of the complaining lobby. It has to do with the historical record. If, for instance, a church group asserts an alleged factual revision based on the record, great, fine, whatever. If, to the other, they want to eliminate words like "kidnap" and "abduct" and "steal" from discussion of prayer villages because such terms have negative connotations, tough freakin' luck. It's not abusive of Christianity to tell the truth, that colonists forcibly removed children from tribes and tried to "civilize" them. There are some people who think it's racist to point out that the tribes learned to scalp from the European settlers, who paid natives bounties for killing their indigenous neighbors and bringing the scalp as evidence. There are people upset at a recent National Geographic discussion of the effects of European earthworms on the American ecosystem. It doesn't matter what religion, if any, these people hold. The historical record is the important thing: what does it say?

If you think the whole debate now centers on whether intelligent design is the same as civil rights, well, OK, I agree with you.

Sigh. Look, it's not all about intelligent design. But, as I noted in #18, "The topic question, while perhaps recklessly constructed, does touch on valid considerations". What, do I need to roll up a newspaper and swat PJ? "Bad PJ! Ba-a-aaaad PJ!" There. Can we please examine what he meant? Or do I need to slather Madanthonywayne with some praise? Fine. He's right. Dr. King was a Christian. Good Madanthonywayne. Smart Madanthonywayne. Have I been fair enough to satisfy you?

I hope that knowing I am taking the debate as about the right of evangelicals, for whatever reasons and with whatever dubious authority, to try to influence government is inherently unfair because they are a religious group that the government - according to the OP - cannot influence - note the slide from the individuals to the organizations you will agree with me. That however unpleasant it all is they are simply excercising their rights.

Okay, fine. Whatever. I agree. Great. Now, what does that have to do with the topic post? Oh, right: it's what you want it to mean.

Okay, look, I'm sorry. It's just that I feel like you're insisting on an argument that didn't exist at the outset. I find your jump from PJ's clarification to "If you think the whole debate now centers on whether intelligent design is the same as civil rights ..." a bit simplistic, more than a bit insistent, and of the appearance of deliberate and calculated construction.

I just think that the thematic leap from intelligent design to Dr. King was not thematic at all. That's why I object to it. I actually object to your statement, "But if we shift the debate to the one you are having," insofar as it suggests that if we shift the debate back to the one more contextually appropriate to what PJ wrote and gave us an example of ... well, asserting commonalities between contemporary evangelicals, Dr. King, nineteenth-century Quakers, and the Founding Fathers would make for a fascinating discussion, but it is also the usurpation of this topic, and not the discussion intended at the outset.

On a more technical note, and acknowledging that you registered only a few days ago, Sciforums has a fair number of ESL contributors, and also a surprising population of folks for whom, for whatever reasons, conventional grammar, spelling, and punctuation are simply out of the question. You will, indeed, get somewhat used to it. In this case, without the clarification in #3, we wouldn't be having this discussion; I would have left PJ to hang in the wind on the topic post, but Draqon asked the relevant question and PJ answered it. I just don't think it's right to tell him what he meant in this case. Without #3, fine, okay, whatever. Imagine that he didn't make that point, and when he was called out on it, he said, "You're right, what I meant to say was ...." Would that have been a satisfactory response? But he clarified when Draqon called him out. Whose what does he need to kiss in order that his context be acknowledged?

...If you would like me to put on my green hat and tell you to take your trolling elsewhere, I will be happy to.
(1) That's not a rational argument. It's inflammatory trolling.
(2) Given that they have not been convicted of any crime, it is inappropriate for you to call them "criminal aliens".
(3) ...Calling liberals and Muslim civic groups terror supporters without any rational basis is inflammatory trolling. Either build a rational argument to support your assertion, or drop it.​

It is my opinion that unions are bad/dangerous/dumb for America. They reward lazy/bad/dangerous behavior.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2006-09-22-pizza-union_x.htm?csp=34
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007761#1

"Illegal" aliens are criminal aliens because they committed crimes by ILLEGALLY entering my country. They then steal American's ID's, social security numbers, credit card numbers etc to stay here. These things are all illegal. They get jobs illegally by lying to employers. Their DUIs have killed more Americans than the Iraq war.What part of this don't you get?

CAIR is a terror org and if you don't know this you really don't get it. Its chairman has declared he wants sharia law/the Koran/Islam as the dominant force in America. CAIR leaders/members have been convicted or deported for financial dealings with Hamas. CAIR gives aid to international terrorist groups. Even liberal Barb Boxer had to rescind her CAIR award after finding out about them.
http://mysite.verizon.net/rogmios/id97.html

You can go ahead and hate me and everything I stand for, but don't you dare
pretend that radicals (criminal aliens and terrorists) have our best interest in mind. :(

I think your question exemplifies a problem of perspective we often suffer when considering historical issues. Had Jefferson a twentieth or twenty-first century perspective, then yes, he would have been injecting his religious beliefs into the Declaration of Independence. However, attempting to identify such a notion in such a manner as to justify Christian evangelism in politics is simply inappropriate.
Here's a few words from John Adams on the subject:
The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”
• “[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798
Now I'm sure you can come up with some quotes from Thomas Paine or whoever showing that not all of the founding fathers were Christians or regarded its influence as beneficial. But the question under debate is whether religion should influence one's political beliefs and actions. And I would venture to say that they would consider the idea that one should put aside one's religious beliefs when considering the great issues of the day absurd.
Look, man ... all our disagreements aside, what am I or anyone else supposed to think when you put this kind of argument forward?

Would you assert that King was attempting to compel the government to enact specifically Christian legislation? Would you compare the civil rights movement of King's time to attempts by Christian groups in later years to compel state governments to declare creationism a science, or to disenfranchise homosexuals? ............
What you're doing is going over specific issues being brought up by people based upon their religious belief. We're not discussing any specific issues.

The topic of discussion is whether your religious beliefs should inform or motivate your politics. And just as Dr. King was largely motivated by his religion, so are the people trying to ban gay marriage. Just because you do not like many of the issues being brought up right now by people based upon their religion, that does not make all ideas based upon religious belief illegitimate.

Just like any other ideas, they should be judged on a case by case basis. Blanket statements that religion should never motivate one's politics are absurd.

Religious people are citizens, and thus have a right to participate in politics like anyone else. Churches cannot endorse a particular candidate without losing their tax exempt status. Government can influence religious actions in some ways, for instance the prosecutions of polygymists.

Tiassa,
I should have added that my sense is that as long as citizens use legal means to affect legislation it is then up to the courts to decide constitutional issues. Regardless of the issue I think they get to try, whatever I think of what they are trying.

maybe i should restate my point is it ethical that evangelicals try to influence the government to put their beliefs ahead of others when the government is not allowed to establish a state religion

It is my opinion that unions are bad/dangerous/dumb for America. They reward lazy/bad/dangerous behavior.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2006-09-22-pizza-union_x.htm?csp=34
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007761#1

"Illegal" aliens are criminal aliens because they committed crimes by ILLEGALLY entering my country. They then steal American's ID's, social security numbers, credit card numbers etc to stay here. These things are all illegal. They get jobs illegally by lying to employers. Their DUIs have killed more Americans than the Iraq war.What part of this don't you get?

CAIR is a terror org and if you don't know this you really don't get it. Its chairman has declared he wants sharia law/the Koran/Islam as the dominant force in America. CAIR leaders/members have been convicted or deported for financial dealings with Hamas. CAIR gives aid to international terrorist groups. Even liberal Barb Boxer had to rescind her CAIR award after finding out about them.
http://mysite.verizon.net/rogmios/id97.html

You can go ahead and hate me and everything I stand for, but don't you dare
pretend that radicals (criminal aliens and terrorists) have our best interest in mind. :(

we don't you try and slander liberals by claiming they do

Back