Is it racist or prejudice to insult your own race?

EmptyForceOfChi

Banned
Banned
For example if I were a black man and I were to call another black man a nigga would this be seen as racist?. Would I be allowed to refer to my fellow niggas as niggas?.

I myself am a Jew if i were to for example say "those raghead jews" In a joking manner would this be seen as Anti-semetic?. Or if I called my own jewish brothers "Jewsian sand rats" would this be a racial and anti semetic slurr? or do I get the right to joke around like this because I am infact a jew myself?

Like another example I know tons of pakistani guys who call each other "Pakis" this is seen as perfectly normal like my friend asif would always say "Come on you pakis" when watching the cricket game cheering his paki boys on in good spirits, But then if a white man said "You paki" without even checking his intentions you would maybe think he is racist.

So is it ok to jokingly insult your own people? or do we be PC and say "no even insulting your own people is racist"

Thoughts?

Peace.

The problem is on the internet, everyone is raceless, sexless, colourless. So its hard to tell when its a black man saying nigga. They sound/read very much like a white man saying nigger. IIRC, a gay poster was recently banned for homophobia after cracking [enc]ghey[/enc] jokes.

So yeah, the internet, the great PC equaliser

The problem is on the internet, everyone is raceless, sexless, colourless. So its hard to tell when its a black man saying nigga. They sound/read very much like a white man saying nigger. IIRC, a gay poster was recently banned for homophobia after cracking [enc]ghey[/enc] jokes.

So yeah, the internet, the great PC equaliser

Lol was this on Sciforums? A homosexual member was banned for being homophobic?

That's classic.

Peace.

Yeah, it was Giam. To be fair, G is not a flaming queen [I hope those are not considered slurs], so unless you're paying attention to his posts its hard to tell easy to miss

Yeah, it was Giam. To be fair, G is not a flaming queen [I hope those are not considered slurs], so unless you're paying attention to his posts its hard to tell easy to miss

I can see where it is hard to differentiate from one poster to another on a forum, but wouldn't rules have to differ once the person has openly admitted to being a homosexual?, maybe before they have made it publicly known you can apply this to them, but once they have "come out" openly and admittedto being homosexual surely you must be more lenient when trying to oppress their freedom of speech?.

The internet is supposed to be the most open place for free speech to thrive, it seems like it will soon be the most policed thing in history.

Madness.

As salamu alaikum

Nigga is a slang term popularized in hip hop. It's different than saying nigger. Black people dont say nigger without a comedic undertone. I would think your smart enough to know that as for calling a fellow jewish person raghead or whatever, just hope that another jewish person listening it doesent catch wind resulting in a clean uppercut to your chin. White people dont call themselves honkey, chinese dont call themselves chinks, if you choose to be racist towards someone else its basically insuslting who you are as a person which is more specific than a curse word which is why it causes more anger.

The obvious

I think this sort of expression is like any kind of self-gratification. That is, you don't just whip it out wherever you are, and sometimes it makes a mess.

About 20 years ago, here in New Zealand, we had a comedian called Billy T. James. He was native Maori (polynesian), and a big part of his repertoire was jokes aimed at Maori. He affected an appallingly bad Maori accent. He used himself as the butt of many of his jokes, and his own Maoriness. The interesting thing is that his fellow Maoris laughed like a drain at his anti-Maori jokes. No white guy could get away with that.

Here is Billy with his worst Maori accent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRxdaMU2cPU

The amazing thing is that Billy was an immensely talented guy who could change his voice to any other accent - go from posh high class English to Southern American, Indian or whatever. A great performer.

So yes. A member of a specific ethnic group can get away with insulting his own group if he is talented.

Fat jokes, and other notes

Skeptical said:

A member of a specific ethnic group can get away with insulting his own group if he is talented.

I remember a large, indigenous American comedian who used to do fat jokes. Yeah, if you're good, you can insult the people you count yourself among. I remember his bit about a guest shot on Sesame Street ("the Letter O") and also how the family was worried about his anorexic sister (they could see daylight between her thighs). I could not have gotten away with those jokes about fat people, and, in truth, I don't think I should.

Anyone can laugh at other people. Laughing at oneself is not so universal a faculty.

To the other, there is also a difference between laughing at oneself and going out of your way to insult the hell out of people, at which point it doesn't really matter whether or not you're one of them.

A big factor is geography and location, maybe even more so than race. For example:

Australians say Paki without any racial connotations, which is the opposite to the UK.
Africans don't call each other nigger, but some African Americans do call it each other.

Nigga is a slang term popularized in hip hop. It's different than saying nigger. Black people dont say nigger without a comedic undertone.

It may have been popularized by hiphop, but black people were calling each other that long before hip hop became mainstream. Sometimes black people use it to show a connection to other black people, similar to black people calling each other brother or sister. But it is often used to insult other black people and there is nothing funny or joking about it. However when the term is used by another black person it takes on the meaning of any other derogatory term like idiot or bastard. But when someone of another race says it then it feels as if a black person's race is being targeted and carries a lot more offensive weight than simply being called an idiot.

In my experience anyway.

Hey I have some russian/spanish from my fathers side I guess I can use the term honkey too.

Whats up my honkey redneck buddy. Or am I not "white enough" to pull it off?

PEace.
You are not American enough Chi and stop saying that . Honky and redneck don't go in the same sentence with buddy . Dill weed does , or Dingle berry , or even Jag off . Red Neck has something to do with unions I believe . The guys that would come and rough up the union organizers I think ? It has taken on a different imagery in peoples brains for some reason . I don't know ? Like the stigma of K-Mart shoppers and blue light specials

Back