Is it immoral to refuse to believe?

Why?

Registered Senior Member
What ever the topic, religion, the holocaust, etc. - is it immoral to refuse to believe?

What ever the topic, religion, the holocaust, etc. - is it immoral to refuse to believe?

our existence does not allow us not to believe or to refuse to believe. By refusing to believe in something we are either suppressing this belief subconsciously and thus covering it up. Or...or we are changing that belief to another one that suits our logic more.

You cannot not believe.

Well, I am not questioning that one belief would replace another. I am asking if it's wrong to refuse to believe something, regardless of whether you have a replacement belief. For example, is it immoral to refuse to believe the holocaust happened?

So, I guess you think it is immoral to refuse to believe (certain things).
Possibly.

I think without context it is a pretty silly question that is impossible to answer honestly.

As for morality...it is immoral if society that is in power over you says so.
Absurd.

Acceptable, approved behavior is not interchangable with moral behavior.
To reject and revolt against tyrranical despotism, for example - even if the majority are in favor of it - is the moral thing to do, in my opinion.

It's not silly to ask whether it's evil not to believe. If in the face of strong evidence one refuses to believe, is this immoral? Is it immoral to deny the existence of the holocaust? Is it immoral to deny the existence of human rights? If so, why?

It's not silly to ask whether it's evil not to believe. If in the face of strong evidence one refuses to believe, is this immoral? Is it immoral to deny the existence of the holocaust? Is it immoral to deny the existence of human rights? If so, why?

It is immoral to deny existence of holocaust...

...because the current power says so. The current power is stronger than that of another power that refuses to believe in holocaust.

So, morality is relative and based on whatever the authority says it is? Can't we think on our own - or are we just brainless puppets of our masters?

Is it immoral to refuse to believe that Jesus exists?
Is it immoral to refuse to believe that unicorns exist?
Is it immoral to refuse to believe that Paris Hilton is attractive?
Is it immoral to refuse to believe that <insert anything here>?

Without context the question is silly.

So, morality is relative and based on whatever the authority says it is? Can't we think on our own - or are we just brainless puppets of our masters?

draqon is brainless puppet of his masters.

if we can overpower our masters, than yes we can have a true belief.
Also if I can shadow my belief unto others and our collective power will be greater than that of the authority.

It takes an idiot to not believe there wasn't a Holocaust. are you an idiot?

It takes an idiot to not believe there wasn't a Holocaust. are you an idiot?

Yes, not believing in things like gravity or the holocaust, or that the world is round ...ect dont make you immoral it makes you either ignorant, uneducated or a moron.

No, I'm not an idiot. But, I'm not asking if one is an idiot for not believing in the holocaust. I'm asking if one is evil not to believe in the holocaust.

Doesn't refusing to believe in something, like say the holocaust, have the potential for evil as it perpetrates a lie that could lead to re-living that horror?

Back