Is instrumental music information?

I always got the impression that the pretentiousness was tongue in cheek. On The Myths and Legends tour he had knights jousting on ice skates. That's could almost be a Monty Python skit.
I've never seen his concerts but I've never seen Wakeman with anything like a sense of humour.

I'm with your ex on this. I found Kate Bush's voice to be like fingernails down a blackboard.

I'm afraid I could also never take Rick Wakeman seriously after "Journey to the Centre of the Earth". Two dinosaurs fighting, etc.:rolleyes:

(My 70s bands were Pink Floyd and then Roxy Music.)
I like all the Yes stuff, some of the solo stuff is ok. Floyd is one of my favourite bands, I saw them on the "Momentary lapse of reason tour."

If you have not heard it I would check out, "the man with child in his eyes," Kate Bush recorded it when she was about 16.

I like all the Yes stuff, some of the solo stuff is ok. Floyd is one of my favourite bands, I saw them on the "Momentary lapse of reason tour."

If you have not heard it I would check out, "the man with child in his eyes," Kate Bush recorded it when she was about 16.
Yes she sings rather beautifully on that track, I grant you. It seems to be much gentler - and considerably lower pitched - than her more well known stuff. But there’s rather a lot of confused orchestration and not that much of a tune, it seems to me.

I should level with you though. I’m primarily a classical music lover and amateur choral singer. Currently working on Mozart’s Requiem and a modern piece by Tarik O’Regan called Triptych. The first piece of music I really fell in love with was when, at the age of 14, I was given an LP of Bach’s Mass in B Minor. Though I only got the chance to sing it for the first time (bass 1) about 30 years later! Bach remains one of my favourite composers: one never tires of him and a lot of his stuff can be played on almost any instrument without serious damage.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer used to play Bach. I’ve got an LP of Tarkus somewhere. The guy in the 4 seat in the school 1st VIII (I was at 3 that year) was an ELP freak. That was in 1971.

I should level with you though. I’m primarily a classical music lover and amateur choral singer. Currently working on Mozart’s Requiem and a modern piece by Tarik O’Regan called Triptych. The first piece of music I really fell in love with was when, at the age of 14
That is definitely worth a thread on its own. I like popular music of the 60s and 70s, classical and Jazz.

It's information. It conveys feelings or vibes. You can hear and feel desperation, happiness, anger, even more erotic vibes can come through in music. Vibrational patterns of energy expressed from one entity to others...that's music and often enough the reason so many have great difficulty in the expression of the feelings attached to intent. It's a lot more complex than words, yet much more simplistic also. Craziest medium for communication I ever tried my hand at.

But it's fun, so ...

Back