Is Immortality Possible?

Brandon9000 said:
The genetically programmed idea has been abandoned and is not discussed in current literature.

Not the one I'm talking about

Now aging is believed to be caused by a number of different sources of degradation and error, of which a prime contributor is reactions with free radicals.

Eh, that also comes under the genetic aging theory.

The many sophisticated internal mechanisms we possess for combatting these aging mechanisms, e.g. DNA polymerase, extend our lives to their present value, from the much shorter period that we would otherwise survive.

Basically, the sophisticated mechanisms are switched off gradually as we get older. This is genetic.

John Connellan said:
Basically, the sophisticated mechanisms are switched off gradually as we get older. This is genetic.
They may simply function less and less efficiently as accumulating damage degrades their functioning.

John Connellan said:
No we definitely have the power to stop and reverse accumulating damage. It's what happens to us until we reach our twenties!
Maybe not. Maybe we are accumulating damage then too, but it only becomes apparent when the damage reaches a certain level.

No apparently there is scientific evidence that our bodies have a regenerating capacity for the years up to adulthood which declines with age.

Well its just not possible, and the only reason for this is that even though you may be biologic immortal, the chance for getting a devastating accindent is such that at average you'll grow to a healthy 500 years 'roundabout'. Think of carcrashes, explosions, taking an sudden dipe in a barrel acid......
(americans bombing your country to hell) :bugeye:
And for the part of transporting our conscious to highly advanced computers, even they have a tendisy to fail, or get corrupted. And then im not even speaking about the sun swalling up our planet. So im my humble opinion this subject is mute.

Last edited:
OK... OK... I think the usual concept of "immortality" is thought of simply being immune to old age (and maybe disease also), being able to stay healthy and vigorous indefinitely.

JRR Tolkien's elves were referred to as immortal in this context - but they could still be killed by fire, or thirst, or drowning, or starvation, or dismemberment, or whatever, and often were. They could even die of a broken heart.

Back