Is husband liable for wife's STD?

How did I miss this?

That all applies to the STD, which the law references. It does not apply to the infidelity, a legal activity the law does not mention.

OK, again: If the the harm happened because of infidelity, it doesn't matter if infidelity itself is legal or not. Indirectly infidelity caused her STD.

Also he can not use the "I didn't know" excuse, because it is rather irrelevant. By screwing around he put his wife at risk. Just like driving with your worn out tires, if you cause an accident because of it, it doesn't matter if you knew or not the conditions of the tires. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, that's where criminal negligence comes into picture...

OK, again: If the the harm happened because of infidelity, it doesn't matter if infidelity itself is legal or not. Indirectly infidelity caused her STD.
All that matters is whether he gave her the STD, and whether he knew beforehand that he had it. It doesn't matter if he got the STD from an affair or a toilet seat.

By screwing around he put his wife at risk. Just like driving with your worn out tires, if you cause an accident because of it, it doesn't matter if you knew or not the conditions of the tires. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, that's where criminal negligence comes into picture...
Again you're equating not maintaining one's car, illegal, with infidelity, legal. Legal behaviors have no relevance in this case, no matter how risky they are. If he went skydiving and fell on her, the skydiving would have no bearing on a negligence claim of hers. Only the fact that he fell on her would. Whether he fell on her from a rooftop or an airplane would be irrelevant.

We are not just not improving here, but seriously taking steps backward

All that matters is whether he gave her the STD,

true.

and whether he knew beforehand that he had it.

Untrue. For the last time, by screwing behind her back he put her at risk.

It doesn't matter if he got the STD from an affair or a toilet seat.

it is so untrue, that this sentence proves your inability to see the problem.

A toilet seat is an accident, shit happens.
Fucking around is an active way of doing something possibly dangerous.

End of story, I am done with you. Just take my word for it, he commited criminal negliegence according to the letter of law....

P.S.; You know, it is almost funny how you can come up with such a bad example, proving yourself wrong... :)

If he went skydiving and fell on her, the skydiving would have no bearing on a negligence claim of hers.

Sure it does. The fallie can rightfully sue the faller....

Untrue. For the last time, by screwing behind her back he put her at risk.
He put her at risk that way, but it's irrelevant to the case. He put her at risk every time he drove her somewhere; that wouldn't make him negligent if someone rear-ended them, because driving is legal.

it is so untrue, that this sentence proves your inability to see the problem.
It is true; the law says nothing about where the STD comes from. Obviously if he got HIV from a toilet seat, knew he had it, didn't tell her and gave it to her, he'd be in deep shit. The fact that he got it from a toilet seat would be irrelevant.

A toilet seat is an accident, shit happens.
Fucking around is an active way of doing something possibly dangerous.
Driving is an active way of doing something possibly dangerous too. An act of driving would have no bearing on a negligence claim, because it's legal, just like an affair is.

End of story, I am done with you. Just take my word for it, he commited criminal negliegence according to the letter of law....
Why should I take your word for it when the law doesn't support you? He may have been negligent, but his affair doesn't matter.

Zanket said:
If he went skydiving and fell on her, the skydiving would have no bearing on a negligence claim of hers.
Sure it does. The fallie can rightfully sue the faller....
Read carefully. I didn't say she couldn't sue him. I said the skydiving would have no bearing on a negligence claim of hers. Skydiving is legal, so he could fall off a ladder onto her and be just as negligent. What he was doing when he fell on her doesn't matter, as long as it's legal.

Last edited:
I almost went into the trouble of answering, but then I remembered what I promised, and I also ran into this sentence:

He may have been negligent, but his affair doesn't matter.

Quiz: See if there is a contradiction between the 2 parts of the above sentence.
Hint: there is....

No contradiction, because possible negligence hinges on the STD only, and not how he got it. Obviously if he could prove that she had the STD before they met, then the jury should rule in his favor despite the affair.

Back