Is God Rational?

I understand Poe very well

However it seems you do not understand me

I don't do stupid

I have a 3 Ping rule

You have breached both

:)

(CLICK)
Anger, impatience, mimicry and obscure internet memes?

Despite all the odds that are seemingly stacked against it, life and all its glorious abstractions ultimately prevail at every moment!

B-):wink:B-)

I'm thinking we all have a degree of faith. I'm sorry for the previous post while trying to illustrate my point. I wasn't suggesting you should, only that you probably love life too, even if that's responding to my posts
But I don't have to engage in strategic self-deception.

So does that make life irrational ... or is it irrational to expect to know everything?
Life is predictable yet unpredictable, so yeah, it's irrational. I don't know how all knowledge can be contained within one individual, but maybe as a collective conscious it is possible.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Its the nature of anything with life to find meaning. If you want to talk of that quest for meaning, action or knowledge having value, you have to tie it down to some goal or quality. There is no escaping this requirement, even if one is talking of rednecks shooting empty beer cans (Why only shoot the empty ones?).

Such as good and evil? Meaning has more depth, I believe, than just a pair of labels, but it is our nature to reduce everything into the most simple equation.

If you were looking at the prospects of a 40 year all expenses paid holiday in prison, would you hire a lawyer, or would you think "I can lead an equally fulfilling life regardless of whether I spend the next 40 years in prison or not"?
It depends on the accusation and whether I was guilty of the crime.

The prisioner may have his life, and you may have yours, but is it merely a case of his life being "different" when there is a (rational) desire on your part not to unnecessarily trade places?
He made his choices in life, I make my own. There's also the moral aspect to be considered--are our choices merely directed by potential consequence? As an example, I think it immoral to murder.

Or alternatively, what of those persons whom we would like to trade places with?
(It can take the form of wanting to be rich like Bill Gates or gifted like Mozart or more subtle like tolerant like my grandfather or charitable like Robin Hood). We are constantly engaged in assailing the labyrinthe of higher and lower values as we perceive (either rationally or irrationally) where our ultimate benefit lies.
I think you eventually reach a point where you accept your limitations and give gratitude for what you do have rather than what you don't have. We can use other people as inspiration to further ourselves.

Last edited:
It's not always good, is it?
If you're referring to life, you are absolutely, undeniably correct. It can be downright horrible. I can't make any excuses for that. A rational mind might reason himself out of existence, an irrational mind might use faith to keep himself standing.

Life is predictable yet unpredictable, so yeah, it's irrational. I don't know how all knowledge can be contained within one individual, but maybe as a collective conscious it is possible.[\quote]

How does an unpredictable element make it irrational? Since absolute predictability requires omniscience (a quality unique of God), it seems obvious that the only irrationality involved is postulating that we require to possess such a quality.

It depends on the accusation and whether I was guilty of the crime.

He made his choices in life, I make my own. There's also the moral aspect to be considered--are our choices merely directed by potential consequence? As an example, I think it immoral to murder.

Hence ...

The prisioner may have his life, and you may have yours, but is it merely a case of his life being "different" when there is a (rational) desire on your part not to unnecessarily trade places?

I think you eventually reach a point where you accept your limitations and give gratitude for what you do have rather than what you don't have. We can use other people as inspiration to further ourselves.

That moving forward is a based on values, with a clear idea (although not necessarily accurate idea) of what constitutes as our ultimate benefit.
Rational life involves pursuing values that actually provide ultimate benefit. Irrational life involves pursuing values that fail to provide such benefit.

Thus, the difference between irrational and rational existence is as simple as knowing where our ultimate benefit lies and possessing the fortitude to be obedient to such a realization.

Last edited:
Scientific understanding and technological solutions to the source of specific forms of suffering.
That is a noble cause, and we have reduced suffering to some degree, but I don't believe we will eliminate it. We might create more suffering in our effort to bring it to an end. What do you think?

Internal drug glands, machine bodies, personality digitization, don't be so pessimistic!

Back