Is eating meat morally wrong

makeshift:

What you have said sounds reasonable, but it seems to me that you are putting complexity and/or intelligence on a pedestal. To take an exaggerated example, would you say that somebody who is more intelligent is inherently more worthy of a right to life than somebody who is less intelligent?

Or is it that what matters is that greater intelligence comes with a greater capacity to suffer?

I guess this is turning into more of a philosophical discussion. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I'm wondering what it might be that makes intelligence or complexity an important factor. I have a niggling suspicion that humans say intelligence is important mostly because humans think we're particularly good at the whole intelligence thing. If it was a Cheetah deciding what ability was relevant, would it put speed as more important?

James:
To take an exaggerated example, would you say that somebody who is more intelligent is inherently more worthy of a right to life than somebody who is less intelligent?

According the model of thinking I went through in that thought exercise, the answer is: no. Higher intelligence (depending on how you define it) does not necessarily mean more capable of suffering, although there is a relationship between intelligence and suffering seen in the animal kingdom. So the answer is: no, not necessarily.

Or is it that what matters is that greater intelligence comes with a greater capacity to suffer?
For the sake of this discussion, yes. Of course I don't pretend to know that greater intelligence causes greater suffering. I am only noting that animals which suffer more seem to be more intelligent/complex from a human perspective. There seems to be a relationship.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I'm wondering what it might be that makes intelligence or complexity an important factor.
It's important because of its relationship in an organism's ability to suffer. While not everyone may agree, suffering sucks. Well, excessive suffering anyway -- especially when the suffering organism perceives the pain to be out of its locus of control (factory farming).
I have a niggling suspicion that humans say intelligence is important mostly because humans think we're particularly good at the whole intelligence thing. If it was a Cheetah deciding what ability was relevant, would it put speed as more important?

Like I mentioned, the only reason I brought intelligence up is because of its relationship to the ability of an organism to suffer. If animals weren't capable of suffering, would you still object to eating them? I suppose that's the whole idea behind lab-grown meat. (I suspect even then, a lot of vegans and vegetarians would remain dubious, but who can blame them! :cool: )

if animals werent for eating - why are they made from meat? if fish werent for eating - why is their flesh edible

does a lion or a tiger suffer delusions of morality when it kills and consumes? does it bloody hell, it was hungry so it ate.

do plants suffer? when you remove a potato from is growth medium does it suffer? plants die, trees die, animals die, human beings die, bacteria dies, does this therefore become a debate about suffering? to quote harper lee

"You can't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes."

pain is an exact science, we can empathise but never fully understand another individuals whole truth.

JamesR said:

Can you give me a justification which does not ultimately reduce to the pleasure of the eater?

To repeat:

When I look at a question such as you have asked--"Can you give me ANY ethical argument which justifies killing sentient non-human animals for food, in the ordinary course of life?"--I see a convenient flip in presuppositions. Any ethical argument for the status quo? Given that this status quo was delivered by nature and not cheap politics, I do think the burden is on the argument for change. Especially considering what that change means. This isn't merely anti-miscegenation laws, or tax reform. This is a fundamental facet of human evolution: what we, the species consume.

Look, not everybody requires the same diet. Blood type and diet, for instance, have tremendous influence on health. I don't see the point in eugenically eliminating a specific segment of the gene-pool for the sake of moral proposition.

For instance:

Has your body ever "turned on the switch" for a particular food? Have you ever craved something you've never eaten before, or just yesterday found repugnant? Why do you think that happens? Is one's craving merely petty psychology? What you treat as crude selfishness is often deep-seeded conditioning at the very least.

Again, the fact that you may desire meat does not mean you ought to eat it. You might also desire to murder, or rape, or commit any of a number of crimes. But that doesn't mean you should. Get some self-control, man!

In the first place, you miss the point. The point isn't about desire, but the reason for the compulsion. As my body decides it needs various things, I have come to eat certain things that I never liked before, as well as things I was never willing to even try to eat ... seriously, when my body suddenly demands something it has literally never had, I take notice. Is it mere superstition? Or is it somewhere in the wiring? How do I know what is in it? Is it an assembly of memory, essentially a knowledge without knowledge, or superstition? Is it in my basic programming? Why does my body respond so poorly, not only in lack of desire but in general performance, to a vegetable diet? When my body finally accepted cooked rice ... long story. But I know it.

That you would compare eating meat to the rape and murder indicates a certain delusional projection on your part. Do you really think nobody pays attention? You don't think you're arguing under the presupposition that humans and animals have the same value in terms of the human endeavor? It's the barest necessity in comparing murder and rape to the bacon my daughter ate yesterday. I mean, really ... you don't think you're overstating the issue just a bit? There's a reason some of the rabble are out to roust you, man. That's a really condescending bit of rhetoric there.

There is a reason my body and mind prefer regular consumption of animal flesh. I don't necessarily get my thing with shrimp and prawns, though. It's a texture thing, as it is with many vegetables. I consider my daughter at liberty, and was very pleased to see that she added pork to her list of consumables. We'll see what her demand becomes. You know, like I know why she wants more and more chocolate. Who doesn't? (Yes, I know, I know. But that's part of the point, isn't it?) I don't yet understand her thing with processed chicken nuggets. Long story. Because milk and cheese come from animals, her body already recognizes certain animal proteins as viable food. If her body finds proper use for animal flesh, then her diet will naturally include it. If not, well, I suppose you can sleep better at night, knowing you're one closer to realizing your eugenic aspirations. Me? I won't care.

I mean, for morality? Horsepucky!

She doesn't lack for protein, though. Her daily diet is textured vegetable protein supplemented by diverse dairy proteins. If she really wants the soy milk, why does she always seem pissed when that's what's in the container?

Altering nature for the sake of morality? Surely you jest.

I mean:

JamesR said:

The "evolutionary pattern", as I mentioned before, is an abstraction. Our species will evolve, regardless, and we are mere cogs in the wheel. I do not see how you can validly link some kind of moral imperative to evolution. Evolution is amoral.

My point exactly. Why would you propose interfering in that process with the deliberate assertion of morals?

You can't keep hollering, "Fallacy! Fallacy!" You're giving the word a poor reputation. Why are you asserting moral imperative over evolution? As with my daughter, so humanity: what comes will come. How can you reasonably to assert to shape that result for moral imperative?

Squeeze the economy, manage the bloodlines? After all, it's a moral duty, right? I mean, seriously, man: surely you jest!

What does your assertion of a moral obligation create? The attempt to eliminate the consumpton of animal flesh/products (circle one, or don't, but what "vegetarian" standard is appropriate? Should honey be eliminated?

Let's think about this for a moment, since it's a moral issue about the exploitation of animals.

And a moment longer, as owing to the fact of the moral imperative asserted against animal exploitation, this standard is to be passed down--over time, the ability to consume animal products will be jeapordized--we might want to consider the moral influence on evolution.

Morals, y'know.

I mean, you're smart, I know. You've thought about this. Why do we do this? Because it's what we do. What my daughter's body decides, it will decide. What my body decides, it will decide. Tailor that to moral presuppositions? I don't like escargot; it's a texture thing. Why do I like honey-mustard dressing, but not ranch? I can work wonders to make olive oil on bread an interesting experience for the palate, but it doesn't mean my body doesn't still respond better to butter.

For morals, though?

I wonder why you raise this. I am also interested in why you think this is unethical (I'm not saying it isn't - I just want your reasons).

Lack of prior consent. Imagine the discounts you could get on health insurance! Incentives from pharmaceutical companies. There's the way to socialize the healthcare system. Or, at least, successfully privatize it into universal care.

If that's the wave of the future, I'm dubious about humanity's moral capacities, anyway. But if that's how it's going to go, who am I to say it is, ultimately, wrong?

Yes, I think it would. Don't you?

Not if I don't like insects.

That depends. What harm is there in a gay gene? Whose interests are being weighed against each other in this case?

Well, there you go, then.

Isn't it hypocritical that you lament the ignoring of intangible interests of human beings, while at the same time you blatantly ignore the very tangible interests of non-human animals?

Only if I assign humans and non-human animals the same value in terms of the human endeavor. And, as we're aware, I don't.

Any gay gene would be recessive, after all, so what's the point of breeding it out through enforced heterosexuality? At least for morals' sake? If it didn't have its place in the scheme of things, would homosexuality exist at all?

If you're going to argue a principle whose outcomes include the eugenic, I think it's a fair question: For morals?

Feldergarb!

tiassa:

Look, not everybody requires the same diet. Blood type and diet, for instance, have tremendous influence on health. I don't see the point in eugenically eliminating a specific segment of the gene-pool for the sake of moral proposition.

I am not aware of any people who have to eat meat to live a healthy life. But perhaps I am wrong and in fact such people do exist. If so, they would be in a tiny minority. Do you agree? Then, for the purposes of this current argument, I think we can safely ignore that very small group and sort out the issue for the majority first. Ok?

In the first place, you miss the point. The point isn't about desire, but the reason for the compulsion. ... seriously, when my body suddenly demands something it has literally never had, I take notice. Is it mere superstition? Or is it somewhere in the wiring?

The important question is not where the desire comes from to act immorally, but how you respond to such impulses as a moral being. You may get a sudden urge to rape, or kill, or steal. But must you succumb to that?

That you would compare eating meat to the rape and murder indicates a certain delusional projection on your part. Do you really think nobody pays attention?

TW Scott has been saying the same thing. I am still waiting for somebody to explain to me how it is that I am delusional. I have already asked pertinent questions about the comparison of rape to eating meat, which have been ignored for the most part.

You don't think you're arguing under the presupposition that humans and animals have the same value in terms of the human endeavor? It's the barest necessity in comparing murder and rape to the bacon my daughter ate yesterday. I mean, really ... you don't think you're overstating the issue just a bit? There's a reason some of the rabble are out to roust you, man. That's a really condescending bit of rhetoric there.

You give yourself away in the first sentence, where you talk about value only "in terms of human endeavor". How is that anything other than species bias? The simple fact is that, like TW Scott, you value human life more than animal life, for no good reason. You are biased towards humans simply because you are a human, and you advocate arbitrary distinctions on the moral plane between human and non-human, based on no logical ethical precept.

There is a reason my body and mind prefer regular consumption of animal flesh.

Yeah. You've been brought up that way. You are used to eating meat. You probably don't have a good idea of what a balanced vegetarian diet requires. You like the taste of meat (with sauces and other flavours, of course, which raises the question...) But, most of all, it's just easier and more convenient for you, and you won't waste your time worrying about morality if it gets in the way of your own desires.

I consider my daughter at liberty, and was very pleased to see that she added pork to her list of consumables. We'll see what her demand becomes.

Did you explain to her what pork is and where it comes from? Or not?

Altering nature for the sake of morality? Surely you jest.

Every action "alters nature". You're not really advocate that humans abandon all decision-making, are you?

My point exactly. Why would you propose interfering in [evolution] with the deliberate assertion of morals?

It seems you missed my point before. By taking a moral stance, I am not affecting evolution in the slightest. Evolution occurs regardless of what I do or what you do. Sure, I might ultimately be affecting certain environmental factors, which might change the direction evolution takes in the very long term, but there's no reason to suppose that would be negative rather than positive. I'm not diverting evolution from some kind of pre-ordained "proper course". Evolution is not directed.

I'm not sure how well you understand evolution, so I fear I still may not have made myself clear. If not, please let me know and I'll try again in greater detail.

You can't keep hollering, "Fallacy! Fallacy!" You're giving the word a poor reputation.

The only times I've mentioned the word in this thread have been in the context of logical methods of argument. If you think my objections on those grounds have not been valid, please deal with the specifics.

Squeeze the economy, manage the bloodlines? After all, it's a moral duty, right? I mean, seriously, man: surely you jest!

Not at all. I think that creating a better world, in which people are more sensitive to the suffering of others, and more in tune with the environment that sustains them, is a worthy goal to pursue. The religious idea that human beings are separate from the rest of the animal kingdom, and able to live apart from the planet Earth, is supremely dangerous, in my opinion. We do not live in a bubble, much as some people might want to think we do. All our actions have effects, some of which go well beyond ourselves. We ought to examine the impacts of our actions, and seek to do good rather than evil. Thus, the moral imperative.

What does your assertion of a moral obligation create? The attempt to eliminate the consumpton of animal flesh/products (circle one, or don't, but what "vegetarian" standard is appropriate? Should honey be eliminated?

Let's get to first base first. For a start, we must establish the common ground that eating meat is bad. Next we can discuss other forms of animal consumption.

Regarding issues of consent...

Lack of prior consent. Imagine the discounts you could get on health insurance! Incentives from pharmaceutical companies.

Do cows consent to being killed and eaten? Why is that not relevant, while the absence of consent of your coma patient is important?

That depends. What harm is there in a gay gene? Whose interests are being weighed against each other in this case?

Well, there you go, then.

Yes, there you go. Is there harm in eating meat? Discuss.

Only if I assign humans and non-human animals the same value in terms of the human endeavor. And, as we're aware, I don't.

Why is the "human endeavor" the most important thing, for you?

If you're going to argue a principle whose outcomes include the eugenic, I think it's a fair question: For morals?

Do you not think that shaping non-human animals specifically for our consumption is not eugenic? Aren't you applying a double standard here?

well Humans need meat to live, well at least infants

infants can't go on a Vegan diet or any type of shit like that, hear about that Vegan couple that tried to make their baby a Vegan too? it caused the child to become malnourished.

If the technology became avaliable to turn all carnivores on earth in to herbivores, do you believe it would be the only decent thing to do?

no, iron is essential to a healthy body and immune system, you would have to eat bucket loads of spinach to get the amount of iron you get from one steak.

if you are going to wave your magic wand singular changes like the one you have suggested would be counter productive. and where do you class fish? and would sharks still be allowed to eat seals?

James R said:
I am not aware of any people who have to eat meat to live a healthy life. But perhaps I am wrong and in fact such people do exist. If so, they would be in a tiny minority. Do you agree? Then, for the purposes of this current argument, I think we can safely ignore that very small group and sort out the issue for the majority first. Ok?

Actually we are the majority, not some idle minority. Mankind was meant to mostly fruits and meats. You can tell this by the food he find the most delicious. Hardly any fruit or meat is an acquired taste, yet almost every vegetable, grain and bean is. Not to mention we have most gastrointeninal problems when we introduce beans, legumes, and some grains. So that tiny majority would be almost every single person. And since we have everything worked out, why don't you just live with it.

The important question is not where the desire comes from to act immorally, but how you respond to such impulses as a moral being. You may get a sudden urge to rape, or kill, or steal. But must you succumb to that?

Hmmm, so you are equating a body's natural inclinations for certain food to raping, killing, and stealing. Don't try to deny it as it is clearly right there. What kind of twisted person are you? Do you have thoughts that are better left undid? There is also the question of that invisible line most human beings have. The one that lets us tell the difference from a food craving and thoughts such that you suffer.

TW Scott has been saying the same thing. I am still waiting for somebody to explain to me how it is that I am delusional. I have already asked pertinent questions about the comparison of rape to eating meat, which have been ignored for the most part.

We ignore stupid banalities and spurious attacks as matter of course.

You give yourself away in the first sentence, where you talk about value only "in terms of human endeavor". How is that anything other than species bias? The simple fact is that, like TW Scott, you value human life more than animal life, for no good reason. You are biased towards humans simply because you are a human, and you advocate arbitrary distinctions on the moral plane between human and non-human, based on no logical ethical precept.

For no good reason? Hmm. No logical etical precept? Hmmm.

Seems we have over estimated your mental faculties. Let us put forth a series of hypotheticals for you. Let us see how you respond.

A: You and your wife and children are camping. Suddenly a bear attacks. You happen to have a .475 Linebaugh Revolver and can kill the Bear in one shot. Or you can watch your kids, wife, and yourself be mauled to death.

B. You are hiking in the woods and see a couple being stalked by a Tiger. It is obvious it has been playing cat and mouse with them. You can save their life by shooting the cat, not even with intent to kill.

C. You happen upon an man and a pnather in life or death struggle. Neither know you are there and they are evenly matched. You can swing the fight either way.

original said:
It seems you missed my point before. By taking a moral stance, I am not affecting evolution in the slightest. Evolution occurs regardless of what I do or what you do. Sure, I might ultimately be affecting certain environmental factors, which might change the direction evolution takes in the very long term, but there's no reason to suppose that would be negative rather than positive. I'm not diverting evolution from some kind of pre-ordained "proper course". Evolution is not directed.

corrected for truthfullness said:
It seems I missed my own point, which is relatively common. By taking a immoral stance, I am affecting evolution in the broadest sense. Evolution occurs regardless of what I do or what you do, but i can sure influence it. Sure, I will ultimately affect certain environmental factors for the worse, which will change the direction evolution takes in the very long term, and there's every reason to suppose that will be negative. I'm diverting evolution for some kind of pre-ordained "proper course". Evolution can not directed.

I'm not sure how well you understand evolution, so I fear I still may not have made myself clear. If not, please let me know and I'll try again in greater detail.

He understands it much better than you do your own psyche.

original said:
Not at all. I think that creating a better world, in which people are more sensitive to the suffering of others, and more in tune with the environment that sustains them, is a worthy goal to pursue. The religious idea that human beings are separate from the rest of the animal kingdom, and able to live apart from the planet Earth, is supremely dangerous, in my opinion. We do not live in a bubble, much as some people might want to think we do. All our actions have effects, some of which go well beyond ourselves. We ought to examine the impacts of our actions, and seek to do good rather than evil. Thus, the moral imperative.

corrected for truthfulness said:
Not at all. I think that creating a better world, in which people are more sensitive to the suffering of others, becuase they are repressed by my whims, is a worthy goal to pursue. The religious idea that human beings are separate from the rest of the animal kingdom, and able to live apart from the planet Earth, is supremely dangerous, in my opinion. Of course I'll never admit that no religion holds to the ideas I claim to abhor. We do not live in a bubble, much as some people might want to think we do. Like me, I think that if we eliminate animal consumption we'll be kinder, gentler more tractable and thus easier to bend to my will. All our actions have effects, some of which go well beyond ourselves. We ought to examine the impacts of our actions, and seek to do good rather than evil. Thus, the moral imperative. Of course while your doing good I am building my empire of lies.

Let's get to first base first. For a start, we must establish the common ground that eating meat is bad. Next we can discuss other forms of animal consumption.

Why would I agree to a falsehood?

Last edited:
O! Human woe!

JamesR said:

I am not aware of any people who have to eat meat to live a healthy life. But perhaps I am wrong and in fact such people do exist.

Even I didn't buy into the Atkins fad. Seemed a bit extreme. I'm sure you've heard of it, though. And yes, they're a tiny majority, and you can ignore them if you want. I do.

First off, the response to such impulses invokes considerations of simple chemistry. What you're overlooking in your rush to fanatic judgment is the point of the story I tell. The body demands what it works with best. Period. That's why my body turned on to uncooked spinach. That's why my body will tolerate--and that's the best it will do--carrots. The moral act, therefore--or at least what I understand of your argument--is that I should force my body to endure foods it barely tolerates, including the response of trouncing my sociofunctional rhythms as well as the very nature of the thoughts that occur inside my brain, for unfounded moral discretion?

TW Scott has been saying the same thing. I am still waiting for somebody to explain to me how it is that I am delusional.

Let's start with your disavowal:

The Curious:

- Humans and other animals have the same value in terms of the human endeavor.​

I don't know what you mean by that. I have never argued that humans and animals have the same value. Explain.

Yes, you do. When you compare eating meat to the rape and murder of humans, you're presuming moral parity. Which leads to the next point. That it works out so conveniently is not a pure accident of the Universe. It's an accident, but rather limited. In other words, here we go again.

JamesR said:

You give yourself away in the first sentence, where you talk about value only "in terms of human endeavor". How is that anything other than species bias?

Species bias is a foundational aspect of evolution. Let's start with an easy exaggeration or two: Do you try to destroy a disease in your body? Yes. Among health care solutions are the eradication of various living species. Do we separate the microbe from the bovine in assigning moral values? How about plant? Is it wise to attempt to eradicate marijuana, opium, and coca entirely? To make those species extinct? Does "Nature" have any rights? Only what she asserts.

Consider, please: So we build a bunch of houses in some previously-wooded foothills. You and I make cash hand over fist not only from the stunning property values, but also the premiums on the wood we cut down. Six months after the first home sells, or perhaps precisely as we toast the four-hundreth home sale, a mother of two is attacked by a coyote while jogging early Thursday morning. The animal is located, cornered, and shot to death by the local authority. Considering that we humans chose to build in the coyote's habitat, is it really moral to kill a bitch for defending her litter?

And what would we, the developers, say of the coyotes? "F@ck 'em."

I find it rather distasteful, but there is a fair argument on behalf of species. There's also a fair argument on behalf of natural selection to explain the lost jogger.

What about game hunting? At least the cow I ate last night was born for that specific purpose. Can't say that for the last venison I turned down. Don't yet know what it means about fish, but something about the "sport" of hunting makes it seem, to me at least, morbid. Yes I wish it was all free-range, but that it's not is the result of economic priorities that have other, more pertinent ramifications in the evolutionary scheme. There is much more to work on in these dimensions than altering the fundamental nature of humanity specifically for moral dictate. What you're pushing comes down to eugenics, and that without the guarantee of success.

For what species would you permit the extinction of humanity? (Bees, Dolphins, bacillus plague, those nasty freaks from Independence Day?)

Or would a species bias get in the way on that count?

Now work back from there.

Should we attempt to eugenically alter humanity on a purely moral basis?

Yes, it's a species bias. A dead cow has more value to me than a dead human. In purely economic terms, that is. Everything else is an appeal to my own emotions. Just as your argument is an appeal to a sense of aesthetic. Life is. Suffering is. Yes, I care. Like I said, I wish it was all free-range. I think veal is nuts. But I think hormone use in altering the herd is more of a concern in terms of the human health impact. Is the comsumption of meat akin to the rape and murder of humans? The comparison has never occurred to me. Yeah, f@cking a horse is akin to rape. Yes. Okay? But come on. For me, the difficult question is whether or not I actually could eat a dog. See, cattle are useful to me as food. Dogs are useful to, if not me, other human beings of certain cultural acquaintance, other roles. I don't doubt that a bull could be a fine friend, but the dog is more suited by evolution to the job. Myself, I'm a cat person. That my cat still chooses to live with me is something I appreciate. Cats are free creatures. Not by any moral principle of mine, but as dictated by my relationship with felinity over the years. They have little value to me in terms of food. In fact, they could bring the rats and mice and birds, if it really came down to that. Show me a bull that can bring me dinner and I will show you a hamburger, or fettuccine alfredo, with milkshakes. Maybe if I ever get around to owning a pot-bellied pig I'll understand a thing or two about why not to eat bacon. In the meantime, the best arguments against bacon have to do with my health, not the pig's. And that's how it goes.

And yes, she knows that "oink-oink" is bacon. She adores the movie of Charlotte's Web. I even called it "Wilbur" once. She eats chicken, too. Despite her response to "chicken" as "chick": Peep-peep!

Strangest damn thing, though. The chicken. I'm told she eats turkey, but I don't think I've ever seen it. Then again, I haven't gone out of my way to try, either. She's grabbed my hand, examined my burger, and decided against many a time. I would be limiting her humanity excessively to chase her away from it.

I think it's a matter of natural demand. Our bodies are equipped for meat. If, later in life, she chooses a restricted diet for moral reasons, that will be her business. In the meantime, what her brain decides it wants, she can have. That does not, however, go for my Guinness.

Imagine one of those awful scenarios. Plane crash in the mountains. Look, I have nothing to say to those unfortunate folks in the Andes, but apparently you do. Not necessarily as things are, but as things would be were we all moral. Imagine if they died because it had been so many generations since humanity ate meat, it was no longer a viable food source.

Melodramatic, yes, but underlying that a very fundamental change in human nature, and for pure morality's sake.

The only times I've mentioned the word in this thread have been in the context of logical methods of argument. If you think my objections on those grounds have not been valid, please deal with the specifics.

To reiterate your complaint:

Consuming meat is the current standard; it is not as if anyone here advocating the continued consumption of meat is asking humanity to do something it has never done before. The vegetarian advocates, however, are treading into territory that is at once pioneering and ultimately arrogant.​

This also fails as a logical argument. This time, the fallacy is in the appeal to numbers. "If everybody does it, it must be good!". Sorry, but that just doesn't work. The "current standard" is not automatically right.

You're crying "fallacy" out of order. The argument I'm putting before you is the profound consideration of deliberately customizing humanity as a moral directive. It's not just an appeal to numbers, but an appeal to specific logic. What you argue could result in the elimination of our evolutionary equipment for consuming animals. I don't know, milk? Eggs? Cheese, butter? How about myzithra, a goat cheese I happen to like? So maybe we won't. If it is the right thing for humanity, it will be through economic demand that the evolutionary standard will be altered. At least, that's where our society is headed. But the same economic forces that make so much of the egg and dairy industry immoral are the same ones that make the mathematics of raising animals to slaughter remotely relevant in the first place.

Yes, I have a species bias. I do not like the notion of tampering with our genes for vanity's sake. Whenever we throw dice in the gene pool for stupid reasons, I get a shiver. Customize your baby's eye color? Hair texture? Muscle type, maybe? (For that Dad who wants a young superstar.) Look, I'm happy we're mapping our genes and all, but some of the potential for that is frightening. And in this longer-term tinkering with our evolutionary needs as a moral quest? No. Ridiculous. Economics will demand it before morals. And if you have the time to be happy about it while humanity suffers under whatever general economic nightmare presses them at that point in societal evolution, good for you. I don't feel like wasting my parental resources f@cking so directly with the gene pool. And yes, I know at least a little about what my own values imply for the future of humanity. What notions I'm contributing to. I've actually stopped to think about it. It's why I have an affectation for that silly Parker Stevenson TV movie a while back.

Throwing unfounded morals into the mix only makes things harder. And silly.

JamesR said:

Once again,

Tiassa said:

Morality is an inevitability of the human condition. The morality of having morals, aside from being a paradoxical question, can be determined by the objective foundation, the functional result, and the fundamental simplicity of the morals asserted.

Is having morals moral?

So ... who determines the moral imperative? My moral beefs with beef, for instance, have to do with the economic demands. Not only is free-range kinder to the animals, but it makes a better product. I've been through this before, I think. Somewhere, I think, I mentioned the bit about tweaking the herd and what it's doing to human herds. Our daughters .... Her morals are her business. The only reasons I shouldn't have given her the bacon have to do with her, and not the pig.

But, yeah. Economics and growth hormones. Big problem.

JamesR said:

Do cows consent to being killed and eaten? Why is that not relevant, while the absence of consent of your coma patient is important?

Because I do not purport that bovines and humans have equal rights.

Yes, there you go. Is there harm in eating meat? Discuss.

I do not purport that the animals I eat have equal rights to humans. Moral conflict is not an issue in the question of eating meat.

Why is the "human endeavor" the most important thing, for you?

Because it's what we're part of. You, me, everybody. Every human, that is. The bees got their own thing goin' on. Dolphins, too. And so on.

What could possibly be more important than the human endeavor? The self, perhaps? The pleasure of moral vindication, real or imagined?

Do you not think that shaping non-human animals specifically for our consumption is not eugenic? Aren't you applying a double standard here?

Of course. And I've got even harsher standards for other forms of life.

It appears I've forgotten an important one. Oh, and I'm ignoring that one about abandoning all decision making. Surely, you jest.

I consider the potential reduction of the human food spectrum a difficult proposition. You are diverting evolution from its pre-ordained proper course. Its proper course is wherever the necessities of life take it. Morals are not a proper wind, just a sack of hot air compared to the magnitude of necessity.

The results of your moral stance, if universally adopted, would indeed determine evolutionary outcomes over the course of generations.

Like I noted, economy will be the persuasive factor.

That's how humanity works these days:

By the grace of God Almighty,
And pressures of marketplace,
The human race has civilized itself.
It's a miracle.​

Roger Waters, "It's a Miracle"

What is the anchor of morality? God? Aesthetics? Reality? What are any of those things but perspectives?

What moral priority asserts such parity of rights for non-human animals?

We could try screwing with the animals' brains so they don't feel pain and can't develop a memory sequence. That way they wouldn't know they were suffering. Would that be any better? I think it would be a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
TW Scott:

I admit I'm in two minds about how to treat your latest post. It comes across mostly as childishly petulant, and I am sorely tempted simply to treat it with the ridicule it deserves. But at the same time, I probably need to hammer my argumentative advantage home. Since I can't decide, I'll try to do both.

Before we start, you do realise that my post was addressed to tiassa, I assume? Yeah yeah, I know I mentioned you a couple of times, so I forgive you for responding in regard to points which you yourself did not raise.

Mankind was meant to mostly fruits and meats. You can tell this by the food he find the most delicious. Hardly any fruit or meat is an acquired taste, yet almost every vegetable, grain and bean is.

Tell me you eat your meat raw, with no seasoning or sauces, and I might start to take this seriously.

Not to mention we have most gastrointeninal problems when we introduce beans, legumes, and some grains.

In fact, I think there is some evidence which suggests that meat causes far more gastrointestinal problems than vegetables. I'd guess that the majority of food-poisoning cases result from poorly prepared or stored meat. Since you clearly haven't bothered to research this point, I don't think I will either.

Hmmm, so you are equating a body's natural inclinations for certain food to raping, killing, and stealing. Don't try to deny it as it is clearly right there.

I'm sure there are people out there who have "natural" urges for all kinds of kinky sex, or to commit all manner of crimes. Natural does not equate with good. How many times must I say it?

What kind of twisted person are you? Do you have thoughts that are better left undid? There is also the question of that invisible line most human beings have. The one that lets us tell the difference from a food craving and thoughts such that you suffer.

Another ad hominem. *yawn*

I am losing all respect for you, TW. And so, I suspect, are the other readers of this thread. Grow up.

We ignore stupid banalities and spurious attacks as matter of course.

See the irony?

For no good reason? Hmm. No logical etical precept? Hmmm.

Seems we have over estimated your mental faculties. Let us put forth a series of hypotheticals for you. Let us see how you respond.

Very well. I do hope you will explain at some point how these are relevant to the topic.

A: You and your wife and children are camping. Suddenly a bear attacks. You happen to have a .475 Linebaugh Revolver and can kill the Bear in one shot. Or you can watch your kids, wife, and yourself be mauled to death.

I shoot the bear. One life or multiple lives. The choice is simple. Quite apart from any personal considerations.

B. You are hiking in the woods and see a couple being stalked by a Tiger. It is obvious it has been playing cat and mouse with them. You can save their life by shooting the cat, not even with intent to kill.

Can I save their life by shouting a warning? (If absolutely necessary, I would injure the cat.)

C. You happen upon an man and a pnather in life or death struggle. Neither know you are there and they are evenly matched. You can swing the fight either way.

Difficult. Who is the man? Why is this struggle happening? All other things being equal, I'd help the man to scare off the panther.

It seems I missed my own point, which is relatively common. By taking a immoral stance, I am affecting evolution in the broadest sense. Evolution occurs regardless of what I do or what you do, but i can sure influence it. Sure, I will ultimately affect certain environmental factors for the worse, which will change the direction evolution takes in the very long term, and there's every reason to suppose that will be negative. I'm diverting evolution for some kind of pre-ordained "proper course". Evolution can not directed.

Your last sentence contradicts what has gone before. Either evolution can be directed, or it cannot. What is your view?

Next, assuming I can direct evolution, explain why a change of the human species to vegetarians would be a change for the worse, as you claim.

She understands it much better than you do your own psyche.

I think tiassa can speak for himself.

Not at all. I think that creating a better world, in which people are more sensitive to the suffering of others, becuase they are repressed by my whims, is a worthy goal to pursue. The religious idea that human beings are separate from the rest of the animal kingdom, and able to live apart from the planet Earth, is supremely dangerous, in my opinion. Of course I'll never admit that no religion holds to the ideas I claim to abhor. We do not live in a bubble, much as some people might want to think we do. Like me, I think that if we eliminate animal consumption we'll be kinder, gentler more tractable and thus easier to bend to my will. All our actions have effects, some of which go well beyond ourselves. We ought to examine the impacts of our actions, and seek to do good rather than evil. Thus, the moral imperative. Of course while your doing good I am building my empire of lies.

Bwahahaha! My evil plans will come to fruition! By creating an army of vegetarian zealots, I WILL RULE THE WORLD! And by creating kinder, gentler people, I will eliminate all opposition to my own will. No-one will oppose me. I shall be triumphant! Bwahahahaha!

You big baby. :D

Morally, no, I wouldn't say so. I don't eat meat but I have my own personal reasons for that.
I think it would be better if we didn't eat meat. I was in Biology today and we were learning about viruses. Most of the Viruses were started by humans eating animals. Like ebola and AIDS. If we never would have ate the animals we wouldn't have got the virsus and now it's spreading to loads of people. I sort of wonder if we weren't meant to eat meat.

there are numerous excellent recipes centred around pulses, i particularly like indian food, its fantastic cuisine and very healthy...

spicy vegetable curry (avial)

**any vegetables you like**

approx 100g of each

potatos
green beans
lentils
white pumpkin
baby sweetcorn

sauce-

2 cups of fresh OR dried coconut
5 or 6 fresh green chillis
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6 or 7 small red shallots roughly chopped
6 fresh curry leaves

Step 1

grind the sauce ingredients together to form a paste - add a little water if necessary

step 2

put all the prepared vegetables into a large pan and add just enough water to boil them, stir in 3 dessert spoons of tumeric and a little salt, then bring to the boiland cook until the vegetables are 'al dente'. drain off the tumeric flavoured water and keep it in a jug.

step 3

stir the paste made in step 1 into the vegetables and add enough of the tumeric flavoured water to form a thick gravy, continue to cook until the gravy has become creamy and spicy.

serve with pilau or brown rice and some good mango chutney.

NOTE: the spices in curries contain anti oxidants, and cancer fighting properties - india has a very low rate of heart disease. good fresh produce being used and natural cooking methods are partly responsible.

me, i like indian food very much, chicket tikka vindaloo being a favourite, as is a lamb madras.

beauty of indian food, it is simple, tasty and you can experiment with different ingredients in your favourite recipe, so it is very versatile.

Quagmire, that looks great, thanks, I have tasted Indian veg food before, when I was very fortunate to live near Authentic Indian vegetarian restaurant once, food was out of this world, my life long veggie friend was amazed. She'd never tasted such flavoursome food!

Quagmire said:
there are numerous excellent recipes centred around pulses, i particularly like indian food, its fantastic cuisine and very healthy...

spicy vegetable curry (avial)

**any vegetables you like**

approx 100g of each

potatos
green beans
lentils
white pumpkin
baby sweetcorn

sauce-

2 cups of fresh OR dried coconut
5 or 6 fresh green chillis
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6 or 7 small red shallots roughly chopped
6 fresh curry leaves

Step 1

grind the sauce ingredients together to form a paste - add a little water if necessary

step 2

put all the prepared vegetables into a large pan and add just enough water to boil them, stir in 3 dessert spoons of tumeric and a little salt, then bring to the boiland cook until the vegetables are 'al dente'. drain off the tumeric flavoured water and keep it in a jug.

step 3

stir the paste made in step 1 into the vegetables and add enough of the tumeric flavoured water to form a thick gravy, continue to cook until the gravy has become creamy and spicy.

serve with pilau or brown rice and some good mango chutney.

NOTE: the spices in curries contain anti oxidants, and cancer fighting properties - india has a very low rate of heart disease. good fresh produce being used and natural cooking methods are partly responsible.

me, i like indian food very much, chicket tikka vindaloo being a favourite, as is a lamb madras.

beauty of indian food, it is simple, tasty and you can experiment with different ingredients in your favourite recipe, so it is very versatile.

im hungry.

tiassa:
The body demands what it works with best. Period.
Blatantly false. Why am I not surprised that you didn't provide any evidence whatsoever to support your conjecture? Oh wait, I forgot, you ended the assertion with 'Period' (exclaimed in a rather arrogant tone). So it MUST be true.

That's why my body turned on to uncooked spinach.
That's why an alcoholic's body is turned on by a few shots of whiskey. That's why a heavy smoker is turned on by a cigarette. That's why someone who has been consuming meat all of their life enjoys animal flesh which is high in harmful saturated fat and cholesterol. That's why an obese individual binges on chocolate.
Merely because we 'crave' a product is in no way evidence that consuming such a product is natural, healthy, or moral. You're essentially committing the logic fallcy "argumentum non-sequitur."

The moral act, therefore--or at least what I understand of your argument--is that I should force my body to endure foods it barely tolerates,
Well, no, that's not what James R's argument is, unless you claim that your body can 'barely' tolerate every vegetable, fruit, egg and dairy product. The 'moral' act is to keep the suffering of sentient beings to a minimum, without compromising human health.

And may I point out that difficult choices can often be the moral ones? The 'easy way out' does not equate with having the moral highground.

including the response of trouncing my sociofunctional rhythms as well as the very nature of the thoughts that occur inside my brain, for unfounded moral discretion?
Because we all know that merely because something is pleasurable, or is a habit of yours, makes it morally justified.

Back