Is Christianity a Great religion?

Atheists can and will try to create an atheist version of religion; it is a simple fact that religion feeds our spiritual nature in a way that pure science cannot. So let the atheists try, and we will all see what happens. While Christianity is very powerful, it is also oppressive against gays and lesbians. In contrast, New Age religions are much more loving and tolerant, but they are not as strong, and are easily watered down. I have been asked by spirits: which religion is better? I honestly don't know. I believe that Christianity is strong and it allows smaller more tolerant religions to exist. I believe that atheist versions of religion will be tried, but will ultimately fail because they lack the most important ingredient: spiritual power.

Look, I get that the universe can often seem like an empty and meaningless place, completely indifferent to life and consequence. I get that many if not all humans feel a subconscious drive to give some sense, meaning and personification to the universe by projecting their own ideals and conscious thoughts as if there were a supreme creator who felt the same way. All the same, how can we possibly equate fantasies invented out of personal needs with solid, indisputable truth? How can you just one day decide upon the existence of a supernatural creator because that's how you want it, and come to any logical conclusion but "maybe, maybe not"?

I've moderated my views on Christianity from where I was when I was younger. I think any sensible interpretation of it that I've ever heard flies completely in the face of observable facts, and I think it's been used to promote a great deal of intolerance and outright barbarism over the last 2000 years. However, I also think there must have been vastly more destructive philosophies in the world at the time when Christianity came into vogue (which is probably why they all died out so long ago), and at least it was good enough to keep western civilization afloat into the modern age. Basically if it makes someone happy and doesn't lead them to try interfering in other peoples' personal lives, then I don't see it as being worse than any other personal indulgence.

Look, I get that the universe can often seem like an empty and meaningless place, completely indifferent to life and consequence. I get that many if not all humans feel a subconscious drive to give some sense, meaning and personification to the universe by projecting their own ideals and conscious thoughts as if there were a supreme creator who felt the same way. All the same, how can we possibly equate fantasies invented out of personal needs with solid, indisputable truth? How can you just one day decide upon the existence of a supernatural creator because that's how you want it, and come to any logical conclusion but "maybe, maybe not"?

I've moderated my views on Christianity from where I was when I was younger. I think any sensible interpretation of it that I've ever heard flies completely in the face of observable facts, and I think it's been used to promote a great deal of intolerance and outright barbarism over the last 2000 years. However, I also think there must have been vastly more destructive philosophies in the world at the time when Christianity came into vogue (which is probably why they all died out so long ago), and at least it was good enough to keep western civilization afloat into the modern age. Basically if it makes someone happy and doesn't lead them to try interfering in other peoples' personal lives, then I don't see it as being worse than any other personal indulgence.

Your point of view sounds pretty much like the undisputable facts that were all bumping into. Having said that, there is 5x more dark matter than there is regular matter; there is 5x more stuff out there that we can't see or detect. Nobody knows what it is, but let's be positive about it. I have to encourage people to embrace (if they want to) a religion, a philosophy or a point of view that eases their mind and hurts no one. I encourage UFO enthusiasts, angel enthusiasts, New Agers, and everyone who has a point of view that gives them peace of mind. It is perfectly sensible and appropriate to create peace of mind for ourselves and for others.

From a purely logical and unsympathetic outlook, you could treat people like Ghengis Khan did. You certainly don't strike me as a compassionate person.

Oh I see now, a compassionate person would call others communist pinkos and demand heads on a post. LOL.

Oh I see now, a compassionate person would call others communist pinkos and demand heads on a post. LOL.

Your anti-logic is getting old and trite. As an atheist, you do not stir the emotions or add anything to the human heart. What you say is more like a computer program, logical, boring, machine-like, soul-less. Is there any part of you left that is still human?

Your anti-logic is getting old and trite. As an atheist, you do not stir the emotions or add anything to the human heart. What you say is more like a computer program, logical, boring, machine-like, soul-less. Is there any part of you left that is still human?

What do insults and death threats add to the human heart, exactly?

The human heart pumps blood. Since souls have never been shown to exist, we are all soul-less.

You didn't give us a chance, we are busy debunking your delusions.

That statement doesn't make any sense.
Filling your head with gods or angels or any polytheistic nonsense isn't the only path to spirituality. If you were honest about it, you would desire your spiritual practice to be free of such fancy decorations.

Filling your head with gods or angels or any polytheistic nonsense isn't the only path to spirituality. If you were honest about it, you would desire your spiritual practice to be free of such fancy decorations.

In one sense, it is the great wealth and success of western civilization that permits us the opportunity to think about our own spirituality at all (as opposed to survival). Since you don't like gods or angels, what is it that you would put inside your head?

trinity

It comes from the NT. The word itself isn't used...but, God is looked at as a triune God --> Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I get that... where else is it mentioned in religion? I'm a christian..... I'm curios and never heard the trinity mentioned elsewhere

I get that... where else is it mentioned in religion? Shit I'm a christian.....

No worries, we won't tell anyone. ;)

1 John 5:7...is a good Biblical reference, and to answer your question, it's a commonly taught doctrine of the Catholic Church (to give you one example). Not all Christian denominations, however, believe that God is triune.

Are you a member of any particular church/denomination, may I ask?

In one sense, it is the great wealth and success of western civilization that permits us the opportunity to think about our own spirituality at all (as opposed to survival). Since you don't like gods or angels, what is it that you would put inside your head?
Yes, that should be the point of civilization, more leisure time.

I enjoy Eastern philosophies. They don't seek to fill you up with more things, they seek to empty yourself of preconceptions in order to see things as they are.

In pursuit of knowledge,
Every day something is added.
In the practice of the Tao,
Every day something is dropped.
Less and less do you need to force things,
Until finally you arrive at non-action.
When nothing is done,
Nothing is left undone.

Why people still go to church? They really believe God?
To pray to a Higher Power.

Prayinganimalscollage1.jpg

racoons-praying.jpg

dogprayepa_450x400.jpg

praying.jpg

Back