Is a cell an individual?

Because water and carbon are not living things.

I replied this above:

Evolution is not a magical regime or aura; it’s a condition of change through time. Evolution is not only for the living things, but everything (including planets, galaxies, energy in nature or human made technology, language, etc.) are subject to it. Nothing can escape it.

But Evolution of the living things are much more dynamic comparing with evolution of non-living things, that's why evolution issue is revolving around living things.

Is a cell a living thing? If not, then what constitutes 'life'?
Is a unicellular organism a living thing?
What does Natural Selection accomplish?
How does Natural Selection work?
How did Natural Selection act on a single cell organism?

Perfect questions. I hope you don't try to find perfect answers, or in other way of saying, closed boundaries such as life is restricted to this. Imagine if humans develop self replicating autonomous machines, are they going to be considered as "alive"?

Natural selection cannot work on individual cells in a multi-cellular organism because all cells share the same genome. If they happen to mutate, they are usually recognized as broken and disposed of by other cells.

I guess I'll make it clear:

1. None of our cells provide nutrient. WE DO. I can starve myself to death and the cells can't do anything about it.

You said that cells of multicellular organisms can not provide their own nutrients so they are not an individual. But given that they are in an environment with the nutrients they can 'eat' it themselves (absorb it).

Just like your skin cells growing on a media plate. That is they can survive individually. Independent of the rest of the body.

This is true also for unicellular organisms.

But most importantly the fact you are saying 'apoptosis' is only for multicellular organisms.

Why would unicelleluar organisms have apoptosis to begin with? It seems evolutionarily illogical. Which is maybe why such terminology has been strictly used for multicellular organisms.

If you call it apoptosis or not, that doesn't matter, the discussion is really about 'programmed cell death'. So if you don't want me to use 'apoptosis' then fine.

What is the evolutionary benefit of the evolution of programmed cell death in a unicellular organism?

Peace be unto you ;)

Again.. :confused:
Reread your own posts and my replies.
And please, read up on apoptosis.

Again.. :confused:
Reread your own posts and my replies.

I did, you were proposing that a cell within a multicellular organism is unable to survive on its own....

Anyhow lets concentrate on the apoptosis aspect

And please, read up on apoptosis.

Apoptosis is a kind of programmed cell death... Or do you disagree.

There are other forms of PCD's as well.. And my question is quite simple... What is the evolutionary benefit for PCD's in a unicellular organism? (You can leave apoptosis aside if you feel its restricted to multicellular organisms).

Peace be unto you ;)

Natural selection cannot work on individual cells in a multi-cellular organism because all cells share the same genome. If they happen to mutate, they are usually recognized as broken and disposed of by other cells.

So how do multicellular organisms evolve to other organisms?

Also if you want to take a stab at it:
What is the basis for the evolution of programmed cell death in a unicellular organism?

Peace be unto you ;)

So how do multicellular organisms evolve to other organisms?

Also if you want to take a stab at it:
What is the basis for the evolution of programmed cell death in a unicellular organism?

Peace be unto you ;)

Are you asking for yet another basic description of evolution?

I am not familiar with the reasons for the evolution of apoptosis in unicellular organisms. It could have something to do with parasites.

Are you asking for yet another basic description of evolution?

Well you said that a mutation in a cell were to happen that this cell would be destroyed.. If so then how can evolution work to form other species if it weren't for the mutations that introduce the variation which would be destroyed as per you.

I am not familiar with the reasons for the evolution of apoptosis in unicellular organisms. It could have something to do with parasites.

it may be good for 'parasites' to inject apoptosis-like thing into a host cell to control population size.. But why would the organism (the cell) itself be selected for such a change?

Its kind of like saying that cancer will be selected for? Or I guess a better example is AIDs will be selected for..

Peace be unto you ;)

Last edited:
Back