Interpretation of a dream

water

the sea
Registered Senior Member
I had this dream:

I dreamt that the hair at the top of my head fell out, and that a round wart grew in the middle of that bald round spot.

This is a really strange dream, I usually don't dream very odd things.

Interpretation, anyone?

Well, what do you associate with losing hair? How about warts?

I remember I had a dream where I had some disease that made me lose all of my hair and eyelashes, too, and I also grew horrible pimples all over my face. That was the dream where I split into a male and a female, and the female shot the male and thought that mom would find out because of the pimples; but then the female looked into the mirror, saw that all was fine, and carried on. Shortly, welcome to the club where people dream odd stuff.

I think it means that you're worried terribly about something to come or it's already here and the wart means the problem is growing (a disease of sorts) and you're not dealing with it and it's visible to all of your surroundings but not to you. :confused:

water said:
I had this dream:

I dreamt that the hair at the top of my head fell out, and that a round wart grew in the middle of that bald round spot.

This is a really strange dream, I usually don't dream very odd things.

Interpretation, anyone?
It means you are afraid of being embarassed, being wrong, even though you are certain that it will happen. The hair is your modesty and respect, and the wart is what you think lies beneath it.

Well, the other day (that was several days after the dream), I saw an old woman. Her hair was all thin at the top of her head, and there was a thing growing there, oval and about the size of a small egg. It was under the skin, probably some kind of tumor.

Well, the other day (that was several days after the dream), I saw an old woman. Her hair was all thin at the top of her head, and there was a thing growing there, oval and about the size of a small egg. It was under the skin, probably some kind of tumor.

Then there's no reason to believe that the dream meant any more than that.
Dreams don't have to mean anything.
In fact, psychoanalysts don't really attach importance to dreams. When they ask you about your dreams and such, they don't care so much about the dream as they do about your interpretation of the dream.

It's like a rorshach test.

As an aside, dreams are, in a way, a search for meaning. As you sleep, various things shuffle around inside your brain and your mind, the seeker of patterns and order that it is, desperately tries to make sense of it all. It even goes to the extreme of shuffling them in temporal order so that they make more sense. You experience this temporal shuffling when dreams lead 'logically' to some sound or event that is happening in the real world that eventually wakes you up. The phone ringing or alarm clock ringing. In the dream, things lead to that event. But. In reality the sound is heard first and the events leading up to it are shuffled in after the fact to explain it.

I've always found it interesting to try to identify the base elements involved in dreams. It is difficult if not impossible to do so, but it can be interesting. Think of how Babylonian writing was performed. Every word wasn't written down. But rather only key words here and there. When a scribe was telling the story of Gilgamesh, for example, the cuneiform on the tablet didn't contain the whole story. It only contained pieces of the story which he used to jog his memory. He would then fill in the empty spaces between words with the 'rest of the story'. Dreams operate in the same manner. Only in a more complicated fashion as the elements don't necessarily have anything to do with one another and because of the temporal reshuffling.

Edit: Oh. Wait. You said after the dream...
Well. Maybe you're psychic...

Anyway. Like I said. It's how you interpret the dream that is meaningful. There's no David to warn you about a coming famine here. Although the modesty thing is good. I imagine that there are cultural issues that would prevent us from really understanding the dream in the same way you would though.

I agree with the embarassment interpretation. But I think that the baldness is something that you can't hide publicly. So might there be some nasty little wart that you are afraid of becoming public?

Water, I agree it certainly was a strange dream that you have descibed.
The cryptic nature of dreams are part of why we dream. A puzzle that keeps our subconscious working on all the speculative possibilities.
To me your dream is about vanity, possibly the fear of intellectual embarassment as Jenyar has already suggested.

But the loss of hair could also be that you are shedding many preconceptions about things and the wart symbolises the growth of new ideas and thoughts that you are reluctant, due to those preconceptions, to come into your conscious realm. The growth is feared because to grow you have to let go and step into the realm of unknown ramifications.

I guess sometimes when we are very active in opening our minds to issues we over extend and fail to allow for the resolution of the fear involved in letting go of our prejudices and biases.
You have a questing mind and to arrive at answers it is necessary to let go of old answers and I tend to think that this dream is the outcome of those fears.

Sometimes we make contentions that threaten our intellectual vanity, sort of being out there with what others might consider outrageous. Our sense of losing the esteem of others creates a fear that has to be met with courage as you walk on shaky intellectual ground. The dream is a subconscious manifestation of these fears IMO
The dream is actually a very positive sign of your personal growth.

My advice is to think carefully about how this dream made you feel. Don't look to conventional dream interpretations to tell you about your own dream's meanings. For me, the most valuable derivative of dreams is our own connection with our subconscious. To truly derive the most benefit from our dream state and its ability to link us with our subconscious, lucid dreaming is remarkable. I have experienced it many times in my life but have only recently begun to actively pursue the experience. In my recent experience with keeping a dream journal (I know this sounds sophomoric), I realized that many aspects of my dreams had been escaping my notice. In addition, certain aspects of my dreams created very specific feelings in me that, when compared to accepted dream interpretations, did not at all coincide. I feel very strongly that dreams are important to our well being. I also feel that you should not allow yourself to be boxed in by preconceived interpretations of your dreams.

Lucidgirl said:
My advice is to think carefully about how this dream made you feel. Don't look to conventional dream interpretations to tell you about your own dream's meanings. For me, the most valuable derivative of dreams is our own connection with our subconscious. To truly derive the most benefit from our dream state and its ability to link us with our subconscious, lucid dreaming is remarkable. I have experienced it many times in my life but have only recently begun to actively pursue the experience. In my recent experience with keeping a dream journal (I know this sounds sophomoric), I realized that many aspects of my dreams had been escaping my notice. In addition, certain aspects of my dreams created very specific feelings in me that, when compared to accepted dream interpretations, did not at all coincide. I feel very strongly that dreams are important to our well being. I also feel that you should not allow yourself to be boxed in by preconceived interpretations of your dreams.
One of the reasons I have chosen not to pursue lucid dreaming is because:

that dreams are important to our well being

and how consciously interfering with them can lead to diminishing the value of those dreams. In other words let the sibconscious do it's job with out conscious intervention.

So how do you justify pursuing lucid dreaming as being a part of your well being and not just some form of entertainment.

Btw I agree with your post in the main....but see a contradiction...
1] your dreams are important to your subconscious well being
2] Pursuing the ability to consciously interfere with those dreams.

in other words
1] let you dreams do what they are supposed to do
2] interfere with those dreams consciously.

Do you see the contradiction?

Lucidgirl,

I also feel that you should not allow yourself to be boxed in by preconceived interpretations of your dreams.

Fortunately, there are so many preconceived interpretations of dreams, that there exists a choice of which interpretation to choose. I take it that one chooses the intepretation that seems most valid at a given point.

I have the same questions myself. It is very hard to resist the opportunities that lucid dreaming presents. For example, you can actually ask yourself questions and receive answers. It is a very difficult temptation to turn away from. You can fulfill any fantasy that occurs to you. It takes some training and dedication during waking hours (not so much that it detracts from the pursuit of my real life goals). Once I learned to recognize dream states and practiced dream recall I became more adept at lucid dreaming. I had always been able to do it, but I didn't know what it was. Once I did, I became extremely interested. I am concerned that maybe the practice of exercising my own will in my dreams will negate the true purpose of dreaming. If I'm using my dreams to play or experiment with my psyche, does that mean my brain is not performing the necessary functions it needs to? AAHHRRG!! It is frustrating. I have just started dreaming again after about 10 years of very limited REM. I learned that I had sleep Apnea and am being treated. As a result, I am now dreaming again and am also 'lucid' dreaming again. It is so hard to resist.

Lucidgirl said:
I have the same questions myself. It is very hard to resist the opportunities that lucid dreaming presents. For example, you can actually ask yourself questions and receive answers. It is a very difficult temptation to turn away from. You can fulfill any fantasy that occurs to you. It takes some training and dedication during waking hours (not so much that it detracts from the pursuit of my real life goals). Once I learned to recognize dream states and practiced dream recall I became more adept at lucid dreaming. I had always been able to do it, but I didn't know what it was. Once I did, I became extremely interested. I am concerned that maybe the practice of exercising my own will in my dreams will negate the true purpose of dreaming. If I'm using my dreams to play or experiment with my psyche, does that mean my brain is not performing the necessary functions it needs to? AAHHRRG!! It is frustrating. I have just started dreaming again after about 10 years of very limited REM. I learned that I had sleep Apnea and am being treated. As a result, I am now dreaming again and am also 'lucid' dreaming again. It is so hard to resist.

It is interesting that so many people find dabbling in lucid dreaming and other similar ventures.
My personal position is that dreaming is a necessary subconscious function. Reconciling our memories in ways that can be somewhat amazing in the outcomes. In some ways it is our creativity displayed.

If I can use the parapsychology word loosely here, it is understandable that these things excite our curiocity.

But I do wonder whether it is in our best interests to interfere in our minds natural innate functions and ask why life is such that we need these excitements.
I experimented with lucid dreaming years ago and decided to avoid doing so simply becasue I had no idea of what the ramifications might be. Until I do I wont play with it.

I guess I have a healthy respect for our innate psychology and fidddling about for entertainment purposes just doesn't seem right to me....

How adept did you become at it? I am torn because I find that when it occurs, the experiences I have in my lucid dreams are so fantastic that it's like an addiction. It's not that my life is lacking in any substantial areas. I have a great job, a loving fiance, nice home ...etc. but the dreams are so intense. How did you turn away from it?

Lucidgirl said:
I am concerned that maybe the practice of exercising my own will in my dreams will negate the true purpose of dreaming. If I'm using my dreams to play or experiment with my psyche, does that mean my brain is not performing the necessary functions it needs to?

As many people can testify, it is possible to screw yourself up. And screw yourself up badly.

Also, there is the saying that "many chefs are going to spoil the meal". If you approach something simultaneously with many different theories and ways of treatment, you are likely going to mess it up.

Lucidgirl said:
How adept did you become at it? I am torn because I find that when it occurs, the experiences I have in my lucid dreams are so fantastic that it's like an addiction. It's not that my life is lacking in any substantial areas. I have a great job, a loving fiance, nice home ...etc. but the dreams are so intense. How did you turn away from it?
I would tell myself to wake up and always would. I would say to my self if I felt the urge to engage will, that it was not good to do so so I woudl tell myself to wake up.

After a while my dreaming returned to what may be considered as "normal" if there is such a thing as normal.
Have you ever considered that you also dream when awake but because your are consciously looking outwards you can't see them. Basically subconscious reconciliation never stops your entire life.

Why should dream experiences be sacred when real life experiences beg for interaction? It's the same mind...

Jenyar said:
Why should dream experiences be sacred when real life experiences beg for interaction? It's the same mind...
Jenyar, I fail to see the relationship......care to elaborate?

Both are a function of the brain's processes - sensory, emotional, pychological. Like you said, subconscious reconciliation never stops. We (from the perspective of the observer) are as much specators and active interpreters in life as we are in our dreams. But we don't hesitate to interact with our environment while we are awake, why should we while we are asleep?

I had to learn how to speak, walk, run, even fly in dreams, just as I had to learn certain skills in waking life. I gained confidence and lost fear. Different skills may apply in dreams than in life, but I seriously think if one nurtures a healthy mind while awake, you will have healthy habits while asleep. We get our cues from both worlds, and we can apply our minds in both.

Just stating my opinion, take it or leave it...it's your mind afterall.

Sleep provides the mind an ability to roam free of our conscious wills influence. This I believe is essential. The ability to let go and let our bodies and minds find their natural balance.
All during our consciuous lives our will influences our growth and actions. During sleep we have the opportunity to find our true unwilled or innate state of being. So that the next day we have the balance our unfetted imaginations during sleep can provide.

By attempting to control your dreams with "will" means you may as well not be asleep. And just sit there fantasizing your life away. The only difference is that you can't normally see your fantasies when you are awake in the form of vivid visualisations.

The body and mind require sleep so that "will" is not influencing your heart rate and other bodilly functions. it needs to flow unfetted. Your heart and bodies endocrinal [hormonal] functions also needs to automatically respond to your dreams with out the dampening effect of will.

This is my opinion. I see no gain other than amusement from attempting to control your dreams. Further I believe that the price for that amusement can be devastatingly high.
Why take the risk?

Back