Intelligent Design receives jaw breaking right cross from Darwin The Merciless! :)

Ah. I see. Well, there really is no folderol regarding neoDarwinian theory. Everything is constantly questioned.

think of it this way

"Darwin's theory is confirmed because we have more theories that confirm it"

:shrug:

The shrug indicates that you are neither familiar with some basic scientific terminology - nor have you fully understood what when on in this study - if you had you might have gained an insight into how science works.

I'll break it down for you:

What a theory (in the scientific sense) is:

an explanatory framework that explains a series of facts (remember this its important)

What a theory does:

Makes predictions that can be tested.

So what happened in this case was the scientists involved took one of the predictions made by evolutionary theory - namely that complex cellular structures evolved from simple cellular structures with often unrelated functions, and aksed a question:

"If this is true then we should be able to find them - where shall we look?"
They then hypothesised (NOT theorised) as to where they might be found based on a sound knowledge of cell biology and went looking.

They found what they were looking for and the results confirmed the prediction.

It is in fact a very neat illustration of how science works - prediction - hypothesis - test - result

So the theory was not confirmed by another theory as you so naively put it - the theory was instead reinforced (again) by (yet another) series of facts.

Conversely this doesnt bode well for creationism or ID (yeah ok - I know you're about as surprised as me by that one).

Creationism would predict that an omnipotent creator would create the optimum cell machinery from unique designs - which is clearly not the case here - cell machinery is neither optimum nor - as this study concludes - unique in origin.

ID's predictions of irreducible complexity (despite having been (quite literally) laughed out of court many years ago) - are similarly dead in the water.

Back