Insects

"thermal homeostasis" = maintaining a constant temperatur in a "house", in this case a termite hill?

homeostasis -e :)

actually it was pretty self explaining, but for some reason i posted anyway, guess im attempting to get 1000 post before newyear.

I can still remember my zoology class in university. The teacher finally ended up at the topic of endotherm and exotherm. He wasn't very please with the topic of cold-blooded, because exotherm animals are not really cold-blooded. They do as much as possible to gain a stable thermal homeostasis. Some of these exotherm animals found rather good ways of doing this, others have a more fluctuating body temperature. But all animals strive to gain some kind of homeostatis, be it thermal or ionic or whatever. Endotherm animals found a solution by heating up their bodies constantly. A brilliant but costly solution. Exotherm animals do it in other ways.

(i know you knew this, but i posted it anyway)

I never knew that, Spurious. Or rather, I never looked at it that way. That's very interesting. So, the termite mound can be likened to our metabolic machinery. Are there any insects that are not hive insects that do this? I suppose that in a way, a colony is required, isn't it? A way of looking at the hive as a single organism. A single endothermic organism.

Some species of moth warm their flight muscles prior to flight by vibrating their wings
until they reach their optimum temperature. This is certainly not homeothermy, as the temperature is only maintained as long as it is required, but it is a good example of voluntary temperature regulation in poikilotherms.

I read somewhere once that a reptile, if ill, will try to elevate its body temperature above its normal optimum (by sunning itself), in the same way as mammals and birds develop a fever. Evidently the immune system works better at a higher temperature. Slightly off-topic but interesting.

They have the maintain thermal homeostasis from outside sources, thus exotherm. If the organism could do it all by them selves then it would be a endotherm. Super-organisms don’t count.

A thermodynamics professor had written a take home exam for his graduate students. It had one question: "Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?Support your answer with a proof.

" Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law(gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following: "First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So,we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people don't belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now,we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added. This gives two possibilities: 1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose. 2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Therese Banyan during my Freshman year, 'That it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you', and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then 2 cannot be true, and so Hell is exothermic." This student got the only A.

A thermodynamics professor had written a take home exam for his graduate students. It had one question: "Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?Support your answer with a proof.

What's that got to do with anything?

Enigma'07 said:
What's that got to do with anything?

spuriousmonkey
resident pirate monkey (6,235 posts)

06-24-04, 02:19 AM
report | reply
I can still remember my zoology class in university. The teacher finally ended up at the topic of endotherm and exotherm. He wasn't very please with the topic of cold-blooded, because exotherm animals are not really cold-blooded. They do as much as possible to gain a stable thermal homeostasis. Some of these exotherm animals found rather good ways of doing this, others have a more fluctuating body temperature. But all animals strive to gain some kind of homeostatis, be it thermal or ionic or whatever. Endotherm animals found a solution by heating up their bodies constantly. A brilliant but costly solution. Exotherm animals do it in other ways.

Kunax said:
"thermal homeostasis" = maintaining a constant temperatur in a "house", in this case a termite hill?

i woz curious what the full meaning for thermal homeostasis is for mammals, and was wondering if u would reckon it was a handicap?

with out any knowledge what so ever, here is what i think:

keeping a constant temperature is a required handicap, the altanative is dead. The "key" would be finding the way that requires the least amount of energy to maintain the bodys temperatur, for humans thats housing and clocth(sp?)

Thanks that helps but i can find all this information on thermal homeostasis for other animals except mammals they have homeostasis to because their similar to humans in have the need for something else to homeostasis's their bodies!

Mammals maintain a thermal homestasis, but they do it only by expending considerable amounts of energy. Would you consider this a handicap?

Could you please explain to me where you believe hell actually is because I still do not understand where people get crazy ideas about heaven and hell.I believe heaven and hell are just complete fiction and also while Im on the subject souls all of these things are just ficticious myths to help us sleep at nights also If anyone agrees or disagrees give me a reply.So if this person got an A sack the teacher I say.

" Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law(gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following: "First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So,we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people don't belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now,we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added. This gives two possibilities: 1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose. 2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Therese Banyan during my Freshman year, 'That it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you', and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then 2 cannot be true, and so Hell is exothermic." This student got the only A.[/QUOTE]

Back