Insects

Enigma'07

Who turned out the lights?!?!
Registered Senior Member
Two questions:
1. are they cold blooded
2. do they have gangilia(sp?) or brains

1. yes insects are cold-blooded, their body temperature depends on the temperature of their environment, therefore the pumping rates of their hearts vary greatly

2. yes insects do have brains and sensory organs and ganglia, the brain plays an important role in image processing - their eyes are much more sensitive to motion than the human eyes
Insects have, in fact, a well-developed, nervous system, the brain processes the information from the different sensory organs, however, unlike human brains, it does not take total control of the movements. these are controlled by ganglia, which will function even when the brain does not work

I think ganglia are a dense bundle or cluster of nerve cells, usually extending quite long
while the brain is the center of the nervous system, sending out signals to the spinal cord, instead of transmitting direct impulses to the body

I am not sure, they may be the same thing, except ganglia is an extensive system and brain is just one stationary organ in the skull

oh no of course not, insects need ganglia so they can move faster because ganglia send direct impulses to the muscles to cause movements, without waiting for any response from the brain, this is essential to the survival of insects they have to move fast. Plus, it sometimes acts as a substitute for the brain, I guess

So ganglia provide reflex, like when you touch a hot stove and you imeadiatly pull your hand away? If they lost their brain, would they be able to survive with just ganglia? Could an insect have multiple ganglia?

yes I would suppose that the insects would be able to produce more faster and direct reflexes and movements to sensitive stimuli due to their possession of ganglia. however I do not think that they would survive physically without brains, because ganglia are only known to play an essential part in controlling movements, I don't believe they are able to send body parts hormones signaling digestion or other bodily functions
I don't know what you mean by "multiple ganglia", ganglia is the plural form of ganglion

I am not sure, but it is reasonable to think that they only have one, since they only have one nervous system

you're very welcome, any time
haha thanks, however I am not anywhere near knowing all, but I am, in fact, Mr. Science :D (that's one of the nicknames I have at school, the others include Bill Nye the Science Guy, and some more...:p)

are you called Bill Nye because you know alot of stuff like him, or because you act like him? :D

honestly I don't know, at least I am not sure of the reasons
but I don't dress like him, I don't talk like him, and no haha I don't think I act like him, probably because I am very interested in science like him, know stuff about it, though certainly not as much as Bill Nye does, also I am very enthusiastic about it and I like to talk about it a lot
I guess that's why I have earned my unique nicknames

that's alright. one year I had a teacher that insisted on calling me Professor White. I also "earned" a Nobel prize in religion. Not quite sure how I managed that.

haha:p

there is one counselor in my school who started calling me "Bill Nye" and kept calling me that every time I see him in hallway, at the end of the year, when I was talking to him in his office about modifying my timetable for next year, he actually forgot my name

Exotherm doesn't mean not being able to maintain thermal homeostasis. Au contraire. Some insects rather seek thermal homeostasis and are not that bad at it.

A termite hill is a perfect example of purposeful thermal homeostasis.

Back