In Godless We Trust?

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
Came across this interesting website:

godlessmoney.jpg

For more than 10 years, I have spent only Godless dollars. Using a red pen or stamp, I mark a circle and slash over the word "God" (as pictured above) on every bill that passes my way. When I make a withdrawal from the bank ATM, I immediately "de-God" each of the crisp new $20s. When I spend the $20s, and receive $1s, $5s, or $10s in change, I "de-God" each bill before passing it along. No merchant or business has ever refused to accept this "godless" money.

I probably spend at least fifty "godless" bills per week. That adds up to more than 2,500 "godless" bills per year.

Assuming that each dollar bill changes hands at least 20 times in the life of the bill, I estimate that my "godless" money passes through at least 50,000 people per year. In the past 10 years, I have thus circulated enough ""godless" money to reach a half-million people.

I'm not the only person to "de-God" money. I have many friends who have adopted this practice, thus we are reaching countless millions of people with "godless" money. In fact, thousands of atheist citizens de-God their money on a regular basis, potentially reaching every American with our "godless" money.

If you believe in "God", you may be interested to know that "godless" money spends just as well as the "In God We Trust" variety. One would think, if there actually is an "Almighty God," that "godless" money would "miraculously" drop in value. Or those godless bills would not work in vending machines. Guess what? They spend just as well.

Is it legal? YES! It is perfectly legal to "de-God" your money.

UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 18, PART I, CHAPTER 17 - COINS AND CURRENCY

Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Simply marking a red circle and slash over the word "God" does not constitute "intent to render [the bill] unfit to be reissued." As evidenced above, the "godless" bills spend just was well as the religious denominations (pun intended :).

Most financial transactions in the United States are in fact conducted with "godless" money -- personal and business checks, credit cards, wire transfers, bank credits and debits, stocks, bonds, and the like. In fact, billions, perhaps trillions, in "godless" money changes hands every day.

So what does "In God We Trust" actually mean? Based on the facts, it means only that the government continues to maintain superstitious practices and paranoid acts that should have died along with McCarthyism. It means that the government does not actually support religious freedom. It means that the government continues to establish that monotheism, belief in one "Almighty God," is the de facto official religion of the United States.

God Bless America! One Nation, Under God.

Along with "In God We Trust" these ridiculous and unthinking statements are the hallmark of government in the United States.

As Americans evolve to reject religion and the ranks of atheism, agnosticism, and secular humanism continue to grow stronger, we may eventually achieve an enlightened government; one that supports the separation of state and church; one that respects the rights of individuals.

Until then however, let's just keep on spending that "godless" money….
http://www.lava.net/~hcssc/godlessmoney.html

:p What do you think?

I recall the words of one (somewhat poor but nonetheless quite happy) gentleman in Sri Lanka - "If you want to know what god thinks about money you just have to see who he gives it to"

;)

ho ho ho, that's so funny. in addition to a possible mental disorder the person also misinterpreted the law

Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

what a dummy.

Last edited:
So, reissue of a dollar bill is dependant on wether the word "God" is crossed out or not?

The many other things that are written on bills that are in circulation seems to counteract your argument.

John 99,
I thought that would be the secret service. Their website says this:

Damaged or mutilated notes should be taken to a bank for redemption. When partially destroyed currency is of questionable value, the fragments should be sent by registered mail to the Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, OCS/BEPA, P.O. Box 37048, Washington, D.C. 20013. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing can be accessed through the Internet,

At the Bureau of Engraving, it said this:

WHAT IS NOT MUTILATED CURRENCY?

Any badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn, worn, out currency note that is CLEARLY MORE than one-half of the original note, and does not require special examination to determine its value. These notes should be exchanged through your local bank and processed by the Federal Reserve Bank.

Seems like it's only the bank which determines what constitutes defacement, and that standard would fall far short of what constitutes mutilation. I think this defacing law was designed to prevent people from destroying money wholsale in an attempt to destroy the economy.

i have never seen any de-godded bills before...

too much time on ur hands ... better to just make an online petition that doesnt do anything.

Who the Hell would destroy money to destroy the economy? Seriously, if you get money...why would you destroy it?

Why not just buy a Hummer and destroy the enviroment?

That's the AMERICAN way!

This godless money idea's really funny. Too bad I can't try it; I'm not in America :(

I'm so gonna do that when I move to america! Hopefully it will catch on, prompting an end to the whole silly god on currency thing.

Godless save our gracious Queen doesn't have quite the same ring, though.

Back