immortality is closer than you think

do you think it's a good idea to give people immortality

• Total voters

shacro

Registered Member
alot of people don't think living a longer healthier life is a good idea,
"life doesn't have meaning if you don't die" or"people living forever will cause overpopulation" and on and on
so what do you think what is better is it a good idea to make all immortals infertile to combat the lack of death or we just don't make any immortals

if you want more info google it and look on your own so your not bias
and this is a small preview of what I found
w3.youtube.com/watch?v=C25qzDhGLx8
w3.lifespan.io/campaigns/join-us-become-a-lifespan-hero/

note: we are only talking about biological immortally

LOL, why would I want to live on this planet forever? That's just like someone wanting to stay in kindergarten forever and never want to move onto the first grade.

I think living a longer, healthier life is usually a good thing. But immortality is something different. I disagree that immortality would be a universal good. Living forever is a kind of torture.

Living forever is a kind of torture.
Why so?
Surely it depends on what you are doing with the forever? and your individual outlook
I agree if you a just sitting around bored, or have done everything you wished to do
Found answers to everything you wished to know
If you are then being kept alive yes would be torture

I'm thinking perhaps everyone in heaven has Alzheimer's
For them every day is new with new friends

:)

I woud accept immortality startin right now... but only if i also have the choice to end it if i so desire.!!!

Well there is someone here at SF - an avowed atheist - who thinks living forever is not only a great idea but personally achievable despite his being ~ 74 yo already:
http://www.sciforums.com/threads/no-ufos-these-days.158441/page-2#post-3423728
http://www.sciforums.com/threads/wh...ilosophical-belief.154847/page-2#post-3383540
Science as substitute religion AND 'salvation' to eternal life in 'heavenly' techno-bliss! My guess is mega-pill-popping Ray Kurzweil is a big influence there.

PS: Just maybe, after 'only' ~ 4 days in the obvious wrong place, a certain thread:
http://www.sciforums.com/threads/new-species-can-develop-in-as-little-as-two-generations.160242/
will finally be moved to it's proper home in this sub forum? But this is SF after all.

One may not like to see all other dying in front of him, if he is immortal. Moreover life without variations can be boring. Even after avoiding aging, disease and trauma, you could still starve to death.

One may not like to see all other dying in front of him, if he is immortal. Moreover life without variations can be boring.
Yeah thats tuff even when not immortal but people survive quite well an continue on wit life.!!!

Kinda like when people have a hart transplant to extend ther life... woud you take a pill that woud eliminate a disease (wit no bad side effects) which woud allow you to live 50 more years than you woud have otherwise.???

Woud you like to accept immorality as long as you have the option to die when you choose.???

alot of people don't think living a longer healthier life is a good idea,
"life doesn't have meaning if you don't die" or"people living forever will cause overpopulation" and on and on
so what do you think what is better is it a good idea to make all immortals infertile to combat the lack of death or we just don't make any immortals
Tough question. My love for life and my love for myself run deep. I lean towards the direction that death is a natural conclusion to life, and that from death new life emerges. There is always life.

Yeah thats tuff even when not immortal but people survive quite well an continue on wit life.!!!

Kinda like when people have a hart transplant to extend ther life... woud you take a pill that woud eliminate a disease (wit no bad side effects) which woud allow you to live 50 more years than you woud have otherwise.???

Woud you like to accept immorality as long as you have the option to die when you choose.???
That should be a better choice. I am ready. :)

Back