If you were wrongfully convicted of murder

If wrongfully convicted of murder, I would prefer

• Total voters
I would choose a life sentece. I would write books on how to NOT be in the wrong place at the wrong time so you don't end up like me.

I wonder what prisoners in a life sentence do for the time that they are in there.

I'd want to be killed, although I know my family and friends would prefer life in prison for me. Personally, I could not spend over sixty years confined in prison; it seems like something that would drive me insane.

Side note: if this thread was started to show how the death penalty is faulty in these circumstances, then don't bother. It is evident that every avid death penalty supporter would only call for the death penalty if the convicted murderer was proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

If I didn't really commit it....I guess life sentence, but if i did kill someone, i guess the death penalty.

I'd want to be killed, although I know my family and friends would prefer life in prison for me. Personally, I could not spend over sixty years confined in prison; it seems like something that would drive me insane.

Side note: if this thread was started to show how the death penalty is faulty in these circumstances, then don't bother. It is evident that every avid death penalty supporter would only call for the death penalty if the convicted murderer was proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Ditto.

What part of wrongfully convicted is ambiguous?

Cosmic, you are an idiot, SAM was pretty clear on the subject. If you can't imagine the situatuion, just don't answer the question, but stop littering the thread.

I know how SAM likes to word her posts so that there isn't but one way to answer it. I only choose to take another view about what she asked that was a different way of looking at it. I'm never going to give answers that everyone wants to hear but by golly gee I'm going to give them. :itold::soapbox:

I know how SAM likes to word her posts so that there isn't but one way to answer it. I only choose to take another view about what she asked that was a different way of looking at it. I'm never going to give answers that everyone wants to hear but by golly gee I'm going to give them. :itold::soapbox:

suppose you were holding a knife. It fell with your hand due to a sudden tilt in the axis of the earth. This had an unfortunate consequence of changing your center of gravity such that your hand moved downwards with the knife. At the other end of your momentum, there was a soft organism. The knife met the organism due to this unfortunate movement of your gravitational center such that the organism was mortally wounded and bled out.

Would you prefer to exist in a limbo state of denial for 60 years or would you prefer to be released from earthy obligations and confess to your maker?

Is that better?:bugeye:

What part of wrongfully convicted is ambiguous?

Did I not answer your question? If I was wrongfully convicted, I would rather die than spend approximately six/seven decades in prison (after doing everything in my power to overturn the decision). I also added that if this thread was intended as a cheapshot to death penalty supporters, then you've failed to convince anyone. Any ambiguity in this?

Kadark said:

• • •​

I also added that if this thread was intended as a cheapshot to death penalty supporters, then you've failed to convince anyone.

You have a point, Kadark. Avid homicide advocates generally aren't dissuaded by things like truth or dignity. Apparently it's so important to them that they reserve the right to kill other people that they would be let themselves be murdered to prove their point.

I'm not sure avid is a strong enough word in that case.

Did I not answer your question? If I was wrongfully convicted, I would rather die than spend approximately six/seven decades in prison (after doing everything in my power to overturn the decision). I also added that if this thread was intended as a cheapshot to death penalty supporters, then you've failed to convince anyone. Any ambiguity in this?

If you stay alive you can prove your innocence, it has happened before. I see what you mean though, what is wrong with the death penalty? At some point your actions forfeit the right to live, so what?

suppose you were holding a knife. It fell with your hand due to a sudden tilt in the axis of the earth. This had an unfortunate consequence of changing your center of gravity such that your hand moved downwards with the knife. At the other end of your momentum, there was a soft organism. The knife met the organism due to this unfortunate movement of your gravitational center such that the organism was mortally wounded and bled out.

Would you prefer to exist in a limbo state of denial for 60 years or would you prefer to be released from earthy obligations and confess to your maker?

Is that better?:bugeye:

How about a real life scenario that I posted which no one commented on. This man murdered a child because he was angry at someone else. The fact is he MURDERED someone intentionally by setting a apartment building on fire. He knew people lived there and wanted to only kill someone he just didn't kill the right person. Now he is free on a technicality yet the little girl is dead. If he were to have been executed when he was found guilty this travesty of justice wouldn't of happened. I feel that in the future more cases such as this will be happening and then more criminals will be set free to do their bidding and prey upon the public once again.

From MSNBC:

"Prosecutors approved the deal after a federal appeals court determined Richey’s lawyers mishandled the case. The court overturned Richey’s conviction and death sentence last year.

Prosecutor Gary Lammers said the passage of time and the appeals court decision would have made it difficult to prove arson.

“We think it’s an appropriate resolution,” he said. “The fact that he served 21-and-a-half years in prison, I don’t think necessarily makes him a victim. If anything, it holds him accountable — if nothing else — for some of the things that he’s responsible for through this entire sordid case.”

Toddler's family livid over deal
Members of the Collins family glared at Richey during Monday’s court session.

Robert Collins, the father of the toddler who died, wishes his daughter “could appeal her death and come back to life,” according to a statement read by victim advocate Shelly Price.

“The situation surrounding the death of my little girl has haunted me for 21 years,” Collins’ said in his statement. “The unthinkable reality of her choking, crawling, crying, and her little lungs filling with smoke has been etched in my mind since her death. It’s an ongoing nightmare.

“I will never have closure now that the outcome has changed.”

Valerie Binkley, Cynthia’s aunt, told the judge she had prepared a six-page statement, but was too emotional to read it. She then turned to Richey and angrily pointed at him.

“I want you to know you fooled nobody — not me, not that baby, not any of these people,” she said. “You will fry in hell.”

Eh, I would prefer life imprisonment, You can appeal , see the people you love, be acquitted and live life again. If you say Death, you can never reverse that, don't you think that is just the easy way out, you should fight back.

Back