If you were wrongfully convicted of murder

If wrongfully convicted of murder, I would prefer

• Total voters

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
Imagine that circumstances have placed you in a position where you have been convicted of murder.

You are given the choice.

Instant execution or life in prison.

what would you prefer?

Answer the poll.

edit: Freedom is NOT an option

/duh, thanks Enmos

Last edited:
I'd go with prison. You can be acquitted and let out of prison, death is kind of irreversible though.

Well it's a bit of an obvious choice....a life sentence can be over in a couple of decades, but more importantly lets you at least appeal the decision. You could be out in a couple of years if you can prove that you were wrongly convicted.

If you're dead you can't do that. Plus you're dead which can't be great.

I would rather not be convicted of murder in the first place, but if I was and there was no chance of getting out of prison. I would prefer a quick drop and a sudden stop to life in the slammer.

If I were convicted of murder and I actually did the crime, which I take it is what you are stating, then I wouldn't want solitary confinement for life, I'd rather be executed for the crime I committed. Sitting in a 10 foot cell , not seeing others and very little activity would lead me to suicide rather quickly. If I knew there was no other alternative nor appeal to reduce the sentence only.

what part of wrongfully convicted is ambiguous?

:D

But that's your problem no one is "wrongfully" convicted of murder that actually did it. That is why I said that if i actually did the crime not that IF I did the crime like you say.

I'm asking IF you did not commit the murder but were convicted anyway, what would you prefer?

I'm asking IF you did not commit the murder but were convicted anyway, what would you prefer?

This is hypothetical BS. There is only one answer that anyone with common sense would answer to. No one would want to be kiled for something they didn't do and the way you have worded this question there really cannot be any other answer.

This is hypothetical BS. There is only one answer that anyone with common sense would answer to. No one would want to be kiled for something they didn't do and the way you have worded this question there really cannot be any other answer.

Its an offshoot from the capital punishment thread, where it was suggested that innocently convicted people would be better off executed rather than languish and suffer in prison.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1703918&postcount=295

Which makes me wonder how many people would consider that if they were in the unenviable position of being wrongfully convicted. So far there has been one.

So far there has been one.

There's been more than one that I know about. But that doesn't mean that the other 98 weren't guilty of their crimes and were given the proper execution were they?

Is it a capital crime to strangle attention -seeking cats ?

I would vote for life

Freed from death row, Scotsman to fly home
Plea deal over fire that killed toddler makes way for release after 20 years

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22554450/

Prosecutors approved the deal after a federal appeals court determined Richey’s lawyers mishandled the case. The court overturned Richey’s conviction and death sentence last year.

Prosecutor Gary Lammers said the passage of time and the appeals court decision would have made it difficult to prove arson.

“We think it’s an appropriate resolution,” he said. “The fact that he served 21-and-a-half years in prison, I don’t think necessarily makes him a victim. If anything, it holds him accountable — if nothing else — for some of the things that he’s responsible for through this entire sordid case.”

Toddler's family livid over deal
Members of the Collins family glared at Richey during Monday’s court session.

Robert Collins, the father of the toddler who died, wishes his daughter “could appeal her death and come back to life,” according to a statement read by victim advocate Shelly Price.

“The situation surrounding the death of my little girl has haunted me for 21 years,” Collins’ said in his statement. “The unthinkable reality of her choking, crawling, crying, and her little lungs filling with smoke has been etched in my mind since her death. It’s an ongoing nightmare.

“I will never have closure now that the outcome has changed.”

Valerie Binkley, Cynthia’s aunt, told the judge she had prepared a six-page statement, but was too emotional to read it. She then turned to Richey and angrily pointed at him.

“I want you to know you fooled nobody — not me, not that baby, not any of these people,” she said. “You will fry in hell.”

Richey had been convicted of charges accusing him of setting a fire at the Columbus Grove apartment complex in June 1986 to get even with his former girlfriend, who lived in the same building as the child who died

A life sentence. I'd never prefer death to anything, I'm not suicidal.

Wait until you pass a kidneystone and you might change your mind. :)

Cosmic, you are an idiot, SAM was pretty clear on the subject. If you can't imagine the situatuion, just don't answer the question, but stop littering the thread.
For me it depends on the prison. If it is a nice federal prison where I can have a TV and this or that, I would go for life, but if it is a stateprison where Bubba is going to rape me twice a week, hell, give me the chair!!!

Mod Note: Syz, you've already mucked up one topic about capital punishment calling people names and generally making your own argument seem foolish. Stop. Now. Got it? Good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back