If the devil came to you and tell you to be good, would you?

Bob the Unbeliever said:
If I saw the "devil" I'd wait 24 hours for whatever medication I had taken to wear off, before deciding on any change or course of action ...

If I saw him again, I'd seriously consider seeking professional medical help, due to my (now) reoccurring hallucinations ...

As for what he'd "said" I may or may not examine it closely, as it would have no doubt come from my deep subconscious ...
At first, I thought yours the most 'socially realistic' answer.
Then I wondered why the 'audio' can be considered of value to cogitate upon as it came from your 'deep subconscious' yet you discount the 'video' as a simple hallucination or 'drug reaction'. Wouldn't your 'devil' also be generated from the same 'depths'?
Perhaps 'He' aught to be 'examined closely' also?

This is a moot question, not only because there is no devil, but also because that goes against the nature of the (Christian?) devil. But I suppose I should answer the question anyway, since it is hypothetical.

Assuming I wasn't halucinating and the devil really came to me, I would do what he told me if what he told me was good. The advice, not the giver thereof, is the only thing worth considering.

identityless said:
Let's say the devil pop-up out of nowhere and face you one and one. He looks like the devil, in ghostly form, horns, hoof, and a giant fork. He advise you to treat people kindly, love your enemies, and spread happiness and peace to all. After that, he dissappears with an evil smile in thin air.

Would you take the devil advice even if it's a good one?

I've been waiting to see this one!

It's the dilemma of whether one has autonomous morality, or not.
The more common form is when someone wants to do something because he himself wants to do it, but refuses to do it once someone else makes this same suggestion to him -- for he "Doesn't want to bow to what others suggest".

Like the example with the smoker who wishes to give up smoking -- but keeps on smoking (even though he wants to quit!) once other people advise him to quit.

Namely, for such a smoker, what other people say holds higher priority than what he himself thinks right or values most,
and so to retain his sense of integrity, he does something contrary to what he first wanted (that is, he keeps smoking)
-- as opposing others gives him a sense of autonomy.
Even if this opposition entails self-harm or going against what he actually values.

Wouldn't it be much funner if Jesus came down, beard, robes, and all and told you that the New Testament had it all wrong and that the meek would not inherit the earth; only the fittest would be rewarded and petty ideas of kindness and harmony were aginst human nature?

Then what do we do?

Hopefully they'd just obey the law...
There are some religions that are violent though and that doesn't stop the people from following it.

Back