If the devil came to you and tell you to be good, would you?

identityless

Registered Senior Member
Let's say the devil pop-up out of nowhere and face you one and one. He looks like the devil, in ghostly form, horns, hoof, and a giant fork. He advise you to treat people kindly, love your enemies, and spread happiness and peace to all. After that, he dissappears with an evil smile in thin air.

Would you take the devil advice even if it's a good one?

Well, as this is how I try to live anyway, it would really make ZERO difference, I'd probably just be pleased he was trying to reform! Not that I believe in the Devil anyway!

Good advice is good advice regardless of who it comes from, if this an essay question that is your answer.

a much more interstinf way of exploring your question is to explore te origins of the concept of the devil

it is a patriarchal concept devises to split the individual psychology sos that they can control you better!!!!!!!!!!

a much more interstinf way of exploring your question is to explore te origins of the concept of the devil

it is a patriarchal concept devises to split the individual psychology sos that they can control you better!!!!!!!!!!

The devil was invented because every hero needs a supervillain, just as you need the shadow to see the light, etc.

The point to the original post was to see whether you would play to the reverse psychology of the devil, and do the opposite of his advice, or do as theoryofrelativity said and take good advice no matter who it comes from.

identityless said:
Let's say the devil pop-up out of nowhere and face you one and one. He looks like the devil, in ghostly form, horns, hoof, and a giant fork. He advise you to treat people kindly, love your enemies, and spread happiness and peace to all. After that, he dissappears with an evil smile in thin air.

Well that's pretty much what Jesus tells us to do, so yes I would listen to him. Since that's not going against God I mean...It's like the Devil going against himself. :confused:

identityless said:

no i wouldent listen to him, but if that exact situation actually happened, he wouldent have said all of that before bieng struck down,

that would shock me and cause an attack reflex.

peace.

That's the same function he serves now. God made him the punisher for evildoers, and so gave religious people a motivation to avoid evil deeds.

Secondly, if he appeared to me, I would have to believe it, but I'm a good boy anyway.

Last edited:
spidergoat said:
That's the same function he serves now. God made him the punisher for evildoers, and so gave religious people a motivation to avoid evil deeds.

That begs the question of whether the idea of a devil is actually motivation to avoid evil deeds. Would people avoid evil deeds anyway? Could there be a better motivation to avoid evil deeds? What deeds are evil? Etc.

A lot of questions would need to be answered to conclude that if there is a devil, that is his function.

Max

I have my own mind and wouldn't care much if something is said by some devil, demon, god, prophet, whatever, I am my god.

What an odd paradox...

In any case, no. Rather, I'd kill him, and watch the fun begin as hell descends into a series of coups, rebellions, and eventual reorganization as a federal republic. :D

If I saw the "devil" I'd wait 24 hours for whatever medication I had taken to wear off, before deciding on any change or course of action ...

If I saw him again, I'd seriously consider seeking professional medical help, due to my (now) reoccurring hallucinations ...

As for what he'd "said" I may or may not examine it closely, as it would have no doubt come from my deep subconscious ...

I think its a crap question myself, as I said before, good advice is good advice regardless of the source, if you have to think about whether to be good or not you maybe genuinely just aren't?

I'm sure he's just fucking with ya. Making you think about being bad to spite him.

He's a sly one.

i wouldent even think it was the devil, think about the scenario,

a demon thing brandishing a trident spear appears up in your face all of the sudden, thats freaky shit, i would attack then run, he wouldent get a chance to talk,

peace.

This is an interesting question.

I was reading up on existential philosophy yesterday where Kierkegaard addressed the paradox of God instructing Abraham to slaughter his son. Now, if reason were a factor, even if you were a theist, you would be suspicious of (and justified in rejecting) a voice claiming to be God if such was the mandate.

But according to the philosopher, the "subjectivity of truth" allows for faith, however unreasonable, to define in such singular contexts what the ethical standard is.

An idea is not responsible to the people who believe in it. Thus, if a devil came up with a good idea, it's still a good idea. If the antithesis of a devil (ie, god according to some) came up with a bad idea, it's still a bad idea.

identityless said:

But if the devil told you to be good, it would surely be by his definition, not by the definition of the angels...therefore his idea of good would be rape, robbery, murder, and selling your grandmother to the highest bidder. :D

spidergoat said:
You could always challenge him to a fiddling contest.

Or a dope smoking contest...

The Devil Went Down to Jamica

The Devil went to Jamaica. He was looking to sell some weed.
He was doing fine; they were standing in line.
It was excellent weed indeed.
When he came upon this young man who was likewise peddling pot
and the Devil slid down the beach to the kid and said "Boy let me tell you what...

I guess you kinda figured I'm a reeferhead of course,
and after all this time, I guess that I'm a connoisseur of sorts.
Now your stuff smells ok, but this could tranquilize a horse.
I'll bet a million in cash against your stash cuz I think mine's better than yours."
The boy said "My name's Johnny and you ain't smoked nothing yet.
One hit of this grass will kick your ass! You got yourself a bet."

Johnny roll a ball of hash and make sure it's the bomb
cuz the Devil's got the kind of stuff they smoked in Vietnam...
You'll get a million smackaroos in cash if you can cope,
but if you can't, the Devil gets your dope!

The Devil packed a bong with a little Acapulco Gold
and resin flew from his fingertips as he fired up his bowl.
He filled that chamber all the way and he took a mighty hit.
And as they passed it back and forth, it gave em both a coughing fit.

(cough, cough, cough...)

When the bowl was finished Johnny said "Hey man that stuff was great!
But fill your lungs with some of this and prepare to vegetate!"
Cannabis sativa, sweet Mary Jane.
The Devil's in the back yard, frying his brain.
Zig zag filled with the diggity dank
Hold on tight it'll hit you like a tank..

The Devil nodded off because he knew that he was stoned,
and he asked if he could buy an ounce of the stuff that Johnny owned.
Johnny said "Devil just come on back if you ever wanna catch a buzz...
I done told you once, you son of a bitch, mine's the best there ever was!"
And they fired up doobie one by one
They're not gonna stop till the bag is done
Green as a bullfrog, sticky as glue...
Granny do you get high? "Yes I do."

;)

Back