Ideal wOrld

the world would be ideal if everyone was...

• non existent

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • dreaming

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • dead

• christian

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • muslin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • jewish

• hinduist

• buddhist

• pagan

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • unable to talk

• not thinking about such things

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • atheist

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
yeah, my fault, forgot about myself

edit: request for a mod to please add :atheist: choice to the pool

...aware of the truth.

...able to live and follow their own ideals without judging others or being judged themselves.

...content with the concept of the freedom to do whatever you want to do as long as it doesn't negate the freedom of others being universal.

...a little more intelligent.

...a little less self absorbed.

...not human.

Sounds just like me, although I am undecided about the not human part.

Originally posted by Cris
Sounds just like me, although I am undecided about the not human part.

Well, in my experience, being human and the first five options seem far too often to be exclusive conditions.

I picked buddhist.
i just figured they are pretty harmless human beings so that would be the most ideal scenario out of all the options given.

A world full of dr lounatarians would be better though of course.

Originally posted by Saint
immortality and prosperity make up an ideal world.:D
immortality?! are you mad?
one word - O V E R P O P U L A T I O N

prosperity?
people would become lazy, not do anything, regression and degeneration

actually they would be two prime "evils"

Originally posted by Avatar
immortality?! are you mad?
one word - O V E R P O P U L A T I O N

prosperity?
people would become lazy, not do anything, regression and degeneration

actually they would be two prime "evils"

No offense, but your focus is too narrow. Immortality would lower the death rate, but there would still be one, and when we have actaully reached that stage, couldnt their be checks and balances to prevent over population? Nobody would leave the world overcrowded, or even let everyone become immortal, theres plenty of oppurtunites to prevent it. (not right now though, we're just barly out of the stone age still, our parasitic species us)

As to the original question, what would make the world ideal. Understanding, everyone has a different desire, and understanding of everyones differences would create a world that is ideal to live in.

Immortality would lower the death rate, but there would still be one,
sorry, but no
there wasn't specified the type of immortality
we have actaully reached that stage, couldnt their be checks and balances to prevent over population?
my original question is -> the world would be ideal if everyone was... [as of now!]
Nobody would leave the world overcrowded, or even let everyone become immortal
there wasn't anything mentioned about the ways of ackquiring immortality, so you must suppose that everyone is immortal
because the question is-> the world would be ideal if everyone was...

There can never be an ideal world for everyone and even if there could be, the (1) options you give us are hardly enough to idealise the billions of complex structures, which support our emotions, intelligence and mentality etc. that would have to be idealised first, in order to have an ideal whole.

I am big on day-dreaming, but even to think of such concepts, feels too much like wishing upon a star, because a) they are too complex b) impossible.

I would have given more options, but please see in what forum I have posted this thread.
the thread would be with no options if it was placed in psychology thread, but I had my reasons to post in in religion section

we could easily start another discussion in psychology and decide on the real ideal world :)
I would much enjoy it.
maybe you make the starting thread, so I am not accused of cross posting, although it wouldn't be such, because this thread is more or less religion tended

I believe you missed my point. I think it would be futile to attempt to decide on what would constitute an ideal world, because it is such an impossibility. Why bother?

A few years ago, when I was younger, less cynical and more idealistic, I would have loved to get my head round such concepts, especially with friends sitting around smoking and drinking ourselves into higher planes of consciousness (and unconsciousness), but although it was fun, ultimately we got nothing but half baked waffle sounding out through the small hours.

It seems that most grand ideas or 'the big questions', all seem to be surrounded by an impenetrable wall of rationality, which hides the answers in perpetuity. You can certainly give your brain a good work-out trying to suss them, but ultimately, if you don't leave them alone, they can just drive you crazy.

One of my latest insights, which I posted a while back and got no replies to, was the thought that what we consider as being logical in this earthly realm, actually becomes illogical when we try to apply it to certain things like god, the universe, infinity, etc. It's as though the ultimate questions to these concepts are unanswerable, because we are applying human logic and known laws of physics. And it got me to thinking, is logic all it's made out to be?

Most humans are peaceful, logical, rational people and yet they can never stop killing each other and they are ruining the planet for future generations, ensuring that disasters and diseases will flourish in their grandkids times. They fight and murder over ideologies and yet they are all hippocrites. They have Justice systems that are not just, that rely on printed, out of date words, that sells freedom to the highest bidders, regardless of guilt. All this and more and still, we are eradicating diseases and reaching for the stars, our intellect and compexity it seems, knows no bounds, except when we come to those biggies. I wonder if that's the way it always was. Maybe we got it wrong... developed the wrong side of the brain?

Mrs. Tablariddim--a woman of few words, says that individuals tend to idealise their own little world the best they can and that problems arise when others try to ruin it for them, which I think is a brilliant insight because you can see it happening from individuals, to family grooups, to small communities and even to nationalistic levels on occassion.

very right, very true
I think your wife has solved our case :)
all my respect to her

Back