I want sciforums to be hexadecimal

Fen

Registered Senior Member
It would be like this: An initial payment to show that I am not joking. A certain payment each month as long as there continue to be no decimal numbers in the various counts on the site (messages can use decimal). The presence of a single decimal number will kill the deal, and mean no further payments at all. The payments would be around a thousand dollars a month.

Nothing else will be required for the money. You may boot me and band me for being annoying still.

This would be for everyone. I would occasionally log on in new accounts to make sure that decimal is not being given as an option anywhere for users. I intend to FORCE users to use hexadecimal (unless they want to use something on their end to change this). And money will give me the ability to do this.

I knew it. People don't care about money anymore. I guess we're going back to bartering for services.

serious

I'm quite serious about this. As for the actual terms. I'd like to stay below ten thousand for a year. I'm thinking an initial payment, and a final payment after about six months if no decimal appears (with deductions for each decimal incident, depending on how quickly you address the decimal). The issue here is that you are using standard bb software, and will need to edit that. If you can't do that, then we don't have a deal.

I will not give you any money until you show that you can deliver a bb without decimal on it.

The issue here is that you are using standard bb software, and will need to edit that. If you can't do that, then we don't have a deal.

Well, I'm a computer <A HREF="http://www.xlife.org/">programmer</A> by trade, I cut my teeth doing PHP programming, and I've already modified the standard source code for this forum. So, it *can* be done, and quite easily at that.

I will not give you any money until you show that you can deliver a bb without decimal on it.

If you're "quite serious", you'd realize that no one is crazy enough to take you up on your offer without some initial deposit to assure your credibility.

Originally posted by Porfiry

Well, I'm a computer <A HREF="http://www.xlife.org/">programmer</A> by trade, I cut my teeth doing PHP programming, and I've already modified the standard source code for this forum. So, it *can* be done, and quite easily at that.

If you're "quite serious", you'd realize that no one is crazy enough to take you up on your offer without some initial deposit to assure your credibility.

Check you pm. And by the way, saying it can be done "easily" really hurt your bargaining position. :D

Allow me to qualify it, then. "Easy" is not the same as "trivial". By easy, I mean that it is not a difficult problem, but the implementation would require would require extensive changes to much of the code.

Also, I'm guessing you care less about the implementation and more about forcing several thousand users of this busy forum to use hexadecimal. Or am I wrong about your intentions?

Allow me to qualify it, then. "Easy" is not the same as "trivial". By easy, I mean that it is not a difficult problem, but the implementation would require would require extensive changes to much of the code.

Also, I'm guessing you care less about the implementation and more about forcing several thousand users of this busy forum to use hexadecimal. Or am I wrong about your intentions?

Why should I care about implementation? I'm paying you. You handle that. Yes, I want to force the users here to learn and understand hexadecimal. Is that any worse than blinking ads?

And by the way, I notice you are moderator of this. If you delete this post or even move it, I will assume you are very rich. If I am giving you money, I demand respect.

Money will buy you all the respect you desire.

...and I'm not just the "Moderator", I run this site. I hope that was clear.

Money will buy you all the respect you desire.

...and I'm not just the "Moderator", I run this site. I hope that was clear.

Thank you. Yes I know you run the site. I hope we can work out a deal and I can help you keep this site running.

If Fen is on the level, I think Porfiry deserves every oppurtunity to receive financial considerations for the support of sciforums.

Oh, I see a financing possibility coming up. Since Porfiry is the only one who can bring this about, his bargaining position is absolutely tops. Fen, all you have to think about is, what is this worth to you: 3E8 bucks? 1388 bucks? 2710 bucks?

Why do you want hex, btw? Whats wrong with octal??

Hans

Originally posted by Fen

A certain payment each month as long as there continue to be no decimal numbers in the various counts on the site (messages can use decimal). The presence of a single decimal number will kill the deal...
What about the digits 0 to 9? They appear in both decimal and hexadecimal systems. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Back