I need info on Bermuda Triangle!!

hP18

Registered Member
I'm doing a huge paper on the Bermuda Triangle, and I need to know about the magnetic feild theory. Is that why the plane's and ship's compasses go crazy when they enter the triangle? Is that why the planes have inability to maintain altitude? I need some kind of theory that almost logically explains the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle, or a theory that is convincing enough to persuade my teacher that i know what im talking about! i would really appreciate your help, thanks! :) -Hannah

In that case, show your teacher you did some real research, and found that there
is nothing anomolous about the disappearances in that area. She'll be impressed.

A previous discussion.

:m: Peace.

What separates the so-called Bermuda Triangle from the rest of the world's oceans and seas? The volume of traffic by boats and planes.

The Carribean has been a prime location for agriculture and trade since it was first visited. The weather is usually ideal year round compared to northern climates where the cold winters make shipping uncomfortable to say the least, but hazardous as a matter of course. The occasional squalls and storms of the Carribean can be unpredictable and cause ships to sink, planes to go down.

Add this to the increased traffic and what you would expect is increased loss of ships, planes and lives compared to less-trafficed regions. Add to this the already, well-documented superstitious nature of sailors.... well, you see the point.

Impress your teacher like Goofyfish said, giver her/him some real data. Don't settle for what the speculative and new age books tell you.

hP18 said:
I'm doing a huge paper on the Bermuda Triangle, and I need to know about the magnetic feild theory. Is that why the plane's and ship's compasses go crazy when they enter the triangle? Is that why the planes have inability to maintain altitude?

Some scientists have theorized that the anomaly could be caused by a large volume of Methane gas being released form below the subsurface in the region. The gas would displace the water sinking ships. Methane gas is lighter than air, an Airplane would loose lift and crash. Also when a large amount of Methane gas rises through the atmosphere it creates static electricity this would disrupt electromagnetic instrumentation.

Some Scientists are?

I heard a story the other day of somewhere else in the world thats near the equator, near enough the opposite site of the earth to the Bermuda triangle, I think. It was suggested that you couldn't pull out a compass and find your way on the island because of how neither north or south pole was strongest in field, creating a gravitation sweet spot. It was suggested alot of weird occurances occured on that particular island. (Wish I could remember the name of the island, I just remember it was translated as something like "the Isle of the Spirits")

It could be suggested occasionally the gravity is shifted by a molten magma flow that shifts is alignment beneath the crust of the earth. Some of the earths magnetic field is set by the crust cooling to it's solid state while the molten flow below alters, this is what causes some of the seizmic activity and tectonics.

The earths magnetic pole actually shifts:
http://www.geolab.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/northpole_e.shtml

Up to you to look into it further.

Stryderunknown said:
Some Scientists are?

English marine geologist Alan Judd (Ebersole, 2001):

How could methane sink a boat? In order for a boat to stay afloat, it must displace, or push outward, a mass of water that is equal to its own mass. A stone sinks because it cannot displace water equal to its concentrated mass. A plume of methane gas bubbles rising under a boat would make the water around the boat less dense by turning it to foam. The boat would no longer be able to displace enough water to stay afloat and would drop like a stone. The sensation, to a sailor caught in such a situation "would feel like being on an elevator going down" said Judd.

The first time I saw this suggested, however, was in an article in the journal Science (Appenzeller, 1991:1792). The article mentioned an "unnamed petroleum geologist" who suggested that "pulses of gas released from hydrate layers might explain the loss of ships and planes in the Bermuda Triangle." The idea met with a certain amount of scoff at the time, but it appears to be gaining in credance.

Either way, the article in Science provides some very intersting facts on methane hydrate deposits of the southeast coast of the United States and the article from Current Science is short, but interesting on the topic of the North Sea's "Witchground."

Bruce Denardo at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California is also researching the idea that methane releases can sink ships (Marchant, 2001) and conducted a test of the hypothesis in a closed system of a laboratory. They found that the floated object would float until the bubbles were switched on. Denardo's working hypothesis is that the upward drag of rising bubbles would provide lift rather than create situation for sinking. He cites his test as inconclusive so far since it was conducted in a closed environment (a glass beaker) and doesn't allow for the formation of currents.

Denardo apparently has an article in American Journal of Physics (vol 69, p 1064), which I haven't seen, but there's also a news bit in New Scientist (Marchant, 2001) where I got this info.

@ Hannah: I'm just curious, what do you consider "huge" in regards to the length of your paper? In what's been posted so far, you have some good working material for about 8 - 10 pages and already a few citations for your bibliography. Your school library should have access to the journals and magazines (New Scientist), if not, let us know.... I can get you scans in .pdf for Acrobat Reader. There's only a few pertinent pages.

I'd also suggest getting a hold of one or two of the popular pseudoscience/speculative books and contrasting the reasoned arguments presented in this thread so far with the speculative arguments of people like Berlitz, Daniken, and Graham Hancock.

This is certainly a viable and interesting topic for a Pseudoscience forum.

Sources

Appenzeller, Tim (Jun. 28, 1991). Fire and Ice Under the Deep-Sea Floor. Science, New Series, Vol. 252, No. 5014. , pp. 1790-1792.

Ebersole, Rene (11/9/2001) Bubble Trouble Current Science, Vol. 87, Issue 6, pp. 10-11.

Marchant, Joanna (Sept. 29, 2001). Archimedes may hold the key to the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle. New Scientist, Vol. 171 Issue 2310, p12

Last edited:
The Discovery Channel (Science Channel?) ran a documentary on the Bermuda Triangle, a newer program which included an experiment with the methane theory.
They placed a model ship in a long aquarium with pipes running across the inside
bottom of the aquarium to emitt the methane gas. The model ship sank. The methane
reduces the specific weight of the water, causing the ship to sink because the water
is less buoyant. Fresh water is less buoyant than salt water, warm water is less buoyant than cold water and gasoline, for instance, is much less buoyant than water.
If a large amount of methane gas were released under the ship as many small bubbles,
it could cause the ship to sink. I have my doubts about methane gas causing an
airplane to fall from the sky, though. It would take a huge amount of gas reaching
from almost the oceans surface all the way up to the airplanes altitude, and wide
enough that the plane couldn't fly through it before it lost enough altitude to crash.

>>>>..... you couldn't pull out a compass and find your way on the island because of how neither north or south pole was strongest in field, creating a gravitation sweet spot.

what have the magnetic poles to do with gravity?

i find it funny that some posters here are so intent on the pseudoscience bent when real science is so much more interesting. i put it down to the fact that to understand real science takes effort. not that i understand real science mind you. but i try.

Same here Boris. Learn real science, and it's applicable in every day life, from wiring plugs, or fixing your plumbing, etc.

I can't see how reading about alien conspiracies is going to ease my path through life.

2inquisitive said:
The Discovery Channel (Science Channel?) ran a documentary on the Bermuda Triangle, a newer program which included an experiment with the methane theory.
They placed a model ship in a long aquarium with pipes running across the inside
bottom of the aquarium to emitt the methane gas. The model ship sank. The methane
reduces the specific weight of the water, causing the ship to sink because the water
is less buoyant. Fresh water is less buoyant than salt water, warm water is less buoyant than cold water and gasoline, for instance, is much less buoyant than water.
If a large amount of methane gas were released under the ship as many small bubbles,
it could cause the ship to sink. I have my doubts about methane gas causing an
airplane to fall from the sky, though. It would take a huge amount of gas reaching
from almost the oceans surface all the way up to the airplanes altitude, and wide
enough that the plane couldn't fly through it before it lost enough altitude to crash.

They did a similar experiment in the sea, using a large speedboat, it did indeed sink eventualy!!!! :)

Starman said:

Some scientists have theorized that the anomaly could be caused by a large volume of Methane gas being released form below the subsurface in the region.

The primary difficulty with that theory, as far as I know, is that we should see even more ships lost in the Gulf of Mexico, where there's scads of methane hydrate. I picked that up from Discovery Channel a few years ago; I'm searching for a web-based source for that.

Other Notes

The USGS actually has a short page on the triangle.

I'm looking for a map I saw once plotting the locations of ships lost in the western Atlantic. If you isolate the Triangle itself, yes, the result looks impressive. But if you include the rest of the western Atlantic, the Triangle almost disappears entirely.

Actually that Scientist can't really be credited as discovering the method of potentially sinking things, I'm sure that Hollywood stuntmen have for years utilised the creation of bubbles for High Falls, the bubbles break the surface tension of the water so it's not like hitting the pavement, of course the right volume of water has to be jumped into otherwise they could hit the bottom with velocity.

In fact the same highfall jumps that are done around the world from cliff surfaces could also be down to the fact that the cliffs break the water surface tension.

As for how the Poles effect gravity. The poles to my knowledge are generated by molten magma, which is like this from the spin of the earth. The outer layers have cooled slowly over millions of years and as they cool their Polar state is in relationship to the magnetic pole derived from the spin. This means as time goes on the poles become more and more stabilised by the outer layers because their permanent position helps define the dynamic positioning of the molten magma. (positioning refers to Magnetic polar positioning)

When there is a shift in the Magma pole, it can occasion cause a reaction with the permanent positioned layers which causes some of the tectonics. (Other shifts are caused by the alterations in tectonics, where one landplate alters the flow of the magma causing earthquakes and erruptions)

You need a possible truth? Arthur C. Clark has studied this phenomenon>>

Methanhydrid, wich is in the seabottom is going up as gas bubbles by shockwaves or change in temperature. Ships and airplanes are going down in this turbulanced bubbled clouds.

:eek:

Last edited:
I am also doing a paper-acually a speech on the Bermuda Triangle-do you know of any web sites that "dispell" the entire Bermuda Triangle Theory- I need to speak on both sides of the forum- any info would be helpful-thank you

Thanks, I had already view that site- I am trying to explain (in my speech) why the actual missing planes and ships wreckage have never been recovered-I can understand the theory of the traffic in those areas being higher-but why are the bodies or the wreckage never recovered? Any in put?

What leads you to believe that the rate of recovery per incident is any different than in other places of the ocean? It could very well be that the rate of recovery is higher than in, say, the North Pacific, where waters are cold and treacherous.

Back