"I Don't Know"

Your welcome.

FYI, I'm taking advantage of a Jedi mind trick which speach writers often use. The mind likes semantic symmetry so about any sentence with that structure is going to be pleasing, particularly if it is reversed in order.

The only honest answer is to answer honestly.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.
Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
You don't give to get, you get to give.
Though I disagree with number two strongly and three and four to some degree, despite whatever desire my mind may have for symmetry.

I think that those who do not recognize there are many things we don’t understand are deluded fools – therefore I do not trust their judgment.
I think that those who claim to know what lies behind these unknown phenomena are either bigger fools or liars – therefore I don’t trust their judgment.

What is it about people that makes them too scared to admit, “I don’t know”?

Why must people either invent Gods (with very specific agendas, ideas and ideals) or invent “supernatural” ideas about psychic phenomena, ghosts, spirits, etc or deny any of this exists and insist that there are perfectly naturalistic, tangible, explanations which science fully understands?

Person 1: My mother called me and told me she had a dream that my brother was in trouble and when she woke up she tried to call him, and his wife said he was in the hospital.
Person 2: There must be a physical explanation. Maybe she always has these dreams, but she/you only remember them when she is right. Maybe it is a coincidence. Maybe she forgot that she talked to his wife that night before going to sleep. Whatever it is, there MUST be a simple explanation.
Person 3: Your Mom is a psychic! It is a connection of souls through the higher plane of existence. His soul cried out to her soul across the plane.
Person 4: God sent your guardian angel to her to tell her what you were doing – she just can’t always hear it, but when you are asleep, your analytical mind is not aware, so you don’t block out these things that you were taught do not exist.

What is wrong with admitting it is simply something we simply do not (or do not yet) understand?
Or, at least, "I don't know, but here is one possibility..."
In my eyes, there is no difference between the believer who makes claims about what is behind these things and the scientist who makes claims that they couldn't possibly exist - both are deluded fools trying to grasp onto some pre-defined view of the world and unwilling to investigate evidence without bias.

"God exists, and this is what he thinks" is the same as "God does not and can not exist" - though I do acknowledge that the former is a more dangerous weapon, because fools will always follow those who claim they know.

The only honest answer is, "I don't know."

Agreed. I hope, I do say as much as I think I do, when I feel necessary.

I also think people looks at it as some sort of 'weakness'. It's not something limited to a forum. You can also live it in very simple daily situations.

Back