Hurricane Beryl

exchemist

Valued Senior Member
Apparently the earliest category 5 hurricane in the season for a century, with a likelihood of more and stronger ones to come. This is the kind of thing predicted by climate change modelling. And yet we still have people like sculptor who pretend it’s all to do with the sunspot cycle, or else take refuge, ostrichlike, in cod-frontiersman stuff, expressed in suddenly demotic language, about their “yard”, planting trees and shit. :rolleyes:

Apparently the earliest category 5 hurricane in the season for a century, with a likelihood of more and stronger ones to come. This is the kind of thing predicted by climate change modelling. And yet we still have people like sculptor who pretend it’s all to do with the sunspot cycle, or else take refuge, ostrichlike, in cod-frontiersman stuff, expressed in suddenly demotic language, about their “yard”, planting trees and shit. :rolleyes:
Ironically, on another board, a climate change denier was crowing about how 2024 saw the latest start of the hurricane season ever, and therefore it was proof there was no climate change . . . .

Sometimes I imagine sculptor going out in a monster truck and tearing up the countryside, then rushing home, planting a few trees, and patting himself on the back: "All better now--still carbon neutral!"

Sometimes I imagine sculptor going out in a monster truck and tearing up the countryside, then rushing home, planting a few trees, and patting himself on the back: "All better now--still carbon neutral!"
Somewhere up the East Coast, I came across a "Think Green" bumper sticker - stuck to the back of an ancient gas-guzzling Jeep.

Somewhere up the East Coast, I came across a "Think Green" bumper sticker - stuck to the back of an ancient gas-guzzling Jeep.
To be fair, I am advised that it is greener to run an old vehicle into the ground than to replace it, due to the emissions involved in manufacture of new vehicles being so large compared to those from operation. On that basis I am continuing to run my 20r old petrol VW Golf as long as possible, before investing an electric vehicle, which is what I plan to do when it conks out. Cradle-to-grave analysis can yield results that are not immediately obvious.

Luckily, your VW was made before the Emissions Scandal of 2015, or I'd have ro unfriend you.

I will never buy VW because of that.
That applied to diesels. My car has an efficient 1.4l petrol engine with both a turbocharger and a supercharger, giving the performance of a 1.8l but with better fuel economy and diesel-like flexibility. It’s the sort of complicated engine I would only buy from a German. The Germans can really build engines. It has never gone wrong - I bought it when it was 4yrs old. Windscreen wipers are crap, though.

Back