Human Evolution

An infinite number of creatures spanning millions of years, and only man has evolved intellectually.
As others have said, humans aren't the only ones who possess intelligence. STRIKE ONE!

Evolution alone does not create intellectual capacity – regardless of the time involved.
A bold assertion, yet not support evidence. Hence, no cigar.
STRIKE TWO!

Humans have been shepherded - genetically altered at keys points – along their evolutionary journey, to enhance their intellect.
Once again, no supporting evidence.
Perhaps you could explain why the 'shepherd' gave us a gene to produce vitamin C, but then strangely broke it so that it is useless.
STRIKE THREE!

Quite simply, the post is conjecture with no supporting evidence. Nothing new from an IDist.

I really must insist: Intelligence is very impressive to use, but does not necessarily exhibit a survival advantage. One must look at the situation at the gentitic level before jumping to the most impressive conclusion.

brerlee said:
Perhaps the DNA mechanism is "too good" of a mechanism to be accidental? Don't you also think that "evolution" seems to work too well?

Perhaps it is as good as it needs to be, in order for life not to get extinct in early stages. Perhaps the start of life on planets is not so rare, but for it to evolve to a so good mechanism as DNA is, is rare. Perhaps there were other mechanisms on young earth too, but the DNA model was the only one that survived. Perhaps DNA is the result of a natural choice of the mechanisms of life. Product of the evolution of mechanisms of life.

If DNA were perfect, there could be no evolution. And besides, a system that didn't work very well wouldn't have survived very long, so thinking it's "too good" to be accidental is kind of a logical fallacy.

BlueUK,
Doesn't the rapid success of humans compared to other animals mean that intelligence exhibits a survival advantage? Who would survive longer in the Amazon jungle, a strong retard, or a smart biologist?

Actually, coming upon this thread was kind of a funny coincidence. I was just thinking about AIDS as it applies to human intelligence and how intelligence can actually be a liability, evolutionarily speaking. Think about it - a virus like HIV was almost primed to enter the population. We, at least those of us in the developed world, live WELL past our reproductive span. If women stop reproducing at ~40 years, there is no reason why, in terms of evolution, they should continue living (or, to a lesser extent, men, due to reduced sperm counts). If a sexually transmitted disease comes along that has a latency of 10 years, it cannot really be said to lessen reproductive fitness to a great extent. Primates have probably been living with SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus) for centuries, at least, and it is not considered an epidemic among them, because, even with the virus, they live to reproduce.

Essentially what we are doing right now, with our artificially prolonged lifespans due to "intelligence," is waving our arms and acting as bait in front of the tigers of the microbial world. Microbes that drastically reduce the reproductive fitness of their hosts will eventually die out. However, those that can turn their hosts into vectors (agents that will transfer the disease), without killing the hosts for years (like HIV) will not only survive but thrive. With an increasing percentage of the human race living beyond its reproductive lifespan, we are only asking for diseases like AIDS to visit themselves upon us - more so, because the most part of the human race lives in such tight quarters. At the incredibly inflated population number that we're at right now, microbes could take down 99.5% of all humans and still be evolutionarily successful as long as they didn't overtly kill the 33 million people that remained.

Fittingly, also to take into consideration is the artificially inflated size of the human population - Earth should not have been able to support more than 50-200 million human beings and yet there are almost 6.5 BILLION of us. Take a look at deer for an example of where our "intelligence" is taking us - they eat their way out of house and home in suburban areas with no natural predators, and succumb to starvation and disease. Can any rational person, looking at what we are doing to the environment, deny the fact that we are acting like deer with a food/energy supply that is way out of line with what nature usually provides?

I really must submit that any "shepherd" that visited "intelligence" upon us was only looking for an audience that could appreciate the irony of His joke.

P.S. - In terms of the original idea of this thread, I really would like to see a raise of hands indicating confidence in the survival of the human race beyond 1 million years (given the increasing omnipresence of nuclear, and other, probably more dangerous, weapons) let alone the 200 million years of the "unintelligent" crocodile.

Last edited:
Addendum

fo3 said:
Perhaps there were other mechanisms on young earth too, but the DNA model was the only one that survived
Absolutely right! We know that before DNA, the genetic material was RNA, and before that, simpler molecules were used to transmit genetic information. Like humans and other animals, everything on earth, in the galaxy, in the universe, etc. is subject to natural selection, although it may not be apparent. DNA is the most effective carrier of genetic information, so it stayed once it happened to be made and was used. DNA is one atom different from RNA, so evolutionarily, it should not take too long for it to come along.
If DNA were perfect, there could be no evolution.
spidergoat said:
And besides, a system that didn't work very well wouldn't have survived very long, so thinking it's "too good" to be accidental is kind of a logical fallacy.
Systems that didnt work in the past don't just go out of style. Evolution is a continuum. There still remains more primitive metabolisms and genetic material on earth. The organisms that use these are fine with them, they, like the alligator, fall into their niche. We, as eukaryotes, were subjected to environmental stressors (need for large genomes) and DNA offered a better alternative, so once it formed due to a mutation or such, it stuck.
Roman said:
RNA may hold memory. They've extracted RNA from mice that have been trained to run a maze, then injected it into naive mice. The naive mice with the RNA injection did signifcantly better than the control in running the maze.

Scientists have taught planaria to avoid parts of a piece of glass (not an easy task, I hear), then ground up the planaria and fed them to other planaria. The new planaria avoided the same places.
First off, I cannot see one way in which any organism can somehow encode a memory into RNA. During the upregulation of genes that would encode for increased production of something like endorphins or whatever, the ability of the rats to simply run FASTER is the only variable that accounted for their enhanced performance. There is no thinkable way that RNA can encode a perceptual experience. If someone doesn't believe me, maybe a knowledge of general biology or neuroscience or biochemistry would help. The planaria reslt may be of the same consequence. What better source of nutrients for planaria could there be other than from planaria themselves? The assumption made in that experiment is absolutely ridiculous, if the experiment did in deed occur.
brerlee said:
Exactly what "science facts" are today considered "facts" have changed drastically from the recent past. Taxonomy has changed much from when I went to school, and at that time, the scientists "knew" their facts, but they keep changing them, year after year.
What scientists keep changing are not facts at all!!! Their systems of nomenclature have changed, yes, and the number of species they find in the world, of course. But scientists are continuously trying to find a way to 'fit in' all the information in the most sensible manner. Science itself is the means of identifying accurate data and making it fit together. Everything we see fits together perfectly, we just don't know how EVERYTHING fits. But we know MOST. Yes I know evolution is a theory, but it is not just a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a suggestion that is not verified. A THEORY is a generally accepted well-established and understood explanation for a process. It is the only way to describe what happened and has always been happening. A theory can NEVER EVER be PROVEN. They can be DISPROVEN, however. There are many theories that have been disproven, but evolution is the only theory of its kind that has NEVER BEEN DISPROVEN by a legitimate experiment.
brerlee said:
But, mutations are "accidental" (in frequency of occurrence) and most mutations are terminal (i.e. dead-end, for the species and the individual).
Yes, mutations are accidental, but thy are most necessary. Most mutations are not lethal, and if they are, there are many of other members of the population to survive. Even if they did all die out, there has been plenty of time for them to evolve again. Mutations in DNA for example, occur often in the human body. Many many times in each cell. If one base pair is copied wrong, then a similar amino acid will be encoded, not usually something completely different. This process is fast enough to provide for the chance of positive change, yet it is not usually lethal. Please try not to be completely ignorant of what most people consider common sense.

I hope this helps you guys

Last edited:
zyncod said:
If women stop reproducing at ~40 years, there is no reason why, in terms of evolution, they should continue living (or, to a lesser extent, men, due to reduced sperm counts).
Don't mothers care for their young for many years after birth? don't fathers supply food, ensuring the survival of their young? I can imagine how if the parents of children die immediately after birth, there would be absolutely no chance for survival of the child and therefore no genetic material would be passed on. Simple. Our increased lifespan has enabled us to perform tasks for our young, and grandchildren, that would ensure survival or contribute to increased "fitness."
zyncod said:
- Earth should not have been able to support more than 50-200 million human beings
Says who?

a_nabacus said:
There is no thinkable way that RNA can encode a perceptual experience. If someone doesn't believe me, maybe a knowledge of general biology or neuroscience or biochemistry would help. The planaria reslt may be of the same consequence. .... The assumption made in that experiment is absolutely ridiculous, if the experiment did in deed occur.
Because there is no thinkable way that RNA can encode memory does not negate the possibility. Anyway the presumed molecule was a peptide not RNA.
Perhaps if you had slightly more knowledge of general biology or neuroscience or biochemistry you would be familiar with the work of James V McConnell. Several experiments, by multiple experimenters were conducted, in different species.

I cannot say that I am the authority on the subject. I am merely a chemical engineering student with a background in neuroscience. I'll check that McConnell guy out. Thanks for the info. If this is true, there is something that neuroscientists have been overlooking for quite some time. I just thought there were simpler explanations for the phenomena (Occam's Razor, etc). By the way, proteins form as a direct result of their RNA template, so if NEW proteins are being formed, then it must have to do with DNA to RNA to protein encoding. maybe conformational states are an alternate hypothesis.

a nabacus, when you check on McConnell and the other allied researchers, you will find them fairly well discredited. I just thought you were being a touch to dismissive of the whole topic, since, for example, I was certain that the experiments had been carried out. He published a journal on the subject area for a time.....One suspects the normal peer review process may have been less rigorous than normal. Yet some of the refutations were apparently little better than the original claims. Intriguing.

Jocariah said:
Alligators, if memory serves me correctly, have existed by most counts for more than 200 million years. In all of that time, their intellect has not evolved. They exist now as they were, so many millions of years ago.

An infinite number of creatures spanning millions of years, and only man has evolved intellectually.

Evolution alone does not create intellectual capacity – regardless of the time involved.

Humans have been shepherded - genetically altered at keys points – along their evolutionary journey, to enhance their intellect.

The problem is, we are unaware of our shepherds.

Read "The 12th Planet" by Zecharia Sitchin and compare this to Genesis.

You will definitley become aware of your shepherds, perhaps more than you would be willing to assimilate at this instant. You do have the grounding in understanding furmly set as attested to by your hread opener and in that sense you have already turned the key and your furies are released.

The problem is not restricted to lack of awareness for included here is then what do you do about it?

mountainhare said:
As others have said, humans aren't the only ones who possess intelligence. STRIKE ONE!

A bold assertion, yet not support evidence. Hence, no cigar.
STRIKE TWO!

Once again, no supporting evidence.
Perhaps you could explain why the 'shepherd' gave us a gene to produce vitamin C, but then strangely broke it so that it is useless.
STRIKE THREE!

Quite simply, the post is conjecture with no supporting evidence. Nothing new from an IDist.
Mountainshare, would you include the Sumaian Texts in the "no supporting evidence catagory?" I refere in the acclerated social, economic, religious and politixcal development of the Sumerian Society , what 5000 tyears BC? Is all biblical writing the stuff of religeous propagandists?

How would you analyze the statement,
"Let us make man in our image."
What does this say, whether you believe a word of it or not?

Geistkiesel

Back