Human Evolution

Jocariah

Registered Senior Member
Alligators, if memory serves me correctly, have existed by most counts for more than 200 million years. In all of that time, their intellect has not evolved. They exist now as they were, so many millions of years ago.

An infinite number of creatures spanning millions of years, and only man has evolved intellectually.

Evolution alone does not create intellectual capacity – regardless of the time involved.

Humans have been shepherded - genetically altered at keys points – along their evolutionary journey, to enhance their intellect.

The problem is, we are unaware of our shepherds.

Jocariah said:
Alligators, if memory serves me correctly, have existed by most counts for more than 200 million years. In all of that time, their intellect has not evolved. They exist now as they were, so many millions of years ago.
An infinite number of creatures spanning millions of years, and only man has evolved intellectually.
That's just pure drenn. Alligators happen to have evolved to fill an ecological niche that they fit perfectly and that has not changed out from under them in all that time. They have not been subjected to the pressure of natural selection.

Other species that were also in existence at the time of the alligator were subject to that pressure of natural selection and they evolved greatly. Some of them evolved all the way into birds, all of which are far superior intellectually to alligators, and in fact to all reptiles. Others evolved into mammals, many of which are even more intelligent than almost all birds.

It's simply not true that only man has evolved intellectually. That's pure, arrogant anthropocentricity. The other apes are marvelously intelligent. They haven't developed civilization so they don't use their intelligence as assiduously as we do in their natural habitat, but it's there. We've seen both gorillas and chimpanzees master American Sign Language. How much closer do they have to get to us before you can crawl out from under your comfortable little shroud of befuddled wonder and admit that intelligence is a spectrum, not a binary thing that a species either has or does not have? Does an orangutan have to walk into your office and start typing on your word processor in language that you can understand, instead of language that only deaf people can understand?

We've seen Alex the African Grey, whose command of language is not yet as great as Koko and Washoe, but he has the P.R. advantage of speech organs. He's set a few anthropocentrics on their ears with his ability to describe objects in spoken English. And there's that dog that can't talk but can understand the meaning of one hundred different nouns.

Language is the primary indicator of intelligence. The gap on the intellectual spectrum between Koko the gorilla, who described the first zebra she saw as a "white tiger," and President Bush, who can't read a teleprompter or remember the punch line to a 300-year-old-joke that everyone he was speaking to knew by heart, is a pretty small gap.
Evolution alone does not create intellectual capacity – regardless of the time involved.
Yes it does. One of the vectors of evolution is pure chance. The laws of probability dictate that the distribution of systems that have advanced very far away from entropy will be much smaller than those that have developed less order. There's nothing mystical about the fact that this planet has only a few dozen species of animals with enough intelligence that we can communicate with them at a level more advanced than "come get dinner." Your casual dismissal of "the time involved" is the same cop-out that your entire community hides behind: the inability to grasp the full significance of time periods measured in hundreds of millions of years. That was long enough for the Earth to change from a ball of gas into a ball of lava surrounded by a thin crust of solidified lava, some liquid water, and an atmosphere rich in carbon dioxide waiting to nourish plants. Given that degree of change in inorganic systems, imagine what can happen in organic systems. Amoeba beget progressively more complex animals until primates show up. The changes in DNA sequences that represents is far more amazing than the truly miniscule difference in DNA between a chimpanzee and a human, or even the merely tiny difference between a human and a mouse. There's some awesome stuff in the evolutionary timeline, but it's at the other end. For an early ape to develop a modestly larger brain with a speech center isn't nearly as dramatic as a mollusc to develop into a warm-blooded, air-breathing animal with an internal skeleton and a placenta. And make no mistake, all evidence is converging on the speech center in our brain as the mechanism responsible for what we identify as our superior intelligence.
Humans have been shepherded - genetically altered at keys points – along their evolutionary journey, to enhance their intellect.
Statements like that belong in either the Paranormal forum or the Religion forum. We're scientists here and there just ain't no need to postulate no damn supernatural beings when perfectly unremarkable scientific causes explain the same things without requiring suspension of disbelief or cognitive dissonance.
The problem is, we are unaware of our shepherds.
No. The problem is, you do not understand how the laws of probability, the principle of entropy, and the concept of really huge numbers fit together to explain evolution.

There are no shepherds. That's a fairy tale for people who would rather believe in an utterly preposterous universe held together by faith in unrevealed secrets than do the hard work of progressing beyond fifth-grade science.

Jocariah said:

Thats like saying, of all the creatures alive today, only the giraffe has an exeptionally long neck. Therefore, evolution could not have given rise to it and a creator stepped in!

Why don't people think for themselves these days anymore? I remember Nasor said that a while back but it's perfectly true.

It's also fair to point out that for many organisms intelligence may not necessarily be a desirable trait from a genetic viewpoint, as there are costs as well as the obvious benefits.

Why don't people think for themselves these days anymore?

Funny you say that, what I just said was a complete plagerisation from an old biology lecturer! (Of course, I would say I understood it before parotting it).

yes, yes

that's all well 'n good, but what you are saying is all based on a 'theory' - a hypothesis.

Cheers

that's all well 'n good, but what you are saying is all based on a 'theory' - a hypothesis.

A theory? Last time I checked I would have sworn it was called genetics... You know that old 8th grade biology lecture where you played with the punnet squares and laughed at Mendel, remember?

Jocariah,

But aren’t your claims a theory as well, to be more exact a hypothesis lacking the evidence and experimentation to be called a theory?

Jocariah said:
...based on a 'theory'

I'd rather base my beliefs on a theory that I can see and understand than on a fairy-tale like intelligent design.

I'm being harsh, ID does have an argument - albeit less solid IMO.

But the original post is quite factually wrong in the examples given.

WellCooked is right, it all comes down to the definition of 'theory' here. Scientists and the public have different views on what a theory means.

To the public, a theory is no more than a hypothesis, an educated guess, as our friend shows here. To scientists, a theory is a hypothesis that has been tested and re-tested and has not been falsified statistically.

We have not been able to falsify evolution, which is why it is considered a theory. It's not some educated guess put forth with no evidence supporting it.

Jocariah said:
Alligators, if memory serves me correctly, have existed by most counts for more than 200 million years. In all of that time, their intellect has not evolved. They exist now as they were, so many millions of years ago....

That means that alligators are almost perfectly suited to their environment. Humans have been subject to rapid climactic change as the ancient forests disapeared to be replaced with savannah, so we were subject to greater evolutionary forces. The need to seek diverse food sources exposed us to higher levels of mutagens. Monkeys in general have to be more resourceful and intelligent in seeking food, because they are not particularly powerful, armored, or poisonous. Octopi evolved intelligence for the same reason. The disadvantage of intelligence is becoming more clear every day, widespread environmental damage, disease, warfare, and mass extinctions make our position on this planet ever more tenuous. On the whole, I think alligators are the superior life form, no intelligent creator would have come up with such a failure of a creature as a human.

Idle Mind said:
To scientists, a theory is a hypothesis that has been tested and re-tested and has not been falsified statistically.

As far as my experiance goes - I'm 22 and have studied the sciences since 14 - a hypothesis has always been an initial theory stated before an experiment. The hypothesis does not always have to reflect the scientist's point of view and often enough it's the opposite ("Null hypothesis"). It usually easier to disprove something statistically. For example, if you wanted to prove the effects of a growth hormone on plants you could say "Application of X has no effect on seedling growth hight". Then you'd say at the end something like, "With a certainly of p < 0.001 the null hypothesis was disproved" or whatever. where p is the prob of it happening by chance alone. I could go into more detail so pedants amoung you please don't nip at little bits.

Humans have gained our intelligence for the reason that we are generalized. We are not skill specific, really, besides our ability to manipulate. We can swim, run, jump, climb, but none better than any other creature that specializes in a single attribute. We use tools and animals to our advantage to suceed.

Don't believe me? Look at the monkey using a rock or "hammer" to break open a coconut.

Why should alligators evolve? Look where they live, let's take Florida for example. Florida's weather is constant do to it's geography. I think it's brash to say that alligators never evolved, I'm sure they did to some extent. So the constant weather in Florida, coupled with the alligators slow evolution do to minor climate changes, can lead to the alligator we have today. Natural Selection is exactly that, the environment is often the leading force.

So why not evolve intelligence? Simply because they do not need it. It has it's tools built into its self. It's sharp teeth to bite prey, it's strong tail to swim. It doesn't need a boat or knife to survive.

Evolution creates new species, it doesn't end old ones. That's what natural selection does.

Don't come into a science forum if you are trying to argue science over fairy tail.

The one question I ask which creationists usually can not answer, "Try to prove creationism without trying o debunk evolution". And don't use the Bible as a source. I can very well write an evolutionary picture pop-up book and call that fact too.

Wow. I assume that the original poster was "starting a discussion" by choosing to say what he said the way he said it.
Exactly what "science facts" are today considered "facts" have changed drastically from the recent past. Taxonomy has changed much from when I went to school, and at that time, the scientists "knew" their facts, but they keep changing them, year after year.
There may be something to that "shepherd" thing. The probability for all the things to happen just right for life to exist on a planet in the universe is very low. The possibility for it to occur twice (on two separate planets), or more, within one "bang event" is even lower. Is it not reasonable for intelligence to evolve on one planet and for it to populate other planets? It is astonishing to seeing how life has managed to survive the epochs of this earth and to quickly evolve within each epoch. Perhaps the DNA mechanism is "too good" of a mechanism to be accidental? Don't you also think that "evolution" seems to work too well? Evolution depends on mutations. But, mutations are "accidental" (in frequency of occurrence) and most mutations are terminal (i.e. dead-end, for the species and the individual). ... I just don't know for sure anymore ... I won't be surprised if in the near future they find a strong correlation between "racial memories" and the unused areas in the DNA. ... maybe the "future new mutations" are somehow, could be, pre-ordained by the unused areas of the DNA? ... Sounds like the stuff of science ficton, Egh?

brerlee said:
find a strong correlation between "racial memories" and the unused areas in the DNA

RNA may hold memory. They've extracted RNA from mice that have been trained to run a maze, then injected it into naive mice. The naive mice with the RNA injection did signifcantly better than the control in running the maze.

Scientists have taught planaria to avoid parts of a piece of glass (not an easy task, I hear), then ground up the planaria and fed them to other planaria. The new planaria avoided the same places.

I "heard" of the planaria experiment and I think I heard of the mice maze experiment (but my mind does play tricks on me), but that was like 30 years ago (in a general purpose psych book). Now-a-days I am more sceptical. I wonder how the scientists came to that conclusion? Is it perhaps similar to "4 out of 5 dentists prefer..." I expect that they made an "educated statistical inference" from their data of many, many experiments. I wonder how much better their "treated mice" ran the maze versus the "control group of mice"? I would not be surprised if those experiments are, erg, perhaps, a "little" suspect.... If their results were "good/practical", then, why isn't there a current program to inject RNA of senior college "4.0" students into freshman college students? I could make big bucks with that one! I know that some experiments that were run back then are now known to be invalid, e.g. some were run without a control group to compare their results, run with flawed procedures.

New Question: How is it that flawed eye-sight ("near-sightedness"/"far-sightedness") was not weened from the human gene pool by "natural selection"? After all, Humans evolved through the stages of hunter/hunted and those that didn't have good eye-sight would end up starved to death or as a meal. Even if all the genes that are responsible are all recessive, those tribes that had those genes would lose out to other tribes. After all, are there "near-sighted cheetahs"? Or, "near-sighted rabbits"?

Last edited:
I expect that they made an "educated statistical inference" from their data of many, many experiments.
I can assure you that they did, but statistics aren't as nefarious as you'd think them to be, unless they lied. Lots and lots of experiments would yield better results rather than a few, since a few could always be anomalous and you wouldn't know.

I've read that the number of myopic children has increased as we live more sedentry lifestyles. Something like eye strain from tv's and books and computer screens leads to damaged vision. Ever notice how the 'nerds' from now to 300 years ago (like Ben Franklin) are typically represented as wearing glasses? Perhaps the nerds read more, causing more eye damage.

I'm not sure if any of this is true, I'm just postulating. I wonder if Iceland, with a literacy rate of 100%, has a higher incidence of bad eyes.

I think the planaria thing is pretty well established. I never heard of the mouse thing. Do you have a link or a reference?

Regarding eyestrain, I think it's definitely true that constant near focusing ruins your eyes. It's spot on that bookworms always seem to be wearing glasses; but there are physiological and evolutionary arguments as well. You have to contract your ciliary muscle for near focus and relax it for far. Constant ciliary contraction only became necessary in the last few hundred years with the spread of literacy, so no wonder our ciliary muscles didn't evolve to handle it well.

But I think the spread of myopia is also due to the drop in selective pressure. Poor eyesight is no obstacle to having children these days, so it's hardly surprising that more children with bad eyes are coming into the world.

When I was a child, I heard an explanation that the curvature of the eyeball is different for people with poor eyesight and the curvature could get worse as the person gets older, but the "rate of getting worse" is supposed to lessen with age (for near-sighted?). Also, I think one of the two (far-sighted?) can actually get better as a person ages.

hypatia said:
But I think the spread of myopia is also due to the drop in selective pressure. Poor eyesight is no obstacle to having children these days, so it's hardly surprising that more children with bad eyes are coming into the world.

Its that scenario that I find puzzling. I agree that more children with bad eyesight can now be "born" and survive due to the gentler current conditions. But, those genes should already have been eliminated from the gene pool thousands of years ago by the process of natural selection. How come they are still around? And possibly increasing?

The current situation of modern man having "bad eyesight" genes sort of implies that the gene is/was re-introduced into the gene pool in modern times, or that gene is constantly being created by mutation?

Wouldn't either of those two possibilities be unlikely? And it is not just the "bad eyesight" gene of modern man that is puzzling, in current people, I see a lot of "bad genes" that should have been eliminated from the gene pool. Those bad genes cause a lot of "weaknesses", some of them physical and some mental (e.g. freezing under pressure, neurosis) . Were these bad genes created/mutated recently? There seems to be too many of these different bad genes in the modern-mankind gene pool for all of them (different bad genes) to be explained away as: They were created recently due to "natural mutation"!?

Reference for the mouse:
Barron's How to Prepare for the SAT II Biology E/M 13th Edition pg 126

If you take intellectual to mean culture, then you are wrong, chimpanzees have local cultures that involve tool using and grooming.

If you mean brain size in relation to body size, then you are still wrong. Most mammals have brains larger than they "need" compared to all vertebrates, mammals larger still, and primates even bigger.

Also, there have been other species of closely related primates other than man who also has enormous brains, but they are now extinct.

Back