Human Equity

Perhaps. I think that when prejudice is expressed online it tends to take a more extreme form. People don't tend to hold back on expressing themselves online - especially when they think they are anonymous.

Ah, so you don't think "The internet is a reflection of the wider society. In society there is sexual, racial, religious and many other types of prejudice."? ...which is a quote from your earlier post.

If the expressions are "a more extreme form", then how can you say that it's a "reflection of the wider society"?

Why don't you read what I actually write, instead of making stuff up?

A quote from James R:

"... The internet is a reflection of the wider society. In society there is sexual, racial, religious and many other types of prejudice. We get it here on sciforums too, just like everywhere else."

So, ...you're contradicting yourself from post to post. What gives, James? Is the sciforums a reflection of the wider society or is it a more extreme expression of that society?

Baron Max

Baron Max:

Max said:
If the expressions are "a more extreme form", then how can you say that it's a "reflection of the wider society"?

The fact that prejudice is expressed on the internet is a reflection of prejudice being expressed off the internet (i.e. in wider society).
The fact that expressions of prejudice on the internet can take a more extreme form than off the internet is a separate point.

Understand?

The fact that prejudice is expressed on the internet is a reflection of prejudice being expressed off the internet (i.e. in wider society).

The fact that expressions of prejudice on the internet can take a more extreme form than off the internet is a separate point.

No, those are exactly contradictory statements!

If the expressions on the Internet are more extreme, then it is NOT a reflection of the same prejudice expressed off the Internet ...it's MORE EXTREME!

Baron Max

So, Max, we disagree about the meaning of what I wrote.

Your cognitive dissonance is not my problem, Max.

Back