How true is Buddha?

death is not suffering - in fact after you die you no longer exist.. so how can you call it suffering!

because i love life so much that i want to continue living forever, therefore death is a suffering, a nightmare!

I never said these were my beliefs, just the Buddha's beliefs, and I don't have a strong understanding of what shaped these events. I will try and find out why Birth and Aging are suffering, and why the cycle of life is viewed as suffering if one enjoys life. I'll get back to you sometime next week, or possibly sooner.

Saint said:
because i love life so much that i want to continue living forever, therefore death is a suffering, a nightmare!

what does suffering mean??? "Feelings of mental or physical pain"
so how can one feel pain when his body functions are no longer alive???
it is a state which we can experience only when we are alive!

i mean l am not willing to give up my life to death, i want to live forever.
but death will get rid of my life, i hate it!

I don't get how a fat dude can be the symbol of self-control and peace...
:confused:

Saint said:

All people live forever, it is impossible to die. Only the body must be replaced when it gets damaged or too old. After your body dies, you will return to earth with a new body because of your karma (relations with people). The body is like clothes. When they get old, you discard them and get new one's
happy.gif

hapsburg, yr so funny
happy.gif

Hapsburg said:
I don't get how a fat dude can be the symbol of self-control and peace...
Siddhartha Gautama wasn't fat. In fact, before he reached enlightenment he is said to have been an ascetic.

The image you're thinking of is not Siddhartha but Hotei also known as Pu-Tai (meaning cloth sack) and is an image of Maitreya the future Buddha. The large belly on the image of the Laughing Buddha is symbolic of the largeness of his soul. It is also symbolic of prosperity, tolerance, luck, happiness, and generosity. Hotei's sack is supposed to contain an endless supply of rice plants, candy for children, food for the hungry, kinda like Santa Claus; or the woes of the world.

~Raithere

Saint said:
Well think of it like the reincarnation. You leave this body to go onto another one, or another type of being. Your existence and name will end, but your "life" keeps going.

even if i reincarnate into another person, i will lose my current memory, this is similar to Extinction of myself.
i am not comfortable!

Yorda said:
All people live forever, it is impossible to die. Only the body must be replaced when it gets damaged or too old. After your body dies, you will return to earth with a new body because of your karma (relations with people). The body is like clothes. When they get old, you discard them and get new one's
happy.gif

hapsburg, yr so funny
happy.gif

you know you are more funny!

Saint said:

this is the universal law...
everything comes with an expiry date!

Saint said:
so, this is our destiny? can we change it?

destiny is not a matter of chance...
it is a matter of choice...
it is not somethint to be looked forward to...
it is something which we make!

If you believe you are just a body you will live life beleiving you are doomed to death and oblivion.

If you believe you are a being who has a body but who is not a body you may believe instead in the continuation of life in some form or another (depending on religion / philosophy).

At the end of their lives they will both either live or die according to the truth of the matter.

Who has led the richer life?

Saint said:
even if i reincarnate into another person, i will lose my current memory, this is similar to Extinction of myself.
i am not comfortable!

hey, you don't understand!!!!! before you were born in Saint's body, you were in another body... you probably thought "it's sad if i have to lose my current memory"... but now you're here again, and you're happy with your new body and self!

Not precisely, Yorda, The Buddha's realization was about everything being directly connected, everything is one, and self is an illusion, so self doesn't simply go through amnesia and occupy another body, it's more of a big picture, like the tree of life. You were never in another body, the thing you call you is a one time deal. But, since everything is one, our ideas, our culture, our understanding or lack of it is inherited. There is a continuous transition between self and other, through the birth process. In a sense it's all one body that gets renewed over and over.

Reincarnation isn't an article of faith, but an implication of the essential truth that enlightenment reveals, that of all forms being a temporal manifestation of one thing. Want to know about your past life? Study human history.

Buddha said life is suffering to counteract the idea that there is an existential problem in the fact that there is suffering in the world. The capacity to suffer, and the capacity to enjoy life both come from the same source, sensitivity. You can't have one without the other. But, most suffering isn't physical, it's mental, and that's what the Buddha's teaching works on.

Yorda said:
hey, you don't understand!!!!! before you were born in Saint's body, you were in another body... you probably thought "it's sad if i have to lose my current memory"... but now you're here again, and you're happy with your new body and self!

are you still living in the dark ages or wat?

spidergoat said:
Not precisely, Yorda, The Buddha's realization was about everything being directly connected, everything is one, and self is an illusion, so self doesn't simply go through amnesia and occupy another body, it's more of a big picture, like the tree of life.

I know, but I wasn't talking about Buddha, I was talking about myself. I know everything is one etc.

yank said:
are you still living in the dark ages or wat?

they had thoughts like mine on "dark ages?" nah... i live in the new age.

Back