How to recognise pseudoscience

You mean not all people perceive gravity? Some perceptions are universal, aren't they. So is science.

I'll simply respond to this, since the rest of your replies were nonsense. Motion is measured by distance and time, not force. You can apply a force for a second or 13 days, force tells you nothing about motion.

Gravity is measured by distance and time. If the force equations don't add up then the force equations are wrong. There is no dispute that the ball traveled 16.087 feet in 1 second from an initial velocity of 0 ft/s. That is a reality.

You mean not all people perceive gravity? Some perceptions are universal, aren't they. So is science.
I'll simply respond to this, since the rest of your replies were nonsense.
I'm strictly no-nonsense here.

This item you selected concerns perception, which you say is relative. I gave you one example, gravity, which is universally perceived by humans.

Motion is measured by distance and time, not force.
What does that have to do with universal (non-relative) perception gravity? Your perception of the ground against your feet is entirely measured by the force acting on your tactile sensors. That force is gravity.

As for your statement here: all measurements are relative to the inertial reference frame. Motion can be measured several ways. An inertial navigation system measures the motion of an aircraft by reacting to thrust (a force), applying Newton's 3rd Law. (He was right about that one, too).

You can apply a force for a second or 13 days, force tells you nothing about motion.
You mean like standing on the ground, motionless? So why are you bringing up motion? If you want to describe motion in the case where a force is involved, you need only recognize that force is the time rate off change of momentum, and momentum tells you about motion. Not sure what your point is, though. It doesn't change the fact that all motion is relative to an inertial reference frame (the thing you call "absolute"). Furthermore, there are cases where force completely describes motion.

Gravity is measured by distance and time.
Standing on a scale doesn't measure gravity? You seem to be locked into ballistics. Below you are either measuring distance and/or time using gravity as the standard. Obviously it's not the same thing as measuring gravity. You could measure gravity several ways, but you would need to be aware that the gravitational force is not a function of distance and time but rather, the product of the masses divided by the distance squared. This distance is the distance between the masses, and is therefore a relative measurement.

If the force equations don't add up then the force equations are wrong.
That's a pretty weird way of stating that the sum of forces acting on an object must equal zero. (Not sure why you mention this.)

There is no dispute that the ball traveled 16.087 feet in 1 second from an initial velocity of 0 ft/s. That is a reality.
On Earth, you mean. For a ball that is dropped (in negligible air friction). And for an observer in the same reference frame. The observer looking at a slant angle through a telescope from a sufficient height will measure 8 feet. He would need to know to calibrate his measurements according to the angle of his lens with respect to the direction of the gravitational force. And he's not even moving. Note, at relativistic speeds the this phenomenon is projected in a similar manner, the angle of the telescope corresponding to the arc-cosine of the Lorentz factor (as a function of relative velocity).

That's more related to the other threads on relativity. Here, under the topic of pseudoscience, we would want to test the OP. For example the statement that pseudoscience is marked by ideas that
James R said:
Any science that is contrary to common sense must be wrong.
could be weighed against
There is no dispute that the ball traveled 16.087 feet in 1 second from an initial velocity of 0 ft/s. That is a reality.
and then perhaps you could explain the difference in measurement from the guy on a hill with a transit, looking down at the experiment. That much would only need common sense (plus an atom of trig). Taking that a step further and applying it to special relativity, you can arrive at the analogy that spacetime works like a turret, distorting the projection on the objective (of a telescope). . . only to arrive at the conclusion that "science must be wrong" / "this does not comport with common sense". . . that's all James R is saying here.

Sounds accurate to me. Unless you wish to prove him wrong.

I'm strictly no-nonsense here.

How would you know evaluating yourself? You need to ask everyone else if they think you are are no-nonsense. If you ask me I will tell you you are full of non-sense.

This item you selected concerns perception, which you say is relative. I gave you one example, gravity, which is universally perceived by humans.

Perception has nothing to do with absolute motion. Plenty of humans have died and their perception was eliminated from the universe, and yet the motion of the universe continues without their perception!

What does that have to do with universal (non-relative) perception gravity? Your perception of the ground against your feet is entirely measured by the force acting on your tactile sensors. That force is gravity.

The ACCELERATION due to gravity is a change in absolute velocity. The pendulum is swinging when you observe the motion of an object falling towards the earth. Did you understand my "pendulum" thread? Acceleration is not proportional to relative velocity, so you are SOL! The earth has an absolute velocity and the falling object has an absolute velocity of its own in space. Do you know how far each of the objects traveled in space, or do you just know the relative velocity between the falling object and earth??

As for your statement here: all measurements are relative to the inertial reference frame. Motion can be measured several ways. An inertial navigation system measures the motion of an aircraft by reacting to thrust (a force), applying Newton's 3rd Law. (He was right about that one, too).

Wrong, all measurements are relative to the defined standard, which is the light sphere.

You mean like standing on the ground, motionless? So why are you bringing up motion? If you want to describe motion in the case where a force is involved, you need only recognize that force is the time rate off change of momentum, and momentum tells you about motion. Not sure what your point is, though. It doesn't change the fact that all motion is relative to an inertial reference frame (the thing you call "absolute"). Furthermore, there are cases where force completely describes motion.

There is no case that you can describe motion by force alone. Torque has no time. You can apply 1000 lb-ft of torque for days, but you have no way of determining motion from that. Torque is timeless.

Standing on a scale doesn't measure gravity?

No, a scale measures force, and force is not an indicator of motion.

You seem to be locked into ballistics. Below you are either measuring distance and/or time using gravity as the standard. Obviously it's not the same thing as measuring gravity. You could measure gravity several ways, but you would need to be aware that the gravitational force is not a function of distance and time but rather, the product of the masses divided by the distance squared. This distance is the distance between the masses, and is therefore a relative measurement.

Listen to what I am saying, motion is measured by measuring the distance and time an object travels in the absolute frame. Force is not proportional to motion! If two people are on a teeter totter, one at each end, and the totter is parallel with the ground and the people have the same mass and volume, at what rate is the totter accelerating? At what RPM is the totter spinning? When you find that you're stuck in a hole from digging too deep, my advice to you is to stop digging, because I will continue to rip you a new ass for everything you say, because your views of reality are incorrect. I know how reality is measured, so I can eat you up at every desire! Wanna play?

Listen to what I am saying, motion is measured by measuring the distance and time an object travels in the absolute frame.

There is no absolute frame.

Although since you've already stated that nothing anyone says will change your position, I don't really know why anyone bothers to try to teach you anything.

After all, car mechanics who have never taken a physics course in their life must certainly know better than 100 years of scientific research.

There is no absolute frame.
After all, car mechanics who have never taken a physics course in their life must certainly know better than 100 years of scientific research.

Is that supposed to be a belittling comment directed towards mechanics? You mean the very mechanics that people pay over $100 an hour to fix their car for them? You mean the same mechanics that know how stuff works and are able to fix things that are broken? How would you know, since you have no idea how anything in the universe works?

Is that supposed to be a belittling comment directed towards mechanics? You mean the very mechanics that people pay over $100 an hour to fix their car for them? You mean the same mechanics that know how stuff works and are able to fix things that are broken? How would you know, since you have no idea how anything in the universe works?

And that has what to do with physics? My mechanic is a good friend of mine and an excellent mechanic. He's also one of the dumber people I know, doesn't have a clue about science in any form, and has never taken a class since he finished tech school decades ago.

You've admitted that you've never taken a physics course in your life, so why would you think you know anything about physics because you can rebuild a tranny?

And that has what to do with physics? My mechanic is a good friend of mine and an excellent mechanic. He's also one of the dumber people I know, doesn't have a clue about science in any form, and has never taken a class since he finished tech school decades ago.

You've admitted that you've never taken a physics course in your life, so why would you think you know anything about physics because you can rebuild a tranny?

All you are doing is showing your ignorance. Do you understand how much physics is involved in you getting in your car, starting it up, and driving to the store to get a loaf of bread?

Do you understand how much physics is involved in you getting in your car, starting it up, and driving to the store to get a loaf of bread?
I don't think many mechanics know how to model the chemical reactions in engines, the temperature/pressure/volume relations of combustion products, the finite element mesh simulations on vehicle airflow or crumple zones during crashes or the elements required to optimise a catalytic converter. Knowing how to swap out components of a device doesn't mean you know its inner most workings. I doubt many computer repairmen know how to model the quantum mechanics within microchips or the Galois theory used to design RAID configurations or optimal noise resistant data transmission codes for wifi communication.

How would you know, since you have no idea how anything in the universe works?
And you cannot provide one iota of evidence you do either. You claim to be able to model things but you will not show it (because you cannot) and you claim to know how things work when you have no access to relevant experimental data measured by others and you do no experiments of your own.

This is why I call you a hypocrite, you are demonstrably hypocritical. You can't sling accusations at people of them not being able to model things or have no evidence when you're the biggest offender of all.

http://automotiveenginemechanics.tpub.com/TM-9-8000/index.htm

When you get done reading this there will be a quiz.
Once again you're happy to demand others show their knowledge but you refuse yourself. Tell you what, how about I give you a few questions on classical mechanics and special relativity? Real basic stuff children or freshman learn? In your case you shouldn't have to even do any reading, since you supposedly understand this sort of stuff anyway. Or are you just going to keep demanding people do things you refuse to do yourself?

Once again you're happy to demand others show their knowledge but you refuse yourself. Tell you what, how about I give you a few questions on classical mechanics and special relativity? Real basic stuff children or freshman learn? In your case you shouldn't have to even do any reading, since you supposedly understand this sort of stuff anyway. Or are you just going to keep demanding people do things you refuse to do yourself?

Do you feel the necessity to learn every crackpot theory there is in existence? No? Then why should I waste my time trying to learn Einstein's crackpot theory when I know for sure it is wrong?

Do you feel the necessity to learn every crackpot theory there is in existence? No? Then why should I waste my time trying to learn Einstein's crackpot theory when I know for sure it is wrong?

There is just such a complete disconnect with reality here, it truely is useless to try to carry on any discussion.

I'm gonna tell you what gravity is.

When you lift a rock off the surface of the earth you are extending the radius of the rock from the center of the earth. You are forcing a higher velocity on the rock, as it is a greater distance away from the center of the earth and you are forcing the rock to travel a greater distance in space per revolution of the earth as compared to the surface of the earth. In the absence of a force holding that rock at a higher velocity, the rock can not sustain that higher velocity without that force, and it returns to a spot where the velocity is correct for it, which in the earth's case is below the surface of the earth, but the earth is stopping the rock from decreasing velocity any more, as it is forcing a velocity on the rock. Ultimately there would be no velocity if you were 0 distance away from the axis. It takes more force to accelerate a larger mass, so a larger mass will require more force to accelerate the rock's velocity when you increase the radius (when you lift it). Of course, when rocks are trying to get to the axis and the mass of the earth won't let it it turns into a density order, because the more massive object will require more force to stop it from getting to the center. So you end up with a massive core and a less dense volume as you travel away from the axis.

Last edited:
Back