How strong is a silverbach gorrila compared to a strong adult male human

In 70-98% of the ways, i can find, gorillas are stronger. Taken on a whole is a different scenario though.

I think it's safe to say that the average gorilla has the strength to rip even an extraordinarily large and strong man to shreds with little effort.

So, what we have really learned here is..... Don't hang around, or piss off, a Siverback Gorilla.

'Nuff said.
:cool:

Last edited:
What do you think of gorilla v male lion?

(These are the fights we never get to see on National Geographic) :(

Lions kill larger animals all the time, so they know what they are doing. In spite of a gorilla's strength, they are vegetarians and have no experience in killing, so I would pick the lion easily. That being said, lions are cautious and wouldn't fight something that would fight back, something that isn't their ordinary prey.

Probably because they don't share a habitat. :spank:

They may not be found too often in forests of Congo etc but the lions distribution pretty much covers all of Africa. It truly is the king of Africa!

I'm pretty sure these two animals have crossed plenty of times before in the past. probably not often enough to capture on TV though

Nonsense. Lions don't even come near gorillas. And the distribution of lions in africa is pretty limited. The only ubiquitous feline predator in Africa is the leopard.

And it doesn't limit itself to a single habitat or continent. It is an opportunist and a wonderful beast.

Feel free to look up the current range of lions habitation if you feel like it. It's extremely limited.

Nonsense. Lions don't even come near gorillas. And the distribution of lions in africa is pretty limited. The only ubiquitous feline predator in Africa is the leopard.

And it doesn't limit itself to a single habitat or continent. It is an opportunist and a wonderful beast.

Feel free to look up the current range of lions habitation if you feel like it. It's extremely limited.

Hi Mac, what you say is true, lions and gorillas never interact in the wilds of Africa, but there is evidence that leopards sometimes kill gorillas, but if it can kill a full grown silver-back gorilla is disputable

A friend of mine claimed that the Romans & other old cultures pitted various animals against each other in the arena in which gladiators fought.

He claimed that an adult male gorilla never lost to any animal. He claimed that an elephant was trained or goaded into attacking a gorilla. The gorilla managed to leap or climb onto the elephant's head or back & cause pain to the elephant, but did not kill it.

I have no way of verifying the above & anm not sure where my friend got his information.
That sounds about right.

I'm sure we can run farther though.
Ah, but that's due to our skin! It may be one of the best adaptations humans ever made - I mean, we dont' pant so we can run down pretty much any large prey until they drop over - free eats for us!

Hi Mac, what you say is true, lions and gorillas never interact in the wilds of Africa, but there is evidence that leopards sometimes kill gorillas, but if it can kill a full grown silver-back gorilla is disputable

Indeed, and leopards aren't stupid. Like any predator they will go for the small, weak, sick or old. So I guess they seldom will go for a full grown silverback in their prime. I assume they might sometimes go after an infant or a sick exemplar.

Maybe only the leopards that can be nominated for the Darwin awards might try to go head to head with a male gorilla in its prime.

That is not a limited distribution:

590px-Lion_distribution.svg.png

Here is gorilla distribution:

2535054_f520.jpg

I don't disagree that leopards come into contact far more often but it is pretty naive to say that Lions and Gorillas have never even once come into contact in the history of the continent. Lions have pretty much seen everything Africa has to offer - and is still king of the beasts.

Look up a historic distribution pattern and you can back your statement. Be honest and you will find a different distribution.

Lion_distribution_2010.png

Gorillas might have met lions. And I might win the lottery tomorrow.

In real life probability dictates that lions never meet gorillas. And that is what you claimed was a probable event.

Your null hypothesis has been rejected. Accept it and move on.

How Strong Are Gorillas?

Is there a point to this thread? Let's say I say gorillas are 5.78 times stronger than humans and you say it is 8.21 times....

Do we really care that much and is it possible to put such an exact number on the answer?

No and no....

But yes, gorillas are strong....

Look up a historic distribution pattern and you can back your statement. Be honest and you will find a different distribution.

Thanks for just helping my argument. You have shown that lions covered even more of Africa than I initially thought! And yet you still think that not one of these lions have roamed close to a forest and met a gorilla over a few million years.

Back