How does evolution theory explain the sex differentiation?

Oh yeah I didn't read that. Some species still do not reproduce sexually. There are some advantages to it.

If everybody isn't reproducing there is more food to go around. Not everyone in a bee hive or a wolf pack gets to reproduce.

It's the logical development. It's probably an eventuality in all organic development. Especially in higher life forms. One to care. One to hunt. One to nest. One to build.

~String

Asexual reproduction is more logical, though less diverse.

Probably, self-replicating organisms at one point began exchanging genetic material with others from the same species.

Why only from the same species? What about exchanging genetic material from other species? Mitochondria would be a good example.

Did sex arise independently in plants?

IIRC the most sexual diversity I've run across personally was a species of fungus that had eight sexes. I don't think that's the record.

Fungi and algae can have some very complicated life cycles.

One big advantage of sex in large, long-lived organisms is disease resistance from the recombination. Just splitting is much more efficient from an energy budget and risk point of view, but then the kid's a clone - any disease that comes along after a while will have an easy concentration of identical targets.

Wow. A lot of stuff gets thrown around here. First one question
IIRC the most sexual diversity I've run across personally was a species of fungus that had eight sexes.
Could you dig up where you found this? I would be really interested.

Now back to the OP. I gather that the basic question is directed at the evolution of sexual reproduction.

Let us take a step back. Asexual reproduction can be seen as the basic form in which each individual creates genetically identical (except for mutations) offspring. Sexual reproduction in contrast has a the classical two-fold cost compared to asexual reproduction. Also co-adapted traits may be broken up thus resulting in a loss in fitness.
Nonetheless sexual reproduction did evolve. There are a number of explanations why the evolution of sex may have resulted in fitness increases instead. But before I continue to elaborate on that I would like to know whether it is the correct course of the discussion after all....

Asexual reproduction is more logical, though less diverse.

Why only from the same species? What about exchanging genetic material from other species? Mitochondria would be a good example.

Hmm yes, most likely that happened as well. At one point same species sex became the norm however, I just picked up from there.

Back