How do you know what is evil when evil is none existent?

This misunderstanding of historical context leads to the athesit conclusion the ancients had to be wrong since they didn't follow the modern rules that would not exist for another 5000 years. That shows a lack fo historical perspective.

I agree. But I think you will agree that to hold that perspective as true today is ridiculous. Science has moved on and people should too.

Noah only needed two deer by the old catalog and not thousands based on modern cataloging.
Ok, so thats why the ancients thought Noah's tale could be realistic.

So genetic determinism of behaviour works by controlling enzymes and hormones?
Ps. how did you find those links. I search for altruism and a second time for genetic determinism of behaviours [google]. How did u find those awesome links?
And how did u quote them?

I googled "genetic causes altruism". If at first you don't succeed, reword what you tell the search engine, they are finicky.
The little yellow dialogue balloon in your advanced reply toolbar (to the left of the pound sign) will quote whatever you highlight here. Then just C & P.
Hmm, I wish someone would tell me how to strikethrough, it's not in the fonts menu.

In ancient times, they would catalog animals more like the modern layman. I am not expert with deer, and I am sure there are hundreds of variations all over the world based on modern cataloging. I would call them all deer. This would bother the experts who prefer a different filing system.
.... Noah only needed two deer by the old catalog and not thousands based on modern cataloging...
Once you lump modern species in the ancient way, the number of separate species is far less. The more you shrink down the cataloging, the less obvious evolution will become.
From Wikipedia: Definition of population bottleneck:
A population bottleneck (or genetic bottleneck) is an evolutionary event in which a significant percentage of a population or species is killed or otherwise prevented from reproducing.[1]...> snip<...Population bottlenecks reduce the genetic variation and, therefore, the population's ability to adapt to new selective pressures, such as climatic change or shift in available resources. Genetic drift can eliminate alleles that could have been positively selected on by the environment if they had not already drifted out of the population.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck

Yet another reason why Noah's ark really just has to be a folktale...besides the neat correlation with an earlier Babylonian myth:
http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/floodorigins.html
How did we get here from good and evil though???

My apologies to the OP for going WAAAAY off-topic.

How does atheism work out the problems of good, evil, and suffering? And without God, where do atheists go to for comfort?
Are you saying that if you suddenly found proof that your god does not exist, that you would become an evil murderous rapist? Do you really need an external source to tell you the difference between good and evil?

Are you saying that if you suddenly found proof that your god does not exist, that you would become an evil murderous rapist? Do you really need an external source to tell you the difference between good and evil?

My own hypothesis is that religion really does very little to alter interpersonal behavior, which explains why the evangelicals I meet are all so very judgmental.

Last edited:
I think i see the difficulty. I wasn't talking about any particular moral code, but about basic animal morality. Human codes, moral, legal, religious, dress, etiquette, military... these come and go. They serve the limited purpose of a ruling class during a period of time, in some place and circumstance. Rulers are replaced; rules are replaced. Morality remains.

I think you've pointed out where I fundamentally disagree here. The word law more closely fits something longstanding, where the word morality generally fits things for the time or of a person preference. If what you were saying were fundamentally true, it would be Newtons Three Morals. Morals are closer to a person preferences or customs, which change with the winds of time, whereas laws would require a change in physics, not ever gonna happen.

Yes...although the more complex the animal, the more socialization plays a part.
http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/Altruism and Aggression 1986.pdf
Five questionnaires measuring altruistic and aggressive tendencies were completed by 573 adult twin
pairs of both sexes from the University of London Institute of Psychiatry Volunteer Twin Register.
The questionnaires measured altruism, empathy, nurturanoe, aggressiveness, and assertiveness. The
intraclass correlations for the five scales, respectively, were .53, .54, .49, .40, and .52 for 296 monozygotic
pairs, and .25, .20, .14, .04, and .20 for 179 same-sex dizygotic pairs, resulting in broad heritability
estimates of 56%, 68%, 70%, 72%, and 64%. Additional analyses, using maximum-likelihood model-fitting,
revealed approximately 50% of the variance on each scale to be associated with genetic effects...

Continue to troll and post in this manner and you will face moderation. Do you need me to spell that out more for you?
Of course I dont. But do you really need me to point out that your analogy fails, because you haven't linked to a bunch of pages, which might or might not contain the above threat, without specifying where on those pages whatever it is you're trying to say, can be found.
If people post links, they should at least quote a relevant sentence from the linked page.

Of course I dont. But do you really need me to point out that your analogy fails, because you haven't linked to a bunch of pages, which might or might not contain the above threat, without specifying where on those pages whatever it is you're trying to say, can be found.
If people post links, they should at least quote a relevant sentence from the linked page.

The links were posted. It is only a matter of you clicking on them to see for yourself. No one should have to cater for your laziness and no one deserves to be abused and insulted and sworn at because you are too lazy to click on a link.

I would have assumed that was clear from my post to you. It seems not. The numerous links posted to you, upon your demand can be found starting from here:

Post 31

Post 33

Post 40

And each time you kept demanding that aaqucnaona provided support for his/her claims. Then you started to get abusive and rude about it, because you were still too damned lazy to click on a link. Whereupon the thread degenerated from you trolling because you refused to click on a single link provided.

Such behaviour is not acceptable on this forum. Is that clear enough for you? Or do you want me to make it even simpler for you? That is of course, if you can actually be bothered to click on the links provided showing where the evidence was presented to you. It starts from page two of this thread if you're too lazy to even click on these links.

There is a big difference between saying that certain (human) behaviours may be amenable to an evolutionary explanation, and claiming that those behaviours are determined by genetics. Clearly behaviours, at least for humans, are not so determined. If nothing else, that uniquely human attribute, culture, serves to de-couple behaviour from genetics.

Still, looking for, and understanding, the adaptive reasons for at least the rise of a given behaviour can be a fruitful line of inquiry.

Rich

Ps. how did you find those links. I search for altruism and a second time for genetic determinism of behaviours [google]. How did u find those awesome links?
And how did u quote them?

One way to get access to specific ScienceDaily topics is to search right on its Web-site. There are over a hundred thousand stories there.

These are genetic behaviours/instincts inherent in human thinking. Such genes are found in all social animals like ants,termites, lions, wolves, monkeys and apes [including humans]. They determine the individuals behaviours in regards to breeding, social order, planning, work and in higher animals like us apes, also affect the basic outlook and decisions of morality, like 1 can sacrifice 1 life to save 5; innocent bystanders should be dragged into or harmed by conflicts; we have moral obligations to our relatives, etc. Such questions of morality have quite unanimous agreement among all humans reguardless of their religious beliefs, i.e. they are instinctive [genetically determined].

Morality seems to be a repackaged term being used by some social scientists as determined by basic laws. This widens the scope of the terms meaning from cultural preferences to survivalism. This convolutes the terms meaning overall. Moralities stipulation can change quite drastically from religion to religion, i.e., multiple wives in this one, one wife in that one. We can debate polygamy vs. monogamy as to which is better for survival, but they both have benefits and boils down to preference. Where scientes will admit this, not the moralists, they will apply tags of morality that also fall into the criminal category. We have psuedo-science, shall we introduce pseudo-morality for the scientific moralists?

I would agree with what the wiki claims as the traditional view:

The traditional view of social scientists has been that morality is a construct, and is thus culturally relative.

Your claim is:

Such questions of morality have quite unanimous agreement among all humans reguardless of their religious beliefs, i.e. they are instinctive [genetically determined].

The wiki claims that animals do not possess moral behavior, but instead modify their behavior:

Though animals may not possess moral behavior, all social animals have had to modify or restrain their behaviors for group living to be worthwhile.

I assume the difference between human morality and animal behavior modification is that a human has more complex cognitive activity before the moral decision is made. I think a few degrees of change is the fundamental difference here.

Natural law will determine what will be cooperative and not. Since physical laws do not change, physical laws will determine the genes that allow for behavior modification that increases survival and remove genes that do not allow for modifications.

In humans, although more cognitive activity before a choice in behavior, humans can only act as intelligently and cooperatively relative to the facts understood in the situation. These facts are determined again my physical laws. A person lacking necessary facts will have the same intentions as one with more facts that would allow a more productive decisions.

Morality seems to imply a person has good intentions, but nature will punish those who are not respectful of it's laws, regardless of intention. As a result, morality doesn't seem to have the last word or should be used as a guide, instead a strong understanding of natures laws has the last word. The ebb and flow of what is right and wrong changes from culture to culture and time to time, but nature's laws never change.

The context in which you are using morality is that we can all agree on it. I could agree, but I think the term 'morality' is improper, so I don't agree. I think it's law we can agree on not morality.

Because of these types of moral ambiguities, I hold to the traditional scientific view. I don't agree to call what is now the 'new science of morality', instead I would call it the science of cooperation. I leave the term morality to the religious and the preferential.

the religious and the preferential.

I agree with the rest of your post but think about it, religion isn't the only other option. Neurology, sociology, philosophy, psychology are all fields equally capable of handling this question. We dont have to refer to evolutionary biology or neurobiology when we talk of a scientific basis for morality.
My only point was that religion isn't the only way to determine morality, and at some level, it is genetically influenced, like:
One can sacrifice 1 life to save 5;
innocent bystanders should not be dragged into or harmed by conflicts;
we have moral obligations to our relatives, etc.

“ Originally Posted by spidergoat
It has no existence on it's own, but it's a label that can be applied to clearly immoral behavior. ”

How does atheism work out the problems of good, evil, and suffering? And without God, where do atheists go to for comfort?

atheism does so by realization that " good and evil " come from religious ideas and concepts

I agree with the rest of your post but think about it, religion isn't the only other option. Neurology, sociology, philosophy, psychology are all fields equally capable of handling this question. We dont have to refer to evolutionary biology or neurobiology when we talk of a scientific basis for morality.
My only point was that religion isn't the only way to determine morality, and at some level, it is genetically influenced, like:
One can sacrifice 1 life to save 5;
innocent bystanders should not be dragged into or harmed by conflicts;
we have moral obligations to our relatives, etc.

I'm glad scientists have been stepping up to morality and putting into a scientific context. I see it can help those those who impose their preferences on others understand it's an impractical way to run a society, and help those who are against all morality better see a natural basis for human choices.

I guess my question at this point is: What criteria does science use to draw that line on what is moral and immoral using a genetic basis? Just because some choices may have more Darwin points than other choices like heterosexual choices, does that mean that homosexual choices are wrong?

Does science use a scale point system where this has x amount of morality points, or is there a clear line determining moral and immoral?

If scientific morality encompasses all things in general (cultural preferences like public nudity to intolerance of homicide), then it's ambiguous. But it if demands a significant amount of harm for a human action to be considered moral, then we already have a taxification for that: crime. If it’s a scale based on survival points, wheres the scale?

@Steampunk

wheres the scale?

I think both darwin points and survival value are inadequate scales for a scientific study of morality. I think the ability to be happy [or to have an emotionally rich experience] is what should be the scale. But it will not be an absolute scale. This video from TED is a good starting point for a 'Science of morality':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

morality2b.jpg

Back