how do we discourage terrorism

Theoryofrelativity said:
actually it's the third wrong, the first being the political situation and murder of their own, they retaliate with the means at their disposal and you retaliate with the mean at yours. 1,2,3,

Can't cure this problem with your reccomended step 3 as they will retaliate with their step 4, only way to stop the problem is to resolve the dispute at step 1.
But step 1 is caused by step 0, the society that created the political situation, which is caused by step -1, and backwards and backwards... :p

Zephyr said:
But step 1 is caused by step 0, the society that created the political situation, which is caused by step -1, and backwards and backwards... :p

There's really no need to be smug, step 1 was not caused by society, society is not responsible for the actions of its government, look at Iraq, we Britains were majority against, didn't stop it happenning though, step 1 politics. Unless you want to blame the big bang?

Last edited:
yeah, its societys fault that rapists murderers paedophiles and terrorists exisst, alternatively it is our politicians fault that they exist.

Where is the responsibility? the vast majority of individuals do not go thieving raping and murdering, so why should anyone else? because they think they have an excuse?

thats crap, and you know it is.

there are no excuses, there should only be consequences, and in cases such as murder an example needs to be set - SOCIETY WILL NOT TOLERATE IT

Quagmire said:
Where is the responsibility? the vast majority of individuals do not go thieving raping and murdering, so why should anyone else?
Actually they do.

Theft of minor items from the workplace is common.
Taking a 'sickie' away from work is theft.
Idling on the job is theft.
All of these are practised at one time or another by the majority of people.

Don't risk challenging me on the other two points my intransigent murderer. :mad:

subtle difference though, i dont want innocents dead, just the paedophiles, just the murderers, just the rapists, just the terrorists.

have you any idea why people commit the crimes that you speak of?

You can't discourage terrorists by killing their families if they belong to a wacko religion like Christianity or Islam and believe that when people die they go to heaven and have a wonderful afterlife.

What they're really the angriest about is America's influence on world culture. Now that we're in a decline their anger will probably fade away. Perhaps it's fortunate that Bush has angered and alienated so many countries that used to be our friends. They are no longer seeing us as something that should be automatically emulated. People in countries that saw that as a threat will be a little relieved.

Quagmire said:
subtle difference though, i dont want innocents dead, just the paedophiles, just the murderers, just the rapists, just the terrorists.
Terrorists don't want innocents dead, just the evil infidels.

Quagmire said:
It is my firm belief any suicide bomber would at least think twice before KILLING INNOCENTS IN THE NAME OF ALLAH if he thought his family and extended family would be brought to account for his/her actions.

Might work temporarily, but in the long run it would cause even more terrorism, as pointed out above. Israel already does this. One of the Munich Olympics terrorists said he did it because when he was a child, Israel had bulldozed his family's house, which they do when they suspect anyone related to the house is an enemy.

I doubt many terrorists kill in the name of Allah--their faith just gives them the fortitude to die for their worldly cause. Generally they kill because they are oppressed or seeking revenge.

The US already figured out the solution that lets them oppress without terrorism in the long run. They decimate the entire race. That's what they did to the native Americans. Threatening relatives won't work; they must be killed or ruined. And not just the relatives, but the relatives of the relatives too. Israel has long been applying that method to the Palestinians. But with modern media watching it's tougher.

No, I didn't know about anything to that extent; thanks. Guess that explains why Hamas is the Palestinian leadership now. They need revenge.

Those weren't Palestinians, it was the Muslim Brotherhood in Syria. The Syrian government considered them terrorists and crushed them.

To be fair, this was 1982, but one would've thought even then that the media was fairly well developed. Yet it doesn't seem nearly as well known as, say, Saddam's oppression of the Kurds.

But what could the UN do? Occupation you can make resolutions against, but once killing is done, it's done. As you said. The thing you really need to prevent something like that is an effective International Criminal Court.

Ophiolite said:
Actually they do.

Theft of minor items from the workplace is common.
Taking a 'sickie' away from work is theft.
Idling on the job is theft.
All of these are practised at one time or another by the majority of people.

Don't risk challenging me on the other two points my intransigent murderer. :mad:

please do not compare and contrast in the fashion you have.

theft - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4668946.stm
theft - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4770330.stm

a couple of pens or some paper clips isnt quite in the same catagory.

as for a sickie - get caught and face the possibility of the sack.

as for idling on the job - well, im sure we could all work our fingers to the bone/ourselves to death. targets are sometimes set, if they are not reached - you can face the sack.

and your final comment shows you as the snidey rodent you are :)

As for my penalty for suicide bombers relatives - i havnt said kill them, simply make their lives very difficult - take any children into care, and ship the adults off to where ever they came from.

no trial, no appeal - just extradition - we dont want you here, we will not tolerate your terrorism, and we will act quickly and forcefully to discourage anyone else from following in your footsteps.

Quagmire said:
As for my penalty for suicide bombers relatives - i havnt said kill them, simply make their lives very difficult - take any children into care, and ship the adults off to where ever they came from.
You mean Huddersfield?

Back