How did Buddha know he achieved enlightenment?

BeHereNow said:
The Buddha would be pleased that the cause of his death gave me happiness.

Well, it would be some consolation for what must have been some nasty stomach cramps and intestinal spasms. Otherwise healthy bodies typically do not go without putting up one heck of a fight. And all of the Pot Bellied Buddhas I've seen look mighty healthy. It probably took a lot of pain to kill somebody that flush with vitality.

But as long as it made you happy.

Yes, there is a double meaning in my statement.

Of course I didn’t mean the manner of his death made me happy (but you knew that), rather the cause of his death was the cause of my happiness.

BeHereNow said:
Yes, there is a double meaning in my statement.

Of course I didn’t mean the manner of his death made me happy (but you knew that), rather the cause of his death was the cause of my happiness.

yeah, I know.

But I'm a Catholic and so I just had to try to make you feel guilty... just to keep in practice...

So, it would be my understanding that a person can say he is Enlightened only if his understanding of Things goes all the way to the core of Being, where that very Being could be modified. Without the ability to Control and Modify Existence, there is no Enlightenment... or at least no proof of it.

Leo,
I think I see what you're getting at, but I don't think enlightenment is a supernatural phenomenon such as Jesus' miracles. I don't think even those miracles were supernatural. Miracles, in Buddhism, are a sign of mental power, and are seen as nothing special. Since an ordinary magician can trick people with ease, Buddhists don't depend on such tactics. Yes, words are crude tools to explain anything, especially spiritual truth, with an absolute degree of precision. So Buddha's words were not meant to define his teaching absolutely. They are meant as a guide for cultivating the true teaching beyond words in yourself. It is your own experience that is the proof. I don't think Buddha (or the many Buddhas which followed the first) feel the need to prove anything to a doubting public. There isn't the same missionary zeal to Buddhism as with Christianity. You're own intuition should tell you if the teacher is sincere or not, and faith in their sincerity should guide one to follow through with the teaching. Instead of a means of aquiring control over life, it is a kind of giving up trying to control what you can't (sound familiar?-thy will be done). Instead of rewarding the unenlightened with what they desire, which is control over an uncertain world, it removes the misplaced desire to control. The only "core of being" is the mind. Our reality is made of perception, change your perception, and you change your reality. No one percieves anything directly, that is why our world is said to be illusory.

.... Oh wait... there may be lesser degrees of Enlightenment, short of being able to modify matter. This could be through demonstrating Direct Knowledge of things beyond the ordinary sphere of the perceptions -- to know things at a distance, or to know the content of other people's minds. It does not go to the Core of Being, but it does show some partial transcendence of Self.
No kind of enlightening allows one to modify matter beyond what is possible already. I can modify matter pretty easily with a sharp chisel or sandpaper. Far from being a let down, it is this kind of ordinariness that typifies the breakthrough. Modifying matter with a chisel IS miraculous, it's just that you would ordinarily not notice this because it's such a common event. In the same way, enlightenment isn't more common BECAUSE ordinary perception is taken for granted. It is hidden in plain sight. Self has always been an illusion generated by the mind, thus no supernatural phenomenon is necessary to transcend it.

Who the hell cares about the Buddha anyway? No one was supposed to worship him, just become him.

I once dreamed that I was sitting on the ground which was whitish and
sandy with flora that was a little on the tropical side. I was approached
by militant type persons wearing brownish vests that had a colored
design w/ purple(sort of like purple covered w/ brown crosshatching)
One of whom seem to be the leader or at least most outspoken sitting on
an elephant. I think it was their intent to do harm and/or take me by force.

As I placed my right hand to the ground, I felt a sensation like static discharge
from the tip of my fingers. At that same moment the ground shook and the
leader fell off his elephant. The others took it as a sign and backed off.
I seem to remember one there looking a little like a monkey and being called
something like "...human" or "...Hunan".

I wish I had written it down as I can't remember it as well now.
The dress, flora, landscape were a lot different than what I am familiar with.

Has anyone had a similiar dream?

Last edited:
spidergoat said:
Leo,
Miracles, in Buddhism, are a sign of mental power, and are seen as nothing special.

People were being conned then as now. What you say the Buddhists were saying is now said by the New Age Gurus who are asked to perform miracles in order to give some credibility to all of their highflown assertions. They say something to the effect that miracles would be easy enough for them, but that seeing miracles would be harmful to everybodies faith, that the miracles are unimportant to 'True' Believers, blah blah blah. You would think that a reasonable person would see that as an easy excuse for somebody who wants to blow off the local skeptics.

But for every hundred and fifty self-acclaimed spritualists who are too good to perform a miracle and who take great pride in practicing miraculous restraint, there are actual Saints who do perform Miracles, and do not express any guilt over it, or acknowledge that they may be doing great spiritual harm to people by verifying concretely that Miracles do happen and are possible.

Yes, there are magicians who can perform pretty good tricks. But study the Miracles of the Saints and you will find that the Real Thing is a bit more complicated than the usual card trick. When Francis of Paola was turned down when he asked for a ferry boat ride to Sicily, he took off his robe and stood on one edge of it and unfurled the rest of it to provide a sail, and he then windsurfed to Sicily on a piece of linen. Again, when a truck load of marble pillars arrived, only he and a little old lady were there to meet the wagon which had to unload and get back on the road. So, taking two 10 ton pillars and putting one under each arm, he asked the little old lady to do the same. The Wagon Drivers joined in and the commotion they made brought out other villagers who joined in, each person amazing himself that he could lift and carry a 10 ton stone pillar. You can suppose they were made of some medieval styrafoam and were swopped out for the real stone ones later, but, no, they were then and there placed in their foundation slots and have been there ever since. There was another instance in which the primary ceiling beam arrived on the building site and was found to be several meters too short to span the length of the roof as the foundation had been set. Francis told the work crew to hold one end while he pulled on the other. The Workers could hardly believe their eyes when they saw that Francis was able to 'stretch' the wooden beam another couple meters. Do any Magicians do such tricks, without veils or boxes, doors or covers to hide the magical mechanisms. Again, the Bishop insisted that Francis was becoming too much of a controversial figure and that he should not perform miracles so lightly. The next day a worker fell off a bell tower. Francis, seeing the accident, froze the man's descent in midair and asked him to be patient while he asked the Bishop for clarification on his policy on miracles, and whether it was okay to impromptu save the life of a worker. There was another worker who had been killed when a demolished building collapsed on him and crushed most of the bones in his body. Francis rose him from the dead and instantly mended the bones. Even if it was a trick, the worker subsequently became famous for then after showing absolutely no regard for his safety, and his consequent accidents required Francis to repair him time and time again. The worker became quite famous for towns and villages around and he quite enjoyed taking risks enough to severly injure himself just for the lark of being risen again from the dead.

Francis was good, but not the best of the Miraculous Saints. Joseph of Copertino could levitate... no, 'levitate' is hardly the word for it. Joseph could fly. Witnesses said he could dart back and forth as fast as an arrow and spin faster than a top. In doors where we might suspect mechanisms and wires, but also outside where he would fly over walls, trees, buildings, parks and roads while following processions. Not hoovering and floating along slowly, but darting above "as fast as an arrow". Nice magic trick! You would think that a modern day magician could be a pretty nice TV deal if he could duplicate was some stupid Monk was able to do 3 Centuries ago.

Then there was the supreme Saint, Vincent Ferrer. They said that the only miracle with Vincent Ferrer would be if he could go one day without a Thousand Miracles. He traveled with an entourage of 10,000 Flagellents. Just feeding them was a miracle. He would boast that with them walking 30 plus miles a day, naked and whipping themselves with bloody scurges, that none ever suffered sickness or fatigue. Upon entering towns or cities he would empty the hospitals and cure everybody. With crowds measuring in the hundreds of thousands, and without the aid of electronic amplifiction, he would address the crowd in his little old man voice speaking only Castillian Spanish, but wherever he was in Europe every person, no matter how far from the podium would hear Vincent Ferrer addressing them in their own native tongue. Nice trick! Some days his schedule would be so busy that he would delegate his miraculous powers to local priests who would go out to the surrounding clinics in adjoining villages. These Priests knew that ordinarily they had no miraculous powers, and so the miracle for them was to see themselves performing miracles -- to see twisted limbs straighten upon their touch, mutes speak, the blind see. And these were the local priests who had first hand knowledge of the people and inflictions they were healing.

Dominic tried to conceal his miracles. To keep himself from flying, he wound several yards of lumbar chain under his robes, to weigh himself down. As he grew older he became somewhat nearsighted and often other monks could see him at night approaching the locked gate to their compound, and not wishing to disturb the On Duty Gate Keeper he would carefully look about to see if anybody were watching, and not seeing everyone who watched, would levitate over the walls.

Dominic was cool. When he was still young he got caught up with a Sir Roger and his 800 Cathelic Knights who were beseiged by 5000 heretic knights who had been reinforced by a Baron from Spain. Sir Roger and his men did not wish to tolerate the discomfort of starving to death and so wished to get it over with in open battle, but Sir Roger made it a point to first apologize to his young Chaplain Dominic for having lead him to his death. Dominic apologized in his turn that quite to contrary he would have loved to have been made a martyr, but that he did not feel worthy and that it did not feel to him as though that is what would happen the next day, and he assured Sir Roger that he was a brilliant General and that Dominic was sure that Sir Roger would 'think of something'. The next day, as per appointment, the 5000 were assembled before the besieged Castle and ready for battle. At a glance, Roger was amazed with what he saw. There were less than 50 ranks of Cavalry in front of the Pavilians of the Spanish Count. The math instantly occurred to him that with his 800 men he could easily assemble Push and Block Teams that could crash into the Heretic Lines and shove them to either side and split them in a huge 'V' all the way up to the Pavillians of the Enemy Leader. And that is how the Battle played out --800 Men arranged in about 50 Ranks charged in and pressed the Heretics to the outside and captured the Baron who was the financial support of that Heretic Expendition. The Battle was over in minutes, as all of the Heretics agreed to come to terms so that they could continue being paid. Sir Roger would spend the rest of his life not taking credit for his own Victory but rather claiming it as one of Dominic's Miracles.

But we are to believe that these Catholic Saints were just showing off or were indulging in a kind of spiritual inferiority compared to the Buddhists, who, by not doing anything at all, were able to convince a great many deluded Spiritualists, that they were indeed superior. It is as though the Buddhists are answering the Catholic and Hindu Challenges to the Miraculous by saying "If you think that is something, then look at this -- Nothing". It is my opinion that anybody who gets sucked into an obvious dodge like that must be at least partially retarded.

danielb said:
I seem to remember one there looking a little like a monkey and being called
something like "...human" or "...Hunan".

In Hindu Lore there is a Monkey devotee to the God Avatar Ram whose name is Hanuman.

I had always thought the Legend of Hanuman was only the flimsiest veil for an obvious racism. Ram is an Arian Invader who, coming into southern India, finds a Civilization of 'Monkeys' who have Kings, Cities, Courts, Markets, Armies, and indeed everything that we could have expected the Davidic 'People' of Southern India would have had as they met the Arian Invasion from the North. Hanuman was not a "Monkey". He was a Human Being of the Dark Race Native to Southern India. But in India today everyone still plays along with the idea that there was a Civilization of Monkeys, and they are even drawn with tails, fur and everything. At one point in the Legend, Ram even lights Hanuman's 'tail' on fire.

As for the rest of your dream... it is common to be able to stop an enemy simply by touching them, but I had never heard of anybody using the tactic of touching them by connecting to them through the ground. Good intuition!

spidergoat said:
Leo,
Who the hell cares about the Buddha anyway? No one was supposed to worship him, just become him.

People toss around the word "worship" and it is quite impossible to figure out what they mean by it. Just this morning in Mass I was told that we Catholics do not 'worship' Mary, but instead we honor and venerate Her. But what is the distinction supposed to be? Worship is kneeling on both knees but to venerate is to touch only one knee to the ground. It seems silly to suppose that there can be a distinction between 'worship' and any other show of regard, respect, or admiration. So I would suppose that if one so admired the Buddha to such a degree that one wished to emulate him even to the point of assuming his Identity, then how could that not be construed as some kind of 'worship'. Or you will have to explain to me how 'worship' is such a unique thing entirely isolated and distinct to itself, shading over into no other show of positive regard or admiration.

The Catholic Logicians were quite sophisticated in their apologies, almost to the point of awkward simplicity. They said that Worship is by definition offered to God. The very same actions done toward Mary, because She is not God, are therefore only styled 'veneration'. The Action does not define "Worship", but the Recipient. The argument works like a charm until you confront the Religious Injunction not to 'Worship' non-Gods, because they had already defined away that very possiblity. It returns them to what had always been intuitively obvious, that 'Worship' is defined in the action as much as by the Intended Recipient. But then we get stuck in drawing the line between 'worship' and every other form of showing positivity or appreciation.

Buddha isn't the identity of Buddha, but an honorary title shared by many. "The" Buddha didn't need anyone's positivity or admiration, he only wanted to help people. It's like if you meet a great professor, and instead of learning from her, you just tell her how great she is. The thrust of Buddhism is inward, not outward to the founder, although this is the extent of it for many lay Buddhists- they might as well be Christian because they expect blessings, protection, and solutions to their problems. A simple show of respect for him and his legacy is quite enough, you can call it what you want. I don't consider myself to worship anything, except maybe the beauty of nature.

In the three Zen traditions, Ch'an, Soto, and Rinzai, Masters will sometimes deface and destroy images and statues of Buddha in an effort to help students stop their grasping towards the notion that Buddha is somehow divine.

Buddha didn't need overt miracles to establish credibility, it would have invited skepticism like it does now, rather than faith. He was not a supernatural being anyway, and he couldn't have done the kind of thing the saints were supposed to have done. The real miracle is the transformation of self, which comes from inside. Buddhists don't want the miracle seeking person, because its a product of the same desire we aim to get rid of. It's not like "oh, I could do it, but I don't want to", it's more like "you want me to do what?!? ...you really don't understand what I'm getting at , do you?, go call a carpenter.". The ancient east was full of martial artists who could balance on their stomach on the end of a sharpened spear, catch arrows in mid-air, kill with one finger, these kind of real miracles are the product of many years of discipline to develop mental and physical power. Buddhism isn't about satisfying your desire for control over a world that seems out of control and uncertain. It deals with the initial desire and preconceptions themselves, and questions wether they are really appropriate and beneficial.

One monk in Vietnam doused himself in gasoline and set himself on fire to protest the war. That is the kind of "ordinary" mental power that really counts.

Anyway, that's my take on it, let's see what the oracle of google reveals...
----------------

"Now one must agree that miracles are useless because the supreme miracle you have not perceived..."
-Buddha

-------------

TO THE GREAT ILLUMINATED

To Him of the great Illumination came a pupil, seeking a miracle, "After the miracle, I shall have faith."

The Teacher smiled sadly and revealed to him a great miracle.

"Now," exclaimed the pupil, "I am ready to pass through the steps of the Teaching under thy guidance."

But the Teacher, pointing to the door, said: "Go! I no longer need you."

----------

There are countless miracles attributed to the Buddha and Buddhist saints, but I would hesitate to mention them, because I think they are mostly beside the point, even though some of them might be real. They really spice up a boring lecture, though. That's probably the real function of such stories, as well as the stained glass, vaulted cathedrals, intricate temples, the huge statuary, incense, and chanting.

Quoth the goddess:
They're all mind reading hypnotists who can fly with their eyes closed to Calcutta and heal lepers or crush diamond from coal.
Boring.

Gendanken

spidergoat said:
Buddha didn't need overt miracles to establish credibility, it would have invited skepticism like it does now, rather than faith.

Nobody who experiences a Miracle is skeptical of it.

And now tell me that if you had a choice between a Religion of Talk and Miracles, and a Religion of just Talk, which would you be less skeptical of?

Even when buying a used car, you are allowed a Test Drive. You honestly think that people can have more faith in just slick persuasion and salesmanship, which is what 99% of Popular Religion is, than in the Supernatural Demonstrated through the Miraculous?

Here is a big 'for instance': Portuagal in 1917 was dominated by Free Masons and Socialists who were about to outlaw the Catholic Church. They had a great deal of 'Enlightened' support, as Latin men think it is mocho to thumb their noses at the Church. Then there was the 6 month series of Apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima which culminated in the most spectacular Miracle in all of History: the Miracle of the Sun. It was witnessed not only by the 75,000 people gathered at Fatima, but over the surrounding 500 square miles. The Country became solidly Catholic, again. It was the Miraculous that provided the Faith.

And again, I truly believe that Buddhists who claim they have a philosophical problem with performing miracles are only latching onto a convenient excuse, saying that they choose not to do what they really know they cannot do. It is disingenuous and is as full of scheming as any sleavy New Age rap.

Enlightenment - What It Is and What It Isn't
With everything that’s been written about enlightenment, have you ever wondered what it would be like to know someone who is enlightened and living in the real world? Typical portrayals of enlightenment describe an otherworldish sort of character who turns heads everywhere he or she goes. Everyone would immediately notice the great profundity, serenity, and light radiating from the enlightened individual. Every utterance would be pearls of wisdom. Each glance would melt even the coldest of hearts.

Another curiosity about the state of enlightenment involves the notion of subtle or clairvoyant sight. It is sometimes considered to be analogous to a Fruit Loops cereal box or Juicy Fruit gum commercial with bright lights shooting through the room and hovering around people’s heads. Such a psychotic state can be and has been imposed upon people’s physiologies in the name of attaining enlightenment. This is horribly unfortunate. Even more regrettable is that once it is achieved, those individuals often start “healing schools” where they impose the same psychotic state upon their students. This, of course, takes the student further away from the attainment of enlightenment. True subtle sight is something very different. First of all, as the word describes, by its very nature the experience is subtle. It is not otherworldish or bizarre, though when experienced in its early stages, it does, for awhile, seem to be dramatic. But after a short time, it is completely natural and any drama is fully attributable to the fact that it was something new.

Preconceived notions about what enlightenment is like are as abundant as they are absurd. They include the idea that an enlightened person never gets angry, would never need glasses, never gets sick, never feels lonely or sad, and could even perform miracles. Let's for a moment dismiss all such notions as prerequisites to enlightenment. Consider the idea that it may be impossible to determine whether or not another person is enlightened. Let's assume that an enlightened individual can behave and appear as ordinary as you or I.

Here, another problem immediately arises: if enlightenment is that "normal," then what good is it? The point is that the state of enlightenment involves wakefulness on profoundly deep levels of being where individual awareness is commonly dormant. It is a level that lies beyond thoughts, emotions, and the physical body. Many may ask with all sincerity, "But what else is there besides thoughts, emotions, and the physical body?" What lies beyond is the grandeur, the true greatness of who it is and what it is we are. What is remarkable is not the state of enlightenment. What is remarkable is that so many people live their life unaware of that level of life.

Scientists theorize that the human mind is a quantum mechanical computer capable of maintaining awareness of the underlying basis of the entire universe which is the field of unfettered, unbounded consciousness - what modern physicists refer to as the Unified Field. When an individual's consciousness has become distracted or preoccupied by programmed modes of function, deeper awareness is obstructed. The state of enlightenment is quite simply a state of physiology when those cobwebs and distractions are sufficiently cleared so that the awareness can function naturally. That is to say, beyond the limitations of conditioned programming. This is an entirely physiological process. Enlightenment, then, can simply be thought of as normal life. Unfortunately, it's not ordinary, but it is the normal, healthy function of human awareness.

It has been said that the attainment of enlightenment is as elusive as traversing the razor's edge or moving through the eye of the needle. This speaks to the power our conditioned beliefs, thoughts, and emotional states have over us. By and large, we function of, by, for, and through those conditionings. The entire process is completely circular. Any knowledge we acquire is assimilated in terms of that conditioning. Anything that reinforces the conditioning is embraced; anything that questions it is rejected.

We live in a cognitively and behaviorally oriented society. Our approaches to spiritual growth, psychological health, and all fields of life are reduced to those orientations. If we have an intellectual understanding of something and if we behave in accordance with our idealized guidelines about that something, then we believe we are that something. If we read all about enlightenment, come to know everything that is said about it, and if we behave in a manner consistent with those beliefs, we have a tendency to believe we're actually enlightened. However, if you dress a pauper up to look like a king, he is still a pauper. There is a huge difference between knowing about and mimicking versus actually embodying enlightenment.

The methodology of the actual attainment of that state of awareness has essentially been lost to time. Esoteric teachings, meditation techniques, and spiritual practices, by and large, impose and reinforce a conditioned state of function. In contrast, enlightenment, i.e., spiritual liberation, is the state of liberation from all such conditioning. The art of facilitation of the cultivation of enlightenment is indeed as subtle and elusive as the nature of life itself. Though it can be understood as the state of freedom from conditioning, it must not be confused with an attitude of anarchy. The enlightened still function through conditioned precepts, but simultaneously see beyond those limitations. As it has been said, the trick is to have the boat in the water, but not have the water in the boat.

I heard about a rather heartless, but revealing study done at M.I.T. From birth, kittens were placed in a room painted with all horizontal lines. After several weeks, they were placed in a room with vertical lines. The kittens immediately flipped on their sides. Their awareness was conditioned to view the world only a certain way. The challenge is to ask yourself, "How is it that your awareness has been conditioned? How many of your emotional responses are conditioned responses? How much of your intellectual understanding of the world is simply conditioned? How much of what you believe to be your perception is, in actuality, your projection?"

Sometimes the notion of enlightenment is viewed as simply a state of "letting go and letting God." That's much easier said than done. It generally amounts to nothing other than holding onto the notion of letting go. Sometimes enlightenment is thought of as a state of nonattachment and freedom from desire. People then attempt to attain enlightenment by being attached to nothing and having no desires. They are sadly mistaken. The state of enlightenment has much more to do with awakening to a particular deep level of your being that is unattached and free from desire. It has nothing to do with the attempt to convince yourself on a personality level that you have no desires and are unattached. In the state of enlightenment, on the personality level, individuals can still prefer chocolate ice-cream to vanilla and still feel attached to their loved ones. They are simply awake to deeper levels of their being where they are eternally one with, and therefore not separate from, anyone or anything. On that level then, it is impossible to desire anything because you already have it. In fact, you already are it.

Throughout history, there have been some saints who behave in a fully unattached manner on the personality level of their being. Their devotees had to hit them with sticks so they wouldn't wander off into the jungle. They had to be force fed because they were "free from all desire," even the desire for food and sustenance. Let's assume for a moment they were awake at the deepest level of their being. Even if that were the case, they were still functioning in an unintegrated manner. Their personality was not functioning in a healthy way. They were living a dissociative state. Since they were, perhaps, awake to that deepest level of their being, one may choose to call them enlightened. Because the state is so unhealthy and unnatural, I prefer not to refer to it as enlightenment. But this is a matter of semantics. If someone were to insist these saints were enlightened because they were awake to that deepest level, I would offer no strong objection. What is most important to me is that the bigger picture is understood. A healthy state of enlightenment is an integrated state where people are awake to the deepest levels of existence, yet concurrently function quite naturally and appear perfectly normal around other people.

Some feel that dwelling within them is a black, damp, cavernous, bottomless void into which they could fall. They live their life clinging to, and identified with, their conditioned state as the only thing that keeps them safe and happy. The last thing they want to do is let go of that conditioning. Some of them believe that conditioning is the very thing that would enlighten them if only it could become more fully embraced and strengthened within them. The truth is entirely the opposite. It is not that a person has to abandon one's own philosophies and beliefs, but at the same time, it is true that one must become free of the grip those philosophies and beliefs have over oneself. When that occurs, there is no longer any need to cling. The black void within is then understood to be a cosmic cushion, upon which the psyche can rest.

© Michael Mamas, 12/04

Interesting, cosmicunraveler.

Even when buying a used car, you are allowed a Test Drive.
The analogy is inappropriate in this case, because the result of enlightenment is not the ability to do miracles.

You honestly think that people can have more faith in just slick persuasion and salesmanship, which is what 99% of Popular Religion is, than in the Supernatural Demonstrated through the Miraculous?
Why aren't miracles considered slick persuasion and salesmanship? It's not a popularity contest anyway, I couldn't care less if only .001% of the population took up Zen, or Taoism, or Buddhism, as long as the ones who did are sincere. The sideshow carny audience don't make the best students. Modern miracles like the milk-drinking ganesh statue are seen with some skepticism, just google it. Some are undoubtably the result of mass hysteria.

I suspect that some(I don't know how many) are born with a spiritual past and
some(I don't know how many) have a guardian spirit that intercedes for them.

With those unseen factors it would be very hard to assess how much the things
observed/done by humans impact enlightenment. I think it pays to seek help
from a higher entity(s).

We do have the baggage of all human culture that preceded us, you could call that a spiritual past, or spiritual inertia, or karma.

I think it pays to seek help from a higher entity(s).
I pray to Bob Marley every day.

But, seriously, if your own efforts or virtue don't count for anything Buddhism would be a waste of time. Isn't that like Calvinism or something? ...that you are picked for saving and what you do in life doesn't count for much?

spidergoat: We do have the baggage of all human culture that preceded us, you could call that a spiritual past, or spiritual inertia, or karma.
M*W: I call it "genetic memory."

cosmictraveler said:
Throughout history, there have been some saints who behave in a fully unattached manner on the personality level of their being. Their devotees had to hit them with sticks so they wouldn't wander off into the jungle. They had to be force fed because they were "free from all desire," even the desire for food and sustenance. Let's assume for a moment they were awake at the deepest level of their being. Even if that were the case, they were still functioning in an unintegrated manner. Their personality was not functioning in a healthy way. They were living a dissociative state. Since they were, perhaps, awake to that deepest level of their being, one may choose to call them enlightened. Because the state is so unhealthy and unnatural, I prefer not to refer to it as enlightenment. But this is a matter of semantics. If someone were to insist these saints were enlightened because they were awake to that deepest level, I would offer no strong objection. What is most important to me is that the bigger picture is understood. A healthy state of enlightenment is an integrated state where people are awake to the deepest levels of existence, yet concurrently function quite naturally and appear perfectly normal around other people.
© Michael Mamas, 12/04

What if this Enlightened State were something of an upsidedown pyramid in which the life in the body and the world were the tiny dot of the apex now at the bottom, and that everything gets bigger and greater as it goes up above. In such a perspective your insistance that the Enlightened Individual must remain coherent and continue to wear clean shirts, becomes a ridiculous misapplication of priorities. It also seems stodgy and prudish. You would begrudge a man the Ultimate Experience if he can't do it while sitting up straight and not spill his tea in his sauser.

Last edited:
Buddha knew he reached enlightenment when he was self-realized. It wasn't a thought or an action. He realized the simplicity of it all. He realized he was there all along. Just as you and I are. Once we by-pass the ignorance and illusion of our ego based worlds we, too, will realize the futility of our path and understand we have been "HERE" all the time. He didn't teach others to be buddhas, they just came to the realization that they were. It is beyond what you know, think, or can do.

The REALITY is.....'Buddha' becomes THe god. becoming more and more distanced from the people. they are disenfranchized by all the hoo haar about how great he was/is.....all the struggle, all the awakening, bla bla.

then you get his FOLLOWERS...sheeeeesh. dont asssk. i have communed with a good cross section of them in my time at forums. the last few were extremely abusive if their religion was challenged, and by the very MENTION of hallucinogenic experience...(competition?)

Many wannabe Buddhas meditate meditate meditate, don't they. so that they TOO will acquire eventual release from the 'wheel of birth and death'...? that is patriarchal idealism. the desire to escape the changing Nature which the patriarchy associate with Goddess, and the female who births the 'male' into this world

I always think it important you look at the roots of beliefs. For as you know it was the MALe 'enl;ightenment' that was important to Buddhism.

What i LOVe about hallucinogens is their equality. ANYone can try them. they don't have to be intimidated that 'it takes years and years to gain 'enlightenment...of LIFTIMES, etc...and you have to do abcdefgetc'....No, you just EAT THIS....buboom, there.......good huh?

i love REAL people. real people are very interesting and real and human and all have a story to tell. sure if Buddha wants to meditate all the hours of his live and then get some kinda climax, good for him, but that is him. don't put down the rest of humanity cause theys just livin their own unique lives....!

Leo,
Being coherent, wearing clean shirts, sitting up straight, and drinking tea are all ultimate experiences, but you want the supernatural instead. I would say you take normal existence for granted, and don't appreciate the miracle we call the ordinary.

(Not to say that your idea isn't interesting, that we are only the visible projections of a being that exists in many dimensions, like the tip of an iceberg.)

Back