How come we have 46 chromosomes and other primates have 48?

lcat:

Thanks for the credible information. And welcome to Sciforums. Your posting will be over the heads of many, but I found it useful to fill in some gaps.

If you have information on the creation of centromeres [from insertion sources, etc.] that would be of interest to me. Also, are there other inactivated centromeres in the human lineage, other than the one in chromosome 2 [the one that is joined from the two separate chromosomes in the other primates]? If so, I would presume they are present in those chromosome counterparts in the other primates? Are the 'neocentromeres' inactivated former centromeres from joining of chromosomes in distant ancestors? If so, how far back in our ancestry for each one? [Tough question!]

My own area of specific interest is in the morphological evolution of the archegonium, but there is currently not much genetic information available on that. Just like Noah, most biologists seem to tend to focus on animals rather than plants, though I hope to see that change.

Last edited:
Back