How a muslim sympathizes with islamist terrorists.

DoctorNO

Ultra Electro Agnostic
Registered Senior Member
From http://forum.bismikaallahuma.org/viewtopic.php?p=37835#37835

Shamim said:
Shamim,
Much of the anologies you posted are flawed and self-contradictory. Like take this for example:

What do you call someone who explodes a bomb and kills innocent people?
A terrorist.
What do you call someone who drops a bomb from a plane and kills
innocent people?
A brave American pilot.

The 'someone' in the first question had the evil intention of killing innocent people.

The 'someone' in the second question only intends to destroy military targets, not the innocent civilians.

----actually the second "someone" is much much more guilty, the first "someone" only resorted to killing innocents after they have been oppressed and/or their innocents were killed and/or they were occupied and/or injustice were done to them by the 2nd " someone". In most cases, the 1st "someone" made peaceful complains/warnings many a times but the 2nd "someone" never listened and instead continued oppression. Finding no other peaceful alternative the 1st "someone" started killing. So in a nutshell, if no injustice/oppression/killing done by the 2nd "someone' in the first place there would've been no killing by the 1st "someone".

Sorry, the 2nd "someone" doesn't only target military, in many cases they knowingly target civilian and victims and then come up with the excuse of some stupid terms like "colatteral damage".

I think the above is a fine example of a muslim reasoning why most muslims would rather blame everybody else than make fatwas against islamist terrorists. They think we made lives miserable for them and they are left with no choice but to blow us in malls, schools, office buildings, and disco clubs.

What do you think?

I think you're just making pathetic excuses for Americans and other allegedly "civilized" nations.

Do we tell battered wives to just go home and be patient? Do we tell rape survivors to seek out their attackers and offer them another one? Do we tell Americans to bare their chests and wait for the terrorists to come and hit us again?

Why on earth would you ask such a condition of Muslims?

I think it very hateful to ask a people to tolerate the kind of violence and exploitation that nobody else in the world is expected to tolerate.

Why is it that so many haters like Dr. No and others would ask everyday Muslims to become bloodthirsty extremists (thereby violating their religion) in order for the haters to respect them? Why is it that haters like Dr. No only seem to like hypocrisy? Seriously, it's not just to ask victims of massive oppression to sit back and take it.

The real problem comes when American policies victimize civilians in order to increase American wealth. People think it horrible to blow up a child, but starving one to death is not only acceptable to Americans, but something they regularly demand. Otherwise gas prices go up too high, and people have to consider public transportation or carpooling. And damn it, nonwhite children in other countries just aren't valuable enough as human beings; the indignity of riding a city bus is a greater violation of decency and rights, in the opinion of most of my American neighbors.

And remember, Al Qaeda? It's what Americans wanted. We raised this spectre, we endorsed the Taleban, we helped make Osama bin Laden revered by many as a voice against American oppression. So instead of hating Muslims for not violating their religion in order to satisfy you, perhaps you ought to go down to a local library, read some history regarding Iran, Iraq, the establishment of modern Israel, and also American history. We treat Muslims abroad as if they're rocks or ants or weeds, something we can just spray or bulldoze aside.

I would have preferred that they hit the White House and Pentagon, instead of the World Trade Center, but there's a reason my initial reaction on 9/11 was to say, "Well, somebody finally went and did it."

In retrospect, I'm surprised it took them as long as it did. And no, I don't have a whole lot of hostility for those around the world that cheered; hell, we daily praise the murders of children in this country. As ghoulish as it seems to cheer the deaths of 2,700+ people in a terrorist strike, we're a country that huddles 'round CNN to watch the pretty lights and munch on microwave popcorn every time the U.S. decides to go to war. So, no, seeing people in Palestine or elsewhere cheering the destruction of the towers didn't bother me the way it did my thin-skinned, whining, greedy neighbors.

I think you ought to do some reading, some thinking, and some learning, Dr. No.

tiassa said:
I think you're just making pathetic excuses for Americans and other allegedly "civilized" nations.
What excuses?

tiassa said:
What condition?

tiassa said:
Why is it that so many haters like Dr. No and others would ask everyday Muslims to become bloodthirsty extremists (thereby violating their religion) in order for the haters to respect them?
What questions?

tiassa said:
Why is it that haters like Dr. No only seem to like hypocrisy?
Hypocrisy is not practicing what you preach. What am I preaching that I am not practicing?

tiassa said:
Seriously, it's not just to ask victims of massive oppression to sit back and take it.
Assuming that there are massive oppressions that are uncalled for and have singled them, Are you saying that victims of massive oppression are justified in making a terrorist attack?

tiassa said:
The real problem comes when American policies victimize civilians in order to increase American wealth. People think it horrible to blow up a child, but starving one to death is not only acceptable to Americans, but something they regularly demand. Otherwise gas prices go up too high, and people have to consider public transportation or carpooling. And damn it, nonwhite children in other countries just aren't valuable enough as human beings; the indignity of riding a city bus is a greater violation of decency and rights, in the opinion of most of my American neighbors.
I would love to discuss this with you but this is simply not the thread for it.

tiassa said:
And remember, Al Qaeda? It's what Americans wanted. We raised this spectre, we endorsed the Taleban, we helped make Osama bin Laden revered by many as a voice against American oppression. So instead of hating Muslims for not violating their religion in order to satisfy you, perhaps you ought to go down to a local library, read some history regarding Iran, Iraq, the establishment of modern Israel, and also American history. We treat Muslims abroad as if they're rocks or ants or weeds, something we can just spray or bulldoze aside.
I already did. But for you I suggest you read the entire history of muslims, the teachings of their prophet and the deeds of their prophets. How they used excessive use of force on an entire populace for the sins of the very few. You do that and then you come to me.

tiassa said:
I would have preferred that they hit the White House and Pentagon, instead of the World Trade Center, but there's a reason my initial reaction on 9/11 was to say, "Well, somebody finally went and did it."
Are you sympathizing with the 9/11 terrorists?

tiassa said:
So, no, seeing people in Palestine or elsewhere cheering the destruction of the towers didn't bother me the way it did my thin-skinned, whining, greedy neighbors.
maybe because deep inside you cheered as well.

Dr. No said:

What excuses?

Well, there's this:

I think the above is a fine example of a muslim reasoning why most muslims would rather blame everybody else than make fatwas against islamist terrorists. They think we made lives miserable for them and they are left with no choice but to blow us in malls, schools, office buildings, and disco clubs.

Your position inherently pretends that Muslims today created the conditions which motivate them to diverse action, including those that splinter off into terrorism, without any help.

It overlooks the explicit Western decision that the Arab world was theirs for the plundering; it overlooks the tampering we did in Iran on behalf of the Shah; it overlooks our political and material support of the displacement of Palestinians; it overlooks our open support of Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

In order to maintain the "American standard of living", we need large numbers of people in our own country and abroad to live in poverty, often devastating poverty. In order to maintain that standard of living, our government has repeatedly supported dictators against legitimate movements of the people. In order to maintain that standard of living, we raised the Taleban and Osama bin Laden.

In any of these behaviors, American political and economic power is recognized at the foremost common factor, as well as the military policies that support the political and economic priorities.

Wars, murders, starvation, rapes--as long as it's not "Americans" doing it, we in the U.S. tend to play Pilate. Resentment among the suffering builds, and at some point someone gets really pissed off and goes and does something rash.

This country is founded on genocide; its economy depends on stratification and cutthroat competition. Money is the most important thing in these United States, and we are, as a nation, willing to hurt anyone in order to get it.

And yet someone like the President of the United States wonders "why 'they' hate us"?

It's pretty damn clear if you pay attention to history. Doesn't make any of it right, but pretending there's a mystery about it only sinks the situation deeper into the mire.

What condition?

Poverty? Oppression? We Americans demand that other people around the world suffer these things we claim to find abhorrent.

Hypocrisy is not practicing what you preach. What am I preaching that I am not practicing?

Read the post again:

Tiassa said:
I think it very hateful to ask a people to tolerate the kind of violence and exploitation that nobody else in the world is expected to tolerate.

Why is it that so many haters like Dr. No and others would ask everyday Muslims to become bloodthirsty extremists (thereby violating their religion) in order for the haters to respect them? Why is it that haters like Dr. No only seem to like hypocrisy? Seriously, it's not just to ask victims of massive oppression to sit back and take it.

You make the argument that a religion of peace ought to become bloodthirsty in order to prove itself a religion of peace. You will not be satisfied until others behave hypocritically in order to justify your assertion. Additionally, compared to the material you cited, there is a conflict in how you assign the obligations of peace and violence. You seem to detest the violence yet you seem to call for more violence. Your only criteria seems to be that Arabs and Muslims should suffer while Americans should not.

Unfortunately, solving the problem so that nobody has to suffer includes the necessity of giving some respect to legitimate arguments coming from the Muslim world. This is something you are thus far unwilling to do. All you seem to ask for is a transfer of the violence so that only Arabs and Muslims suffer.

Dr. No said:

Assuming that there are massive oppressions that are uncalled for and have singled them, Are you saying that victims of massive oppression are justified in making a terrorist attack?

"Terrorism" used to be separate from warfare inasmuch as one targets civilians and one aims at government and military goals.

It seems simple enough:

Tiassa said:

I would have preferred that they hit the White House and Pentagon, instead of the World Trade Center

The White House is a legitimate target. The Pentagon is a legitimate target. The World Trade Center was not.

Dr. No said:

How "convenient" that the counterpoint to your objection is irrelevant to the thread.

I already did.

Does that mean you endorse the policies of the United States in Iran? Iraq? Afghanistan? Do you support the overthrow of a Prime Minister elected by the people? The support and assistance to a dictator using unconventional weapons against his own people as well as his international neighbors? How about the endorsement and material support of a fundamentalist group that supports terrorism and routinely commits crimes against humanity?

Tell me what you think of Schwarzkopf helping topple Mossadegh in favor of Pahlavi, Rumsfeld assisting Saddam Hussein, or successive administrations coddling the Taleban. Please. I'd love to read your opinion.

But for you I suggest you read the entire history of muslims, the teachings of their prophet and the deeds of their prophets. How they used excessive use of force on an entire populace for the sins of the very few.

So ... Muslims are horrible people because they acted like everyone else and failed to find the magic key to transcension?

You do that and then you come to me.

Don't take that tone with me, boy. You're the one posting unsubstantiated hate.

No. I'm sympathizing with the victims of American oppression abroad.

maybe because deep inside you cheered as well.

Couldn't cheer, not even for the Pentagon. There's always the people on the airplanes to consider, you know.

Here, I'll save you a walk to the library for today. Just try these links. They're fairly simple, but that seems to be what you prefer.

• Richman, Sheldon L. "Cato Policy Analysis #159 - 'Ancient History": U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Interventionism". Cato Institute, August 16, 1991. See http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-159.html
• Sculte, Elizabeth. "The politics of oil". GreenLeft Weekly, October 30, 2002. See http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/2002/514/514p17.htm
• New York Times. "Secrets of History: The CIA in Iran". See http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/mideast/041600iran-cia-index.html
• Scahill, Jeremy. "The Saddam in Rumsfeld's Closet". CommonDreams.org, August 2, 2002. See http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0802-01.htm

tiassa said:
Your position inherently pretends that Muslims today created the conditions which motivate them to diverse action, including those that splinter off into terrorism, without any help.
tiassa, you are mistaken in your assumption & analysis. My position is that it would be advisable for muslims to stop putting all the blame on us, for as I have always said, the troubles of the world is everybody’s fault.

tiassa said:
It overlooks the explicit Western decision that the Arab world was theirs for the plundering;
In the past. But we no longer live in the past. All the colonies have been freed decades ago and all trades & enterprises were made in mutual agreements. Today the fruits of the Arab world is something that everybody enjoys, not just the west.

tiassa said:
it overlooks the tampering we did in Iran on behalf of the Shah;
You said it, on behalf of the Shah. So why do they blame us instead of the Shahs which still enjoy power in Iran?

tiassa said:
it overlooks our political and material support of the displacement of Palestinians;
The huge majority of the refugees came from the 1947 war when the Arab generals advised the Arabs to abandon their lands to give way for the Arab war machine who promised to drive the Jews into the sea. Now there were some cases wherein the Israeli army forcefully drove away arabs. So American participation there was indirect and unintentional.

tiassa said:
it overlooks our open support of Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Well back then he was a good guy. And when he began to show his true colors the west was already deeply involved with him politically & economically.

tiassa said:
In order to maintain the "American standard of living", we need large numbers of people in our own country and abroad to live in poverty, often devastating poverty. In order to maintain that standard of living, our government has repeatedly supported dictators against legitimate movements of the people.
Isnt your personal view a little bit extreme? Sweepingly blaming the wealthy for the sins of a few rich men? Not everyone made their money by employing children in clothes factories. Not everyone had cheated company stocks. Not everyone made money from swindling life savings from poor trusting people. Those that are discovered are convicted, imprisoned and fined.

America had been doing well even before the age of international trade agreements. Many super rich people today were made from honest & legal ingenuity. Like Bill Gates, who is made richer every time you buy a computer. And the owner of wallmart. And the pop stars. And hollywood. And the software makers. Such people should not be included in your accusations. They have no way of forcing people into poverty.

tiassa said:
In order to maintain that standard of living, we raised the Taleban and Osama bin Laden.
What??? The bin laden that America raised was the bin laden who led freedom fighters against the Russian invasion. He was a good guy then. And all this was in the name of maintaining freedom. Something that even muslims want. That the man changed his colors can hardly be blamed on us.

tiassa said:
In any of these behaviors, American political and economic power is recognized at the foremost common factor, as well as the military policies that support the political and economic priorities.
Now how is it that my postings qualify as a “pathetic excuse” for Americans and other civilized nations? Eh?

tiassa said:
Wars, murders, starvation, rapes--as long as it's not "Americans" doing it, we in the U.S. tend to play Pilate.
SO? I am not an American but I have never once thought it is your obligation to help my ailing country of origin. No, we Filipinos know that it is the nature of our culture that failed us.

tiassa said:
Resentment among the suffering builds, and at some point someone gets really pissed off and goes and does something rash.
There are more than 4 billion people suffering today and yet the huge majority of terrorisms are committed by islamists. How do you reconcile that fact?

tiassa said:
This country is founded on genocide; its economy depends on stratification and cutthroat competition. Money is the most important thing in these United States, and we are, as a nation, willing to hurt anyone in order to get it.
Almost every major nation has genocide in its founding history. Money is the most important thing for almost everybody. But tiassa, how the hell could you make blanket statements against your own countrymen and accuse them of a 'willingness to hurt anyone' for the sake of money??? I think thats hate radiating from you. And you have the guts to call me ‘hateful’. Lady, I am not more hateful than you are. At least my hate is confined to an idealogy, not on actual people.

tiassa said:
What condition?
Poverty? Oppression? We Americans demand that other people around the world suffer these things we claim to find abhorrent.
Well it could be anyone but DoctorNO, tiassa. IT WASN’T AINT ME (as you alleged)! :D

tiassa said:
You make the argument that a religion of peace ought to become bloodthirsty in order to prove itself a religion of peace.
What the hell did I ever say that gave that idea??? :eek: WTF!!! :confused: Sh.it. Tiassa, with all sincerity I DON’T THINK OR TALK LIKE THAT!!! On the contrary what I have always argued is that a religion characterized by bloodthirstiness could not be classified as a religion of peace. On the contrary I give some support to quran-only muslims because I see the absence of bloodthirstiness in those people. And I can prove that.

tiassa said:
Additionally, compared to the material you cited, there is a conflict in how you assign the obligations of peace and violence. You seem to detest the violence yet you seem to call for more violence. Your only criteria seems to be that Arabs and Muslims should suffer while Americans should not.

Unfortunately, solving the problem so that nobody has to suffer includes the necessity of giving some respect to legitimate arguments coming from the Muslim world. This is something you are thus far unwilling to do. All you seem to ask for is a transfer of the violence so that only Arabs and Muslims suffer.

Oh mama. Tiassa, you should really try to know me better. That monster you have described is not the DoctorNO that people had come to know. Honest, even my muslim debate opponents have said no such thing against me.

tiassa said:
The White House is a legitimate target. The Pentagon is a legitimate target. The World Trade Center was not.
In the case of a state of war. But there was no war. Only states are in the position of declaring wars. So Palestinians are justified in blowing up Israeli solidiers but alqaida can find no political or ethical justifications in blowing up American soldiers.

tiassa said:
How "convenient" that the counterpoint to your objection is irrelevant to the thread.
LOL! Im really such a sucker for those kinds of comments. So here goes. LOL!

I think you are referring to the 10 yr sanction against Iraq. But wait, you are generalizing the non-white (NW) non-american (NA) population of the earth. So are you referring to iraq or are you referring to every nations of NW NA who had social, political & economic relations with the U.S.? If it is the latter then can you please explain to us how the Chinese, the Mexicans, the Japanese and the Saudi Arabian CIVILIANS are victimized by the US.

tiassa said:
Does that mean you endorse the policies of the United States in Iran? Iraq? Afghanistan?
Tiassa you only asked me about the histories of Iran, Iraq, Israel & the US, not political policies!

tiassa said:
Do you support the overthrow of a Prime Minister elected by the people?
Depends.

tiassa said:
The support and assistance to a dictator using unconventional weapons against his own people as well as his international neighbors?
Nope. But you should realize that the reality of what happened was not as simple as what you just stated. It is evident that the US found about these things too late. And the difficulties of investigating & confirming the reports.

tiassa said:
How about the endorsement and material support of a fundamentalist group that supports terrorism and routinely commits crimes against humanity?
of course not.

tiassa said:
Tell me what you think of Schwarzkopf helping topple Mossadegh in favor of Pahlavi, Rumsfeld assisting Saddam Hussein, or successive administrations coddling the Taleban. Please. I'd love to read your opinion
As I said earlier Saddam was initially a good guy. So the US was very much justified then. The other issue is a bit complicated and Im not sure what to think of that yet. You should know that I don’t think that US policies are perfect but I think they are balanced to the best of their ability. A very good thing for a superpower. I doubt youll find another power better than that. You should really learn to appreciate what we have. What we have is great. Its good to criticize it every once in a while but it is completely unfair to demonize it just because they are not the saviors you dream them to be.

tiassa said:
So ... Muslims are horrible people because they acted like everyone else and failed to find the magic key to transcension?
No, muslims, among all the people, tend to over react violently because it is prescribed in their religion as exemplified by their prophet. They tend to rebel against non-muslim rule at the slightest mistreatment because they are conditioned to rule and not be ruled over, and that they suspiciously view non-muslims with religious convictions.

tiassa said:
Don't take that tone with me, boy. You're the one posting unsubstantiated hate.
Oops sorry granma. Aw c’mon tiassa, I was just trying to mimic your tone. C’mon give me a smile.

Unsubstantiated hate? *sigh* the way you misunderstood me as is displayed in this thread is unsubstantiated. Oh bats, of all the posters I have encountered how could it be you who saw me so differently. You were supposed to be better than that.

tiassa said:
Here, I'll save you a walk to the library for today. Just try these links. They're fairly simple, but that seems to be what you prefer.

• Richman, Sheldon L. "Cato Policy Analysis #159 - 'Ancient History": U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Interventionism". Cato Institute, August 16, 1991. See http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-159.html
• Sculte, Elizabeth. "The politics of oil". GreenLeft Weekly, October 30, 2002. See http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/2002/514/514p17.htm
• New York Times. "Secrets of History: The CIA in Iran". See http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/mideast/041600iran-cia-index.html
• Scahill, Jeremy. "The Saddam in Rumsfeld's Closet". CommonDreams.org, August 2, 2002. See http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0802-01.htm

Gee thanks!!! That will do me for the rest of the night!

Last edited:
DoctorNO

DoctorNO said:

What do you think?
Sigh...

You really have no idea do you? Lets break down the post you quoted.

actually the second "someone" is much much more guilty, the first "someone" only resorted to killing innocents after they have been oppressed and/or their innocents were killed and/or they were occupied and/or injustice were done to them by the 2nd " someone".
How is that blaming everybody else? You're resentful that they blame the West for the position that they are in? Why shouldn't they? Do you have any idea of the West's actions in the Middle East? Remember the West's occupation of the Middle East after WWII and their interference when led to the Middle East being what it is today and Arabs being who they are today? I'm guessing you have either ignored it or conveniently forgotten to suit your own purposes and to atone yourself of your hatred. But to make it easier for you, I'd like you to think back to the actions of the US in the Middle East over the last 50 years. And then come back and read that quote again and try to understand. I'll even give you some easy starter points.

1. The support and funding of the State of Isreal who in turn have dispossessed thousands of Palestinians of their lands. The ignoring of the plight of the Palestinians in Isreal's acts of genocide. The arming and funding of Isreal to help them commit genocide. I'll even define what constitutes genocide and highlight the subsections that would apply to this issue to help you understand.

(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group ;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
Article 2, Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.

2. US foreign policy which supported the regimes that then went onto oppressing and killing thousands, if not millions of Arabs. Think Saddam and the Taliban. US policy which welcomed and helped Osama in his Mujahideen against the Russians in Afghanistan. A short story of US involvement in Afghanistan.

3. The occupation of Muslim lands after the first Gulf War, when America charged in solely for the concern of their oil.

4. The sanctions against Iraq that resulted in the deaths of approximately 500,000 children.
UNICEF, in a widely-publicised study carried out jointly with the Iraq Ministry of Health, determined that 500,000 children under five years old had died in “excess” numbers in Iraq between 1991 and 1998, though UNICEF insisted that this number could not all be ascribed directly to sanctions. (119) UNICEF used surveys of its own as part of the basic research and involved respected outside experts in designing the study and evaluating the data. UNICEF remains confident in the accuracy of its numbers and points out that they have never been subject to a scientific challenge.

Prof. Richard Garfield of Columbia University carried out a separate and well-regarded study of excess mortality in Iraq. Garfield considered the same age group and the same time period as the UNICEF study. He minimized reliance on official Iraqi statistics by using many different statistical sources, including independent surveys in Iraq and inferences from comparative public health data from other countries. Garfield concluded that there had been a minimum of 100,000 excess deaths and that the more likely number was 227,000. He compared this estimate to a maximum estimate of 66,663 civilian and military deaths during the Gulf War. Garfield now thinks the most probable number of deaths of under-five children from August 1991 to June 2002 would be about 400,000.

There are no reliable estimates of the total number of excess deaths in Iraq beyond the under-five population. Even with conservative assumptions, though, the total of all excess deaths must be far above 400,000.
http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/sanction/iraq1/2002/paper.htm#5

Shall I go on? Do you see where I'm going with this now? There's a lot more in between and after the points I have given you, but I'm sure that you have the capacity to read up on it yourself. Now put yourself in anyone of the points I posted above and you tell me how you'd react. After 50 years of such oppression, how would you react?

DoctorNO said:
In most cases, the 1st "someone" made peaceful complains/warnings many a times but the 2nd "someone" never listened and instead continued oppression. Finding no other peaceful alternative the 1st "someone" started killing. So in a nutshell, if no injustice/oppression/killing done by the 2nd "someone' in the first place there would've been no killing by the 1st "someone".
And he's correct. Peaceful complaints were made for nearly 50 years and were ignored. Now imagine yourself after 50 years of oppression where your voice is never heard or is ignored or is put down with another attack, what would you resort to? Desperate situations that have led to desperate means. Do I condone the attacks on 9/11? No I do not. But at least I've got an understanding as to why it may have occured.

DoctorNO said:
You condone the destruction of a religion that is an inherent part of a whole section of civilisation. The destruction of said religion would result in the destruction of said section of civilisation. You advocate the destruction of a whole lot of people DoctorNO. I'd say that is hypocritical, wouldn't you when one considers the reasons you cite for said destruction?

DoctorNO said:
And if these terrorist attacks are the only way for the oppressed to defend themselves? Or would you have found it more acceptable that they sit back and let it continue until the end of time? Terrorism is born of people who are fighting back with the only means available to them DoctorNO. Just imagine how desperate someone would have to be before they strap a bomb to themselves or feel that they have to fly a plane into a building as a form of defence. The Muslims were not the first to commit acts of terrorism DoctorNO, and sadly, judging by the way that the West interferes in the politics and policies of other States (Muslim and non-Muslim), they will not be the last to commit them either. I shudder to think of all the people that the West have oppressed in the past and present DoctorNO, Muslim and non-Muslim, and what will happen when they get desperate enough.

DoctorNO said:
To quote Tiassa, how "convenient". People such as yourself and the Bush's of the world are only willing to look at the events themselves and lay blame on others. Any suggestion that you look into yourself to find the cause of the events is avoided because, however you may way you look at it, you know that the blame ultimately falls at your feet.

DoctorNO said:
I already did. But for you I suggest you read the entire history of muslims, the teachings of their prophet and the deeds of their prophets. How they used excessive use of force on an entire populace for the sins of the very few. You do that and then you come to me.
Ah this again. DoctorNO, do you have any idea of the atrocities committed in the name of God by Christians? You keep ranting that the Prophet advocates such killing, etc. You've used it as a shield so often and it keeps backfiring on you because you fail to realise that the bible also advocates such killings in telling the stories of abhorrent crimes committed against innocent people by not only figures Christians revere as Saints, but also by God himself/herself. You remember when you were wondering about hypocrisy? Well this would also apply.

There's a difference between cheering and understanding the reasons as to why it occured. You cheer about the destruction of Islam, which would lead to the destruction of millions of people. What does that make you?

Last edited:
Bells said:
How is that blaming everybody else? You're resentful that they blame the West for the position that they are in? Why shouldn't they?
Well the guy said “much much more guilty”. The fighter pilot who only followed orders of bombing a military target.

I am resentful because they put all the blame on us instead of sharing the blame with the terrorists who wants to kill you and your loved ones.

Bells said:
Do you have any idea of the West's actions in the Middle East? Remember the West's occupation of the Middle East after WWII and their interference when led to the Middle East being what it is today and Arabs being who they are today? I'm guessing you have either ignored it or conveniently forgotten to suit your own purposes and to atone yourself of your hatred. But to make it easier for you, I'd like you to think back to the actions of the US in the Middle East over the last 50 years. And then come back and read that quote again and try to understand. I'll even give you some easy starter points.
Oh I remember, after freeing the unhappy arab states from Turkish rule the west trained each of these states for self rule. They love that idea at that time.

But the west aint perfect and the increasing anti-semitism made Palestinia a twice promised land. What would YOU have done if you were in control? I think I’ll do the same thing.
Bells said:
1. The support and funding of the State of Isreal who in turn have dispossessed thousands of Palestinians of their lands. The ignoring of the plight of the Palestinians in Isreal's acts of genocide. The arming and funding of Isreal to help them commit genocide. I'll even define what constitutes genocide and highlight the subsections that would apply to this issue to help you understand.
Err bells, the Palestinians became dispossessed because thousands of them willingly abandoned their lands at the advice of their military leaders trusting a swift sweep of the jews into the sea.

Bells said:
2. US foreign policy which supported the regimes that then went onto oppressing and killing thousands, if not millions of Arabs. Think Saddam and the Taliban. US policy which welcomed and helped Osama in his Mujahideen against the Russians in Afghanistan. A short story of US involvement in Afghanistan.
Do you think it was wrong to support Osama against the Russians? Was Osama oppressing fellow muslims then? When the US first made a deal with Saddam was he oppressing fellow muslims then?

Bells said:
3. The occupation of Muslim lands after the first Gulf War, when America charged in solely for the concern of their oil.
This was a mutual agreement between America and the arab states involved. Both benefited there. Was it wrong?

Bells said:
4. The sanctions against Iraq that resulted in the deaths of approximately 500,000 children.
Led by the US but blessed by the rest of the world. Why, do you have a better idea?

Bells said:
Shall I go on? Do you see where I'm going with this now? There's a lot more in between and after the points I have given you, but I'm sure that you have the capacity to read up on it yourself. Now put yourself in anyone of the points I posted above and you tell me how you'd react. After 50 years of such oppression, how would you react?
The way Gandhi did. If I was Saddam I would have opened my doors and say “HERE YA GO YOU ARE FREE TO CHECK EVEN MY KITCHEN SINK AND DISARM ME AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. NOW REMOVE THE BLOCKADE!” If I was the Palestinians I would stop all terroristic activities for 2 whole years and give peace a chance. If that doesn’t work then you truly cannot blame us. If I were the arab countries I would have admitted and absorbed the refugees. After all the number of oppressed jews who fled from these muslim nations approximates to the number of Palestinian refugees.

Bells said:
And he's correct. Peaceful complaints were made for nearly 50 years and were ignored. Now imagine yourself after 50 years of oppression where your voice is never heard or is ignored or is put down with another attack, what would you resort to? Desperate situations that have led to desperate means. Do I condone the attacks on 9/11? No I do not. But at least I've got an understanding as to why it may have occured.
when was the period of that 50 years? What I know is that the last 50 years was marked by continuous bombings. And were the complaints reasonable? Or do they demand an instant withdrawal just like a snap? Do they demand that all jews be expelled from the mid east? Remember that the other arab states are still technically at war with Israel. Before the occupation the Palestinians worked against Israel.

SEE BELLS NOTHING IS SIMPLE IN THE MID EAST. EVERYONE IS TO BLAME! That is all Im trying to say. Blame everyone, not just the west. Make fatwas against terrorists too. Make fatwas against bin laden. Make fatwas against every terrorist leader. But instead they make death fatwas against poets and novelists.

Bells said:
You condone the destruction of a religion that is an inherent part of a whole section of civilisation. The destruction of said religion would result in the destruction of said section of civilisation. You advocate the destruction of a whole lot of people DoctorNO. I'd say that is hypocritical, wouldn't you when one considers the reasons you cite for said destruction?
That is just you hypothesis. My theory is exactly the opposite. If muslims would convert into other religions the arab world would heal. Because they would no longer have to suppress their women, their minorities and they would no longer be chopping off hands and heads.

Do you think Im a hypocrite? Please be more specific.

Bells said:
And if these terrorist attacks are the only way for the oppressed to defend themselves? Or would you have found it more acceptable that they sit back and let it continue until the end of time? Terrorism is born of people who are fighting back with the only means available to them DoctorNO. Just imagine how desperate someone would have to be before they strap a bomb to themselves or feel that they have to fly a plane into a building as a form of defence. The Muslims were not the first to commit acts of terrorism DoctorNO, and sadly, judging by the way that the West interferes in the politics and policies of other States (Muslim and non-Muslim), they will not be the last to commit them either. I shudder to think of all the people that the West have oppressed in the past and present DoctorNO, Muslim and non-Muslim, and what will happen when they get desperate enough.
So for you its better to murder a civilian when the rulers of that civilian are keeping you sad.

I think I will just sit back or make peaceful protests. Afterall it worked for the early Christians, it worked for Gandhi, it worked for Martin Luther King, it worked for the Christians & Jews under communist Russia. It worked for the American Indians. It worked for the French Canadians. It worked for the Filipinos in the bloodless revolutions.

Eh? :)

Bells said:
To quote Tiassa, how "convenient". People such as yourself and the Bush's of the world are only willing to look at the events themselves and lay blame on others. Any suggestion that you look into yourself to find the cause of the events is avoided because, however you may way you look at it, you know that the blame ultimately falls at your feet.
Not so fast, bells. You should know by now that I’m a lot tougher than being disproved on a first counter reply.

Look at me, I don’t jump in to conclusions against a debate opponent.

Bells said:
Ah this again. DoctorNO, do you have any idea of the atrocities committed in the name of God by Christians? You keep ranting that the Prophet advocates such killing, etc. You've used it as a shield so often and it keeps backfiring on you because you fail to realise that the bible also advocates such killings in telling the stories of abhorrent crimes committed against innocent people by not only figures Christians revere as Saints, but also by God himself/herself. You remember when you were wondering about hypocrisy? Well this would also apply.
Ah that reply again. Bells how many times should I tell you that there is nothing in the bible that has been used to justify their crimes? Look at Jesus and compare him with Mohammad. Now remember the old saying “follow the leader”.

Bells, please quit nagging me! Im late for bed!

Bells said:
There's a difference between cheering and understanding the reasons as to why it occured. You cheer about the destruction of Islam, which would lead to the destruction of millions of people. What does that make you?
LOL! Bells please don’t judge me based on a personal hypothesis of yours.

DoctorNO said:
In the past. But we no longer live in the past. All the colonies have been freed decades ago and all trades & enterprises were made in mutual agreements. Today the fruits of the Arab world is something that everybody enjoys, not just the west.
Good grief!

Let me get this straight. You claim that we can no longer live in the past, yet you continuously use Muslim wars of the past as a means to justifying why Islam is bad and should be destroyed? And you were asking about hypocrisy before?

DoctorNO, who do you think gained and continues to gain from those trade agreements? Promises made to ensure that the trade agreements are accepted are rarely kept.

You said it, on behalf of the Shah. So why do they blame us instead of the Shahs which still enjoy power in Iran?
Because the West and primarily the US, helped put the Shah there in the first place? Do you have any idea of the human rights atrocities committed by the Shah while the US looked on benovently?

The huge majority of the refugees came from the 1947 war when the Arab generals advised the Arabs to abandon their lands to give way for the Arab war machine who promised to drive the Jews into the sea. Now there were some cases wherein the Israeli army forcefully drove away arabs. So American participation there was indirect and unintentional.
Are you serious? You are the type of person who just closes his eyes to reality aren't you? I dearly suggest you read up on history DoctorNO, because it is obvious that you have absolutely NO idea of what actually happened. The Arab nations fought tooth and nail to prevent the creation of the Jewish State and they were shot down at every turn in the UN. All of their proposals were rejected. And who do you think participated in ensuring that the landgrab by the Jews went beyond what was originally agreed upon?

DoctorNO said:
Well back then he was a good guy. And when he began to show his true colors the west was already deeply involved with him politically & economically.
Surely even you aren't that simple. You're saying he was a good guy when he started murdering anyone who opposed him when he first came into power while the West and primarily the US continued to arm him to allow him to continue? You're saying he was a good guy when he was given the weapons to commit genocide and then given more to keep on doing it? Oh yeah, that's right, they were supporting and arming Saddam because he was at war with the Russian backed Iran, so that made it all OK. :rolleyes:

DoctorNO said:
Isnt your personal view a little bit extreme? Sweepingly blaming the wealthy for the sins of a few rich men? Not everyone made their money by employing children in clothes factories. Not everyone had cheated company stocks. Not everyone made money from swindling life savings from poor trusting people. Those that are discovered are convicted, imprisoned and fined.

America had been doing well even before the age of international trade agreements. Many super rich people today were made from honest & legal ingenuity. Like Bill Gates, who is made richer every time you buy a computer. And the owner of wallmart. And the pop stars. And hollywood. And the software makers. Such people should not be included in your accusations. They have no way of forcing people into poverty.
LOL! Ok, maybe you are that simple.

DoctorNO said:
What??? The bin laden that America raised was the bin laden who led freedom fighters against the Russian invasion. He was a good guy then. And all this was in the name of maintaining freedom. Something that even muslims want. That the man changed his colors can hardly be blamed on us.
Dear lord, it gets worse.

And by the way DoctorNO, your words have justified why Bin Ladin attacked the US and why so many Muslims hate the US. Freedom.

There are more than 4 billion people suffering today and yet the huge majority of terrorisms are committed by islamists. How do you reconcile that fact?
Just wait until the other people start to get desperate enough. God help us then. And terrorism is not just an act committed by Islamists DoctorNO. But it's the only one that gets any press. Think about some of the countries in South America for example where US interests and citizens are constantly under attack.

Almost every major nation has genocide in its founding history. Money is the most important thing for almost everybody. (1) But tiassa, how the hell could you make blanket statements against your own countrymen and (2) accuse them of a 'willingness to hurt anyone' for the sake of money??? (3) I think thats hate radiating from you. And you have the guts to call me ‘hateful’. (4) Lady, I am not more hateful than you are. (5) At least my hate is confined to an idealogy, not on actual people.
1. At least he's opened his eyes to reality.

2. His country men DO hurt and kill people for the sake of money and oil.

3. It's not hate. It's referred to as looking at the situation objectively and laying the blame where it actually belongs.

4. He calls you hateful because your words and your stance is hateful. And Tiassa is a he, not a she.

5. Your hate is confined to not just an ideology and religion but to the people who follow that religion. Your hate calls for the destruction of that religion and ultimately, all the people who follow that religion.

DoctorNO said:
Well it could be anyone but DoctorNO, tiassa. IT WASN’T AINT ME (as you alleged)!
It becomes you when one takes the stance that you have.

DoctorNO said:
What the hell did I ever say that gave that idea??? WTF!!! Sh.it. Tiassa, with all sincerity I DON’T THINK OR TALK LIKE THAT!!! On the contrary what I have always argued is that a religion characterized by bloodthirstiness could not be classified as a religion of peace. On the contrary I give some support to quran-only muslims because I see the absence of bloodthirstiness in those people. And I can prove that.
I suggest you read through all of your posts in this forum since you first joined and then you'd see where he and many others have gotten that idea.

Oh mama. Tiassa, you should really try to know me better. That monster you have described is not the DoctorNO that people had come to know. Honest, even my muslim debate opponents have said no such thing against me.
Your words in this forum have spoken plenty. You hate, yet blame others for hating. You blame others for their actions without looking at the actions of others that ultimately led to the acts that they have taken. No one here likes that 9/11 happened. We are all horrified by the senseless slaughter of innocent people. But at least most of us have the sense to look and recognise the 'why' it happened and what has happened to lead to such atrocities. And at least most of us recognise that the blame should not be layed on only one side.

In the case of a state of war. But there was no war. Only states are in the position of declaring wars. So Palestinians are justified in blowing up Israeli solidiers but alqaida can find no political or ethical justifications in blowing up American soldiers.
Is that your excuse? Palestinians feel justified in blowing up American soldiers when those soldiers represent the regime who support their oppressors and who continue to deny them any chance of statehood.

Nope. But you should realize that the reality of what happened was not as simple as what you just stated. It is evident that the US found about these things too late. And the difficulties of investigating & confirming the reports.
I think it's more a case of the US turning a blind eye and continuing to support that dictator even after 'these things' became too late. The investigations and the reports were confirmed and they were there and the reality was there for all to see, yet it was all ignored. Ignorance can never be an excuse because they knew.

As I said earlier Saddam was initially a good guy. So the US was very much justified then. The other issue is a bit complicated and Im not sure what to think of that yet. You should know that I don’t think that US policies are perfect but I think they are balanced to the best of their ability. A very good thing for a superpower. I doubt youll find another power better than that. You should really learn to appreciate what we have. What we have is great. Its good to criticize it every once in a while but it is completely unfair to demonize it just because they are not the saviors you dream them to be.
Saddam was never a good guy. Everyone knew it. But he was supported because he was acting in the US interest in the Cold War. He was not a good guy when he slaughtered hundreds of thousands of civilian Iranians when he used the chemical weapons supplied to him by the US. The US policies are balanced to the point where they continue to accumulate wealth and maintain their superpower status, regardless of the casualties of those policies. And we all appreciate what we have DoctorNO, but at least some of us recognise and are aware of the human costs that have occured to ensure we maintain our wealth and status and at least most of us lay the blame for those costs where they should lay.

DoctorNO said:
No, muslims, among all the people, tend to over react violently because it is prescribed in their religion as exemplified by their prophet. They tend to rebel against non-muslim rule at the slightest mistreatment because they are conditioned to rule and not be ruled over, and that they suspiciously view non-muslims with religious convictions.
My case in point. How patronising and despicable of you. And you said something before about living in the past? You talk of Muslims as though they were a different species of animal, when in fact they are human beings like you and I. Human beings who value their freedoms as much as you value yours. They view you exactly as you view them. Their reactions and actions in history have simply mirror our own. We too are guilty of atrocities exemplified by the bible DoctorNO. Your reasoning and excuses are pitiful in the extreme.

And their oppression was not a slight mistreatment DoctorNO. Learn some history and study the events of the last 50 years.

Dr. No

My position is that it would be advisable for muslims to stop putting all the blame on us, for as I have always said, the troubles of the world is everybody’s fault.

Even that's an erroneous position. Muslims do not put all the blame on others. If they did, well, God help us.

They blame each other. For generations, even. Weren't you telling me to read Islamic history? Hello? How did you forget that?

In the past. But we no longer live in the past. All the colonies have been freed decades ago and all trades & enterprises were made in mutual agreements

You seem to overlook the fact that some of the parties in "mutual agreement" are and were unjust tyrants with American blessing and even outright support.

You're kidding, right? I mean, that's not actually a serious question, right?

On the one hand, I dare you to go to a Palestinian refugee camp and tell that to a child living in those conditions. To the latter, however, you seem to overlook the intervening decades.

Well back then he was a good guy.

Ummm ....

Let me get this straight, Dr. No: Are you asserting that in in 1982, Saddam Hussein was a good guy?

And how, exactly, are we defining "good"? That we pretended he was on our side, and since we're supposed to be the "good guys", he, too, is a "good guy"? In that case, you make my point for me. However ... um ....

What the hell does that mean? What do you mean when you say that "back then" Saddam Hussein "was a good guy"?

You don't seem to understand that without a whole lotta poor people, the American standard of living goes down. Without them, even the people you describe (e.g. the people who comprise the not in "not everyone") would not enjoy the standard of living they do.

See the prior section.

You know that really irrational derivative of Islam that comes out of the madrassas that likes to blow stuff up and Americans call, with reasonable cause, terrorism? Well, that's kind of an American and, as I recall, Saudi thing. We helped build the madrassas to create an identity politic in order to motivate the fight in Afghanistan against Communism. Among them were the Taleban and certain bin Ladens, including Osama.

Now how is it that my postings qualify as a “pathetic excuse” for Americans and other civilized nations? Eh?

By propping up the lie that Muslims blame everything on Americans.

SO? I am not an American but I have never once thought it is your obligation to help my ailing country of origin. No, we Filipinos know that it is the nature of our culture that failed us.

How was life under Marcos?

Matters of classification and the business needs of news media. In the United States, "terrorism" includes the notion of attacking our soldiers in the middle of a war. Go figure.

Almost every major nation has genocide in its founding history. Money is the most important thing for almost everybody.

Yeah, but we had biological warfare and Manifest Destiny on our side. Not that biological warfare was new, but what can be said of folks who enjoyed giving smallpox to infants?

But tiassa, how the hell could you make blanket statements against your own countrymen and accuse them of a 'willingness to hurt anyone' for the sake of money???

It's fairly consistent: in order to play along in this society, you have to make money that important. If there's a "right thing to do", but money can be made doing something else, Americans choose "something else". I mean, I adore Safeco Field, and am happy about the Qwest Stadium or whatever they call it, it annoys the hell out of me that we spent a billion dollars on two stadia against the will of the voters--and not just circumventing them but actually overriding them--when they won't do the same for the schools. The people didn't want to pay the taxes for the stadia anymore than they do the schools, but it makes it a lot easier to give two fingers to the voters if you can "project" massive financial returns. The benefits of the ballparks that people seem to care about can be shown in a ledger. The benefits of the schools cannot. The pattern plays out over and over: when choosing between the virtues we claim to strive for and money, Americans are expected, at nearly a moral level, to choose the money.

I think thats hate radiating from you.

Well, if that's what you call an observation of the sad truth, then sure, whatever.

And you have the guts to call me ‘hateful’.

Well, yes. You're the one who propagates the lie that Muslims blame everything on others when history clearly refutes such a statement.

I am not more hateful than you are. At least my hate is confined to an idealogy, not on actual people.

Whatever you say, Dr. No. Isn't that how it works, sugarlumps? :rolleyes:

What the hell did I ever say that gave that idea??? WTF!!! Sh.it. Tiassa, with all sincerity I DON’T THINK OR TALK LIKE THAT!!!

Well, there's this:

I think the above is a fine example of a muslim reasoning why most muslims would rather blame everybody else than make fatwas against islamist terrorists.

What fatwa would you like them to make?

That monster you have described is not the DoctorNO that people had come to know.

It's what you show here.

Only states are in the position of declaring wars

According to whom? You?

So Palestinians are justified in blowing up Israeli solidiers but alqaida can find no political or ethical justifications in blowing up American soldiers.

Um ....

(chortle!)

I think you are referring to the 10 yr sanction against Iraq. But wait, you are generalizing the non-white (NW) non-american (NA) population of the earth. So are you referring to iraq or are you referring to every nations of NW NA who had social, political & economic relations with the U.S.? If it is the latter then can you please explain to us how the Chinese, the Mexicans, the Japanese and the Saudi Arabian CIVILIANS are victimized by the US.

Wages paid abroad, a "drug war", petrol politics, the history of the Cold War, &c., &c. ... it's a long, ugly story.

Tiassa you only asked me about the histories of Iran, Iraq, Israel & the US, not political policies!

Well, as you claim to have studied those histories, I'm curious as to your interpretation of those tales. After all, history has much effect on the present. From Schwarzkopf to Schwarzkopf, for instance. Who'd'a thunk it?

On what does your support of the overthrow of an elected Prime Minister depend?

I would love to see the evidence. Because that's just freakin' hilarious.

of course not.

Do you think these things--overthrowing the popularly-elected Prime Minister, propping up a dictator, endorsing and giving money to tyrants--have any effect on the people in those nations? Do those effects contribute in any way to the conditions inspiring the violence you so abhor?

As I said earlier Saddam was initially a good guy. So the US was very much justified then.

When was Saddam Hussein a "good guy"? And by what criteria?

You should know that I don’t think that US policies are perfect but I think they are balanced to the best of their ability

I don't know if the idea that this is the best we can do disturbs me more than the idea that we just don't want to do any better.

I doubt youll find another power better than that. You should really learn to appreciate what we have.

Okay, I gotta ask: What's with this "we"?

Furthermore, learning to appreciate what we have is a separate issue from aspiring to do better.

Its good to criticize it every once in a while but it is completely unfair to demonize it just because they are not the saviors you dream them to be.

If you really think it's that simple, there's not much I can do to help you understand.

All I ask is that we live up to these noble values we assert. Doesn't seem like much to ask of this American community. Complacency is a social disease.

muslims, among all the people, tend to over react violently because it is prescribed in their religion as exemplified by their prophet. They tend to rebel against non-muslim rule at the slightest mistreatment because they are conditioned to rule and not be ruled over, and that they suspiciously view non-muslims with religious convictions.

That's a very shallow description of the last fifty years. Remember that Arabs and Muslims were invited to join the modern world community in the role of "whipping boy".

Aw c’mon tiassa, I was just trying to mimic your tone. C’mon give me a smile

Then you blew it badly.

:cool:

Part of the problem, Dr. No, is that you employed the mimicry for a dishonest purpose.

If you had a legitimate point, well ....

Unsubstantiated hate? *sigh* the way you misunderstood me as is displayed in this thread is unsubstantiated. Oh bats, of all the posters I have encountered how could it be you who saw me so differently. You were supposed to be better than that.

Again, it's what you show. So don't go moralizing like that.

You went out of your way to bring your business from another board and presented a fallacious counterpoint. The particular lie you push is especially damaging, as it interferes with any dialogue working toward a solution.

Gee thanks!!! That will do me for the rest of the night

My pleasure.

DoctorNo

Your stand that US is in no way responsible, directly/indirectly, for the islamic terrorism is self defeating. US's active support of religious war in the past, and its indifference when the infrastructures for terror network flourished in the recent past in its 'friendly' countries, and its foriegn policies that is generally anti-people in muslim and other countries are the major reasons that hold back most of the muslims to come openly against terrorism.

On the otherhand, if you ask you why not muslims strengthen themselves as an economic & political power to solve their problems instead of letting the terrorists have their way & bring in more vows to muslims, then,yes, muslims can and should do that with some effort and sacrifice.

Bells, i don't agree that terrorism is the only option left out against a super power. It surely makes a superpower into a supreme power with added 'legitmacy' and mass support to continue its way further.

Bells said:
Let me get this straight. You claim that we can no longer live in the past, yet you continuously use Muslim wars of the past as a means to justifying why Islam is bad and should be destroyed? And you were asking about hypocrisy before?
Good grief, bells. What I said was in response to tiassa’s idea that the west is still plundering the arab lands. That was in the past and we are no longer in the past. Meaning it isn’t happening anymore. It has nothing to do with religion.

Bells? Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? Please stop nagging me by taking my posts out of context.

Bells said:
DoctorNO, who do you think gained and continues to gain from those trade agreements?
Everybody. Arabs, Filipinos, Mexicans, Africans, South Americans, and Europeans.

Bells said:
Because the West and primarily the US, helped put the Shah there in the first place? Do you have any idea of the human rights atrocities committed by the Shah while the US looked on benovently?
Do you have any idea if the US had known in advance what the shah would do in the future when they were helping him into power. Do you have any idea if the US had confirmed the atrocities in time to do anything about it? Do you have any idea if the US tried diplomatic solutions to those problems?

Bells said:
Are you serious? You are the type of person who just closes his eyes to reality aren't you? I dearly suggest you read up on history DoctorNO, because it is obvious that you have absolutely NO idea of what actually happened. The Arab nations fought tooth and nail to prevent the creation of the Jewish State and they were shot down at every turn in the UN. All of their proposals were rejected. And who do you think participated in ensuring that the landgrab by the Jews went beyond what was originally agreed upon?
Im tired of proving historical things like these to ignorant people like you. Tell you what, I’ll go through all the trouble again, proving that many many arabs willingly abandoned the lands at the advice of their arab generals, IF & ONLY IF afterwards you would publicly admit that you are an Ignorant Nagger. Deal?

Bells said:
Surely even you aren't that simple. You're saying he was a good guy when he started murdering anyone who opposed him when he first came into power while the West and primarily the US continued to arm him to allow him to continue? You're saying he was a good guy when he was given the weapons to commit genocide and then given more to keep on doing it? Oh yeah, that's right, they were supporting and arming Saddam because he was at war with the Russian backed Iran, so that made it all OK.
No. He was a good guy in the way that he hasn’t committed any atrocities YET. After the deals then he began to change.

Bells said:

LOL! Ok, maybe you are that simple.
Bells, I believe you have changed for the worst. This is the first time you insulted me without even trying to say why.

Bells said:
What??? The bin laden that America raised was the bin laden who led freedom fighters against the Russian invasion. He was a good guy then. And all this was in the name of maintaining freedom. Something that even muslims want. That the man changed his colors can hardly be blamed on us
Dear lord, it gets worse.

And by the way DoctorNO, your words have justified why Bin Ladin attacked the US and why so many Muslims hate the US. Freedom.
For goodness sakes, bells you have truly changed for the worst. What you said is completely irrelevant to what I said. How on earth does helping bin laden against the Russians give him the justifications to bite the hand that helped him? Please answer this in the context of what I said above.

Bells said:
Just wait until the other people start to get desperate enough. God help us then. And terrorism is not just an act committed by Islamists DoctorNO. But it's the only one that gets any press. Think about some of the countries in South America for example where US interests and citizens are constantly under attack.
Bells, quit nagging by resorting to ASSUMPTIONS.

South America? Constantly under attack? When was the last news report that an American citizen was attacked just for being an American citizen?

Bells said:
1. His country men DO hurt and kill people for the sake of money and oil.
I disagree. That is your opinion and by your logic since Australia helped them invade iraq then you Australians also hurt and kill people for the sake of money and oil. You are guilty by your own standards.

Bells said:
2. It's not hate. It's referred to as looking at the situation objectively and laying the blame where it actually belongs.
Judging 250 million civilians for thinking that the war was justifiable because Iraq was hiding WMDs is either a result of ignorance & stupidity or the result of contempt. A person who thinks objectively would only blame the things directly responsible, the governments, the terrorists, the criminals, the ideology.

Bells said:
3. He calls you hateful because your words and your stance is hateful. And Tiassa is a he, not a she.
Tiassa is a he? Are you serious? Tiassa was such a lovely name for a female. Tiassa if you are listening, Im sorry.

Bells said:
4. Your hate is confined to not just an ideology and religion but to the people who follow that religion. Your hate calls for the destruction of that religion and ultimately, all the people who follow that religion.
You are not god. You cannot read my mind. You have no evidence that I demeaned the muslim people. You are merely judging me based on your interpretations and assumptions.

continued...

Last edited:
Bells said:
Originally Posted by tiassa
Well it could be anyone but DoctorNO, tiassa. IT WASN’T AINT ME (as you alleged)!
It becomes you when one takes the stance that you have.
Bells you don’t know what you are talking about. My stance is all about the elimination of World and future suffering.

Bells said:
Originally Posted by tiassa

You make the argument that a religion of peace ought to become bloodthirsty in order to prove itself a religion of peace.
What the hell did I ever say that gave that idea??? WTF!!! Sh.it. Tiassa, with all sincerity I DON’T THINK OR TALK LIKE THAT!!! On the contrary what I have always argued is that a religion characterized by bloodthirstiness could not be classified as a religion of peace. On the contrary I give some support to quran-only muslims because I see the absence of bloodthirstiness in those people. And I can prove that.
I suggest you read through all of your posts in this forum since you first joined and then you'd see where he and many others have gotten that idea.
I don’t need to read them because they are my words and I know them by heart. And please don’t try to involve other people with tiassa’s conclusions. I’m not sure you understood what happened here. Because you know me much more than tiassa knows me. I know that you would jump at any opportunity you see that makes me look bad. If I had said anything close to what tiassa is accusing me of I’m sure you would have beaten her to it months ago. I thought you knew me than most people here but it seems you are agreement with what tiassa said. So let me ask you directly, have you ever seen me argue ”that a religion of peace ought to become bloodthirsty in order to prove itself a religion of peace”? I know you for your impulsiveness,bells, at how you are quick to judge, at how you shoot first before asking questions. But please just this once, if you think Im guilty as charged by tiassa, please quote me arguing like that. :)

Bells said:
Your words in this forum have spoken plenty. You hate, yet blame others for hating.
I hate an ideology and yet I don’t blame muslims for hating Christianity. I don’t blame them for hating Judaism. I don’t blame Medicine Woman for hating Christianity. So what kind of ‘hate’ do you think im blaming others for? Is it of the same type as the thing I hate? Who is without hate? Shall I blame you a hater as well for hating what 2 muslims did to you in your school library when they called you a slut in French?

Bells said:
You blame others for their actions without looking at the actions of others that ultimately led to the acts that they have taken. No one here likes that 9/11 happened. We are all horrified by the senseless slaughter of innocent people. But at least most of us have the sense to look and recognise the 'why' it happened and what has happened to lead to such atrocities. And at least most of us recognise that the blame should not be layed on only one side.
You are shooting blindly again. Havent you read what I said here last night? THE BLAME IS ON EVERYBODY’S SIDE. The very point of this thread is to examine why that muslim above puts all the blame on us.

Bells said:
Is that your excuse? Palestinians feel justified in blowing up American soldiers when those soldiers represent the regime who support their oppressors and who continue to deny them any chance of statehood.
I was referring to 9/11. Was there a Palestinian in one of those jets? Did they target soldiers in 9/11?

Bells said:
I think it's more a case of the US turning a blind eye and continuing to support that dictator even after 'these things' became too late. The investigations and the reports were confirmed and they were there and the reality was there for all to see, yet it was all ignored. Ignorance can never be an excuse because they knew.
Well that is your opinion. Before I make any conclusions I want to know how long the atrocities had been committed before the US confirmed it. And how long the US turned a blind eye on it.

Bells said:
Saddam was never a good guy. Everyone knew it. But he was supported because he was acting in the US interest in the Cold War. He was not a good guy when he slaughtered hundreds of thousands of civilian Iranians when he used the chemical weapons supplied to him by the US.
What I knew was that he already had treaties with the US before he used chemical weapons. And Iraq didn’t receive chemical weapons. It is alleged that Iraq had have developed the technology themselves by using farm chemicals and fertilizers supplied by different nations in the West.

Bells said:
The US policies are balanced to the point where they continue to accumulate wealth and maintain their superpower status, regardless of the casualties of those policies. And we all appreciate what we have DoctorNO, but at least some of us recognise and are aware of the human costs that have occured to ensure we maintain our wealth and status and at least most of us lay the blame for those costs where they should lay.
I do acknowledge the damage being done by some of those selfish policies. But I don’t use that as an excuse to blame them for everything. No, I lived on two different worlds and I saw how different people managed their affairs. Some of the blame is the responsibility of those who managed the civilians. Some of the blame lies on the culture itself. Some of the blame lies on the people themselves.

Bells said:
My case in point. How patronising and despicable of you. And you said something before about living in the past?
When you say “living in the past” it refers to reveling in a past that is no longer occurring in the present. All the stuff I mentioned above can still be seen happening around the world. So I am not living in the past. I am living in the present and looking into the past as a means to greater understanding of what is happening today.

Bells said:
You talk of Muslims as though they were a different species of animal, when in fact they are human beings like you and I.
How can you say that after I said “among all the people”?

You asked me once why I criticize one religion and not criticize the rest? Why I protest against muslim practices of sexism and not go on the streets protesting against all the sexism in the world. Now its time to judge you by your own standards, bells. There are countless muslims who talk about Jews like they are animals. They even called them pigs, dogs and monkeys. So what are you doing here laying false allegations against me? Go out into the streets and protest against this muslim mentality!

Bells said:
We too are guilty of atrocities exemplified by the bible DoctorNO.
You are confusing things. Mohammad was directly responsible on the people he led. The bible, I cant find of any instances that parts of it was used to justify an atrocity. Do you know of one?

Bells said:
Your reasoning and excuses are pitiful in the extreme.
You keep accusing me of that but when it comes down to it you cant even justify your allegations. You just ignore many of my counter replies and then later on bug me again about things that I have already refuted. C’mon bells lets settle this once and for all. Don’t ignore any of my points, deal with them one by one.

Bells said:
And their oppression was not a slight mistreatment DoctorNO. Learn some history and study the events of the last 50 years.
What I mean by ‘slight’ here are mistreatments that does not include murder, rape and actual robberies. Like 9/11.

everneo said:
Your stand that US is in no way responsible, directly/indirectly, for the islamic terrorism is self defeating.
That is not my stand, you misunderstand.

tiassa said:
Even that's an erroneous position. Muslims do not put all the blame on others. If they did, well, God help us.

They blame each other. For generations, even. Weren't you telling me to read Islamic history? Hello? How did you forget that?
Let me say more accurately: “Most muslims put most of the blame on others”.

tiassa said:
You seem to overlook the fact that some of the parties in "mutual agreement" are and were unjust tyrants with American blessing and even outright support.
Some of them are. But international politics is much more complicated than withdrawing negotiations with every tyrant on the planet. China had been ruled by tyrants too and that fact doesn’t stop the international community from making deals and treaties with China.

tiassa said:

You're kidding, right? I mean, that's not actually a serious question, right?
Ooops? The shah had been disposed of long ago. :D I was thinking of something else.

tiassa said:
On the one hand, I dare you to go to a Palestinian refugee camp and tell that to a child living in those conditions. To the latter, however, you seem to overlook the intervening decades.
If I ever go to a Palestinian refugee camp I would tell a child living there that the Jews are not the only people to blame for their predicament. The surrounding Arab nations had used them as pawns and thus they share in the blame.

tiassa said:
Let me get this straight, Dr. No: Are you asserting that in in 1982, Saddam Hussein was a good guy?

And how, exactly, are we defining "good"? That we pretended he was on our side, and since we're supposed to be the "good guys", he, too, is a "good guy"? In that case, you make my point for me. However ... um ....
Wrong choice of words on my part. I mean is that he hasn’t committed any atrocities yet, or at least the outside world was still unaware of such atrocities.

But I must admit I wasn’t exactly sure. It was years ago when I read an article on that.

tiassa said:
You don't seem to understand that without a whole lotta poor people, the American standard of living goes down. Without them, even the people you describe (e.g. the people who comprise the not in "not everyone") would not enjoy the standard of living they do.
Is it because there are poor Chinese, Mexicans & Indians outside America who out of poverty must do the same amount of work for a lot less money?

tiassa said:
You know that really irrational derivative of Islam that comes out of the madrassas that likes to blow stuff up and Americans call, with reasonable cause, terrorism? Well, that's kind of an American and, as I recall, Saudi thing. We helped build the madrassas to create an identity politic in order to motivate the fight in Afghanistan against Communism. Among them were the Taleban and certain bin Ladens, including Osama.
Allying with the afghans was a necessity for both parties (the Americans & the Afghans) for them to succeed in their wars. And so by adopting & supporting the afghan fighters America became partially responsible for their future. America’s biggest mistake in the afghan affair was when they left them in a political vacuum after the Russians evacuated. That I believe is the American share of the blame in the birth of Alquaida.

tiassa said:
By propping up the lie that Muslims blame everything on Americans.
What I actually said is “most muslims would rather blame everybody else than make fatwas against islamist terrorists”. Unless you show me fatwas against bin lade & co. I don’t think you have any basis in alleging that it is a lie.

tiassa said:
How was life under Marcos?
Miserable. And the rot that started with him can still be felt today. But we mostly blamed Marcos and our own cultural failures, not the Americans. We rebelled against marcos, not the Americans. I am absolutely positive that no non-muslim Filipino would terrorize America for supporting the Marcos regime.

tiassa said:
Matters of classification and the business needs of news media. In the United States, "terrorism" includes the notion of attacking our soldiers in the middle of a war. Go figure.
I figure that there is no such thing as terrorism in the middle of a war, when soldiers & government is targeted. But I am not limiting terrorism to the Americans. What about the rest of the world? The Islamist bombings in Russia, the Madrid bombings, the bali bombings, the Libyan massacres, in India, in the Philippines, in Southern China, etc. Is everybody conspiring against the muslims or is there something wrong in their common point of view?

tiassa said:
Yeah, but we had biological warfare and Manifest Destiny on our side. Not that biological warfare was new, but what can be said of folks who enjoyed giving smallpox to infants?
The folks who conspired in that were very few. It is unfair to use a rogue & isolated issue as an excuse to demonize the entire birth of a huge nation.

tiassa said:
It's fairly consistent: in order to play along in this society, you have to make money that important. If there's a "right thing to do", but money can be made doing something else, Americans choose "something else". I mean, I adore Safeco Field, and am happy about the Qwest Stadium or whatever they call it, it annoys the hell out of me that we spent a billion dollars on two stadia against the will of the voters--and not just circumventing them but actually overriding them--when they won't do the same for the schools. The people didn't want to pay the taxes for the stadia anymore than they do the schools, but it makes it a lot easier to give two fingers to the voters if you can "project" massive financial returns. The benefits of the ballparks that people seem to care about can be shown in a ledger. The benefits of the schools cannot. The pattern plays out over and over: when choosing between the virtues we claim to strive for and money, Americans are expected, at nearly a moral level, to choose the money.
It is very difficult to run a city. I cant make any comment with what you have told me. There are lots of factors to consider. But I don’t see how the above is related to the assertion that Americans would hurt other people for money. I live in Ontario I have never heard of anyone speak like that about you Americans. Your movies, songs & literature - reflections of your culture, heart & mind - dont revolve around the idea that you are alleging, that the common american would prefer hurting somebody for the sake of money. I dont see how the average american greed is any different from any body else.

Continued…

Last edited:
so doctor no. you expect people (Muslims & Non-Muslims Arabs, Asians etc.) to roll over and play dead and let the West (and later America) do what it has been for over a hundred years??

the west certainly isnt rolling over and playing dead so why should Muslims??? your kinda like Bush. when America unprovoked invades Iraq all the resistence is "terrorism" and "insurgency"

'No' on first question.

On the next question: I must clarify with you, what is 'rolling over and playing dead' got to do with the muslim world?

tiassa said:
with all sincerity I DON’T THINK OR TALK LIKE THAT!!!
Well, there's this:

“I think the above is a fine example of a muslim reasoning why most muslims would rather blame everybody else than make fatwas against islamist terrorists.”
And how on earth does that equate to this “the argument that a religion of peace ought to become bloodthirsty in order to prove itself a religion of peace”???

tiassa said:
That monster you have described is not the DoctorNO that people had come to know.
It's what you show here.
Its how you try to see me. As is evident in the above, your radical interpretation of something I said.

tiassa said:
Only states are in the position of declaring wars
According to whom? You?
You’ve got to be kidding me. Here maybe I need to clarify further: Only states or nations are in the position of declaring wars.

tiassa said:
Wages paid abroad, a "drug war", petrol politics, the history of the Cold War, &c., &c. ... it's a long, ugly story.
Just explain how the Japanese civilians are victimized by the US. Or if that is too hard for you, try Mexico. Or China. Or Saudi Arabia.

tiassa said:
Well, as you claim to have studied those histories, I'm curious as to your interpretation of those tales. After all, history has much effect on the present. From Schwarzkopf to Schwarzkopf, for instance. Who'd'a thunk it?
I am familiar with their histories but not with specific US policies on each of them states.

tiassa said:
On what does your support of the overthrow of an elected Prime Minister depend?
• If he directly threatens my country and his overthrow is a promising solution to the conflict
• If he is causing great instability in a region
• If he causes the suffering of the people that he had pledged to serve.

Im running out of time. Those would suffice for now. It should be a combination of those and I think there would be sufficient reason to support an overthrow.

tiassa said:
I would love to see the evidence. Because that's just freakin' hilarious.
Maybe some other time. As you can see my hands are full thanks to Bells.

I gotta go.

Dr. No said:

Seems a matter of priorities. As long as the world remains divided into separate bodies politic, there is much validity in the reviled theory that alleviating the external influences contributing to internal divisions allows a better foundation for addressing internal divisions. Historically, however, and especially in the last century, the situation has not been regarded so subtly. However, there is still a question we will visit shortly.

Some of them are. But international politics is much more complicated than withdrawing negotiations with every tyrant on the planet. China had been ruled by tyrants too and that fact doesn’t stop the international community from making deals and treaties with China.

Yes, and? Have you ever heard the phrase, "The World's Sweatshop"?

In the United States, we bargain with people whose political values we consider bad because we get better prices. That's why American companies liked to pay children pennies to make clothing in Nepal, where there is now a savage Maoist insurrection against an atrocious government. That's why we like goods made in China, the world's sweatshop.

In many cases, it's not a matter of withdrawing from every tyrant; I'm rather furious at the American unwillingness to deal directly with Iran or North Korea--it seems unwise and irresponsible to operate on the basis of some archaic standard of pride.

However, there is a legitimate issue to be made about material support for tyrants, as well as propping them up outright.

Ooops? The shah had been disposed of long ago

Fair 'nuff. However, I would like to note that the period under the Shah devastated the Iranian people; they've never recovered. With the world turning their backs, the Iranians bet on the best horse they had, a man named Ruollah Khomeni.

Think about how frustrated Americans get at choices like Bush vs. Gore or Bush vs. Kerry. Think about how people acknowledge the lack of a snowball's chance for the third-party candidates; it's just an excuse for not wanting to take a chance for what someone thinks is right. And so we pick between the lesser of two evils, "more of the same" or a promise of change.

Sadly, Khomeni was the only alternative Iranians felt they had. Compared to the Shah, why not take a chance? The effects of the overthrow of Mossadegh still play out in Iran, and also in the United States today.

If I ever go to a Palestinian refugee camp I would tell a child living there that the Jews are not the only people to blame for their predicament. The surrounding Arab nations had used them as pawns and thus they share in the blame.

Be subtle. Be delicate. In other words, be the things you aren't at Sciforums. And good luck.

Wrong choice of words on my part. I mean is that he hasn’t committed any atrocities yet, or at least the outside world was still unaware of such atrocities.

After a bloodless coup, Hussein, as deputy chair of the Revolutionary Command Council, purges the party and government in a Stalinist fashion.

A known Stalinist in the 1960s, he later pledged to turn Iraq into a Stalinist state. Seven months after the purge, he accuses political opponents of being Israeli spies and has them publicly hanged.

In 1971, the Baath government he serves initiated a chemical-weapons program.

And it is true that Hussein did strive to modernize Iraq according to socialist principles, but whereas the US, during the Cold War, had been willing to focus on those successes, there is no doubt about the menacing nature of the regime.

In July, 1979, as Hussein rose to the presidency of Iraq, he moves to avoid facing a vote. On July 22, with the entire Revolutionary Command Council assembled, Hussein announces a coup plot against him, and reads the names of sixty-six plotters in the party, publicly executing 22 of them. There is, somewhere, some video footage from that day, it's rather chilling to watch.

In 1980, Hussein initiates the war with Iraq. In 1981, the U.S. moves to normalize relations with Iraq amid reports of summary executions of Iranian POW's and Kurdish civilians. (And here we can consider anew a link I provided yesterday: "The Saddam in Rumsfeld's Closet".)

In 1982 the United States removes Iraq from its list of alleged terrorism sponsors. Additionally, the first reports of Iraqi chemical warfare begin to surface. In September of that year the United States extends credit to Iraq for agricultural products, including equipment for the Iraq Atomic Energy Commission and biological materials including anthrax.

Controversially, the US government drafted a National Security Decision Directive (#114) in November, 1983 that is apparently still classified, but is said to contain the heart of the policy that the US should do whatever is necessary and legal on behalf of Iraq in order to ensure Iraqi victory over Iran. This directive is issued after State Department officials have advised Secretary of State Shultz that Iraq has used chemical weapons against Iran. In December, 1983, Donald Rumsfeld announces that the United States is ready to resume full diplomatic relations with Iraq.

In early March, 1984 the US State Department acknowledges that Iraq has used chemical weapons against Iran. Later in the month, the UN releases a report declaring evidence of mustard gas and tabun. It has since been reported that the United States was assisting Iraq with battle planing at that time

In 1985, the British government got into the game, supporting a chemical weapons plant, and the United States.

In 1986, the United Nations formally accuses Iraq of chemical warfare.

In 1987, the Iraqi government gassed the Kurds. An estimated 4,000 Kurdish villages and towns are destroyed, as well as hundreds of thousands of Kurds. It is said that this period through 1989 marks the souring of US-Iraqi relations, though this is only a matter of tone and not policy.

After the Iran-Iraq war ends in 1988 with over a million estimated dead, Iraq begins producing biological weapons, stepping up the pace in 1989.

In July, 1990, with the world's fourth-largest military, Saddam Hussein sets after Kuwait.

If the world, or the United States government, didn't know what Saddam Hussein was about, then they weren't paying attention.

Is it because there are poor Chinese, Mexicans & Indians outside America who out of poverty must do the same amount of work for a lot less money?

It's that our standard of living requires that kind of poverty somewhere. Money is a fine organizational system, but we make it too important in the wrong ways. Without crappy wages in other nations, without repugnant working conditions, the average American would be living according to a lower standard.

It's a hard thing to work around, but Americans by and large refuse to try.

Allying with the afghans was a necessity for both parties (the Americans & the Afghans) for them to succeed in their wars. And so by adopting & supporting the afghan fighters America became partially responsible for their future. America’s biggest mistake in the afghan affair was when they left them in a political vacuum after the Russians evacuated. That I believe is the American share of the blame in the birth of Alquaida.

The American share of the blame in Al Qaeda is that we funded the promulgation of an ideology that makes warfare a holy duty of Islam. It was reckless exploitation and we're missing nearly 3,000 innocent people and a couple of fine buildings, which should serve well enough as a testament to the effects of that exploitation.

What I actually said is “most muslims would rather blame everybody else than make fatwas against islamist terrorists”.

What fatwa would you like whom to issue?

Unless you show me fatwas against bin lade & co. I don’t think you have any basis in alleging that it is a lie.

Now that's just horseshit, pure and simple.

Perhaps you don't remember copping an attitude about history:

Dr. No said:

But for you I suggest you read the entire history of muslims, the teachings of their prophet and the deeds of their prophets. How they used excessive use of force on an entire populace for the sins of the very few. You do that and then you come to me.

Perhaps you're unaware of that particularly and troublesomely large portion of Islamic history in which Muslims spend time, money, and lives at one another's throats.

Don't know, you say you know the histories. You choose to have an attitude problem about it. And then you go and ignore history in order to make a thin assertion like, " Unless you show me fatwas against bin lade & co. I don’t think you have any basis in alleging that it is a lie"?

What fatwas would you like whom to issue? "Against" bin Laden? What exactly does that mean, then?

Miserable. And the rot that started with him can still be felt today. But we mostly blamed Marcos and our own cultural failures, not the Americans. We rebelled against marcos, not the Americans. I am absolutely positive that no non-muslim Filipino would terrorize America for supporting the Marcos regime.

Especially since time has passed. But I wanted to point out something specific:

Dr. No: I am not an American but I have never once thought it is your obligation to help my ailing country of origin . . . .
Tiassa: How was life under Marcos?
Dr. No: Miserable. And the rot that started with him can still be felt today . . . .
All I wanted to remind you was that life under Marcos is what it looks like when the United States "helps" a people. There's a great bit in Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that accidentally makes an apt allegory of U.S. foreign policy:

My attorney finally agreed that Lucy would have to go.* The possibility of a Mann Act conviction, resulting in disbarment proceedings and total loss of his livelihood, was a key factor in his decision. A nasty federal rap.* Especially for a monster Samoan facing a typical white middle-class jury in Southern California.

"They might even call it kidnapping," I said.* "Straight to the gas chamber, like Chessman.* And even if you manage to beat that, they'll send you back to Nevada for Rape and Consensual Sodomy."

"No!" he shouted.* "I felt sorry for the girl, I wanted to help her!"

I smiled.* "That's what Fatty Arbuckle said, and you know what they did to him."

"Who?"

"Never mind," I said.* "Just picture yourself telling a jury that you tried to help this poor girl by giving her LSD and then taking her out to Vegas for one of your special stark-naked back rubs."

He shook his head sadly.* "You're right.* They'd probably burn me at the goddamn stake ... set me on fire right there in the dock.* Shit, it doesn't pay to try to help somebody these days ..."

(Thompson)

Or, as P.J. O'Rourke wrote of his time in the Philippines during the election:

Before the Congressional observer team went home, Lugar read a thin-soup statement, crinkum-crankum so packed with "Pash Commit of Flips to Dem" that a Hong Kong TV correspondent was moved to ask, "For those of us who are not native English speakers, could you please tell us what you're saying?" These guys may have talked tough stateside, but they had their mouths in the Delphic mush bowl when it counted.

Now they're giving each other bipartisan backslaps for their brilliant handling of a delicate foreign-policy crisis. But all the Filipinos saw was three weeks of President Reagan taking every position on the opinion compass about whether Marcos was a cool dude or what. The administration didn't get around to "throw the bum out" until Ferdinand and Imelda were practically unpacking their underwear in Guam. I don't think there's a way to exaggerate the true love we could have had in the Philippines if we'd gotten on the side of the angels and stayed there. But, I was quick to point out to my Philippine friends, it could have been worse. We could have lent B-52s to Marcos the way we did to Nguyen Van Thieu.

(O'Rourke, 84-85)

So to bring it all the way back to when you asked, "What condition?" I think you're being a little disingenuous with your, "Hey, I'm not an American," bit. That you're not American is irrelevant to the fact that your position asks Muslims to keep taking it:

Tiassa said:
Do we tell battered wives to just go home and be patient? Do we tell rape survivors to seek out their attackers and offer them another one? Do we tell Americans to bare their chests and wait for the terrorists to come and hit us again?

What we really need to know is what fatwas you would like whom to issue. Because without that, it just sounds like you're asking Muslims to accept injustice until they do what no society in human history has ever done.

I figure that there is no such thing as terrorism in the middle of a war, when soldiers & government is targeted. But I am not limiting terrorism to the Americans. What about the rest of the world? The Islamist bombings in Russia, the Madrid bombings, the bali bombings, the Libyan massacres, in India, in the Philippines, in Southern China, etc. Is everybody conspiring against the muslims or is there something wrong in their common point of view?

The modern institutions that affect the world, e.g. UN, World Bank/IMF, &c., grew out of an ideology that treated Arabs poorly.

In the wake of World War II, the United States and Britain considered Iran, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia in terms of, "You take one, I'll get the other, and we'll both work on the third." And we've been happy to contribute to the oppression of the people in exchange for good oil prices ever since.

Before that? Well, ever since the end of the empire, it's been rough going for much of the Arab world.

In the meantime, there's Nepal, DRC, the recent fracas in Liberia, a successful mission in the Solomon Islands to restore peace, drug-funded Marxists in South America, even recent arrests of white Americans for stockpiling weapons and plotting against the government.

The people of the United States are largely superficial insofar as the vastly dominant market ideology is one of, "Entertain me." Real information gets bad ratings; it needs to be jazzed up and stylized. Remember that there's a constant ratings war going on with the news media. The lives of most news organizations depend on playing the game.

We don't hear much about Nepal because Americans will have a particularly hard time understanding it. We haven't a whole lot of Nepalese-Americans, so Americans haven't a cultural kinship to relate to.

Additionally, Americans will only get pissed off at the Nepalese ingrates. After all, we gave their children jobs! At the going rate, too! Why can't they be happy? Aren't they smart enough to figure out to be happy? Well, no. I would love for someone to explain to me in detail how one is supposed to be happy when the only jobs available pay so poorly that your children have to work dangerous, excruciating conditions for not nearly enough money?

Africa? Americans simply don't understand conditions in which warring fighters eat pygmies in order to magically-increase their accuracy with a rifle and their stealth in the jungle? Nor do they react to more mundane issues. Functional comprehension of the Liberian situation was beyond the capabilities of the majority of information consumers.

The folks who conspired in that were very few. It is unfair to use a rogue & isolated issue as an excuse to demonize the entire birth of a huge nation.

It is very difficult to run a city. I cant make any comment with what you have told me. There are lots of factors to consider. But I don’t see how the above is related to the assertion that Americans would hurt other people for money.

In addition to being a testament to the supreme importance of money, it reminds that the simple benefit of education is worth depriving people of for money. This despite the fact that an educated populace makes more money.

At the heart of it, Americans are generally superficial. Some of this is accidental, some of it inherent.

I live in Ontario I have never heard of anyone speak like that about you Americans.

One of the quiet scandals so far of our electoral system is the bribing of poor people for votes. In West Virginia, fifteen bucks or a flask of whiskey is all it took. In Chicago, a hundred bucks to a man in need of medication: We'll help you, but only if you give over part of your right as an American. Or a hundred-sixty to a woman in the hospital, whose vote would later be thrown out when it was discovered that she voted for the "wrong" candidate. Our drug war that builds our prison culture? It's part of Congress' power to regulate commerce. Marijuana came under the hard hammer in 1937, to make way for nylon. Our cultural expressions generally aspire after vaunted values that are too expensive for most to care about when it comes right down to doing something about it. I mean, people vote in tax rebellions--e.g. voting against all revenue measures as a political statement--to the point of underfunding schools and, in the case of King County, Washington, canceling emergency medical services. (On the EMS issue, when people woke up the next day and realized what they'd done, they begged and pleaded until we had a special election and the measure was passed. This, of course, at the same time that the legislature was overriding the direct will of the people in order to build two stadia.) When our cultural expressions aspire to noble values, it presents a beautiful America. When our cultural expressions turn inward and look at what's there, it tends to be critical to the point of self-loathing. What separates Iraq from other nations? It's swimming in oil. Why is there so much controversy about Americans getting medicine in Canada? Money--it doesn't go to directly to American coffers, doesn't cycle through American middlemen. Even our most sacred things, too. Religion--televangelism is a multibillion-dollar industry. Baseball--praising the success of the Yankees is to praise the spending of money. News media is a business, and must answer to the bottom line; legitimate news stories are killed for the benefit of advertising revenues. (In fact, the so-called "liberal media conspiracy" is not a liberal thing at all, but an acknowledgment of the financial necessities of being in the news media.) Music? Ever hear the word "payola"? It's technically illegal, but it still exists in a more complex form that keeps many good musicians from the benefits of radio exposure--when you listen to music on the radio, you're listening to paid advertisements. It got so bad that banks were charging people money in order to withdraw their money: every little thing had to show revenue.

You know, there are some legitimate budget figures that indicate our true financial obligations in the US in terms of debt push as high as fifty-trillion dollars. That's how we do it, by finding new ways to cook the books, and when we underfund our schools, it eventually becomes that most people are unable to follow the tricks of the trade. That's how you understate debts and budgets: hide money.

But we need to spend that money. Because it's what people want. And spending money is the way to make people happy.

In any given election, you'll find communities in America voting against their own children's schools, yet blaming the teachers who aren't paid enough to begin with and are often funding classroom activities out of their own pockets for not doing enough. And that sentiment of disappointment in the results of an underfunded school compels people to believe that they should not fund the schools any better until they produce unnatural returns.

Is there anyplace sacred to you in the world? Don't tell us where it is, or Starbucks and WalMart might build there.

Is that really the ideology in Canada? Do they say, "This place is important to people because of history and heritage. That means they like to come here. That makes it a perfect place for a new department store, video store, and fast-food restaurant."

Do they really say, "We're going to underfund this important project because we want to save money until it functions as if it has all the money it needs"?

One of the assuaging factors in justifying the Iraqi Bush Adventure was the widespread belief that Iraq's oil would pay for the war.

The United States has some odd cultural priorities, and they can be downright foul in some cases. Our addiction to money is excessive.

Its how you try to see me. As is evident in the above, your radical interpretation of something I said.

According to your note regarding Bells, I'll just acknowledge what's already in the topic:

Bells said:

Any questions?

Dr. No said:

You’ve got to be kidding me. Here maybe I need to clarify further: Only states or nations are in the position of declaring wars.

According to whom? You?

Just explain how the Japanese civilians are victimized by the US. Or if that is too hard for you, try Mexico. Or China. Or Saudi Arabia.

Japan: I wasn't aware Japan had a problem with us of late. They've made out rather well since we nuked them.
Mexico: Well ... we could start with how we treat Mexicans in this country. And businesses don't go down to Mexico to pay the kind of wages you pay in the United States.
China: The American standard of living has every reason to honor and seek to perpetuate unsafe working conditions and poor wages in China.
Saudi Arabia: Given how folks are getting wary of the Saud, one might wonder why. These days American critics complain about Saudi Arabia's royal dictatorship, yet we've coddled it as much as possible--because of oil--for fifty years.

I am familiar with their histories but not with specific US policies on each of them states.

Well ... then I must reiterate my earlier suggestion to do some reading. For instance, Schwarzkopf to Schwarzkopf, from one to the next. One Schwarzkopf screws up Iran, the other fights Iraq. The irony is that the younger was attempting to mop up a problem the United States had gotten itself into as a result of the backlash against the results of the elder's actions. The sins of the father had come to bear on the son, so to speak.

• If he directly threatens my country and his overthrow is a promising solution to the conflict
• If he is causing great instability in a region
• If he causes the suffering of the people that he had pledged to serve.

And if none of those can be shown to be the case, should the overthrow at least secure power for a political leader who does do these things?

It's what the US government does, in order to help people.

• New York Times. "The World's Sweatshop". See http://www.nytimes.com/pages/world/worldspecial4/
• Scahill, Jeremy. "The Saddam in Rumsfeld's Closet". CommonDreams.org, August 2, 2004. See http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0802-01.htm
• More or Less. "Saddam Hussein al-Majid al Tikriti". See http://www.moreorless.au.com/killers/hussein.htm
• Thompson, Hunter S. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. New York: Vintage, 1989 (1971)
• O'Rourke, P.J. "Goons, Guns and Gold". Republican Party Reptile. New York: Atlantic Monthly Press, 1987.

DoctorNO said:
Good grief, bells. What I said was in response to tiassa’s idea that the west is still plundering the arab lands. That was in the past and we are no longer in the past. Meaning it isn’t happening anymore. It has nothing to do with religion.

Bells? Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? Please stop nagging me by taking my posts out of context.
If you feel that I'm nagging you in my responses DoctorNO, then the solution is simple, don't reply. And it has everything to do with religion DoctorNO, because you use it as a trump card on every single occasion in the religious forum. Read your earlier posts, you're still using it.

DoctorNO said:
Everybody. Arabs, Filipinos, Mexicans, Africans, South Americans, and Europeans.
LOL! Classic. For some reason I'm reminded of this quote about George Bush waving to Stevie Wonder in a parade.

DoctorNO said:
Do you have any idea if the US had known in advance what the shah would do in the future when they were helping him into power. Do you have any idea if the US had confirmed the atrocities in time to do anything about it? Do you have any idea if the US tried diplomatic solutions to those problems?
What I had meant DoctorNO was that the US continued to support the Shah even after he murdered and imprisoned anyone who was in opposition. It wasn't until Carter, who supported some forms of human rights, that the US told Iran that they'd withdraw their financial and military support if the Shah continued to abuse human rights.

DoctorNO said:
Im tired of proving historical things like these to ignorant people like you. Tell you what, I’ll go through all the trouble again, proving that many many arabs willingly abandoned the lands at the advice of their arab generals, IF & ONLY IF afterwards you would publicly admit that you are an Ignorant Nagger. Deal?
DoctorNO, there is a book, titled 'Pity the Nation' that I'd like to suggest you read. It's by Robert Fisk, a British journalist, who wrote this brilliant book from his experiences while working as a Middle East foreign correspondent for the London Times. I managed to find the chapter I was looking for online, to save my having to type so much. Here is an excerp from that chapter, 'The Keys of Palestine':

For decades after their War of Independence, the Israelis claimed that most of the Arab Palestinians had left of their own free will after-being urged by Arab radio stations to leave their homes and take sanctuary in neighbouring states until the Arab armies had conquered the upstart new Israeli nation. Israeli scholars now agree that these radio appeals were never broadcast and that the allegations were fraudulent. The Palestinian Arabs left their homes because they were frightened, often because they had heard stories — accounts which were perfectly true — of the massacre of Arab civilians by Jewish gangs.
I'd suggest DoctorNO, that before you call me ignorant of history, that you brush up on yours first.

DoctorNO said:
No. He was a good guy in the way that he hasn’t committed any atrocities YET. After the deals then he began to change.
You just keep telling yourself that DoctorNO. Keep convincing yourself of that. It is obvious that you do not know that Saddam had been part of several coups and assassination attempts of the leader of Iraq, when he was just a henchman of the Baath Party. It is obvious that you have no idea that Saddam rose in the ranks of the Baath party because he was such an adept torturer. It is also obvious that you are unaware of his killing dozens of members of his own party, on the 22nd of July 1979, after he had managed to "persuade" President Bakr to resign on 16th of July 1979. He called it cleansing. And it seems that you are also in ignorance of the fact that he then went on to kill nearly 500 military and government officials over the next few days. And that it was these killings that allowed him to consolidate his power in Iraq. So he was a good guy when the US started to support him? "Eh"? He hadn't committed any atrocities "YET"? Please tell me how killing nearly 500 people or so in the name of cleansing the party is not an atrocity.

And when did the US forge their strong friendship with Iraq? Ah yes, 1983. Hmmm... this was of course 3 years after Iraq invaded Iran. Good guy indeed. But you just keep telling yourself that DoctorNO... hey.. whatever helps you sleep better at night...

DoctorNO said:
Bells, I believe you have changed for the worst. This is the first time you insulted me without even trying to say why
I called you simple because your arguments are so simplistic and naive.

DoctorNO said:
For goodness sakes, bells you have truly changed for the worst. What you said is completely irrelevant to what I said. How on earth does helping bin laden against the Russians give him the justifications to bite the hand that helped him? Please answer this in the context of what I said above.
You seem to misunderstand. I'm not saying that Bin Ladin was right in his attacking the US or any other State. What I was saying was that Bin Ladin and many other Muslims feel that the US is oppressing Arabs by their past involvement and the fact that they have remained in the Middle East. They feel oppressed because the US and her allies have continued to support Isreal against the Palestinians (fellow Arabs both Muslim and Christian). Bin Ladin despises the fact that the US never withdrew from Saudia Arabia after the first gulf war, and that the US used that war to consolidate it's power in the Middle East. He is resentful of the fact that the US is so deeply entrenched in Saudi politics. That is just the start of it all, a mere scratch on the surface. Do you seriously think that a madman like Bin Ladin would have accepted the help from the US if he had known that the US would later come into and settle bases in Saudia Arabia? Think about it son.

DoctorNO said:
Bells, quit nagging by resorting to ASSUMPTIONS.

South America? Constantly under attack? When was the last news report that an American citizen was attacked just for being an American citizen?
If responding to your posts is nagging DoctorNO, then I could say the same about you.

You seem to forget that US interests in South America have been under attack by guerrilla's. For example, the pipeline from the Caño Limón oilfields (the pipeline is owned by a US company) has been under constant guerrilla bombing attacks. Hmmm, even Donald Rumsfeld has acknowledged that there is a constant terrorist threat on US interests in South America.

Hell, the US has posted warnings about terrorism in Colombia in 2003, especially after this incident:
The rebels have staged deadly bombings and even a mortar strike in the nation's capital over the past 18 months. They took three American defense department contractors hostage earlier this year and were blamed for grenade attacks against two Bogota bars last month that wounded four Americans, including an American Airlines pilot.

The embassy said the grenade attacks were apparently meant to "kill or injure" U.S. citizens.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/americas/12/12/colombia.warning.reut/
Latin America emerged in 1990 as the most frequent site for terrorist attacks against US interests. Most of these attacks took place in Chile, Peru, and Colombia. Latin American radical or guerrilla groups engaging in terrorism tended to attack domestic, rather than foreign, targets. Thus, although the number of international terrorist incidents was high, the escalating domestic political violence had an even greater impact on the region.
http://www.fas.org/irp/threat/terror_90/intro.html

DoctorNO said:
I disagree. That is your opinion and by your logic since Australia helped them invade iraq then you Australians also hurt and kill people for the sake of money and oil. You are guilty by your own standards.
Have I ever once voiced support for Howard's agreeing to send our troops to invade Iraq? No. Hey, many here in Australia are against the war in Iraq. Are we guilty? Yes we are. But at least we admit to it. At least we lay the blame where it belongs. So you disagree that the war in Iraq is for oil? How very naive of you.

DoctorNO said:
Judging 250 million civilians for thinking that the war was justifiable because Iraq was hiding WMDs is either a result of ignorance & stupidity or the result of contempt. A person who thinks objectively would only blame the things directly responsible, the governments, the terrorists, the criminals, the ideology.
Errr DoctorNO, you're now claiming that the whole of the US was supporting Bush for attacking Iraq to find WMD's that the whole world knew was not there? Heh!...

LMAO!!

ROTFLMAO!!!
DoctorNO said:
You are not god. You cannot read my mind. You have no evidence that I demeaned the muslim people. You are merely judging me based on your interpretations and assumptions.
You don't demean Muslim people? Would you like me to dredge up all your posts in this forum? Hell, just read your first post in this thread. Or how about this particular gem:
DoctorNO said:
If muslims would convert into other religions the arab world would heal. Because they would no longer have to suppress their women, their minorities and they would no longer be chopping off hands and heads.
Nooo that's not demeaning :rolleyes: . You're just telling Muslims that they should convert to other religions that YOU deem to be more appropriate because you think that all Muslims suppress their women, their minorities and chop off hands and heads.

DoctorNO said:
Bells you don’t know what you are talking about. My stance is all about the elimination of World and future suffering.
By proposing that Muslims no longer be Muslims, as though that would stop all world suffering and terrorism. *Chuckles*...

I don’t need to read them because they are my words and I know them by heart. And please don’t try to involve other people with tiassa’s conclusions. I’m not sure you understood what happened here. Because you know me much more than tiassa knows me. I know that you would jump at any opportunity you see that makes me look bad. If I had said anything close to what tiassa is accusing me of I’m sure you would have beaten her to it months ago. I thought you knew me than most people here but it seems you are agreement with what tiassa said. So let me ask you directly, have you ever seen me argue ”that a religion of peace ought to become bloodthirsty in order to prove itself a religion of peace”? I know you for your impulsiveness,bells, at how you are quick to judge, at how you shoot first before asking questions. But please just this once, if you think Im guilty as charged by tiassa, please quote me arguing like that.
Sigh... Did I say I agreed with Tiassa? Let's see now...
Bells said:
Hmmm... I said that maybe you should read through those posts to see WHY he may have gotten that idea. Is that an agreement? My argument with you was about your wanting to destroy one religion because you seem to think that that religion is evil. And no, I don't think you're as guilty as charged on Tiassa's point. Your words against Islam has been very strong of late Doc, and that's why I made that statement.

DoctorNO said:
I hate an ideology and yet I don’t blame muslims for hating Christianity. I don’t blame them for hating Judaism. I don’t blame Medicine Woman for hating Christianity. So what kind of ‘hate’ do you think im blaming others for? Is it of the same type as the thing I hate? Who is without hate? Shall I blame you a hater as well for hating what 2 muslims did to you in your school library when they called you a slut in French?
That's the first time you've ever said something like that. Your words in the past have always laid the blame on Muslims and their religion DoctorNO. You've always come out with statements that sound as though you expected Muslims to denounce their religion because a few of their members had become so fanatical and when they would not, you clump them all together. Your first post in this thread came out like that. And yes you can call me a hater. I hate those 2 muslims who called me a slut in my uni library and I hate the twit who cut me off and nearly rammed into my side the other day on the freeway.

You are shooting blindly again. Havent you read what I said here last night? THE BLAME IS ON EVERYBODY’S SIDE. The very point of this thread is to examine why that muslim above puts all the blame on us.
Yes, the blame is on everyone. And I examined why that Muslim may have put the blame on us and you denied that could be correct. Hence the point of these long winded discussions.

I was referring to 9/11. Was there a Palestinian in one of those jets? Did they target soldiers in 9/11?
Eh?

Well that is your opinion. Before I make any conclusions I want to know how long the atrocities had been committed before the US confirmed it. And how long the US turned a blind eye on it.
DoctorNO, the US and the world has always known of the atrocities. The party cleansing that took place when Saddam first came into power for example was done on Iraqi TV for all to see. It was common knowledge. The US became an ally of Iraq after Iraq invaded Iran. I suggest you read this article as a starter.

Relations with Saddam went bad in the late 80's and the Gulf War put paid that the closeness was not a good idea.

You asked me once why I criticize one religion and not criticize the rest? Why I protest against muslim practices of sexism and not go on the streets protesting against all the sexism in the world. Now its time to judge you by your own standards, bells. There are countless muslims who talk about Jews like they are animals. They even called them pigs, dogs and monkeys. So what are you doing here laying false allegations against me? Go out into the streets and protest against this muslim mentality!
Err Doc, I have told off the Muslims on this board after they've made such statements as well. I'm not on a vendetta against you Doc. I treat everyone the same in here.

You are confusing things. Mohammad was directly responsible on the people he led. The bible, I cant find of any instances that parts of it was used to justify an atrocity. Do you know of one?
Ever read Mein Kampf? And there are many atrocities perpetrated by God himself in the bible Doc. Re-read it again and you'll see what I mean. Hmm instances where the Bible was used to justify atrocities... lets see.. You have the age of exploration and discovery. The bible was used as justification to commit genocide against natives in many countries in a bid to force them to convert to Christianity. Australia and its stolen generation is a prime example. The Spanish conquests in South America is another prime example.

You keep accusing me of that but when it comes down to it you cant even justify your allegations. You just ignore many of my counter replies and then later on bug me again about things that I have already refuted. C’mon bells lets settle this once and for all. Don’t ignore any of my points, deal with them one by one.
Ermm Doc, I have replied to each of your points. And it is you who referred to it as "nagging" or better still "ignorant nagger".

What I mean by ‘slight’ here are mistreatments that does not include murder, rape and actual robberies. Like 9/11.
Would you classify the killing of 250 Arabs in April 1948, half of which were women and children, by zionist terrorist organisations, as not being slight mistreatment? :rolleyes:

tiassa said:
Seems a matter of priorities. As long as the world remains divided into separate bodies politic, there is much validity in the reviled theory that alleviating the external influences contributing to internal divisions allows a better foundation for addressing internal divisions. Historically, however, and especially in the last century, the situation has not been regarded so subtly. However, there is still a question we will visit shortly.
That is true.

tiassa said:
Yes, and? Have you ever heard the phrase, "The World's Sweatshop"?

In the United States, we bargain with people whose political values we consider bad because we get better prices. That's why American companies liked to pay children pennies to make clothing in Nepal, where there is now a savage Maoist insurrection against an atrocious government. That's why we like goods made in China, the world's sweatshop.
I know.

tiassa said:
In many cases, it's not a matter of withdrawing from every tyrant; I'm rather furious at the American unwillingness to deal directly with Iran or North Korea--it seems unwise and irresponsible to operate on the basis of some archaic standard of pride.
I don’t know what was your government’s true agenda with Iraq but the way the war is going right now, I don’t think it can risk dealing with Iran any time soon. N Korea, I don’t think is as serious a threat as the middle-east chaos. Whether or not it has nukes, I think its just bluffing and wont really use it on its neighbors. I don’t think its in their best interest to sell that technology either or hardware.

tiassa said:
However, there is a legitimate issue to be made about material support for tyrants, as well as propping them up outright.
Yes depending on the situation.

tiassa said:
Fair 'nuff. However, I would like to note that the period under the Shah devastated the Iranian people; they've never recovered. With the world turning their backs, the Iranians bet on the best horse they had, a man named Ruollah Khomeni.
Yeah I know. Unfortunately Khomeni had proven to be about as close a tyrant as the former one. A worst kind of tyrant for he wields the powers of religion too. And muslims are more cautious when it comes to religious stuff. They tend to shy away from the challenge of questioning their religious leaders. What do you think?

tiassa said:
Think about how frustrated Americans get at choices like Bush vs. Gore or Bush vs. Kerry. Think about how people acknowledge the lack of a snowball's chance for the third-party candidates; it's just an excuse for not wanting to take a chance for what someone thinks is right. And so we pick between the lesser of two evils, "more of the same" or a promise of change.

Sadly, Khomeni was the only alternative Iranians felt they had. Compared to the Shah, why not take a chance? The effects of the overthrow of Mossadegh still play out in Iran, and also in the United States today.
Its how the powers of the politicians manipulate public support. I know you Americans have other candidates beside those pairs you mentioned but the other candidates lacked the power tto match the aggressive campaigns of the powerful candidates. That is the case wherever you go. Its not what you know, its who you know and who knows you that will get you the job.

tiassa said:
If the world, or the United States government, didn't know what Saddam Hussein was about, then they weren't paying attention.
I am sure the US had known what he is about, and yet they supported his rule. I think it’s a necessary evil for combating the greater evil of communism. But the US did not put Saddam on his throne and even without US support a man like Saddam would do what he do, suppressing dissidents at all cost. But because of US support Iraq was strengthened enough for Saddam to risk invading Iran. And so is there a good reason to put more blame on the US than on Saddam & the Baath party? Sure the US is partly to blame but I see that some Muslims are using the US involvement as an excuse to demonize the US & the West beyond reasonable limits.

tiassa said:
It's that our standard of living requires that kind of poverty somewhere. Money is a fine organizational system, but we make it too important in the wrong ways. Without crappy wages in other nations, without repugnant working conditions, the average American would be living according to a lower standard.

It's a hard thing to work around, but Americans by and large refuse to try.
It’s a global challenge for almost all rich countries are profiting from the cheap services of the poor. I think the most realistic solution to that is for the poor nations to resolve their problems, their corruptions, their conflicts, and thus in turn raise their own standards of living, demanding higher paychecks. This should balance things out a bit. The poor getting richer and the rich getting poorer. Of course the internal problems of the poor is another matter.

And so I don’t think its right to single out the US.

tiassa said:
The American share of the blame in Al Qaeda is that we funded the promulgation of an ideology that makes warfare a holy duty of Islam. It was reckless exploitation and we're missing nearly 3,000 innocent people and a couple of fine buildings, which should serve well enough as a testament to the effects of that exploitation.
How do you think should you Americans deal with that?

tiassa said:
“What I actually said is “most muslims would rather blame everybody else than make fatwas against islamist terrorists”
What fatwa would you like whom to issue?
Fatwas calling for death of the terrorists. The high Clerics, especially those who issued death fatwas on poets and novelists who’s works they interpret as blasphemous.

tiassa said:
“What I actually said is “most muslims would rather blame everybody else than make fatwas against islamist terrorists. Unless you show me fatwas against bin lade & co. I don’t think you have any basis in alleging that it is a lie.

Now that's just horseshit, pure and simple.

Perhaps you don't remember copping an attitude about history:

Perhaps you're unaware of that particularly and troublesomely large portion of Islamic history in which Muslims spend time, money, and lives at one another's throats.

Don't know, you say you know the histories. You choose to have an attitude problem about it. And then you go and ignore history in order to make a thin assertion like, " Unless you show me fatwas against bin lade & co. I don’t think you have any basis in alleging that it is a lie"?

What fatwas would you like whom to issue? "Against" bin Laden? What exactly does that mean, then?
Attitude problem? All Im asking you is to prove that what I said is a lie. If you think my suggestion is horseshit then whatever means but please do so and support your allegation. If you cant do that then you are only making a baseless accusation which proves that it is you who has an attitude problem.

continued...

Back