Hospital chaplains at risk

PsychoticEpisode said:
If their book of judgement contains credits and debits then there is nothing like tipping the balance toward the credits. The guys are human and as such are also subject to the occasional stroking of the ego just like anyone else. For most of us it gives great pleasure to at least think we perform good acts. I don't think anyone can honestly say chaplains do or don't think this way....again this is just a feeling I have, I may be alone. Perhaps an honest chaplain's retort is required here.

I've met a lot of priests and I can safely say that you have the wrong idea. Of course, I'm talking about Indian priests so I may have the wrong idea about other countries as well.

samcdkey said:
I've met a lot of priests and I can safely say that you have the wrong idea.

I don't think that is a fair statement. Unless we can read minds we will never honestly know what one mind is thinking. I get what you're saying, it's just that I do not hold priests et al in the same light as you.

Getting back to the original tone of this thread....I still believe that there is a huge market out there for chaplains to exploit. I get tired of hearing about starving priests especially when opportunities like this one presents itself. Perhaps if hospitals put a stop payment on the chaplains' invoices it will open up an avenue for the evangelists or their ilk to branch out into and cash in. That could be a negative but even the selling of religion brings with it caveat emptor warning.

PsychoticEpisode:

That a man might be motivated by a sense of benefit entails that he must have a morbid love for greater death from others?

Prince_James said:
PsychoticEpisode:

That a man might be motivated by a sense of benefit entails that he must have a morbid love for greater death from others?

Exactly. However, that could apply to any number of situations where one does something for religious reasons to gain favor.

Prince_James said:
PsychoticEpisode:

PsychoticEpisode said:
Exactly. However, that could apply to any number of situations where one does something for religious reasons to gain favor.

This is just too funny. I must remember to tell Fr. Antony.

A lot of priests do a very thankless job.

I don't know how it is here (wherever you are), but it is most certainly not a "business".

PsychoticEpisode:

Suppose that instead of a commission, it is rather a salary? It is not how many deaths they oversee, but being available for such that counts? Would it then be a matter a "morbid" thing?

samcdkey said:
This is just too funny. I must remember to tell Fr. Antony.

A lot of priests do a very thankless job.

I don't know how it is here (wherever you are), but it is most certainly not a "business".

"A lot" does not imply all. Thanks may not be forthcoming in their profession but I find it hard to believe they don't expect it.

Religion is huge business...if the priests are missing out on capitalizing on it then it's time. Even if they want to give all their material gain away then the people they help spiritually can also be helped financially.

Prince_James said:
PsychoticEpisode:

Suppose that instead of a commission, it is rather a salary? It is not how many deaths they oversee, but being available for such that counts? Would it then be a matter a "morbid" thing?

Either way it would be a business.

Who are they working for really? The hospital? the dying? the family? their religion? themselves? I think the one that stands out the least as an employer is the hospital. Right now it is a service provided free of charge. Free to you and me but not to the the hospital. As we all know, nothing is free. Take the 100G's and use it somewhere else and save a life.

Some information about chaplains in the UK.

Looks like it's not very different from other places after all.
Of the 400 whole time chaplains in the UK, there are 300 full time and 1500 part time chaplains.

Today hospital professionals are beginning to understand the importance a patient's spiritual life plays in their recovery or coping with a crisis.

Chaplains are part of the staff team and are appointed by the Hospital Trust. They have pastoral responsibility towards all patients and their relatives regardless of whether the patient is religious or not.

The Hospital Chaplain makes daily rounds and is available 24 hours a day to patients, family members and staff. Not being a conventional member of the healthcare team or of the patient's family, the Chaplain can objectively provide crisis intervention counseling and support.

In the often stressful and demanding hospital environment, the Chaplain is an understanding friend and confidant, who provides a listening ear and a pastoral point of view for the staff. Staff members who have no minister of their own often seek the Chaplain's counsel, especially during times of personal family need.

...the challenge is to listen to people, respond sensitively and to be with people while they search for answers. "There are no smug answers in Chaplaincy," said Noël. "Chaplaincy is about spiritual care, not religion. The Church does not have a monopoly on spirituality. "

Serious illness can frighten patients and isolate them from their support communities. Losses such as physical and cognitive capacities, independence and work or family status can seriously impact their sense of meaning, purpose, and personal worth. Hospital Chaplains address these crises through spiritual care that enhances connections to support communities, thus aiding healing and recovery.

A major part of Noël's daily work is caring for sick children and their families. He often has to cope with the death of a child. "As human beings we are finite creatures. However, when death comes out of sequence, it throws up difficult questions," said Noël. While Noël finds his Christian faith of consolation, he believes that "the heart and brain are not always good bedfellows. To care pastorally and emotionally is not the same."

The role of the Hospital Chaplain is a varied one. They provide supportive spiritual care though empathic listening, demonstrating an understanding of persons in distress. Typical activities include: grief and loss care, crisis intervention, communication with caregivers, facilitation of staff communication, conflict resolution, referral and linkage to internal and external resources and staff support relative to personal crises or work stress.

Chaplains play an integral role in supporting and strengthening religious and spiritual resources of patients and their families. They help healthcare organizations meet patient expectations for competent, compassionate spiritual care services. They also make unique contributions to the community including: leading and participating in community wellness programs, support groups and community responses to crisis, maintaining active relationships with local clergy associations and providing community educational seminars on topics of spirituality, loss and illness.

Back