Homophobia in atheists

What is the reason for homophobia in atheists?

There could be many.

Some ideas:

Atheism is stressful; prolonged stress can manifest in paranoia; fear (and/or hatred) of people can be part of that paranoia.

An even shorter path to paranoia is that atheism forces a person
1. to rely on a relatively small scope of experience and knowledge (since all traditional religious texts and the testimony of the religious are inadmissable for atheism),
and 2. to extrapolate on all life-important issues from that small scope of experience and knowledge.
This results in a kind of sheltering, a deliberate living in a small bunker in the midst of a huge universe - and who wouldn't get scared by that.

Also, atheism has no recourse to a source and justification of values, other than common sense and humanism.
Common sense is very variegated, contains even mutually exclusive propositions.
The humanistic philosophy is shallow, and empty optimism at best.
So neither are reliable. So relying on either leads to a fearful and hateful disposition toward people, and also oneself and life in general.

i did
the freak, as do you, make an acceptance and tolerance of homosexuality, a necessary condition for a valid argument for atheism

I think the argument was based on the assumption of rationality and its alleged association with a recognition of universal human rights. While I do not confuse atheism with rationality, I would like to understand the basis for homophobia not based on "myths and superstitions".

If I try to examine the basis of my own lack of belief in homophobia, it generally comes down to "people do weird stuff"

You'll have to tell me what that is, since I have no problems with a normal distribution of sexual orientations.
I'm not homophobic. Sorry, can't help you.

As long as you continue to evaluate human prejudice based only upon one facet of it, SAM, then you're never going to understand anything at all.

Atheism is stressful; prolonged stress can manifest in paranoia; fear (and/or hatred) of people can be part of that paranoia.

An even shorter path to paranoia is that atheism forces a person
1. to rely on a relatively small scope of experience and knowledge (since all traditional religious texts and the testimony of the religious are inadmissable for atheism),
and 2. to extrapolate on all life-important issues from that small scope of experience and knowledge.
This results in a kind of sheltering, a deliberate living in a small bunker in the midst of a huge universe - and who wouldn't get scared by that.

Also, atheism has no recourse to a source and justification of values, other than common sense and humanism.
Common sense is very variegated, contains even mutually exclusive propositions.
The humanistic philosophy is shallow, and empty optimism at best.
So neither are reliable. So relying on either leads to a fearful and hateful disposition toward people, and also oneself and life in general.

Wow.. you are a bigot !

What is the reason for homophobia in atheists?
There is probably a long answer to that one but I would suggest it was the same reason why theists are homophobic and the same thinking that lead to it being in the bible in the first place.

But are you really after an answer SAM or are you just playing dumb and trying to point out that atheists can be intolerant too?

There is probably a long answer to that one but I would suggest it was the same reason why theists are homophobic and the same thinking that lead to it being in the bible in the first place.

Which is?

weird? what, just some youthful experimenting?

Nope, just incomprehensible.
"The only normal people are the ones you don't know yet"

Back