Homeopathy

There was an interesting article about homeopathy in a recent New Scientist - some old geezer called Edzard Ernst I think - it was pretty well balanced and didn't pull any punches - which is unusual for someone from that school of medicine.

If you can't find the article on the web, I'll have a rummage through the library in my toilet where I keep my new scientist (and judge dredd & silver surfer) magazines and post some of it up.

Homeopathy: Micro Doses Mega Results

OK Nancy, obviously you believe in homeopathy because it's how you shill coin from people to make a living, but how do you reconcile this with the published articles in 'The Lancet' which have shown no significant superiority over a placebo?

You know what Avogadros number is, yes? So how do you explain away the 'infinite dilution' of solutions until it's unlikely that a single molecule from the original solution is in a subsequent dilution? How is that supposed to be effective?

Also, as I have asked on this thread, as there is a finite amount of water on the planet, and it will, over time, have come into contact, or actually have been part of the very plant that is the alleged remedy, why is rainwater not homeopathic? If there is a 'memory effect' why does water forget? What is the 'shelf life' of a homeopathic remedy?

OK Nancy, obviously you believe in homeopathy because it's how you shill coin from people to make a living, but how do you reconcile this with the published articles in 'The Lancet' which have shown no significant superiority over a placebo?

You know what Avogadros number is, yes? So how do you explain away the 'infinite dilution' of solutions until it's unlikely that a single molecule from the original solution is in a subsequent dilution? How is that supposed to be effective?

Also, as I have asked on this thread, as there is a finite amount of water on the planet, and it will, over time, have come into contact, or actually have been part of the very plant that is the alleged remedy, why is rainwater not homeopathic? If there is a 'memory effect' why does water forget? What is the 'shelf life' of a homeopathic remedy?

You know you are wasting time talking to these people, The dumbos, who can be persuaded to believe anything and the practitioners who make money from the dumbos. Your point on memory is well made.

Of course I know the answer. Water only retains an imprint when it's exchanged for cash!

Seriously though, I think we should all stop washing. The idea of water retaining the memory of all those dirty people disgusts me. God, all those people and animals crapping in the Ganges makes my stomach turn.

....hahhh. kno your reply would be such. you are verypredictable mon capiTAN

no. what i MEAN isss. what IS....IS it? whatactually is it meaning? medical science dont know sos i thought i'd ask you seeing you seem t know itall.

An inactive substance against which investigational treatments are compared for efficacy. See also Placebo Controlled Study.
www.viralgenetics.com/inv_glossary.html

a pill, topical, or injection made to appear exactly like a test medication, but without any of its active ingredients.
www.americanhairloss.org/hair_loss_glossary/

An inactive substance or treatment that looks the same as, and is given the same way as, an active drug or treatment being tested. The effects of the active drug or treatment are compared to the effects of the placebo.
www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/key_terms

A pharmacologically inert substance that may elicit a significant reaction entirely because of the mental set of the patient or the physical setting in which the drug is taken.
www.addiction-rehabilitation.com/glossary.html

An inactive substance or dummy treatment administered to a control group to compare its' effects with a real substance, drug or treatment.
www.st-andrews.ac.uk/psychology/teaching/glossary.shtml

A placebo is an inactive pill, liquid, or powder that has no treatment value. In clinical trials, experimental treatments are often compared with placebos to assess the treatment's effectiveness. ...
www.acrohealth.org/glossary.php

(pla-see'bo)- An inactive substance resembling a medication, given for psychological effect or as a control in evaluating a medicine believed to be active. It is usually a tablet, capsule, or injection that contains a harmless substance but appears to be the same as the medicine being tested. ...
www.womens-wellness.com/Glossary.html

an inactive substance or treatment given to satisfy a patient's expectation for treatment. In some controlled trials (particularly of drug treatments) placebos that are made to be indistinguishable by patients (and providers when possible) from the true intervention are given to the control ...
www.nlm.nih.gov/nichsr/hta101/ta101014.html

inactive substances used in experimental blinded drug studies.
www.axcan.com/glossary.php

An inactive substance designed to resemble the drug being tested. It is used as a control, to increase the chance that differences in results between the groups reflect only the effects of the drug being tested.
www.dcri.duke.edu/patient/glossary.jsp

Originally a Latin word meaning 'I will please'. Now used for inactive substance (sham) given to participants of a research study in order to test the efficacy of another substance or treatment. ...
www.spondylitis.org/patient_resources/glossary.aspx

An inert substance used especially in controlled experiments testing the efficacy of another substance such as a drug
www.orthovisc.com/gldisplay.jhtml

An inactive substance used as a control in an experiment or test to determine the effectiveness of a medical drug.
student.biology.arizona.edu/honors98/group14/glossary.html

An inactive material in the same form as an active drug, for example, a sugar pill. See double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
search.alz.org/Resources/Glossary.asp

An inactive substance that looks the same as, and is administered in the same way as, a drug in a clinical trial.
www.stlukesregionalheartcenter.org/body.cfm

The sugar pill of research, often used to discourage a mysterious Mr. Hawthorne from making an untimely appearance. In the South, pronounced place-bo.
iis.stat.wright.edu/munsup.seoh/Box3_Bottom/A%20Devil's%20Dictionary.htm

A pharmacologically inactive substance given to a client
www.portal.nelm.nhs.uk/wpresources/DownloadDoc.aspx

an inert compound usually given to a portion of the subjects in a scientific experiment, in order to distinguish the psychological effects of the experiment from the physiological effects of the drug being tested.
www.medaus.com/p/147.html

A substance which is given that has no therapeutic value; often called a 'dummy pill' or 'sugar pill.' Often given to half of the patients in a trial of a new drug, to better assess the effectiveness of the new drug.
www.peteducation.com/dict_alpha_listing.cfm

A fake (sham, dummy, inert) treatment, given to people in a control group so they can't know whether or not they are in an experimental or control group. Placebos are meant to be both useless and harmless, so that they don't have any effect. ...
www.nihs.go.jp/dig/cochrane/cochrane/cngloss.htm

An inactive, harmless substance with no direct beneficial effects. Usually used in clinical studies for comparison to measure the effectiveness of an experimental drug or regimen.
www.ctri.wisc.edu/Home/Glossary.html

A placebo is an inactive substance. In blinded studies it is usually made to look like the active product. It may be considered a "sugar pill".
www.med.upenn.edu/ohr/terms.shtml

An inactive substance or “sugar pill” used in comparative studies. The placebo may be used in screening or washout periods or used as a comparator to determine the efficacy of a medication.
www.lillytrials.com/docs/terminology.html

A "look-alike" dummy pill that does not contain drug; placebos are often used in clinical trials.
www.thebody.com/content/art12696.html

An inactive substance which is administered during a clinical trial to determine the effectiveness of a drug. Patients receiving the placebo serve as the reference for comparison to the patients who received the drug under examination.
envirocancer.cornell.edu/Glossary/GL.index.cfm

an innocuous or inert medication; given as a pacifier or to the control group in experiments on the efficacy of a drug
(Roman Catholic Church) vespers of the office for the dead
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Placebo is an alternative rock band consisting of Brian Molko, Stefan Olsdal and Steve Hewitt. The band was founded in London in 1994 when Brian and Stefan, who went to the same school but apparently never spoke, met again by chance in London and subsequently formed 'Ashtray Heart'.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo (band)

Placebo is the self titled debut album by British rock band Placebo, released on the Virgin Records label on July 16, 1996. In 1998 Q magazine readers voted it the 87th greatest album of all time. The album was remastered and reissued on September 18, 2006 for the 10th Anniversary.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo (album)

A placebo is a preparation which is pharmacologically inert but which may have a medical effect based solely on the power of suggestion, a response known as the placebo effect or placebo response. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo (medicine)

An obsolete usage of the word placebo was to mean someone who came to a funeral claiming (often falsely) a connection with the deceased, to try to get a share of any food and/or drink being handed out at the funeral. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo (at funeral)

Seriously though, I think we should all stop washing. The idea of water retaining the memory of all those dirty people disgusts me. God, all those people and animals crapping in the Ganges makes my stomach turn.

Well, quite xD

Homeopathy = The gullible and desperate drinking water.

Probably good to keep yourself hydrated, but curing illnesses? Really.

It may have had something else in it originally, but its been removed. Therefore - it's still just water.

Utter madness.

Back