Have humans stopped evolving?

It doesn't seem like there can be a strong natural selection anymore. There is no survival of the fittest, we don't live and die by predators and prey. We keep the weak alive, and there's affirmative action where we actually give advantage to the vulnerable groups, the minorities and the needy ones. By virtue of keeping the dumb and weak alive, have we stopped evolving as a race? Does it have something to do with resource limitations and population growth.

What's your view on this?
We have become an influence in our own evolution, I would suggest, by our ever increasing ability to influence everything from our food supply to the type of habitat we can endure. These influences, added to the every changing influences of nature would logically have the potential to be cumulative and I would suggest that our rapid advancement of technology is evidence of an evolution of the functional ability of the human brain, a parameter which science is only now beginning to learn how to measure in detail.

I see the removal of wisdom teeth as a good business for dentist, Every idiot now is taking them out. because they are bothersome. So lady let your son wait they will come out it all depends on the age.

My son is 22. He has to wisdom teeth to pull. Evolution has decided we don't need them and he doesn't have any to ever be pulled. Our daughter only has the bottom 2, no top ones

I'm a bit of a rarity there. At 54, I still have all my wisdom teeth and they are no bother at all; I had enough room for them to come in normally.

I'm 46 and I still have my bottom wisdom teeth. I have no top ones, just like our daughter. I really should check with my brothers and see if they have wisdom teeth and if their kids do.

It doesn't seem like there can be a strong natural selection anymore. There is no survival of the fittest, we don't live and die by predators and prey.
No, but we live and die by our own interaction.

In the Paleolithic Era ("early stone age") there was no agriculture so people had to subsist on the meat they could hunt and the fruits and nuts they could gather--using only tools made of stone and wood. There was no food surplus--and even if there were, they had no pottery for storing it and they couldn't carry much with them, without wheels or draft animals. So in a bad year (low rainfall, competition from other predatory species, etc.) famine was a real threat. The only way to survive it was to fight with the tribe in the next valley and take over their hunting and gathering range. Humans were a pack-social species like wolves, hyenas and elephants, sharing their food with a small extended-family tribe that practiced efficient group-hunting techniques, but regarding other tribes as hated and feared competitors for scarce resources.

This pack-social instinct was programmed into our synapses by our DNA, and continued to be passed down even after we invented farming and animal husbandry (the twin technologies that comprise agriculture and launched the Neolithic Era or "late stone age") and no longer had to kill rival groups to survive. Humans had to learn to make peace with other tribes, having quickly discovered that economies of scale and division of labor (which are only possible in larger communities) increased productivity and allowed some people to have "jobs" outside of the food production and distribution "industry."

But as our communities became so large that everyone no longer knew everyone else personally, the pack-social instinct came to be a blessing and a curse. On the one hand it allowed people to live in harmony and cooperation with their neighbors, but on the other hand it caused them to be suspicious and hostile to the folks on the other side of town. As towns grew into cities, cities grew into states, states grew into nations, and (in our lifetime) transnational entities such as the E.U. arise, it's not easy for us all to feel a sense of collegiality with anonymous strangers thousands of miles away who are nothing more than abstractions to us.

Yet, most of the time, we do it! Why? This is my own hypothesis and since I'm not a biologist or psychologist I haven't discussed it with any professionals... but I see clear evidence that our pack-social instinct is evolving. We now live much more like herd-social (or perhaps flock-social) animals such as cattle and geese. We don't necessarily love all of our fellow humans, but most of the time we treat them with a minimal level of respect: not knocking the next bison over in our haste to find a tasty blade of grass and even showing him where the best grass is; not stepping on another wildebeest who slipped and fell down and even helping him up; not shitting in another goose's nest and even scaring off the crows that want to eat her eggs.

We are indeed evolving, but in the ways that are important to our species now, not 12,000 years ago when a stranger was automatically an enemy. It's not an evolution that's easy to see because we individual human beings don't look much different from our stone age ancestors. But boy oh boy our communities look so much different that our stone age ancestors wouldn't understand them. Giving strangers food? Working in cooperation with thousands of other people on a project that might not be completed in our lifetime? Having friendships with people we'll never meet, by clicking little plastic blocks and looking earnestly at a bunch of weird symbols on a backlit slab of something that looks vaguely like quartz?

I'm not sure that the average denizen of the Paleolithic Era could ever become comfortable in the Post-Industrial Era, even assuming that he's intelligent enough to learn how to work all of our large and small devices. He had different instincts. We have evolved beyond that.

We keep the weak alive, and there's affirmative action where we actually give advantage to the vulnerable groups, the minorities and the needy ones. By virtue of keeping the dumb and weak alive, have we stopped evolving as a race?
We've learned that both uniformly high intelligence and uniformly great strength are not necessary to keeping civilization running. There are plenty of jobs for stupid people--jobs that would bore a smart person to death. And there are plenty of jobs for weak people--jobs that would cause a strong person's muscles to atrophy. There are even jobs for people who are both weak and stupid, it's called "government." (Pardon the joke from a man who spent most of his lifetime in civil service.) Everybody doesn't have to be a genius or a champion weightlifter.

My son has no wisdom teeth. His orthodontist says he sees more of this than his dentist father did. Is that evolution? Do we really need wisdom teeth?
Not only do we not need wisdom teeth (and haven't since we learned how to cook our food) but they're a downright handicap. Janus's experience is rare; it's more common for them to crowd the other teeth, pushing and twisting them out of alignment and reducing the efficiency of our chewing. They often are impacted and have to be dug out and removed surgically. One of mine was growing sideways, creating a little breeding pocket for bacteria. It was difficult for even 15th-century dentists to solve these problems; a stone age healer with no precision metal instruments would have been flummoxed and some of his patients would have died.

Are we evolving physically, intellectually or which way.
You left out "emotionally." That's the way we've been evolving.

You can see this mirrored clearly in our dogs. They have not had to rely on natural selection because we've been culling the individuals who don't have the traits we want, so they have evolved faster. The traits we want, to a large extent, are the traits that make them lovable. Baby wolves bark, wag their tails, chase sticks and roughhouse good-naturedly, but they lose these behaviors in adulthood. We have bred dogs (which are actually just a subspecies of wolf: a Chihuahua and a Great Dane share more DNA with a wolf than with each other) for the phenomenon of neoteny: the retention of baby traits into adulthood. (BTW, lactose-tolerance in adult humans is also an example of neoteny; before the development of dairy farming only babies needed to be able to digest milk, and in places where milk-drinking never caught on lactose-intolerance is still almost universal.) Dogs have other emotional differences from wolves. Their alpha instinct is muted: they are much more gregarious, forming huge packs without fighting for leadership--which they happily relinquish to a member of another species who singlehandedly brings home an entire dead cow every two weeks.

Dogs have evolved emotionally to adapt to human civilization.

So have we. :)

My question was more directed evolving in a modern day society. Is society slowing down the process of evolution by decreasing the load of environmental pressures (keeping everyone alive). And if we are not in the jungle anymore, what advantageous traits does natural selection select for now.
In principle this is incorrect. To be specific is harder, but perhaps high functioning autism is an advantageous mutation. And I find your assumptions to be culturally biased. In fact, many humans still live in jungles and under primitive conditions. Modern industrial society could be just a blip in the hundred million year history of humanity. The very fact of increased population means more possibly advantageous mutations could occur. One recent one is the ability to digest lactose into adulthood. New diseases crop up all the time, people that can resist AIDS or the flu have an advantage. People that can resist heart disease or diabetes have an advantage since our diet has changed. There may not be as much of a selection pressure against bad vision, but there are always selection pressures. As long as people die before they reproduce, there will be selection. The mixing of peoples from various parts of the world also cause a change in the gene pool. Also recently, Europeans experienced a dramatic selection in terms of the black death, the effects of which are still detectible today in their DNA.

Modern industrial society could be just a blip in the hundred million year history of humanity.
Actually Homo sapiens arose only about 200,000 years ago, the only species that is identified as "human" (with the arguable addition of H. neanderthalensis). The first ancestral species with a rather large brain and fully bipedal walking (the two traits that qualify a species as "humanoid"), Ardipithecus, only goes back about seven million years.

It has been suggested that the invention of the technology of spoken language was the final development that allowed our ancestors to create more complex societies. This probably occurred around 70,000 years ago, since this is where we see evidence of the rather sudden appearance of complicated activities that couldn't possibly be coordinated without sophisticated communication, such as the first successful migration of humans out of Africa around 60KYA.

So we can probably narrow our timeline of study to the last thirty or forty thousand generations. Taking this more detailed view of our history, we see a rather steady series of advances occurring along the way: clothing, knots, the travois, musical instruments, painting with colored pigments, ceremonial activities, religion, astronomy, the bow and arrow...

The first true paradigm shift occurred a long time ago: the Agricultural Revolution ca. 12KYA. This changed the structure of human society. For example: to tend our crops and herds we had to stop being nomads; to exploit economies of scale and division of labor we had to learn to make peace with nearby tribes who had always been hated competitors for (formerly) scarce food.

Several other paradigm shifts have occurred over the millennia, and each one fundamentally changed the way we live and required us to diverge ever-further from the instinctive pack-social behavior of our Stone Age ancestors. Agriculture, civilization, metallurgy, industry, and now electronics bring us closer to a larger number of people (how many of you who are reading this don't live in my country, the USA, and will almost surely never meet me in person?) and farther from our hunter-gather ancestors.

You may be correct that the Industrial Revolution was just a blip in history because a mere 300 years later it's being eclipsed by the Electronic Revolution. But the point is that we continue to evolve. It's just that our evolution is now primarily emotional rather than anatomical. We have smaller families with whom we experience true intimacy, but a vastly larger circle of acquaintances whom we trust and cooperate with and appreciate, even if we might not invite them home for dinner. And beyond that, a huge circle of people who are nothing more than abstractions to us, yet we weep and send food and money when their towns are destroyed by earthquakes.

A Cro-Magnon would never have done this. We have evolved.

Natural selection is based on selective pressures from the natural world. Humans have added at least two wild card variables to the process. Humans can alter the environment thereby adding selective pressures to nature, that do not exist apart from humans. Cities are not part of the natural landscape and have their own optimized but unnatural adaptations. Humans also have subjective perception, which means we can add alternate interpretations to reality and sensory input data, and therefore alter how we react to natural or unnatural stimulus. For example, hunting for sport is not about food but trophy. Subjectivity alters what had been a very natural cause and effect of hunting=eating.

Abortion is not natural, since it requires willpower and artificial aids to perform. This is connected to subjective cultural philosophy which reproduces humans beyond the natural ability of nature to sustain. It sort of says everyone is selected to reproduce, which is not natural.

High population impacts evolution since a wider range of random changes can occur among larger populations. However, since human selection is not always natural, evolution can still be inhibited or detoured. For example, the pretty or handsome child may be selected, but this does not always mean natural practical skills. This is about subjective selection in culture. But on the other hand, sports like the Olympics are also important, with selection based on raw natural abilities like running. As the records break we have stronger and faster humans. However, we don't selectively breed these humans, like would occur in nature.

Medicine also adds a wild card variable. This artificial process allows de-selection pressures, since the natural body and mind is no longer the basis for selection; natural body plus artificial medicine. This can institutionalize genetic problems which would not have been sustained under the conditions of natural selection. I am not making a value judgement, but just stating the facts.

Conceptually, unnatural selection can offset natural selection so it appears to stagnate.

Abortion is not natural, since it requires willpower and artificial aids to perform. This is connected to subjective cultural philosophy which reproduces humans beyond the natural ability of nature to sustain. It sort of says everyone is selected to reproduce, which is not natural.
People who have studied the minute details of daily life in the Stone Age, like Jean Auel, tell us that natural abortifacents, while not as reliable as surgery, were known to, and administered by, the healers of that era. Every tribe occasionally has a woman who is beloved yet too frail to survive pregnancy, much less childbirth. This trumped their prime directive to keep having more babies, because eight of every ten died before puberty, and the tribe was always in danger of vanishing through attrition.

However, since human selection is not always natural, evolution can still be inhibited or detoured. For example, the pretty or handsome child may be selected, but this does not always mean natural practical skills. This is about subjective selection in culture.
As I noted in an earlier post, we are in the unique position of having another species handy (there's one lying on my feet right now) which has gone through much more rigorous "unnatural selection." The first lazy but adventurous wolves who tried to sneak into our middens (garbage dumps) and eat the perfectly good food that the foolish humans left lying around, were surely dumbfounded when the humans thanked them and began tossing their trash directly at them to keep the village clean. Eventually they began walking around the entire village, keeping bacteria and bugs from taking over the place, and they found that the crazy humans still appreciated this... so long as they remembered not to eat the baby humans.

But eventually humans began culling the herd. They cooked and ate the wolves that were still a little too wolf-like, but invited the ones who exhibited neoteny (playfulness, tail-wagging, barking, contentment within a large crowd, traits that wolf pups lose in adulthood) to move right into their homes and play with the human babies to keep them out of trouble, to use their rod-dominant eyes to keep predators from sneaking in at night, and to come along on hunting trips to use their fantastic noses and ears to help find prey.

We've continued to subject dogs to unnatural selection and you can see the results. Today there are breeds whose DNA is more closely related to a wild wolf than to each other, such as the Rottweiler and Shih-Tzu. There are breeds who have been bred to restore the old behaviors, such as hunting. And there are a few who have been bred in (what to me) is the most unnatural direction of all: to harm and kill other dogs and even humans.

We spent 12,000 years developing dogs who have, basically, only one common instinct: they love humans and would give their lives for us without hesitation. And now we want these wonderful animals, who in many ways are better than ourselves, to kill humans???

Medicine also adds a wild card variable. This artificial process allows de-selection pressures, since the natural body and mind is no longer the basis for selection; natural body plus artificial medicine. This can institutionalize genetic problems which would not have been sustained under the conditions of natural selection.
Sure. But modern civilization makes some of these genetic problems much less of a handicap. I assume that we all know Stephen Hawking? :) I don't know if he's ever contributed to a sperm bank, but if he has, I guarantee that there is a line of women who want that sperm, that goes around the block.

We're finding all kinds of new activities that people with all sorts of "handicaps" are just perfect for. For example, dyslexics and people with ADD make fantastically good managers. Why, you ask? Because they have no choice: They have to delegate! That's the single biggest problem in U.S. business, or at least in the IT industry, where I work. Every manager worked his way up from laying code, so when there's a crunch he'd rather lay some code than manage the people who ought to be laying it.

Conceptually, unnatural selection can offset natural selection so it appears to stagnate.
It can also select for traits whose value we don't recognize yet.

As I mentioned earlier, people in cities have to be more tolerant of the presence of strangers than people in the Paleolithic Era, with their extended-family clans of a few dozen people who had trusted and cared for each other since birth. Wait, not just tolerant. They had to feel a sense of harmony and cooperation with those strangers.

When a person from a Paleolithic tribe discovered a city or a large village, he was probably shaken to his sandals. He probably couldn't even bear to pass through the walls! Those people inside had already undergone a few generations of "unnatural selection" so they were reasonably content. He had not, and he was not.

After all, even today there are extroverts and introverts.

This is a thread that comes up about once a year.

At first I even thought this must be the same one from last year (etc.) that some passerby or newcomer had bumped-up to the top, from the stratified depths.

Back