Hate Crime Laws are Stupid

If a man throws acid in a woman's face because she has spurned him would it make it that much worse if he had done so because she was of a different color or religion? (I use acid attacks as an example only because there have been a dozen here this past month used against women all under the age of 25 and I find it the most cruel violence you can met out)

Who's in the what now? Where the hell is this?

Mostly because in the past, homosexuals and African Americans, as on example, were not protected duly by the criminal legislation. Hate crime laws force the legal authorities to prosecute and it gives the federal law enforcement the ability to investigate such crimes. That is what many of you don't seem to be grasping. In recent times, beating up a homosexual or a black person would result in little to now punishment. Now if a hate crime is reported, the law ensures that it needs to be investigated.

So you hated discrimination in the past, but you now approve of discrimination to ...ahhh, what.... right a wrong that was done in the past becasue of the discrimination that you don't like???

Is there good discrimination and bad discrimination? If so, who decides?

Violent crimes would normally be prosecuted. But until quite recently, crimes against racial minorities and homosexuals were not prosecuted or even reported.

So now you're advocating using racial (and whatever) discrimination so as to punish people who use discrimination to do their crime? Is this more of your "good" discrimination at work to foil the horrors of the "bad" discrimination?

You can think it as much as you damn well like. When you cross the boundary and commit an act of violence because of your bigoted thoughts, it becomes a hate crime. Quite simple really. You might not like it, but that's the way it is. So, suck it up Princess.

Hmm? What are you saying here, Bells? That all laws are good laws and no one should ever complain about them? If that's the case, Bells, then blacks would never have been allowed to vote or buy a house or anything. Do you like that law, Bells? Are you suggesting that the black in the early days of the USA should have just sucked it up and accepted the law?

The hate crimes laws are bad laws that are blatantly discriminatory. And if there's one thing that our Constitution stands for, it's that all men are equal under the law. The crime laws negate that very high principle ...and glorifies racial (and whatever) discrimination.

Baron Max

Who's in the what now? Where the hell is this?

The acid-in-the-face attacks? In Pakistan and Afghanistan. The victims were mostly young girl who did a "bad thing" by going to school. The Taliban and/or al Queda were the perpetrators.

Baron Max

Reading Bells post got me to thinking a little bit about this "hate crime" issue. And most of you know me well enough to know that I like to twist things up, turn them around, mash them into mush, then pull it all apart and look at it from different perspectives. So ....let's do that now.

For those of you who believe in using the "hate crime" designation for some crimes, let me ask you a question. Let's say that a black man is brutally killed by some racist white guys. The state designates it as a hate crime and they're ultimately convicted and sentenced to live in prison without parole. Okay so far?

Now ...let's say that instead of that victim being black, he's white ...same as the killers. They killed the white guy in the same brutal manner as the black guy above. The state does NOT designate it a hate crime, and it goes to trial. Okay?

Now y'all tell me .....should the same racist white guys get a lesser sentence for killing that white guy? Is the killing of the white guy somehow a lesser offense than killing the black guy, thus deserving of a lesser sentence?

And for those who will try to be dishonest in their responses, you can turn this around into a killing because of religion or ethnicity or sexual orientation or gender or whatever else is left. It's all the same ....does the exact same crime deserve a lesser sentence if the perpetrator and the victim are the same "thing"?

Baron Max

No one's social or political views are taken into consideration in the event of a hate crime, as racism is not a social or political view at all. All hate crimes do is to take someone;s inborn biases and hatreds are taken into account, the kind of primitive views that people hold on to because their brains never fully developed. Nothing new there.

The kind of hatred necessary to attack people and/or property isn't inborn. It's a learned value/social view. And, as a social view, I believe that it sets a dangerous precedent to use it to justify more punishment than a crime normally warrants.

Motive has always been a crucial part of any legal proceeding, and it helps to determine sentencing. So... why stop with racism?

Motive can be crucial in finding perpetrators and distinguishing between premeditated crimes and "crimes of passion". To the best of my knowledge, though, it's not common practice to use peoples' social views and values to determine the severity of crimes (aside from with hate-crimes, of course).

Yep! Absolutely! And perhaps that's exactly what "hate crimes legislation" is all about ...wanting harsher penalties, but unwilling to go the extra step to making them all harsher.

Maybe the next step will be adding more "things" so as to make the penalties harsher. Maybe this is just a way to get around all the mamby-pamby, liberal doo-gooder affection for criminals?

Baron Max

I don't buy it.

It seems more likely to me that this an attempt by politicians and political activists to use the power of the government to discourage social views that they find obnoxious. I also wouldn't be surprised if hate-crime laws eventually lead to hate-speech laws (slippery slope and all).

Look, there are people out there who would gladly kill a black person because they are a "nigger". In times gone by, some such individuals would have walked out of court with just a slap on the wrist. You can't deny it. It is a part of history. Hate crime laws are in place with the hope that those days are behind us.

So, in order to compensate for something that generally doesn't happen any longer, you want to subject people to Orwellian thought-crime laws?

Seems you folks are too hung up on the actual act. In the UK, we see 'hate crime' as more the inciting of racial hatred, and inciting people to act violently for no other reason than race. It's the cause of the crime we are trying to outlaw, as the crime clearly already is. Please try to not put your cart your before your horse here.

Seems you folks are too hung up on the actual act. In the UK, we see 'hate crime' as more the inciting of racial hatred, and inciting people to act violently for no other reason than race.

Well, sure, but that's a different law altogether! In fact, the USA had such laws against "incitement" years before the "hate crimes laws" were enacted.

But remember, it's two separate issues. The "hate crime" designation is ONLY used in the USA in order to punish the perpetrators more harshly than they otherwise would be sentenced. ...for the same exact crime!

It's the cause of the crime we are trying to outlaw, as the crime clearly already is.

That's easy ...just outlaw thinking! Or more to the point, outlaw thinking in any way except the way that Phlogistician thinks. Then the world will be a better place, right?

Baron Max

It seems more likely to me that (the hate crimes laws are) an attempt by politicians and political activists to use the power of the government to discourage social views that they find obnoxious. I also wouldn't be surprised if hate-crime laws eventually lead to hate-speech laws (slippery slope and all).

Yeah, it's quite likely, indeed.

And in the USA, our fed gov is grabbing more and more power from the local and state all the time - taking big, big chunks as they go!

Hate-speech laws? Yeah, they'll get to that very soon ...if they're not already workin' on it. But when they do, it'll be against the law to speak of hatred towards anyone .....OTHER THAN... white, anglo-saxon, christian people! :D

Baron Max

That's easy ...just outlaw thinking! Or more to the point, outlaw thinking in any way except the way that Phlogistician thinks. Then the world will be a better place, right?

Baron Max

I told you to stop stuffing straw men Max, and you ignored me. Any more dishonesty and you'll be back on my ignore list.

I told you to stop stuffing straw men Max, and you ignored me. Any more dishonesty and you'll be back on my ignore list.

It's interesting (and perhaps telling?) that you didn't answer anything else in my response to your post. Why?

It's funny, Phlog, that you can't ignore me without something or someone to tell you to! What else can't you do without someone or some thing telling you to do it? ...LOL!

Baron Max

But remember, it's two separate issues. The "hate crime" designation is ONLY used in the USA in order to punish the perpetrators more harshly than they otherwise would be sentenced. ...for the same exact crime!

No it is not the same crime. The intent is different. Standing at the window and aiming a gun at someone on the otherside and then firing and killing them is 1st degree murder. Doing the exact same thing with your eyes closed is 2nd degree murder and a lighter sentence. Killing them because they threatened your own or your child's life, even if premeditated can still be considered self defense. Intent is very important when it comes to sentencing and distinguishing one crime from another even though the end result was the same.

Think ....

Madanthonywayne said:

It just seems ridiculous that they mention the fact that it wasn't a hate crime as though that's some sort of mitigating factor. They even make a point of mentioning that he was beaten by a rainbow coalition of thugs rather than thugs whose racial background was uniformly different from that of the victim's. Cold comfort.

Can you prove that no reporter asked the question? Or that hate crimes aren't a concern in this particular community? Are you so cynical that it is impossible that the police spokesman was responding to a community concern, and instead just throwing some random tidbit out there for ... well, why?

Haven't you ever paid attention to what spokespeople actually do? Every organization is subject to inquiries of concern. If you're a corporate flak, you appease stockholders. If you're a political flak, you duck issues that get your boss in trouble. If you're a police spokesman, one of the groups on your list is the people who frequently communicate their concerns to the department: e.g., civic groups.

That something is or isn't a hate crime changes the needs a community must address in response to the event. As it is, these assailants must learn conflict resolution and common decency; this is a cross between an Archie comic and Animal House. For the community, the good news is that this incident isn't part of a wider ethnic rivalry issue; for the parents and students, the good news is that you don't have to add curbing racism to the list of responses. There may still be a race issue in the community, but this isn't about to inflame it.

And to you, such things may be ridiculous. But to those involved, they are important.

So you hated discrimination in the past, but you now approve of discrimination to ...ahhh, what.... right a wrong that was done in the past becasue of the discrimination that you don't like???

Is there good discrimination and bad discrimination? If so, who decides?

How is it discriminatory to provide protection from bigotry for all citizens?

Do you think it is discriminatory that a hate group cannot commit an act of violence or incite violence against another group or person?

So now you're advocating using racial (and whatever) discrimination so as to punish people who use discrimination to do their crime? Is this more of your "good" discrimination at work to foil the horrors of the "bad" discrimination?
You still just don't get it, do you?

Hmm? What are you saying here, Bells? That all laws are good laws and no one should ever complain about them? If that's the case, Bells, then blacks would never have been allowed to vote or buy a house or anything. Do you like that law, Bells? Are you suggesting that the black in the early days of the USA should have just sucked it up and accepted the law?
You can protest. I don't see you protesting. I only see you trolling.

Do you think it is discrimination to provide legal protection for all citizens against bigotry? If so, please explain yourself?

Laws that prevented Blacks from voting was discriminatory. Those laws did not provide any form of protection for a whole group of society. The laws now ensure that everyone is protected equally. What part of that don't you quite understand?

The hate crimes laws are bad laws that are blatantly discriminatory.
So you think laws that provide protection for all races, abled or disabled and that cover all sexual orientations is somehow "blatantly discriminatory"? Explain how.

And if there's one thing that our Constitution stands for, it's that all men are equal under the law.
Indeed. And this law applies to all men and women equally. What part of that don't you quite understand?

The crime laws negate that very high principle ...and glorifies racial (and whatever) discrimination.
No pet. The crime laws dictate that you cannot incite hatred or bigotry or violence based on your bigotry against anybody. Now please explain to me, how is that discrimination?

Now y'all tell me .....should the same racist white guys get a lesser sentence for killing that white guy? Is the killing of the white guy somehow a lesser offense than killing the black guy, thus deserving of a lesser sentence?
No they do not, nor would they be charged with a lesser sentence. Their sentence, if in your country, would be the death penalty. Now let me ask you a question, what if they killed the white guy because the white guy was married to a black, Muslim, Asian, Jewish or disabled woman or what if they killed him because he was homeless or disabled? And that was the only reason why they killed him... Do you know what the hate crime laws do then? It forces the authorities to investigate it, to find the motive. Their prison sentence would not change. They would be charged under a hate crime. Seriously now, what part of that don't you quite understand?

Hate crime laws are in place to force the authorities to investigate it, when they might not want to or refuse to. I would suggest you read up on the trial for the killers of Shepard. They were not tried under hate crime laws (had they been sentenced under hate crime laws, their penalty would have been the same). It was his murder that prompted the majority of your citizens to demand that homosexuals be included and be protected under your existing hate crime legislation, along with everyone else. Hate crime laws force the bigoted motive to be investigated and tried under. The sentence would not have been greater or lesser either way. Maybe one day that will sink into your skull.

It was his murder that prompted the majority of your citizens to demand that homosexuals be included and be protected under your existing hate crime legislation

His killers are serving life in prison. All crimes like this are hate crimes, this is Max's point.

Life in prison is the MAX they could have been sentenced to. You may be pro death penalty but they were sentenced to maximum allowable by law.

Last edited:
How is it discriminatory to provide protection from bigotry for all citizens?

How can they know it's discriminatory unless they, themselves, are being discriminatory? Isn't "justice" and "law enforcement" supposed to be non-discriminatory? Isn't justice supposed to be blind?

Do you think it is discriminatory that a hate group cannot commit an act of violence or incite violence against another group or person?

I think inciting acts of violence against anyone, whoever they are, should be illegal. And since justice is supposed to be blind, it shouldn't matter what either party's genetic makeup is or what their religion is, etc. See? No hate crime involved at all ...just plain ol' illegal incitement to violence.

You still just don't get it, do you?

No. And you obviously can't explain it or you wouldn't have resorted to such a dishonest response. Discrimination is wrong, Bells, whether it's used by rednecks in Texas or by the FBI in investigating crimes. Discrimination is discrimination. Got it now?

Laws that prevented Blacks from voting was discriminatory. Those laws did not provide any form of protection for a whole group of society. The laws now ensure that everyone is protected equally. What part of that don't you quite understand?

"...protected equally."??? You say that?? ...and yet you're here advocating that the justice department, as well as the courts and juries, use discrimination in order to prove that "hate crimes" have been committed, as well as to use discrimination to provide for a harsher sentence.

Is that what you're actually suggesting, Bells, ...more discrimination, just turned around the other way?

So you think laws that provide protection for all races, abled or disabled and that cover all sexual orientations is somehow "blatantly discriminatory"? Explain how.

No, Bells. And if you'd read my post you'd see that I made the distinction that "hate crime laws" are discriminatory, not regular ol' laws. But then you knew that, and wanted to use this as another bit of dishonesty, huh?

Indeed. And this law applies to all men and women equally. What part of that don't you quite understand?

But "hate crimes" designations are NOT applied equally. In fact, they're so blatantly discriminatory that everyone on Earth should stand up in protest against them.

... Do you know what the hate crime laws do then? It forces the authorities to investigate it, to find the motive. Their prison sentence would not change. They would be charged under a hate crime. Seriously now, what part of that don't you quite understand?

Bells, if the sentence wouldn't change, then why bother with the motive?

If the "hate crime" designation is used to influence the jury to find the man guilty, then that's the prosecution using discrimination as a tool to sway the jury to find him guilty when he might have gotten off. So see, it's discriminatory for the prosecutor to use such info. The justice system claims that discrimination is wrong, yet they use it to help convict the suspect??

Hate crime laws are in place to force the authorities to investigate it, when they might not want to or refuse to. I would suggest you read up on the trial for the killers of Shepard. They were not tried under hate crime laws (had they been sentenced under hate crime laws, their penalty would have been the same). ...

If the sentence wouldn't have changed, then why bother with the hate crimes designation? In the Shepard case, what would have changed, Bells, if the hate crimes designation had been used?

As for federal authorities stomping all over the local authorities, that bothers me a lot!

It was his murder that prompted the majority of your citizens to demand that homosexuals be included and be protected under your existing hate crime legislation, along with everyone else. Hate crime laws force the bigoted motive to be investigated and tried under. The sentence would not have been greater or lesser either way. Maybe one day that will sink into your skull.

Oh, it's sunk into my skull, Bells. Hate crimes designations are blatantly discriminatory and attempt to divide people into non-equal entities under the law ....which is against the principles of the Constitution.

But, Bells, you keep saying that the sentence wouldn't have been greater, but how can you know that? See? You're only fooling yourself, and in doing so, you're proving yourself a bigot and a racist in the worse way!

Baron Max

Back