Hallowe'en: The New Slant on Ethics and Political Correctness

Read Bradbury's The Halloween Tree. Hallowe'en is supposed to be the celebration of our fear of death. Or, at least, in a manner of speaking.

Tiassa said:
But this is Hallowe'en! This is our time! Grotesques are part of the celebration of the Mystery. To protest at this level makes no sense to me: it is self-invalidating. It's not even the thought of an oppressed group taking up political clout in such a manner--after all, I question those who award you such clout. But I just don't get it: Why not change the cultural paradigm instead of bitching? It's well-known among the pagan community that despite the best of intentions and sentiments, community service ratios are off compared to other social identifications. Certes, witches are not supposed to be evangelical, but for crimineezus sake, people, what could possibly be more evangelical than asserting status and making demands?

How many goth kids dress up as evil Christian preachers each year? Don't we owe it to our Christian neighbors, then, to put a stop to this practice, too?

Of course not. Grotesques are part of the celebration.

Take this attitude against grotesques to Mardi Gras. Head on down to the Big Easy and see what it gets you. Hop a broomstick and spirit yourselves off to Rio for the party. Protest the grotesque, and see what it gets you.

And in either case, if you're lucky, you'll merely be laughed out of town. And in either case, it has nothing to do with political labels, but rather reverence for the Mystery you claim to celebrate.

This goes beyond religion, folks. This is ... well beyond my experience for oversensitivity among pagans. We didn't let the Christians kill Hallowe'en, so what gives this time?

Anyway, further reading, including news and commentary, below.
Guilt; Although the most acute judges of the witches, and even the witches themselves were convinced of the the guilt of all witchery, the guilt nevertheless was nonexistent. It is thus with all guilt.
FN

Back