Halloween shooter is an evil, evil man

And you consider that "conatant", eh? How does that work out per capita? And how does it compare with your land of Oz?
I was curious about this as well.

Using Asguard's figures for overall gunshot injuries in the U.S. and data from this article:
Firearm-Related Morbidity in Australia, 1994–95 to 1998–99 (The only information Google readily turned up in a quick search)
In recent years there has been a significant drop in firearm-related deaths, and this paper now demonstrates a decline in hospital separations as a result of firearm-related injuries. Using hospital separation data in the five years to 1999, firearm-related injuries in Australia fell from 616 to 473—a reduction of 30 per cent.

The rate of firearm-related hospital separations per 100,000 population fell from 3.44 to 2.51. There is limited published information available on the number and types of firearms injuries recorded in Australia. The need for such information has become increasingly important, especially since the introduction of firearms regulations limiting access to firearms. This report provides a statistical overview of trends and patterns in firearm-related hospital separations in Australia and each of its eight States and Territories for the period 1994–95 to 1998–99
I come up with a rate of approximately 21.6 U.S. firearm related injuries per 100,000 population compared to the cited 2.5 in Australia? Can this be right?

Is my math wrong? Am I not comparing apples with apples? Wow.

52,447 deliberate + 23,237 accidental non-fatal U.S. gunshot injuries = 75,684
Guesstimate U.S. population at 350,000,000 / 100,000 = 35,000
75,684 / 35,000 = 21.624 gunshot injuries per 100,000 population????

Edit: I see Asguard beat me to it.

Mine was deaths not injuries though

Table 1 : Number of firearm related deaths
Year Accident Suicide Homicide Other (a) Total
(a) Other includes legal intervention and underdetermined deaths.
Source: Australian Institute of Criminology adapted from Australian Bureau of Statistics Underlying Cause of Death 1991-2001 [computer file]
1991 29 505 84 11 629
1992 24 488 96 14 622
1993 18 431 64 9 522
1994 20 420 76 13 529
1995 15 388 67 9 479
1996 30 382 104 5 521
1997 19 330 79 9 437
1998 21 234 57 15 327
1999 28 269 50 6 353
2000 45 222 57 7 331
2001 18 261 47 7 333

What does even 45 out of whole population equal per 100,000 let alone 18

Ok based on 3.1 million which was our aprox population in 2000 we get 1.45 for 20001 and 0.0322 for 2001 per 100,000

You forget that penalties can also serve as deterrents.
I've never been a strong supporter of "Making an example" of people. Even in malicious crimes. But in accidents? That, in itself, seems unethical to me.
Remorse can factor into sentencing, but I think it's ridiculous to assume that everyone would feel as guilty as you, and I also think it's dangerous to allow the expression of regret to be punishment enough. Just imagine how such a practice could be exploited. Also, what kind of deterrent is it when all one has to do is say they didn't mean it and apologize?
I think this argument has some merit but it gets carried away with it's own premise. For one thing, events are investigated because mostly all criminals profess innocence.
Since the article is oh-so-informative, we're left guessing as to how the investigation played out, whether there were witnesses, etc. Either way, one must give benefit of the doubt because it's far better to let a guilty man walk than to let an innocent man hang.
So, they inappropriately charge the man with higher crimes than he can be said to have committed. What are they going to deter here? Skunk shootings?
In the end, the family must be drawn through a Hospital recovery and possibly, a funeral AND a court case, sentencing and conviction as well. The only thing being deterred here is the desire to report such an incident for fear that the prosecutor will get out of line. It's teaching people to cover up events like this and that's a terrible thing.
Why was he shooting a skunk in the first place? Here's a radical idea, get the guns out of the hands of those who can't demonstrate a legitimate need for them (Defence, cops, park rangers, security guards, pest controlers, vets, farmers) and those who do lock them up at work when not in use and you won't have these constant stupid "accidents"
That is a radical idea.
"Constant????" Just how many accidental shootings do you think we have in the U.S. each year????
Ok based on 3.1 million which was our aprox population in 2000 we get 1.45 for 20001 and 0.0322 for 2001 per 100,000
Now let's compare that to how many preventable deaths occurred from wildlife attacks, such as rattlesnakes, cougars, etc. plus rapes, homicides and burglaries gone bad.
See, I grew up in California. Everyone walked around armed out there. It was not unusual to have a Snake Charmer strapped to your back.
Cougars (Mountain lions) were known to take babies right out of a swing. Parenting includes watching your children, training and teaching them and protecting them.
As a child I was trained and taught firearm safety. I never once pointed the muzzle at a human prior to turning 18. Even had one incident where my grandfather and I were hiking in the Sierra Nevada and my inattentive butt tripped over a tree root. I was embarrassed... I had actually tripped while carrying a rifle ( I was about 12, I had a .22 Marlin rimfire), but oddly, my grandfather didn't seem bothered by it at all. Along they way home- he stopped to get me a treat and of course, I questioned why. He said, "Because in the time it took you to go from perpendicular to horizontal and back to perpendicular again, your muzzle never stopped being pointed at the sky." That was when I realized what I had done without thought- Maintained firearm safety all throughout, maneuvering the rifle in a safe position the whole time and I wasn't even aware I had done it.

A blanket law taking away the right to fight back, to self defense and to protection, from either a wild critter to an armed burglar will only weaken the populace and create more death. 911 is not that fast. Cops don't drive the batmobile.
Training is more important. Parenting is more important.

Sorry why exactly are you using AUSTRALIAN figures to compare against US wildlife attacks?

Sorry why exactly are you using AUSTRALIAN figures to compare against US wildlife attacks?
My mistake. Was in a hurry what with all that typing and opinionating and all.

Might be better to compare U.S. to U.S. considering the case is in the U.S.
Plus, I'd wonder if Australia has more incidents with wildlife:p

Depends, what animals? Your not going to be able to shoot the deadly ones here, for starters most are protected species but also how are you going to shoot a funnel web spider? Snakes the best way to deal with them is to stand still, don't move and let them run away because that's what they want to do anyway,blue ringed octopus is the size of a 50 cent piece and live in rock pools so good luck shooting one, came toads are toxic even when dead, good luck shooting a great white shark or a croc and if you do you will be charged anyway because they are protected species

Depends, what animals? Your not going to be able to shoot the deadly ones here, for starters most are protected species but also how are you going to shoot a funnel web spider? Snakes the best way to deal with them is to stand still, don't move and let them run away because that's what they want to do anyway,blue ringed octopus is the size of a 50 cent piece and live in rock pools so good luck shooting one, came toads are toxic even when dead, good luck shooting a great white shark or a croc and if you do you will be charged anyway because they are protected species
Nice examples of some difficult to shoot Australian threats, after we covered that we should discuss U.S. stats only...

I guess you have a point though. If we can't shoot somethings that may threaten us, we should just give up and die.

You asked if we have more incidents with wildlife, well I know the perception is that ever species in the country wants to kill you except the koalas (which is amusing because those things are really evil when you see them up close)

As for giving up and dying you could do that or you could take responsibility for yourself, a gun won't save you from most of the common threats in Australia even if you have one. Brains will, the funnel web is the most deadly spider in the world and is the most aggressive too and will keep bitting you and it lives in suburban Sydney where the single largest population group is AND it's in plague proportions so heeps of people die every year from funnel web bites right? Wrong, acording to this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_funnel-web_spider#section_2

There have only been 27 deaths in hundred years because people take responsibility for themselves. They don't act like they have a right to "stand my ground" they back off, they call pest controllers who are trained to deal with them

Same goes for snakes, you are more likely to be bitten trying to kill a snake than standing perfectly still and letting it go about its business your to big to eat so why would it

Crocs you stay out of there way, you observe the no swimming signs and if you see one you call wildlife protection officers who will move it to a safer area

See the difference in attitude? It's not about "I have a gun stay out of my way" it's about taking precautions, knowing the dangers and dealing with them sensibly, guns just make problems worse

I've never been a strong supporter of "Making an example" of people. Even in malicious crimes. But in accidents? That, in itself, seems unethical to me.

Consider that making such obviously careless and reckless behavior illegal, you make people think twice before participating. That's where the deterrent comes in. As for the accident bit, I mean, if I hogtie you, string from up from a tree, and accidentally drop you on your head, shouldn't I be accountable? It's fair to ask the question of where the line is drawn between what's acceptable as an unpunishable accident, but you seem to be suggesting that there isn't a line, and that so long as it's an accident, regardless of the situation, it shouldn't be punishable by the law. I can't understand that thinking.

I think this argument has some merit but it gets carried away with it's own premise. For one thing, events are investigated because mostly all criminals profess innocence.
Since the article is oh-so-informative, we're left guessing as to how the investigation played out, whether there were witnesses, etc. Either way, one must give benefit of the doubt because it's far better to let a guilty man walk than to let an innocent man hang.

I disagree with both giving the benefit of the doubt and that this man is in any way innocent. I don't know how giving the benefit of the doubt applies at all, so I don't really know what else to say about that. As for his innocence, look, he shot his 8-year-old cousin. This means at the very least he used a gun without making sure there was nobody around. It's one thing if he's shooting at home invaders, but there is no necessity in shooting a skunk, and he clearly didn't practice the utmost safety. To me, and to the law, that means he's not innocent at all. And I'd really love to hear your argument for how the hell this guy is innocent of anything.

So, they inappropriately charge the man with higher crimes than he can be said to have committed. What are they going to deter here? Skunk shootings?

Where is it said that he's charged with higher crimes than he actually committed? Perhaps you missed the bit where I pointed out that assault does not always take intent into account? Also, what if he was trying to hurt her? Oh, is this where the benefit of the doubt part comes in? I can't accept that, sorry.

As for what it's meant to deter, I would think the answer is obvious: Reckless gunplay.

In the end, the family must be drawn through a Hospital recovery and possibly, a funeral AND a court case, sentencing and conviction as well. The only thing being deterred here is the desire to report such an incident for fear that the prosecutor will get out of line. It's teaching people to cover up events like this and that's a terrible thing.

That's a really skewed way to look at it. Instead of blaming the state for trying to maintain some semblance of order, maybe you should put the onus on the idiot who shot his 8-year-old cousin. This guy, in his lust for skunk blood, nearly kills his cousin, and he needs to be held accountable for that. Maybe he feels guilty, maybe he doesn't, but we already know that leaving humans to their own devices isn't enough. There needs to be deterrents in place to make people think twice before they do something stupid.

As for the accident bit, I mean, if I hogtie you, string from up from a tree, and accidentally drop you on your head, shouldn't I be accountable?
Does hogtying someone and stringing them up from a tree sound accidental to you? Apples to oranges.
I disagree with both giving the benefit of the doubt and that this man is in any way innocent.
Unless you're privy to knowledge I have not seen, you have no way of jumping to that conclusion.
As for his innocence, look, he shot his 8-year-old cousin. This means at the very least he used a gun without making sure there was nobody around.
Total hogwash- For one thing, You have no idea what steps he took before firing. You haven't got a single clue.
You're just guessing. He may have been a complete fool--he may have called out several times. We do not know.
Secondly, he was reported to have shot AT the person under the mistaken belief that person was something else entirely. An error in judgment, perhaps, but that's not to say one needs to jump through fifteen deliberate steps every time they choose to take deliberate and concise action.
By the time they jumped through all the hoops, the threat will have taken care of itself, one way or another.
It's one thing if he's shooting at home invaders,
Guy in California shot his girlfriend to death believing she was a home invader...
but there is no necessity in shooting a skunk, and he clearly didn't practice the utmost safety. To me, and to the law, that means he's not innocent at all.
Hogwash, again. Whether you deem it necessary to shoot a skunk is irrelevant to whether or not he deemed it was necessary. Perhaps you don't have a major bad skunk problem and he did. You don't know and I don't know.
Whether he acted for gun safety is also an unknown. Neither you, nor I, know whether or not he called out before firing and the child did not respond or what. You have no clue. You're basically just making up the facts as you go along, here.
As to innocence- it's a matter of degree. Was he innocent of gun safety? Unknown. Likely not. But still unknown.
Was he innocent of Aggravated Assault? Most likely. Also, unknown.
Where is it said that he's charged with higher crimes than he actually committed?
It is said in this thread. The article barely said squat. He was charged with three, at least, charges. One seems reasonable enough- the aggravated assault charge, however, seems to be taking it too far. I'm questioning the heavy charges. Not declaring the man as 100% innocent.
Perhaps you missed the bit where I pointed out that assault does not always take intent into account?
attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon. In all jurisdictions statutes punish such aggravated assaults as assault with intent to murder (or rob or kill or rape) and assault with a dangerous (or deadly) weapon more severely than "simple" assaults.
Also, what if he was trying to hurt her?
What if he was trying to shoot a skunk?
Unless you're privy to information the rest of us do not have, you have no basis to jump to conclusions, yet. If you have that information, please share it.
Oh, is this where the benefit of the doubt part comes in? I can't accept that, sorry.
Too bad because the law is actually on my side, not yours. Benefit of the doubt is a major component of criminal trials, as is innocent until demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt to be guilty.
Funny 180 that you've done here...
That's a really skewed way to look at it. Instead of blaming the state for trying to maintain some semblance of order, maybe you should put the onus on the idiot who shot his 8-year-old cousin.
The onus is on him as well. See below;
This guy, in his lust for skunk blood, nearly kills his cousin, and he needs to be held accountable for that.
Who is claiming there is no accountability for it? Do you honestly believe he wouldn't be held accountable even if he served no jail time? Is jail time the ONLY form of accountability that exists? Which is my point.
There is a difference between reckless endangerment and Aggravated Assault.

Last edited:
A thing about why someone would feel compelled to shoot a skunk:
At close range, their chemical spray can blind a person. It's not just a matter of smell- which is bad, but to a small child that gets skunked full on in the face, a skunk can be dangerous. But that's not the real issue with skunks and porcupines, which are both a nuisance in many areas.

It's because they chew.

They are a threat to property and health - I've literally seen structures fall down due to damages that was caused by the excessive chewing on the foundation.
When we built structures in the Sierra Nevada, we had to ensure thick treated lumber was used on the foundations and usually, we treated them further.
Now, I never saw, fortunately, a structure collapse while a person occupied it- I only saw it ever happen once. The other time, the structure leaned and partly collapsed but stayed mostly standing- and it, too, was unoccupied. But the chewing issue, like people killing rats, is a hefty problem.
This is a probable reason why people would shoot, trap, poison, etc, a skunk.

If someone set skunk traps or poison and a child got into it, later, people wouldn't be pushing an aggravated assault charge.

The "reckless" analogy falls down. While either could be speculated as reckless, the man did not hogtie a person, tie them up in a tree and then evince surprise when they fell down. He was addressing a different threat, without human involvement and we do not even know whether or not he knew that his cousin was even on the property or not.
He may have been aware, he may have been drunk, he may have called out "Anyone there?" before firing- we do not know and jumping to conclusions to support the notion of "Charge him heavily!"

I'm just speculating here, not a lawyer, not a cop. but I can imagine that when a life is endangered or lost, the DA has to take measures to ensure that a thorough investigation takes place. I don't know what red tape has to be considered when the city government decides which cases are worthy of the funds necessary to investigate. But I can imagine the bureaucracy behind the scenes is no piece of cake. It may be that heavy charges have to be in place in order to ensure such an investigation takes place. It may also be deemed necessary to have heavy charges to ensure that the person in question does not flee. It may be that through the course of the investigation they will decide that his story is substantiated and the charges get dropped. The investigation may also return reasonable suspicion that the accident was no accident at all and he fully intended to shoot the kid and assumed it would be seen as an accident. We won't know until the investigation is complete and the case is taken to trial.

I don't disagree that it sucks for the family because they face losing two members of their family right now. It cannot be easy. But I don't think the state is willing to risk overlooking something that very well could be more sinister than it appears on the surface simply because people are hurting. The truth has to be discovered, and it may be that the bureaucratic red tape requires charges in order to facilitate funds and man hours to the investigation as well as allowing the state to hold a suspect in custody.

Does hogtying someone and stringing them up from a tree sound accidental to you?

No, but neither was the discharge of this guy's gun. He meant to shoot it. He just (allegedly) didn't mean to shoot her. Just as I didn't mean to drop you on your head. Now answer the question: Should I be held accountable for that?

Unless you're privy to knowledge I have not seen, you have no way of jumping to that conclusion.

I'm not saying that we should assume he did it on purpose, I'm saying there's no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. My point about his innocence is that he fired his gun unsafely, putting young children at risk, meaning that he's not actually innocent.

Total hogwash- For one thing, You have no idea what steps he took before firing. You haven't got a single clue.

Oh sure I do. I can tell you exactly what he didn't do: He didn't check to see where his cousin was, and he didn't tell anyone he was about to fire a gun.

Secondly, he was reported to have shot AT the person under the mistaken belief that person was something else entirely. An error in judgment, perhaps, but that's not to say one needs to jump through fifteen deliberate steps every time they choose to take deliberate and concise action.

When they're shooting a gun they do.

By the time they jumped through all the hoops, the threat will have taken care of itself, one way or another.

Threat? He thought it was a skunk. Even by his own admission, his own life wasn't in danger.

Guy in California shot his girlfriend to death believing she was a home invader... You sure that's "one thing?" I wonder how you'd debate his fate if that was a thread?

At least if he thought it was a home invader, he'd have plausible reason to believe his life was in danger. I still would question the necessity of sniping someone in your home when you could simply ask who's there, but when you believe your life is in danger, you don't always act prudently. That's not an excuse for recklessness, of course, but it's easier to understand.

Hogwash, again. Whether you deem it necessary to shoot a skunk is irrelevant to whether or not he deemed it was necessary. Perhaps you don't have a major bad skunk problem and he did. You don't know and I don't know.

No, that's not how that works. Skunks are not an immediate threat to your life, so you don't get to use fight or flight as a defense.

Whether he acted for gun safety is also an unknown. Neither you, nor I, know whether or not he called out before firing and the child did not respond or what. You have no clue. You're basically just making up the facts as you go along, here.

No, I do have a clue. Maybe you missed this part, but he shot his 8-year-old cousin. The fact that he shot another human being means he wasn't exercising gun safety.

As to innocence- it's a matter of degree. Was he innocent of gun safety? Unknown. Likely not. But still unknown.
Was he innocent of Aggravated Assault? Most likely. Also, unknown.

I just spat soda all of my screen, dude. I hope you're joking. But since you're probably not, let me just say, "Wow." I mean, if aggravated assault in his district doesn't take intent into account, then he's guilty regardless because he caused excessive harm in a violent way to another human being, so I don't know where you get the idea that he's "most likely" innocent (you still haven't explained this, by the way; don't think I haven't noticed you ducking this).

If that was true, you'd actually read what I write.
As well as comprehend it.

Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I was assuming that you had a better argument than "Because he didn't mean it." I really need to stop overestimating you.

It is said in this thread. The article barely said squat.

By you, talking out of your backside. From Findlaw:

Depending on the state, reckless behavior can also constitute aggravated assault for example when someone acts with reckless indifference to human life, but without the specific intent to injure any particular person. If a dangerous or deadly weapon is involved, an assault may become aggravated even without any specific intent to injure.

The Aggravated Assault statute on the books in Pennsylvania, where the crime occurred:

(a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of aggravated
assault if he:
(1) attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another,
or causes such injury intentionally, knowingly or recklessly
under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the
value of human life;
(2) attempts to cause or intentionally, knowingly or
recklessly causes serious bodily injury to any of the
officers, agents, employees or other persons enumerated in
subsection

So what matters is harm done, not intent, as evidenced by "intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly."

What if he was trying to shoot a skunk?

Then he should have made sure it was really a skunk, and not, say, his 8-year-old cousin.

Unless you're privy to information the rest of us do not have, you have no basis to jump to conclusions, yet. If you have that information, please share it.

The only conclusion I've come to is that he acted recklessly, and that was no jump. Meanwhile, you've already decided that he didn't do it on purpose. So who's jumping to what now?

Too bad because the law is actually on my side, not yours. Benefit of the doubt is a major component of criminal trials, as is innocent until demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt to be guilty.

Like I said, I wasn't entirely clear on how you meant "we must give the benefit of the doubt," because you weren't clear in presenting the idea. Obviously I agree with the concept of innocent until proven guilty, but it doesn't seem like that's what you meant. It would just be so out of place if that was the context. But whatever, if that's what you meant, I agree.

The onus is on him as well. This is where your readong comprehension falls down.

No, this is where me nailing you to a wall hurts you and react with childish ad hom. You have said that if he didn't meant to shoot her, then he shouldn't be criminally liable, so there is no onus on him, by your own argument.

Who is claiming there is no accountability for it? Do you honestly believe he wouldn't be held accountable even if he served no jail time? Is jail time the ONLY form of accountability that exists?

In our society, it's the only one that matters. Maybe you're satisfied leaving a man to his shame, but I'm not.

There is a difference between reckless endangerment and Aggravated Assault.

Yes. Reckless endangerment means to put another person in harms way, while aggravated assault is actually hurting them. By my count, he's guilty of both. He'll likely plea bargain down from that, but by the definition of the law, he is guilty of those crimes.

But you already know for a fact that he intended to kill his cousin and concocted the skunk story as the most believable cover...:rolleyes:

Resorting to lies now? Show me where I said that I know for a fact that he intended to kill his cousin and concocted the skunk story. Show me, and I won't report you for lying.

No, but neither was the discharge of this guy's gun. He meant to shoot it. He just (allegedly) didn't mean to shoot her. Just as I didn't mean to drop you on your head. Now answer the question: Should I be held accountable for that?
In all my life, such accidents were usually taken care of without jailtime. Your analogy fails for the reasons I clarified in post 32. He did not place the child in the way, he mistook the child for something else entirely according to the story. It's a very different scenerio.
I'm not saying that we should assume he did it on purpose, I'm saying there's no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. My point about his innocence is that he fired his gun unsafely, putting young children at risk, meaning that he's not actually innocent.
You are speculating- as I already pointed out, you have no idea what actions he actually took. There is reason, for us at this time, to give him benefit of the doubt and there is reason, in a court of law, as well.
and he didn't tell anyone he was about to fire a gun.
You say this with too much certainty- you do not know if he did or did not.
No, that's not how that works. Skunks are not an immediate threat to your life, so you don't get to use fight or flight as a defense.
Red herring. Whether his life was in immediate danger is irrelevant to his purposes of firing at a skunk- see post #32.
The fact that he shot another human being means he wasn't exercising gun safety.
Incorrect. It means that he accidentally shot another person. It cannot be precluded that he was or was not exercising safety. For example, speculate that he called out three times before firing, and the child, playing hide and seek, remained quiet in spite of the warnings called out. You absolutely are jumping to conclusions. Think about it.
(you still haven't explained this, by the way; don't think I haven't noticed you ducking this).
I have not ducked it at all. You're failure to read and comprehend my posts does not preclude that I ducked anything. I have repeatedly pointed out that he's most likely innocent of having intent to harm a child with a firearm. You, on the other hand, speculated that he intended to shoot her and invented the skunk tale as a cover.
Also, what if he was trying to hurt her?
Seen here. You speculate wildly about his "apparent" guilt of First Degree Murder.
So what matters is harm done, not intent, as evidenced by "intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly."
Thus; Reckless Endangerment Charge. So why the needless higher charges? Traumatic for the family- so let's add as much as we can and really give it to 'em hard.
Like I said, I wasn't entirely clear on how you meant "we must give the benefit of the doubt," because you weren't clear in presenting the idea. Obviously I agree with the concept of innocent until proven guilty, but it doesn't seem like that's what you meant. It would just be so out of place if that was the context. But whatever, if that's what you meant, I agree.
I'm not following you here at all- You're making a lot of speculations as to whether he practiced any safety, and even speculated as to his intent to harm the cousin, yet now you profess to agree with benefit of the doubt and innocent until proven guilty? After you've delacared several times I must explain his supposed innocence to you? Do you see a disconnect, here?
No, this is where me nailing you to a wall hurts you and react with childish ad hom. You have said that if he didn't meant to shoot her, then he shouldn't be criminally liable, so there is no onus on him, by your own argument.
You're misrepresenting what I had said.

I have been clear that the charges seem too heavy- and that the onus of accountability is on him- thus my question to you as to whether or not accountability must only include jail time.
In our society, it's the only one that matters. Maybe you're satisfied leaving a man to his shame, but I'm not.
Maybe it's the only one that matters to you, that doesn't mean society is in agreement with you. In fact, it appears that society is not in agreement with you considering how the law is written and the great many of examples available that people are left without jail time for harmful acts. Perhaps you think that because you believe such- all of society does as well- automatically. This is not the case.
Resorting to lies now? Show me where I said that I know for a fact that he intended to kill his cousin and concocted the skunk story. Show me, and I won't report you for lying.
You'll notice I had edited my post, in a fit of self control, long before you posted your reply.
So this part was removed- However, I quoted you above where you speculate that he deliberately shot his cousin with intent. You'll also note the eyeroll in the comment-it's sarcasm about your apparent desire to declare guilty until proven innocent.

So if you wish to report my posts- Be My Guest.

I see a tremendous amount of speculation here. I would strongly suggest that people like Balerion just back off until more details are released!

In all my life, such accidents were usually taken care of without jailtime. Your analogy fails for the reasons I clarified in post 32. He did not place the child in the way, he mistook the child for something else entirely according to the story. It's a very different scenerio.

No it isn't. You've drawn this imaginary ethical and legal distinction between mistaking a child for a skunk and placing the child in harm's way, but neither I nor the state of Pennsylvania agrees with it. He should have made sure his young cousin--who was playing hide and seek on the property--was not in the vicinity. By firing his gun without making sure there were no people in the way, he was recklessly negligent and rightfully subject to charges.

You are speculating- as I already pointed out, you have no idea what actions he actually took. There is reason, for us at this time, to give him benefit of the doubt and there is reason, in a court of law, as well.

No there's not. The fact that he shot his cousin tells me he didn't bother to check to see where she was, and that he didn't tell anyone he was going to discharge a firearm. That much is clear, and you're being dishonest if you say it isn't. All that's unclear is what his intent was.

You say this with too much certainty- you do not know if he did or did not.

I have a pretty good idea he never told his cousin. Otherwise she wouldn't have been in the way.

Red herring. Whether his life was in immediate danger is irrelevant to his purposes of firing at a skunk- see post #32.

Wrong again. The reason his life being in danger is relevant is because such a condition would allow for some legal and ethical leeway. It's called self-defense. If you accidentally kill someone while defending yourself against an immediate threat, then you're almost certainly not going to be charged. However, because he was not in any immediate danger, his actions can be considered reckless and unnecessary, which they have been by the state. It doesn't matter what a skunk can do to your property; no one's saying firing at a skunk is illegal. All I'm saying is that unless the skunk is about to kill you, you had better make sure you're not putting anyone else in harm's way by firing that gun.

As for your "Post 32:"

If someone set skunk traps or poison and a child got into it, later, people wouldn't be pushing an aggravated assault charge.

It would all depend. Did he put it in a place where the child could get to it and failed to tell the child about it? If he did, then guess what? He'd be subject to aggravated assault charges.

The "reckless" analogy falls down. While either could be speculated as reckless, the man did not hogtie a person, tie them up in a tree and then evince surprise when they fell down. He was addressing a different threat, without human involvement and we do not even know whether or not he knew that his cousin was even on the property or not.

Again with these false distinctions. You're just making it up as you go. The skunk was not an immediate threat to his person, and so the idea that he was "addressing a threat" doesn't stand up. Whether he knew the child was on his property or not is not entirely relevant, as if he had expected them, or if he ever had regular visitors would be reason enough to expect more caution being exercised when discharging the gun. That his cousin was already in the middle of a game of hide-and-seek suggests that he knew they were on the premises.

He may have been aware, he may have been drunk, he may have called out "Anyone there?" before firing- we do not know and jumping to conclusions to support the notion of "Charge him heavily!"

Calling out "Anyone there," may not even be enough to satisfy the law, considering the party in question was an 8-year-old playing hide and seek who would therefore not answer when asked if they were there. But, you know, details, right?

Incorrect. It means that he accidentally shot another person.

Hysterical. You're riding me about jumping to conclusions, yet here you are jumping to the conclusion that it was an accident. Are you not even trying at this point?

It cannot be precluded that he was or was not exercising safety. For example, speculate that he called out three times before firing, and the child, playing hide and seek, remained quiet in spite of the warnings called out. You absolutely are jumping to conclusions. Think about it.

That would still be on him. What makes you think that the child's game absolves him of any responsibility? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I have not ducked it at all. You're failure to read and comprehend my posts does not preclude that I ducked anything. I have repeatedly pointed out that he's most likely innocent of having intent to harm a child with a firearm. You, on the other hand, speculated that he intended to shoot her and invented the skunk tale as a cover.

First of all, I find it funny when someone commits an embarrassing typo when they are in the middle of insulting someone else's intelligence. The irony is positively delicious. I don't normally point out such errors, since I make enough of them myself, but when someone's about to call me stupid, and they drop a "you're" instead of a "your," I can't help but bring it up.

Anyway, your point here is of course nonsense. Yes, you have said that he is most likely innocent of intentionally shooting his cousin, but you haven't explained how you've arrived at this "most likely," nor have you explained how he is therefore innocent altogether. I hope by now you've realized that intent is not the deciding factor as the law sees it in Pennsylvania? So you still haven't explained how he's innocent.

Also, I've only speculated that he did this intentionally as an alternative to our other speculations. I didn't say that was what happened, or even say that's what I thought happened. I only offered it as an alternative.

Seen here. You speculate wildly about his "apparent" guilt of First Degree Murder.

Seen where? Where do I say that he's guilty of first degree murder?

Thus; Reckless Endangerment Charge. So why the needless higher charges? Traumatic for the family- so let's add as much as we can and really give it to 'em hard.

Seriously? Sigh. Okay, let's try again:

Reckless endangerment is the act of putting them in danger, understand? Aggravated assault is the act of harming them under those conditions. Do you see the difference now?

I'm not following you here at all- You're making a lot of speculations as to whether he practiced any safety, and even speculated as to his intent to harm the cousin, yet now you profess to agree with benefit of the doubt and innocent until proven guilty? After you've delacared several times I must explain his supposed innocence to you? Do you see a disconnect, here?

No, obviously not, because the disconnect is one you've invented as opposed to pointed out in the actual discussion. Just going by what information we have (Man shoots child cousin mistaken for skunk) we can draw several conclusions regarding his recklessness or lack thereof. I don't know whether or not he intended to do so, and as you so dishonestly overlook, I've made that clear several times. In other words, I'm not jumping to any conclusions. The conclusions I have reached are based on what little facts we have, and are reasonable enough given them. (Meanwhile, you've already decided his intent was most likely not to harm his cousin, and you can't see why that's not doing exactly what you're accusing me of) The point is, reasonable doubt only applies where there's--you guessed it--reasonable doubt. There is no reasonable doubt here, in my estimation. The way I see it, he clearly acted recklessly, and is guilty of the crimes he has been charged with. But perhaps new details emerge, who knows. But from what information I have, I can't see it unfolding any other way.

You're misrepresenting what I had said.

I have been clear that the charges seem too heavy- and that the onus of accountability is on him- thus my question to you as to whether or not accountability must only include jail time.

And I answered that question. So basically your argument is that he should, what, get a fine? What's your alternative solution to this?

Maybe it's the only one that matters to you, that doesn't mean society is in agreement with you. In fact, it appears that society is not in agreement with you considering how the law is written and the great many of examples available that people are left without jail time for harmful acts. Perhaps you think that because you believe such- all of society does as well- automatically. This is not the case.

Except that the way the law is written in Pennsylvania agrees with my position, (I'm assuming at this point that you've read the quotes from the PA lawbooks) so this all seems like a straw man. I haven't argued that all violent acts should end in prison time. I've never said that. What I said was that if you are recklessly negligent in causing harm to someone else, you should be criminally accountable, and that I agree with the charges filed against this numbnuts who shot his little cousin in the neck because he thought she was a mutant skunk.

You'll notice I had edited my post, in a fit of self control, long before you posted your reply.

Oh, so you lied and then tried to take it back. Sorry you couldn't cover your tracks in time.

So this part was removed- However, I quoted you above where you speculate that he deliberately shot his cousin with intent. You'll also note the eyeroll in the comment-it's sarcasm about your apparent desire to declare guilty until proven innocent.

The eyeroll doesn't magically absolve you of wrongdoing. You lied, you know you lied, and you tried to remove it from the record. Let's not pretend now that you really had any cause to say that I said I knew for a fact he was guilty of intentionally shooting his cousin. You most certainly did not, and you're still misrepresenting me by acting as if I was being irrational or irresponsible. The context of that passage was that there wasn't any scenario in which he wasn't guilty of something; if it was an accident, he's guilty of being reckless, if he did it on purpose, he's guilty of much more. You even agreed with me on this, saying "This speculation is also possible." So obviously you didn't find anything wrong with me saying it then. It's only later, after your points had been soundly defeated, that you acted as if I was somehow acting maliciously by offering that as an alternative course of events. Your argument has become entirely rhetorical rather than substantive, as evidenced by these cheap and dishonest attempts to misrepresent me.

Perhaps you should simply admit defeat and move on. Hell, I'd even settle for an "agree to disagree." It's better than watching you flounder like this.

So if you wish to report my posts- Be My Guest.

No, the fact that you later edited your post is appreciated, no matter how self-serving the effort was. It's more than most would have done, so I can let it slide.

Thanks for your magnanimity.
In the meantime, I started reading over the long post above.. reading turned into glancing after I realized you're more interested in finding a why to support your position than in examining the merits. Glancing turned into scrolling. Then I read the last few lines. You claim I lied, know I lied and am floundering. Whatever troop.
I'm not the one inventing facts to support my preconceptions of absolute guilt here. 'Let it slide...'

Riiight.

Thanks for your magnanimity.
In the meantime, I started reading over the long post above.. reading turned into glancing after I realized you're more interested in finding a why to support your position than in examining the merits. Glancing turned into scrolling. Then I read the last few lines. You claim I lied, know I lied and am floundering. Whatever troop.
I'm not the one inventing facts to support my preconceptions of absolute guilt here. 'Let it slide...'

Riiight.

I'll take that to mean you don't have a good response to my points. Thanks for playing.

Oh, and don't think I didn't notice the "inventing facts" bit. Get your cheap shots in while you walk away.

I'll take that to mean you don't have a good response to my points. Thanks for playing.

Oh, and don't think I didn't notice the "inventing facts" bit. Get your cheap shots in while you walk away.

More like: You've invented the facts to suit your position then created a very long and incoherent post explaining such. You're right- I don't have a good response to that. It's not a cheap shot- it's the validity as to why I didn't bother some long reply.

Back