God ordered woman to obey man. How can any self-respecting female be christian?

ndrs

The Anti-Cthulhu
Registered Senior Member
3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy pain and thy conception; in pain thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
It is obvious, how god put down woman's right place on earth.
How can women still believe in this shit book?

What book of the bible are you quoting? If it is one from the old testament than I can tell you that a lot of Christians believe only in the new testament. According to them the old testament is just there for historical background.

2:23 On that day there came to him Sadducees, they that say that there is no resurrection: and they asked him, 22:24 saying, Teacher, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. 22:25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first married and deceased, and having no seed left his wife unto his brother; 22:26 in like manner the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. 22:27 And after them all, the woman died. 22:28 In the resurrection therefore whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. 22:29 But Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven.
This is quite funny as well.. This is from St.Mathew Gospel from the new testament.

For those who don't know French well (or at all, like me). Give us an example.
I would say France is the most non-sexist nation in the world and it always has been?
Started with Jean d'Arc.. :)

Originally posted by ndrs
For those who don't know French well (or at all, like me). Give us an example.
I would say France is the most non-sexist nation in the world and it always has been?
Started with Jean d'Arc.. :)

I'm sure the French aren't sexist, actually i don't think sexism exists at all i think some people are just dickheads.

But the language is sexist, by which i mean they name objects according to sex. le is feminine and la is male. Or is it the other way around? my year 10 french is a bit rusty!

Joanie of the Arc, she is a nice story, that's all.

ndrs - yeah, your 2nd quote is from the new testament, but it is quoting from the old testament! The Sadducees weren't Christians.

Colossians 3:22
Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

"Servants" was incorrectly translated in the KJV. The proper word translation is "slaves".

How can any self-respecting human be Christian?

Titus 2:9
Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

Christianity is an obscenity.

even though i dont often defend christianity i would like to say that Eve was created from Adam's rib meaning they would be side by side instead of Eve being created by Adam's foot were he could walk on her. You also have to rember in the time the bible was written woman toke care of the kids and the house literatly they had no jobs they did not make income they could not vote own property or anything and that made men at that time feel mighty special and those special guys our the ones who wrote the bible.

Originally posted by postoak
If it is one from the old testament than I can tell you that a lot of Christians believe only in the new testament. According to them the old testament is just there for historical background.

I can respect someone's beliefs if they say they believe the Bible is the Word of God, and they try and follow it, as hard as that may be, considering the inconsistancies and harshness of the OT god.

I can respect someone who sees the Bible as a guideline for morality in certain parts, and uses that as an example to develop their own personal moral code. Some of Jesus' teachings were the basic beginnings of humanism.

But I can't respect it when people pick and choose what they believe, depending on what helps their current argument at the time. That's simple hypocrasy.

How can one believe that the Bible is a Holy Book, and then discard parts that don't apply to them? I'm sure their God appreciates that.

In French "le" is masculine and "la" is feminine.

But other languages make these distinctions to, although not very obvious:

"the girl, SHE stands on the lawn" IMMEDIATELY gives away that the English language thinks of girls as being female.

Originally posted by A4Ever
"the girl, SHE stands on the lawn" IMMEDIATELY gives away that the English language thinks of girls as being female.
?!?!? :eek:

Umm... what else would a girl be?

Other than that, your point is well taken... I believe that all of the romance languages have gender specific forms.

~Raithere

It's still a bit sexist to let females have different titles depending on their marital status. Where as man is always man..

Originally posted by ndrs
It's still a bit sexist to let females have different titles depending on their marital status. Where as man is always man..
I agree, partially... however, Ms is proper regardless of martial status. I try to use this when the occasion arises. More ubiqiutous is the he/she his/hers bifurcation. In these cases I use they and theirs, which, while antiquated is actually still proper.

~Raithere

Christian aren't supposed to believe only parts of the Bible and ignore others. The various authors of the New testament only had the Jewish old Testament. The New Testament was written after Jesus, who came to fulfill what was written in the Law (OT), not to annull it. The laws of the OT regarding women were actually revolutionary at the time. Read up a little and you will see that women weren't much more than posessions and a sign of wealth. They had no rights.

Weedguy is right: God did not intend women to be trampled on. His laws were there to keep the peace and ensure prosperity. The law was there to teach God's authority, not to give men licence for dominion. Why do you think adultery is forbidden? Not to protect the man! Taking care of widows was also a command.

Deuteronomy 24:5
When a man takes a new wife, he shall not go out with the army nor be charged with any duty; he shall be free at home one year and shall give happiness to his wife whom he has taken.

1 Cor.7:4___The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

Prov.5___
15___Drink water from your own cistern
__________And fresh water from your own well.
16___Should your springs be dispersed abroad,
__________Streams of water in the streets?
17___Let them be yours alone
__________And not for strangers with you.
18___Let your fountain be blessed,
__________And rejoice in the wife of your youth.

They OT is to be taken seriously. We were only freed from those laws so that we could uphold the reason for which they were made: love for God and for each other. We do not stone adulterers anymore, because Jesus has shown each of us to be adulterers, and forgiven us.

As for being servants and slaves:
The ten commandments start with the sentence:
"I am the Lord your God, who delivered you out of slavery..." We were bought by Him as slaves...

John 15:15
No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.

Romans 6:6
knowing this, that our [Eph 4:22; Col 3:9] old self was [Gal 2:20; 5:24; 6:14] crucified with Him, in order that our [Rom 7:24] body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;

Romans 6:16
Do you not [Rom 11:2; 1 Cor 3:16; 5:6; 6:2, 3, 9, 15, 16, 19; 9:13, 24] know that when you present yourselves to someone as [John 8:34; 2 Pet 2:19] slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of [Rom 6:21, 23] sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

Romans 6:17
But [Rom 1:8; 2 Cor 2:14] thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that [2 Tim 1:13] form of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and having been [John 8:32; Rom 6:22; 8:2] freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

Ms, rather than Mrs or Miss, is a USA shorthand first used in the 1950s, saw a massive explosion of use with the rise of political correctness, and is not part of King's English.

A digression into proper grammer

Originally posted by Adam
Ms, rather than Mrs or Miss, is a USA shorthand first used in the 1950s, saw a massive explosion of use with the rise of political correctness, and is not part of King's English.
Sorry mate, but it’s quite proper over here. We got rid of the King long ago. ;)
Language changes, that’s its nature. Those who insist that it remain constant are simply being foolish and ignoring linguistic history.

The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. Copyright © 1996

25. Ms.
Many of us think of Ms. or Ms as a very recent invention of the women’s movement, but in fact the term was first suggested as a convenience to writers of business letters by such publications as the Bulletin of the American Business Writing Association (1951) and The Simplified Letter, issued by the National Office Management Association (1952). Along with many others, champions of women’s rights saw the virtues of the term and soon advocated its use in more general contexts, as is evidenced by the founding of Ms. magazine in 1972.

1. The form Ms. or Ms is now widely used in both professional and social contexts. Thus the term stands as a highly successful language reform—probably because people value its usefulness. As a courtesy title, Ms. serves exactly the same function as Mr. does for men, and like Mr. it may be used with a last name alone or with a full name: Ms. Pemberton; Ms. Miriam E. Pemberton.

2. Using Ms. obviates the need for the guesswork involved in figuring out whether to address someone as Mrs. or Miss: you can’t go wrong with Ms. Whether the woman you are addressing is married or unmarried, has changed her name or not, Ms. is always correct. And the beauty of Ms. is that this information becomes irrelevant, as it should be—and as it has always been for men.

3. Of course, some women may indicate that they prefer to use the title Miss or Mrs., and in these cases it only makes sense to follow their wishes.
and
Kenneth G. Wilson (1923–). The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993.

Ms., Ms
are variants of a title (pronounced MIZ or MUHZ) used in direct address to women regardless of marital status. Like Miss and Mrs., Ms. is a Standard locution, especially in Formal and business correspondence. Some women insist on it; others prefer Miss or Mrs. Where you can, try to anticipate and meet individual preferences. Spell the plural either Mss. or Mses.

~Raithere

Back